Profile for Leslie Mac > Reviews

Content by Leslie Mac

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Leslie Mac (Philadelphia, PA)

The Imus Ranch: Cooking for Kids and Cowboys
The Imus Ranch: Cooking for Kids and Cowboys
by Deirdre Imus
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive Effort, April 30 2004
The late Dainen Katashiri Roshi, mentor of author Natalie Goldberg ("Writing Down the Bones", "Wild Mind"), said it best, in typical, Buddhist simplicity: "Make positive effort for the good." This is what the Imus Ranch, and this book, are about.

Oscar Wilde Discovers America: A Novel
Oscar Wilde Discovers America: A Novel
by Louis Edwards
Price: CDN$ 23.94
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Flat, uni-dimensional characters ..., July 4 2003
... fraught with utterly stiff, pretentious, unnatural dialogue, even for the 19th Century. A disappointment.

The Book of Secrets
The Book of Secrets
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Respite ..., July 4 2003
This review is from: The Book of Secrets (Audio CD)
... from the hard, often jagged edges of our trouble-laden world. If I could momentarily go back into time, about 115 years ago, and dance in a field of sunflowers, in Oscar Wilde's arms, to the heavenly Celtic strains of "The Mummers Dance", I would consider my life to be complete.

Angels & Cigarettes
Angels & Cigarettes
Offered by CAMusicFiendz
Price: CDN$ 19.23
10 used & new from CDN$ 0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, Jan. 15 2003
This review is from: Angels & Cigarettes (Audio CD)
I heard "Train Song" on WXPN, Philadelphia's alternative music station, while driving to an appointment. At the time, I didn't know the artist or title of the song. However, I was utterly entranced; as if in another world - it's fortunate I didn't have an accident. I patiently endured three more(and infinitely less captivating) songs, including Squeeze's hideous "Black Coffee in Bed", waiting for the back-announce of the magical song I'd heard at the beginning of the set. I couldn't believe it - the music host didn't back-announce the set she'd just played before moving on to the next one. But I knew that the station's website had a wonderful feature in which listeners can search the daily playlists to identify a song they'd heard. I mentally noted the time I'd heard the song - about 12:55 pm, October 30, 2002, and looked it up as soon as I got home. Again - thwarted! The link to the playlist feature was down. And stayed down - for weeks. But I checked over and over again, until it finally was up and running. That's how captivated I was by Eliza Carthy's "Train Song". I knew I'd identified the right song on the playlist when I checked an audio sample on the CDNOW site to verify - although it was pretty much a simple process of deduction because I knew that the singer wasn't Tracy Chapman, certainly not David Gray, and God forbid, not Squeeze. This song, and the entire CD by Eliza Carthy, is literally spellbinding.