Profile for S. Chamberlain > Reviews

Content by S. Chamberlain

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

S. Chamberlain (Rowlett, TX United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Chaosphere
Chaosphere
Offered by cdbasement canada
Price: CDN$ 7.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.94

5.0 out of 5 stars [local website]eview, Aug. 12 2003
This review is from: Chaosphere (Audio CD)
I would've done my own review but after reading this one I think this one would fit more to what i'm trying to say so here.
This is truly the music your parents would not understand. Meshuggah unleashes the adrenaline-charged, deafening noise bomb "Chaosphere" (Nuclear Blast) on a load of unsuspecting listeners. If it's aggression you're looking for, with a beaker-full of psychosis tossed in for sonic measure, Meshuggah is where your search will end. And unless you want Mom and Dad to worry about you, you should probably hide this one under your pillow.
It took Jens Kidman (vocals), Marten Hagsterom and Frederik Thordendal (guitars), Gustaf Hielm (bass) and Tomas Haake (drums) three years to amass this mangled and gnarled assortment of mayhem. There is not an ounce of sanity to be found within the self-produced and aptly-titled "Chaosphere". One must wonder just what events took place to have inspired the writing of such a cataclysmic blend of sounds and lyrics. This release is the sixth in a series of relentless aural attacks by this Swedish-based band... and it doesn't let up for a minute.
In an era where most CDs include upwards of 12 songs, "Chaosphere" has included 8 powerhouse tracks that pack a huge and damaging punch to the eardriums. With titles like "New Millenium Cyanaide Christ", "The Mouth Licking What You've Bled" and "'The Exquisite Machinery of Torture" - no one will make the mistake of thinking this is going to be a fun-filled, joyride. It's more like this: if you don't want to end up being committed to an insane asylum for the musically misunderstood, wear headphones... AT ALL TIMES.

Slayer - War At The Warfield: Live 2001 [Import]
Slayer - War At The Warfield: Live 2001 [Import]
DVD ~ Tom Araya
Price: CDN$ 22.98
8 used & new from CDN$ 12.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the long overdue wait, July 29 2003
After months and months of delays (original release date was in Feb.), War at the Warfield finally got released and boy was it worth the wait. I think they hit the nail on every song they played and it was a great song selection (a lil bit from each release). Much like Metallica, they don't move that much but there is such craftsmanship with their instruments that your just in a gaze of watching that. I would've liked one more song from Diabolus (would've prefered Perversions of Pain or Bitter Peace), but i'm not greedy and I certainly won't complain. The camera work is excellent and doesn't shift too much to dizzy the watcher (just watch Korn's Live DVD though I doubt many Slayer fans listen to Korn). I think I speak for everyone when I say that i'm stoked that the master of drums Dave Lombardo is back in the lineup, but this is kind of a good farewell to Paul Bosteph who filled a big spot to the best of his capabilites. This is well worth any Slayer fan's money or maybe someone who just wants to get introduced to Slayer.

Harmful If Swallowed
Harmful If Swallowed
Price: CDN$ 18.71
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanity in the best way possible, July 22 2003
This review is from: Harmful If Swallowed (Audio CD)
I first saw Dane Cook on the Comedy Central Presents debut a long time ago, and let me tell you I don't think i've ever in my human life laughed so hard and so much in my life. At times it felt like I had done about 1000 sit ups because my stomach was so sore from laughing. I think the main reason Dane is so hilarious is that what he says is so true. I know what your thining what comedian doesn't, but with Dane is so much more true. For example, "Don't Tickle Me" in which he says that it always start out all hahahaha and ends horribly. When has this never been the case as a kid to where your mother or sister are tickling you and just never stop. His words speak so true on such subjects as the kool-aid man, speak n' spell, and slip n' slide. I strongly suggest you check out Dane's cd if you want to laugh your @ss off. Also check out the man who beat him out in the Comedy Central vote of best comedian which is the sadistic acoustic playing Stephen Lynch.

Did My Time (2 Mixes) (3 Track
Did My Time (2 Mixes) (3 Track
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 9.70
11 used & new from CDN$ 0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time, July 22 2003
When I first found out "Did My Time" was going to be in the Tomb Raider movie I was more than happy to see the movie about 10 times just to hear and truely grasp the song. Thankfully Korn saved me some money and made a cd single for it.
"Did My Time" is a lot in the same vein of "Here To Stay" but its not a carbon copy either. It has a very grooving pace to it and Jonathan has never sounded better. If this track is any indication of whats on the next album then wow this will be right up there with the rest of their releases.
I've never been a huge fan of remixes and this remix didn't change my opinion. I thought the Here To Stay remix on Untouchables ruined the end of the cd and hopefully the next album doesn't have a "special" remix.
Their cover of "One" was one of the better performances of the night (which isn't saying much considering who else played). Although it would've been great to play the complete version, thats MTV for you always wanting everything stripped for time so they can play another Real World episode.
This single is definetly worth buying and besides its only 3.99 at Best buy. You can't really argue with that. I've downloaded both Did My Time and One with their best qualities, and needless to say this cd has much better sound to them than anything Winmx or Kazaa can offer.

God Hates Us All
God Hates Us All
Price: CDN$ 15.47
24 used & new from CDN$ 4.51

3.0 out of 5 stars God, I hate Tom's lyrics, July 14 2003
This review is from: God Hates Us All (Audio CD)
Before you already bash this is coming from a pretty big Slayer fan. I think Reign In Blood, South of Heaven, and Seasons in the Abyss are some of the best metal releases ever. I also think Diabolus En La Musica was a very stellar album that helped them reinvent themselves. Well, this album I think musically and vocally this is one of Slayer's great releases, but Tom's lyrics are atrocious compared to his past releases.
"Disciple" however gets the album started in grand fashion and left me very excited for the rest of the album From "Disciple" to "New Faith" are amazing tracks which ever way you want to look at it. "Threshold" is where things go down hill. "Threshold" is filled with randon nothings from Tom's lyrics which are pointless and retarded. Each track past them gives Fred Durst a very good name.
Musically this is a big step up from Diabolus and is much more aggressive. While on Diabolus, they experimented with different sounds and at times even melodies. Well, on God Hates Us All, they show no mercy and are just punishing. "New Faith" is very reminiscent of a Hatebreed or any type of hardcore song. "Threshold" musically is one of the better tracks and has amazing drumming by Paul Bosteph. Each track is the fastest and heaviest tracks Slayer has done since Reign In Blood.
Overall, i'd say that God Hates Us All is more like 3.5 stars and maybe even four, but I just can't enjoy this release as much as their previous efforts. Mainly because Tom and Kerry's writing skills just were horrible and decent at very best. I hope with the return of Dave Lombardo that the writing of the next album is back up to par of what Slayer is capable of.

The Impossibility of Reaso
The Impossibility of Reaso
Price: CDN$ 15.20
23 used & new from CDN$ 10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I was expecting, June 22 2003
Let me start out by saying I was not a fan of Pass Out To Existence. I thought Chimaira was just your run of the mill nu metal Roadrunner band. I thought Mark's vocals were repititive, the drums were too, and electronic mix ins just didn't mix in. My thoughts have now changed with Impossibility of Reason. When I first heard Cleansation its like I was listening to Slayer's Reign In Blood all over again.
Mark's scream vocals seemed to have gotten better since their previous outing. It has a much more deeper growl to it. Also I was amazed by the melodies he mixed into choruses on this album. I think the lyrics can get better but i'm not picky so good enough.
Musically it took a drastic change. There are no more regular boring riffs that left me needing coffee to stay up for the listen. Now its filled with Slayer type solos and more original riffs. The drumming also has improved drastically. I thought the last album the bass drums were too loud and you couldn't hear all of it. Well, this has changed as well (thanks in part to Collin Richardson whose working on Machine Head's new album which hopefully is better)
Overall my favs so far are Cleansation and Down Again but this is only first listen folks i'm sure it will change each listen. So far i'd say this is the strongest metal outing of the year, but i've heard the new Blood Has Been Shed is truly amazing. We'll see

St. Anger
St. Anger
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 43.40
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.86

4.0 out of 5 stars St(ripped) Anger, June 6 2003
This review is from: St. Anger (Audio CD)
After two releases of dissappointing material from the Loads, Metallica decided to strip away a lot of layers it has had in the past. Gone are the epics like Welcome Home or Fade To Back, the solos are non existent, and the techinical aspect of their first 4 albums are gone as well. But to the point, I love the songs to start off but there are two problems I have with this record and only two.
First, the production I think is a little too raw, and Lar's drumming sounds like Slipknot's trash can drums. He overuses the snare drum and it gets old pretty quick. Lars' drumming is very straightforward and hardly anything breathtaking other than he can still go at a rapid place, but he doesn't really go anywhere with it. I'm all for a raw production of an album (Down's records, Korn's self titled, and Kill Em' All), but I think they tried too hard to make it raw and made it so raw that its not loud enough.
James vocals are just as raw as the music. This I find a good thing however, I hate how Protools are being overused for vocals in today's musicians. It shows a kind of falseness in true talent. James however didn't use any Protools on his voice and it shows, but like James said Protools makes a turd into a diamond but all in all its still just a turd. His lyrics are more straightforward than usual and some are just out of place (tick tocks in Frantic, flush it out in title track)
Second, solos where are the solos? I think some of the songs dragged on or just seemed to because of the absence of the solos. "Some Kind of Monster" drags on and on simply because Kirk doesn't grace us with his talent. Guitars overall are played with a very fast pace that leave most bands behind. The riffs are very Helmet and Korn like with start and stop breakdowns.
Other than that I think the songs are killer. While some songs are stronger than others, each time I listen to it another song will grow on me. I won't compare this to the first four because those records were flawless and this isn't. I think this is above and beyond Reload which was the last release of their own material. I think this is a sign of progress in their forthcoming material which hopefully won't be too far away. "Dirty Window", "Invisible Kid" (opening riff sounds like Nothing riffs from Meshuggah but thats about as close as it gets to Meshuggah), and "Frantic" are by far the standouts in this record.

Laughing City Ep
Laughing City Ep
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 28.22
7 used & new from CDN$ 6.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright Future, May 29 2003
This review is from: Laughing City Ep (Audio CD)
Imagine for a moment that Bjork took her piano and electronic beats and got with Radiohead's more alternative sound. Mix that with a spice of the Beatles (yet again who doesn't) and you'll more than likely end up with Eisley. I had the pleasure of witnessing this band live twice. Once it was opening up for a local Dallas band (The Broadcast), and the second was opening up for Coldplay. Thats how fast this band's success has risen. "I Wasn't Prepared" starts the EP off in good fashion with mellow dramatic lyrics with the same type of music. "Tree Tops" is very reminiscent of Bjork's "Venus As A Boy" except with a more carnival feel and with guitars. "Over The Mountains" is probably the best cut on here and probably the catchiest song on the effort. Most of the time with EPs that are that good, it only gets better (Tool-Opiate, NiN-Broken). So i'd expect an even better outing with the full length. They have certainly risen the bar for the major label debut, but hopefully they can pull through. I'd totally recommend this for fans of Bjork, Radiohead, or Dredg. For the moment, this is pretty hard to find in any Best Buy or Circuit City. So i'd just buy it from cdnow if you don't want to go through the trouble.

Unbreakable (Bilingual)
Unbreakable (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Bruce Willis
Price: CDN$ 9.97
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality is always the best thriller, May 17 2003
This review is from: Unbreakable (Bilingual) (DVD)
In a time of Marvel movie madness, I still think to this day the best superhero movie is Unbreakable. There is nothing that keeps people interested and intrigued more than reality, which is what I think the Marvel movies lack.
Instead of becoming a hero through some mutation or genetic altering, David Dunn becomes a hero through self discovery and aid from his so called friend Elijah. David remains doubtful of his special powers and looks at it simply in tune conscious. David is unable to be injured and starts to discover this after a freak train crash in which 131 people are killed, and David is left the soul survivor. Retracing his steps through the past, David discovers his in depth perception of the people around him and being Unbreakable.
Villians always are stereotyped into always wanting to take over the world. Well the closest thing to a villain in this movie is Elijah. His only plan is to discover himself and find a place in this chaotic world.
I find this to be M. Night Shyamalan's best movie. Although i'm a big fan of Sixth Sense and Signs, I find this to be the most thrilling simply because raw interpretation of reality. I totally recommend this movie for anyone that are big fans of drama or suspense. If your wanting a Sixth Sense or Signs kind of movie that will make you jump and scream then you might be a little dissappointed.

The Golden Age of Grotesque
The Golden Age of Grotesque
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 49.26
10 used & new from CDN$ 2.96

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Dark Carnival, May 13 2003
Sure, this is no Antichrist Superstar or Holy Wood, but I think its better if you realize what exactly this album is supposed to signify. It draws its main influence from Weimar-era cabaret and Dandyism. Most people without even the blink of an eye would scream sell-out (which has been yelled numerous time for Manson). Yet if you actually read the influences and roots of the writing process of this its that much better.
Lyrically this is probably one Manson's worst efforts. I was truely amazed by how thought provoking Holy Wood was. In contrast, this record's lyrics aren't nearly as controversial or religious as previous efforts. The main topic of this album seems to be relationships (Slutgarden, Paranoir). However Ka Boom Ka Boom refers to a record exec. bashing the songs saying they weren't "rocking enough".
Musically I think this was actually a step up from the very simplistic nature of Holy Wood. I'm not saying the music was bad, but the main focus of that album was the lyrics. With this effort though, the music seems to make more of a mental image than the lyrics. "Doll Digga..." sounds like 30's swing dance number only Manson style riffs. The title track screams out with a carnival/circus kind of feel to it. However "MOBscene" sounds like "Disposable Teens" which sounds like "Beautiful People". Notice those two tracks were both the opening singles as if to suggest an album reminiscent of Antichrist Superstar.
If your a Manson fan hoping for the deep lyrics of Holy Wood then you'll more than likely be dissappointed. If your looking for the Industrial sound of Antichrist Superstar then you'll be dissappointed. Yet if you were open minded about Mechanical Animals then I see no reason why you wouldn't like this album as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7