Profile for adriana > Reviews

Content by adriana

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

adriana "alisa" (Los Angeles,CA,USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
185 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A cute little book, Feb. 14 2004
After reading this book, I"m not quite so sure why it is known as a great classic.And then it hit me.This is exactly the type of stuff that the massess love to read-accessible,easy,light,and fun, with a good side and a bad side.Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a book being simple, but there is something wrong when a book is shallow, and that is just what I feel the problem with this story is.
There are the good characters who are simply perfect,that everybody loves, and there are the bad ones, with not a single redeeming quality whom everyone despises and looks down upon.The black people are all innocent victims, and 99% of the white people despise them.I'm sorry, but this book was just too formulatic and one dimensional.I never really could connect with the book because all the charcters seemed like paper cut-outs, instead of actual charcters. The writing is decent, but there's nothing that particularly jumps out at you, or makes you feel something.It's very standard,and very average, and there are so many lectures, and lessons, and speeches thrown our way, that it all just becomes too sticky too swallow.
Don't get me wrong, this book could work as a light read, its warm and cozy and almost comfortable, but it won't be something that emotionally bends you, or makes you think, if you're among people who desire novels that aren't so formulatic and "ready to-read".

Mulholland Drive (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Mulholland Drive (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Naomi Watts
Price: CDN$ 16.31
25 used & new from CDN$ 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical,magical,puzzling,dazzling,beautiful, Feb. 13 2004
It's easy to get wrapped up in Mulholland Drive's gorgeous imagery, and delightfully entertaining dream like sequences, but if you take the time, and give it your attention, you will see that there's more to Mulholland Dr. than the sensous delights it provides throughout. Yes, you won't be able to pinpoint each and every single event even through multiple,detailed viewings, and don't listen to the pseudo-intellectual reviewers who believe they can give you a spot on analysis of ever single thing that happened. Mulholland Drive works more like music for the eyes. You may not hear it, or "get it", but you'll feel it.Eventually.
Naomi Watts is wonderful in all her dynamic glory.The gorgeous Laura Elena Harring gives a pitch perfect performance as the sullen femme fatale "Rita".
I won't give anything away, all I'll say is that, if you don't mind something way out there, and you're a real film buff, throw in this mind bender and be delighted. I'm not one of those David Lynch fanatics(I hated Blue Velvet).But after seeing this film, I think of him as genius. It's not a movie I can guarantee everyone will love;but if you get lucky and fall in love with it, you will see Mulholland Drive the way I see it. A mindbending,seductive,multi-faceted film that comes off as dark,witty,sensual,heartfelt,and,ultimately moving,

To Kill a Mockingbird (Widescreen)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Gregory Peck
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 62.41
14 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a big deal, Feb. 8 2004
This movie, is just for a lack of better word-dry.The acting from Gregory Peck is wooden, and might I add that he is the same exact thing in every movie. Scout, who is supposed to be a cute little girl comes off as a dumb brat who you just want to smack most of the time.The film moves at a seemingly pointless slow pace, and does not really delve into its topics deeply.It just brushes them off lightly.Why people find this movie deep I"ll never know.
The book is also not particualrly mind blowing, but of the two, I'd take the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6