Profile for Faithless Juliet > Reviews

Content by Faithless Juliet

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Faithless Juliet "deezee1029" (Renton, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Named
The Named
by Marianne Curley
Price: CDN$ 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Named Good., Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: The Named (Hardcover)
The Named was good, but having just read Marianne Curley's first novel Old Magic I found that her first attempt at publishing was better. Half of the time The Named read like a book for little kids, with its words and discriptions, almost like a picture book, and then other times it went into great depth and read like fiction for young adults, you never really knew which side you were going to get.
The named deals with time travelers Ethan, and Isabel, who I have to say read like much the same person. Marianne Curley definatly needed to rework her characters, they were to simaler and a keen to the other and it was hard to justifie for the reader. In comparision to Old Magic, which had amazing character destinction, where as this book was rather lacking.
All in all The named was a good read through, its fast, and I finished it in about two days. I had read somewhere that the ending had a cliffhanger but I didn't notice one, and had I not known already that their was a another book I never would have suspected a need. Oh well, this book is a intresting read through, even though I think it still needs reworking by the author, we'll see if her next attempt is a little less rusty.

Lucky
Lucky
by Alice Sebold
Price: CDN$ 20.68
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbearably Unlucky, Jan. 14 2004
This review is from: Lucky (Hardcover)
All I could say when I was reading this book was: "God help me," It was horrible. I had just come off of the cusp of The Lovely Bones (Which was breathtaking beautiful) and I greatly looked forward to reading her first novel. I was quickly sorry for that longing. How could an author stray so differently. This was just a yawn through of her rape to which to projected unrealist characters (her family and friends) while she gave off the aoura that nothing was wronge and then all of the sudden she would burst into tears and we- the reader- would have no idea why. The chapter with just the rape in it was captivating, but that's pretty much it, and toward the end theirs a courtroom chapter that drags on forever and is completly dry when it comes to feelings and emotions. I can only hope that when Alice Sebold's next book comes out that it swims into the same vain as The Lovely Bones and not this strange and dry work that was its predecessor.

My Sister's Bones
My Sister's Bones
by Cathi Hanauer
10 used & new from CDN$ 2.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Theirs no meat on these bones..., Jan. 8 2004
This review is from: My Sister's Bones (Paperback)
My first thought on "My Sister's Bones" was a mediocer one at that, the beggining isn't really introling to the point that you can't put it down but I was determined to see it through. It does get better, after about page 80 and then its worthy of "I cant put it down" status but just when it gets intresting it goes south again and you'll find yourself wondering, "Why did I decide to read this." Cathi Hanauer's writing depicts a controdictive girl named Billie and her shaddy interpritation of her sister Cassie's anerexia. Hanauer can't seem to find her main character objectives; she wont go all the way with her boyfriend Vinnie because she's not ready but then she'll go and screw her best friends older brother in the front office of the Shell Gas Station that he works at. Billies parents were also unpleasing to read about. Her father, the surgeon, seems to know nothing about medican, while pretending to be an expert and the mother is just as lost as both her daughters. I found that I couldn't understand Cassie, or all the reasons that she became what she became, she was described as strong but couldn't manage to eat anything. The ending of this book was terrible, their was no conclusion for any of the characters. Overall Cathi Hanauer had a good idea here, telling the story of anerexia from the point of view of a family member who the desease was inflicting but she didn't go deep enough, or show a believable cast of characters to play much need emotions out that simply were not their. Much more is needed for a reader to be touched by something.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Price: CDN$ 17.52
317 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Heartfelt, Honest, Complex, and Bitersweet, Jan. 3 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
This book was Amazing, heartfelt, honest, complex, and bittersweet all mixed into one inthrowling reading experence. One I began reading I couldn't tare myself away, finding myself reading and clutching the book at odd times just to get through another page. Alice Sebold's writing is beautiful; 300 pages of poetry and lyrics that told the story of a young girls life cut short and her own stages of grief as well as her families. I recomend this book to anyone, I don't think that theirs a person of this earth who couldn't read this book and walk away with something. Amazing, I can't wait for Alice Sebolds next book.

Old Magic
Old Magic
by Marianne Curley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, Jan. 3 2004
This review is from: Old Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I must admit that when I saw the front cover for Old Magic I was intreged and so going on the "Judge a book by its cover" basis I bought it. My first impression of it wasn't steller, I've read better, but the good thing that Marianne Curley has in her writing bag of tricks is getting into a characters head. I was fasinated by Jarrod; finding it intresting to get into the head of a cursed and clumsy teenage boy. The first 30 or so pages were somewhat of a drag but it quickly picked up from there, leading to teenage angst and mideveil lore, and the ending was satisfieing. In the end this was a good over the weekend, nothing better to do read but not much else.

Children of Dune [2 Discs]
Children of Dune [2 Discs]
DVD ~ Alec Newman
Offered by Everyday Enchantments
Price: CDN$ 118.50
10 used & new from CDN$ 14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The saga of Dune is far from over..., Oct. 16 2003
This review is from: Children of Dune [2 Discs] (DVD)
This miniseries was amazing. The acting and atmosphere of Dune was breathtaking and I found myself easily sucked into the creative and dangerus world of plots within plots. Children of Dune begins a few years after where Dune left off. Now instead of a almost deserted wasteland Dune is now an emperial capital bussaling with a fast growing city and communities. The most inthralling part of this miniseries is the relationship between the royal twins Letto II and Ghanima. Pre-born from their mothers intake of the spice they litterily are living with several generations of their ancesters living inside of them. The depth of the twins love and devotion to the other leads to several murder plots and eventualy the escape and seperation of the twins in the desert. Each twin then went on and tried to live their lives without the others. Letto II went in search of a holly place that he is shown through visions where he begins his transformation into the great worm. Ghanima returns to the city and agrees to marry the son of her families greatest enimey in order to establish peace. The haunting beauty of their relationship and their sacrifices are really what makes the movie and is a must have for any SiFi fan.

Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, Book 1)
Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, Book 1)
by Anne Rice
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
218 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not amazing, Oct. 10 2003
Interview with the Vampire has in a way become required reading for any fan of vampires or the acult so many people stummble upon it and some get lost in its detailed-filled pages of eighteenth and ninteenth century life, while others identify with one of many of its intresting and magnetic characters. I found the book to be very intresting in both area's. Anne Rice has a fabulus talent with bringing a character to life on the page while at the same time painting a realistic canvas for that character to live around. I found that the many thought provoking ideas about God vs. Devil, Good vs. Evil, right vs. Wronge were all captured beautifully and let me look at these ideas of life in a completly and sometimes desturbing way. But by fare the biggest grabe that the book gives to the reader is its facinating characters: from the charming and villanis Lestat to the contimplative and regretful Louis and the woman within the child that we come to know as Claudia. The relationships that each character shares with the others is also fasinating. Mostly shown in a sexual way, Louis and Lestat both are attracted to Claudia and it is left up to the reader to truely discover how fare they all went with those feelings and the relationships between Lestat and Louis or Armond and Louis. Overall I found this book to be intresting and an inthrolling read that I couldn't put down. However though, I do not think that it is the world changing event that some fans make it out to be. Read for pleasure, but don't expect the world to change.

Hawksong: The Kiesha'ra: Volume One
Hawksong: The Kiesha'ra: Volume One
by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Atwater-Rhodes, July 9 2003
Hawksong is by far the best of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes books. I am an avid fan and have read all of her books, and with each one they get better, and this is my new favorite. The main characters, Zain and Danica are intresting and well thought through, and their incounters with eachother and fascinating, and enthralling to read through. The story had much depth, and is a intricate look into the culture that surrounds these characters. This book is a must read for any fan of fantacy or Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I was hooked after the first page. The only problem that I had was that the ending was a bit rushed, and I wanted it to go on. All in all, 5 stars.

Hamlet (Widescreen)
Hamlet (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Ethan Hawke
Price: CDN$ 8.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 2.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Somethng different., Feb. 20 2002
This review is from: Hamlet (Widescreen) (DVD)
this version of Hamlet is young and provocative. True it does lack some of the hard brashness of what made Shakespeare's original Hamlet, it does though, bring a new side to the story out. By adding shades and highlights to its charicters. Making Denmark not a country but a bussiness. Turning Ophelia into a photogropher, and Hamlet into a movie director. This version does stay true to the orininal plot even though a large amount of original sceans are cut out. But in this case that is good for this film, leaving it light and always just reaching the core of its intended emotion. All in all this movie is very good. But don't come looking for the orininal Hamlet, come looking for something different.

The Watcher in the Woods (Widescreen)
The Watcher in the Woods (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Bette Davis
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 130.11
9 used & new from CDN$ 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The mirrors, Feb. 19 2002
The mirrors in this movie always got to me.
The watcher in the woods has been one of my favorits ever sence I was a kid. Its mystery and SiFi background will always keep you guessing. The emotions in tis film are real, and as make believe as the story is, it seems real to. You can feel a mothers pain as she searched for her daughter for so many years. You can feel the wonder and excitment as we slowly descover what happend to Karen so many years ago.

Page: 1 | 2