Profile for PoCo > Reviews

Content by PoCo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

PoCo (Vancouver, BC Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Double Feature Gift Set)
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Double Feature Gift Set)
DVD ~ Bill Murray
46 used & new from CDN$ 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic, Sept. 27 2010
Having seen the original movies when they came out in theatres, I wanted to share the experience with my children. These movies remain funny and engaging. The first is clearly the better of they but since the set is relatively inexpensive, it's well worth getting both. Some of the jokes are a little dated and there were more adult-focused jokes then I originally remembered.

Deliver Us from Evil
Deliver Us from Evil
by David Baldacci
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Really a 3.5 star book, Aug. 10 2010
This review is from: Deliver Us from Evil (Hardcover)
I gave the book 4 stars only to offset the 3 star reviews that already existed. I think this is a case of a book being a 3.5 star. I liked the book and it kept me truning the pages. The chapters were all pretty short so it was a great book for reading on the run as well.

The plot itself was decent but nothing overly different from the multitude of Ludlum-like books. I agree with a previous reviewer that the focus on torture may be a little much for the reader to take (it was too much for me too).

I also thought there was a little too simplistic of a "oh well" attitude amongst the characters. Two volunteered to walk into likely death when that was not needed, one character forgave an attempted killer with no more than an "aw shucks", other characters awkwardly betrayed at strange times for not apparent reason.

So while it was mostly a fun read it isn't a masterpiece.

Nine [Blu-ray]
Nine [Blu-ray]
27 used & new from CDN$ 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the .... mediocre, July 7 2010
This review is from: Nine [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Good points:
- Kate Hudson, Penelope Cruz and Nicole Kidman in slinky outfits (all very good)
- Interesting character study of the main protagonist

Bad points:
- Cheating wives & husbands that are deemed part of the cultural scene (really?)
- The protagonist is kind of stereotypical
- The movie doesn't flow so much as ramble from one skimpy-outfit song sequence to the next

Over-all, unless you are dying to see the actresses in lingerie (or close to it) I'd skip this as anything but a slow-night rental.

The Time Traveler's Wife / Le temps n'est rien (Bilingual)
The Time Traveler's Wife / Le temps n'est rien (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Rachel McAdams
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the book, July 7 2010
I started but did not finish the book. I found the book jumped around too much. But so many people thought so highly of the book that I figured I would give the movie a chance but I honestly thought I would end up fast-forwarding though the movies.

The reality was very different. I found the movie captivating. Yes it still jumped around a bit but the directors made it work pretty seamlessly. I found the characters believable and engaging. The movie essentially is a bit of fitting puzzle pieces together (so it is not completely linear like the standard plotlines of guy meets girl, has issues that look insurmountable, solves issues, end of movie) as well as a study of some of the main characters.

Very enjoyable fare. Highly recommended if you like movies like Last of the Mohicans (and yes I realise that is a linear movie), and/or Crash.

The Book of Eli / Le Livre d'Elie (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
The Book of Eli / Le Livre d'Elie (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Denzel Washington
Price: CDN$ 9.98
19 used & new from CDN$ 5.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Some flash not a lot of pop, June 29 2010
I really was looking forward to this movie. I like Denzel Washington as an actor. I was disappointed in the movie. I think the director may have been waffling between making this a serious movie or making it outlandish (in a wacky way). Most of the secondary characters in the movie are essentially caricatures, over-act, and disturb the "seriousness" of the movie in general. The post-apocalypotic theme is interesting but it feels like this movie should have been called "The Road: Extreme Carnage". Some of the fight scenes are fantastic (small snipits of the type of Kill Bill stuff).

Have a Little Faith: A True Story
Have a Little Faith: A True Story
by Mitch Albom
207 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A darn good fire-side story, April 21 2010
I generally like Mitch Albom's books so I wanted to give this a read. As a lot of books do, given the time constraints of reality, this one languished on my To-Read list. I ended up finding a copy on a somewhat lazy weekend recently and ended up finishing it within 24 hours and am really glad to have done so.

The story captivated me. While I was expecting to look for some sort of message in the book, I ended up enjoying it for the simple pleasure of "hearing" a story. I liked the way the author revealed little bits about his chief protagonists here and there. I usually don't really like that type of storytelling but it really worked well for me here. I found myself engaged and curious about what was going to happen next.

I liked the fact that the author really seemed to put himself out there and recognize his own human quirks and biases. This didn't feel like Mr. Albom preaching to us readers but rather a glimpse into part of his life wherein he seems to have learned a little about himself and the people around him. I guess that's why I ended the story so much; I identify fairly well with the author. I also liked the fact that unlike some mysteries or dramas I didn't find myself guessing at what happened next; I really just enjoyed finding out in due time.

And yes I did get a simple message from the book. Essentially it was that good people do exist regardless of faith and that prejudgements are tough to overcome. But the message, in my opinion, was less important than the simple journey.

Rebuilding: When Your Relationship Ends
Rebuilding: When Your Relationship Ends
by Bruce Fisher
Price: CDN$ 14.40
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this book highly enough, Jan. 6 2010
Whenever I know of someone who has separated from their spouse I immediately recommend this book. It is, in my opinion, essential reading. It lets us know that what we feel at such a time is completely NORMAL and that things do get better. It also reminds us that we have a LOT more freedom to rediscover ourselves than we ever imagined.

The book presents a series of 19 building blocks that most separated people progress through (starting with such nasties as Fear, Loneliness, Anger and even Guilt) leading all the way to Freedom. Not everyone progresses through the building blocks in the same sequence, nor in the same amount of time. Some people get stuck at some stages and, I think, this is the book's greatest strength. It reminds us that there are feelings we need to work through BEFORE we can really consider ourselves healed (or mostly healed). And we're really not very useful to ourselves (or our children) if we don't take the effort to start that healing. We deserve better. We deserve being all that we can be and progressing through those blocks will help you do so.

It is not an easy ready since it does make us really think but I have found the advice (after 3 years of being separated) is solid, practical and true .... sometimes in hindsight (as in ... "d'oh they were right").

Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People: The Eighth Epic Novel
by Dav Pilkey
Price: CDN$ 6.64
132 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Parent's View: Sounds dumb but is actually quite good, June 18 2009
As a parent, I looked at the title and just shuddered. I admit I judged the book by its cover. Then one day at a garage sale I found one of these books for dirt cheap, looked it over, and thought "why not give it a try". So I bought it. My son (7 years old) absolutely LOVED it. I ended up getting the entire series. Despite a title that leaves me with a bad first impression I am quite thrilled with the Captain Underpants storyline. Sure some (ok lots) of the humour is juvenile but they also have some genuinely intelligent humour. One of my favorites is a chapter that is titled something along the lines of "to make a long story short". The entire chapter consists of the words "he fell" (or something like that.

The best parts: My son has a very hard time putting them down, my 6-year old daughter likes going through them even though she can't quite read yet, and I find them quirky, funny, and entertaining.

The worst part: My kids have trashed a few of the books (from over-reading if you can believe that) and I will likely have to replace them!

Boys, Girls & Body Science: A First Book About Facts of Life
Boys, Girls & Body Science: A First Book About Facts of Life
by Meg Hickling
Price: CDN$ 13.68
45 used & new from CDN$ 6.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book ... good information and easy presentation, June 18 2009
My kids (6-year-old girl & 7-year-old boy) have recently been asking questions about sex and their bodies. They have also been making a bunch of body-part comments. So I thought it was time to answer their questions but I wasn't sure what I should tell them. I chose this book because it was rated for their age group on the Amazon.com website.

I am very happy with the book. It does a really good job of presenting the material in an honest and clininical manner yet still manages to stay interesting to kids.

I believe it made my "talk" with the kids so much easier. I actually have seen the kids leaf through the book on their own at times too so I know it caught their attention/interest.

I highly recommend this book!

I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
by Terrence Real
Price: CDN$ 14.44
97 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings to light a lot of what drives men, April 18 2007
This was a somewhat difficult read for two reasons: some of the terminology was a tad beyond me, and it painfully brought to light a lot of my own personal issues and showed how they drove me. But in the end, it was well worth the time and effort to read. You simply can't work on fixing a problem until you understand how it came about. This book helps tremendously to that end. This book is also worth reading if you are a woman who suspects your male partner is depressed. Men and women do handle depression very differently and that creates huge problems in relationships. This book details those differences really well. As someone who is depressed, I took a lot of comfort from essentially just coming to the realization that I was not alone. There are many other men who suffer as I did. And knowing the forces that drove me allowed me to take conscious steps to understand them and minimize their impact on my life. While it was painful to come to that understanding since it requires an honest evaluation of your life, it is well worth in the end. You definitely become a better person.

Page: 1 | 2