Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools
Profile for J.Mason > Reviews

Content by J.Mason

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J.Mason (Springfield, Nova Scotia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Library: Where Life Checks Out
The Library: Where Life Checks Out
Price: CDN$ 3.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Past with the present mixed well in this story., Aug. 30 2015
I really enjoy this book as it seamlessly wove the past with the present. I am one who usually can figure out the guilty party quite early in the book, but this story was the exception. Part of the early murder was easy to solve but not all of the mysteries where as easy to come up with the solution. I really enjoyed the ending it not only gave us a conclusion to what had happened but it also solidified a cop and the partner who had his back. There is a wealth of emotions in this book, but all are well balanced. I will read something else by this author.

MACK THE WIFE (Overbearing Billionaires Book 1)
MACK THE WIFE (Overbearing Billionaires Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a romance and interesting mystery!, Aug. 30 2015
This was a better read than I expected because it had more than just a romance to keep this book going. The interesting part of this book was not about Mack(overly protected by her brothers, rich girl) but about Grady's first murder to solve as a rookie cop. I will admit I was not overly fond of Mack or Grady but there relationship and how it progressed is woven into a good story about a brother who was murdered and the family and pet he has left behind. I will admit that I am looking for reads right now that can balance the stress I am going through in my life. This book gave me the distraction I needed with a puzzle to solve. Well done! This book would have received 5 stars from me except for the graphic sex and some foul language which I did not like reading.

The Death of Perry Many Paws
The Death of Perry Many Paws
Price: CDN$ 3.93

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing slow paced book., Aug. 14 2015
I was drawn to this book by the clever title and engaging cover art. With the positive reviews, I was really looking forward to reading this book in one sitting. It did not happen! It started off well, but for me I got bogged down by the main character Tamsen. I found her diet sodas and constant introspection tedious as it did not move the story forward. There is enough detail to give the mansion and some of the characters depth. I do not want to spoil the book for future readers in delving into the obvious clues that should have led Tamsen to the truth behind Franklins murder. The ending was well thought out, but felt rushed. Overall I was disappointed at the slow pace of this book.

Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, Book 1)
Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable book with depth., Aug. 3 2015
I loved this book far more than I expected to. The mystery was easy enough to figure out, but the detective work that Hunter put into solving the crime was very interesting. I loved the fleshing out of the characters and the descriptions of the different areas that he travelled. I felt empathy for Hunter as he tries hard to connect with his daughters. It made him flawed but likeable. I really enjoyed the character Sorry as he added some fun to the book. I found myself reading this book at a slower pace than I normally would. It is a book where the words are meant to be enjoyed. Will read this author again.

Murder and Brandy Boy: A Liz Lucas Cozy Mystery Series Book 2
Murder and Brandy Boy: A Liz Lucas Cozy Mystery Series Book 2
Price: CDN$ 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay!, July 31 2015
I love dogs...therefore I am drawn to books that feature a dog. Brandy Boy is the best part of a very disappointing book. I am aware this is a pet peeve of mine, but I dislike a book where the murderer is so easy to pick out. The authour did try to give a few different scenarios as to who the guilty person was...but they felt like page fillers. The first book in this series was good, this one was predictable and boing. There are no sex scenes or graphic violence which I do appriciate.

Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery Book 1)
Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Characters., July 28 2015
A quick fun read set in a quaint English coastal setting with interesting characters. I was a little disappointed that the murder was so obviously given away early in the book. The recipes look interesting and I know I will try at least one of them. I will not continue with the series as I prefer a mystery book with a challenge. I will give the author credit for a strong straightforward female protagonist. This was a nice change.

The Tycoon's Revenge (Baby for the Billionaire, Book 1)
The Tycoon's Revenge (Baby for the Billionaire, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick summer read., June 25 2015
I was looking for a quick read that I could pick-up and put down without feeling to attached to the book. This book gave me more than I bargained for. I had difficulty getting started as it is a formula that I do not like. So how come I ended up staying with the book until the conclusion....the characters had depth! I was not pleased with the sex, but there was no violence. I was not happy with the repetitive phrases but no obvious spelling mistakes, which was a nice change. Over all the book had tensions in the different relationship it touched upon with a dose of laughter.

Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries Book 1)
Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars, but a fun read., March 16 2015
This was a fun read. A light hearted book that has a little bit of everything, humor, a touch of romance, strong characters, interesting plot and a pet(always adds to the fun). Mattie is not perfect, but very interesting. I really enjoyed the dialogue between Mattie and her friend/boss Izzy . It kept the book moving along at a nice pace. Some of this book does deal with the workings of the coroners office, but I found this educational and tastefully handled. I was able to spot early on who the killer was (which I hate), but the motive was unclear until 3/4 through the book and that is the reason I gave this book 4 1/2 stars. I will read the next book in this series.

Murder in the Family: A Hannah Kline Mystery (Hannah Kline Mysteries Book 1)
Murder in the Family: A Hannah Kline Mystery (Hannah Kline Mysteries Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 3.75

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprises!, March 16 2015
I found this book interesting but not a page turner. From reading the other reviews I expected Hannah to be more dynamic. I did enjoy the daughter as I found her emotions added much need depth to this book. This book did not contain overly detailed violent or sexual situations which I found refreshing. What really deterred from my enjoyment of this book was the murderer was obvious from the moment you met the person. Even the motive was no surprise and this was very disappointing for me.

Reckless (Mia Kazmaroff Mystery Series Book 1)
Reckless (Mia Kazmaroff Mystery Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt brat that is not worth reading about., March 1 2015
It was very difficult to finish this book, but I did! I am so glad I did not spend any money on this book. I really hated the character Mia. who is a spoilt brat who feels she is entitled to always getting her own way. The way she goes off on her own instead of listening to common sense from Burton was very irritating. This book is full of profanity which did not contribute anything to the story. There are two reasons I gave this book 1 star, one for the character Jack Burton and the other reason was so I could write this review. If you value your time try and find something else to read, I will not read anything else from this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3