Profile for L. A. Strom > Reviews

Content by L. A. Strom

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

L. A. Strom "JennySayQuah" (Seattle, WA USA)

Jezebel (Bilingual) [Import]
Jezebel (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ Bette Davis
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 12.36
8 used & new from CDN$ 4.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrific performance, pointless and annoying story, July 11 2004
This review is from: Jezebel (Bilingual) [Import] (DVD)
The lead character is so very manipulative and knee-jerk reactionary that it's a wonder anyone fellow story charadctput up with her. Her love for her fiance played by a very wooden Henry Fonda seems non-existant, and when he leaves her after an impossible humiliating stunt of hers, she suddenly can't live without him. The story is drawing-room dull, all manners and behaviors. None of the characters are interesting enough to give a rat for. The dramatic ending is inconsequential and improbable.

Mind Mapping: How to Liberate Your Natural Genius
Mind Mapping: How to Liberate Your Natural Genius
by Michael Gelb
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 17.51
16 used & new from CDN$ 6.28

3.0 out of 5 stars The info is on side 1 and side 4, forget the rest, Jan. 25 2004
Artists and writers will like the idea and the practise of mind mapping. Since there's really not that much available on it, I picked up the tape set at the library. As a creative person, I'm always looking for non-linear ways to organize my thoughts on paper, and it's exciting to run into the mind mapping concept. However, it is presented in these tapes in a very dull way, by a droning narrator who reads from a script, which is an injustice to it.
If you listen to these tapes, rest assured that there is a detailed description of the technique on side 4, and a laborious introduction on side 1 of the tapes. I disagree with one reviewer's comments that he's trying to drum up further business, as I found just the opposite. He fails to generate any excitement about it at all, and seems to be appealing to dull uncreative people rather than the creative types who could take this and make it into something amazing. Based on a quick web search I made, it hasn't really caught on among creative types and there aren't many inpiring (or otherwise) new examples to see.
My recommendation is to listen to sides 1 and 4 of 8, get one of those giant desk blotters (or cut open a paper grocery bag), and give mind mapping a try. Then put the whole tape set aside and experiment on your own. It's a simple concept, really, so cut the bow line and take off with it. Be grateful to the people who brought mind mapping to you, and then leave them in your wake.

Men With Brooms
Men With Brooms
Offered by Moviezone
Price: CDN$ 8.99
25 used & new from CDN$ 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch it for a few brilliantly inpired details!, Nov. 16 2003
This review is from: Men With Brooms (DVD)
The events commentator for the Golden Broom bonspiel in "Men With Brooms" is priceless. It rates right up there with the Mike Meyers turn as the hockey color commentator who has taken a few too many pucks to the head in "Mystery, Alaska" and Fred Willard as the dropped-on-his-head-at-birth dog show color commentator in "Best of Show."
For curling fans, what Lennox does with a bottle of hooch, a match, a curling stone and a metaphor is a pretty beautiful setup.
The notion of a curling star from Butte complete with groupies, cheerleaders and an entourage is just too funny for words.
The drunken ruminations of the main characters as they sit oblivious as great huge cauldrons empty out behind them is a sight to behold.
Tremendous movie, great fun, Highly recommended!

Final Cut Pro 3 Editing Workshop
Final Cut Pro 3 Editing Workshop
by Tom Wolsky
Price: CDN$ 46.48
16 used & new from CDN$ 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a how-to, a course in editing theory and aesthetic, April 9 2003
I buy software tutorial books for something more, and Tom Wolsky's book on Final Cut Pro is a marvel. If you're new to video editing, you can use the tutorial footage provided and play along, lesson by lesson. But unlike, say, Adobe Classroom in a Book books (which I like very much), Tom uses sidebar bits to go far beyond the nuts and bolts and give you the tools to make editing decisions that will make your work... work. There is an art to editing, and with all the accessible tools and programs and software out there, Tom's instruction lets you rise above the crowd with finished videos that are elegant and communicate better than if you just competently assembled a story. If you are an experienced editor, the book is organized and indexed so that you can easily find tricks, tips and advice that you need. But if you're like me, you will find yourself reading the in-depth background sidebars and discovering that your understanding of post-production skyrockets.

Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life: How to Use Feng Shui to Get Love, Money, Respect and Happiness
by Karen Rauch Carter
Price: CDN$ 12.26
72 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like being shot from a cannon!, Jan. 7 2001
Life isn't what you hoped for? Household not working for you? Get this book, and at the same time get the book _Clear Your Clutter_ by Karen Kingston, and you'll have all the Feng Shui tools a Western person needs to start to tackle improving the energy that affects everything in your life. You don't need strength of character, a pleasing personality, or organizational ability to take productive action. Start with the Kingston book, which will set you to pouncing on your clutter with a clarity of purpose you probably haven't had in decades, then move on to _Move Your Stuff_ and really start viewing your environment with deliberation.
I have read other books on Feng Shui, and these two are remarkable in their ability to inspire. _Move Your Stuff_ is great fun, well-written, and will explain things quickly. Guidelines are specific enough to let you take action (including identifying Feng Shui challenges so big you may want to call in the pros), but not so cookbook that you can't be creative about things and make your living space truly inspiring to you. Get this book. Get this book. Get this book. It's more fun than you can imagine.

Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
by Karen Kingston
Price: CDN$ 10.82
152 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book rare book has revolutionized my life!, Dec 25 2000
I can't remember ever recommending a book as whole-heartedly as this one. I don't consider myself particularly mired in material stuff or big on soft science and Eastern thought, but this book opened my eyes to a new definition of clutter and why to do away with it. I read the book halfway, and started on a cleaning jag that lasted all night. I slept for two hours, and kept at it with more energy than I've had in a very long time. I have freed myself from a large number of things I had tepid or negative associations with.
I ended up with a lot of great stuff I wanted to get rid of, too good to just toss, so the Salvation Army came by for 3/4 of my clothing, half my CDs and books, and I had only begun! I "re-gifted" and "re-purposed" a lot of tremendous, perfect stuff that people have been thrilled to receive. It's difficult to describe the excitement I feel for this process, one I FINALLY understand on a level deeper than intellectual. I truly believe that anyone who scoffs at this process has not tried it. You don't even need to be open-minded about it. Just try it and be prepared for change in your life.
The bagua map is a fascinating reference tool... to test Feng Shui, I compared the map to the parts of my life that aren't hitting the marks (or are), and I was very surprised. My muddled finances (I make good money, but manage it very poorly) were reflected in my shabby bathroom and a few kitchen cupboards full of unused cooking things.)
I've not had this much clarity in my life for a very long time. It's more than housecleaning, it's transcendent. (By the way, the internal cleansing thing is also not a bad idea. If it weirds you out, skip over it, but you can do less extreme or invasive cleansings than Kingston suggests, with supplement programs like Kylea sells.)
Get this book. Get this book. Get this book. It's really exciting.

Paris
Paris
by Elisabeth Morris
7 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Took three guides with us, this is the one we used., June 24 2000
This review is from: Paris (Paperback)
Just got back from five days in Paris; this is the guidebook we referred to again and again. The walking tour approach to getting to know neighborhoods is great to read in advance, and great for choosing a hotel (Cheap Sleeps in Paris for that task). The book is small in size so easy to carry. The best of the lot.

Funny Face (1957 Film)
Funny Face (1957 Film)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 44.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 18.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally enjoyable, Jan. 9 2000
This review is from: Funny Face (1957 Film) (Audio CD)
I got this record in 1963 and wore the thing out. I never even saw the movie until the 1980s, and was thrilled. The music is wonderful, the album is well composed so you don't need to be familiar with the movie to enjoy it. Good Sunday music.