Profile for J.Mason > Reviews

Content by J.Mason

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J.Mason "Crazy old dog!" (Springfield, Nova Scotia)

Page: 1 | 2
Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery Book 1)
Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Characters., July 28 2015
A quick fun read set in a quaint English coastal setting with interesting characters. I was a little disappointed that the murder was so obviously given away early in the book. The recipes look interesting and I know I will try at least one of them. I will not continue with the series as I prefer a mystery book with a challenge. I will give the author credit for a strong straightforward female protagonist. This was a nice change.

The Tycoon's Revenge (Baby for the Billionaire, Book 1)
The Tycoon's Revenge (Baby for the Billionaire, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick summer read., June 25 2015
I was looking for a quick read that I could pick-up and put down without feeling to attached to the book. This book gave me more than I bargained for. I had difficulty getting started as it is a formula that I do not like. So how come I ended up staying with the book until the conclusion....the characters had depth! I was not pleased with the sex, but there was no violence. I was not happy with the repetitive phrases but no obvious spelling mistakes, which was a nice change. Over all the book had tensions in the different relationship it touched upon with a dose of laughter.

Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries Book 1)
Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars, but a fun read., March 16 2015
This was a fun read. A light hearted book that has a little bit of everything, humor, a touch of romance, strong characters, interesting plot and a pet(always adds to the fun). Mattie is not perfect, but very interesting. I really enjoyed the dialogue between Mattie and her friend/boss Izzy . It kept the book moving along at a nice pace. Some of this book does deal with the workings of the coroners office, but I found this educational and tastefully handled. I was able to spot early on who the killer was (which I hate), but the motive was unclear until 3/4 through the book and that is the reason I gave this book 4 1/2 stars. I will read the next book in this series.

Murder in the Family: A Hannah Kline Mystery (Hannah Kline Mysteries Book 1)
Murder in the Family: A Hannah Kline Mystery (Hannah Kline Mysteries Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 3.75

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprises!, March 16 2015
I found this book interesting but not a page turner. From reading the other reviews I expected Hannah to be more dynamic. I did enjoy the daughter as I found her emotions added much need depth to this book. This book did not contain overly detailed violent or sexual situations which I found refreshing. What really deterred from my enjoyment of this book was the murderer was obvious from the moment you met the person. Even the motive was no surprise and this was very disappointing for me.

Reckless (A Burton & Kazmaroff Mysteries Book 1)
Reckless (A Burton & Kazmaroff Mysteries Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt brat that is not worth reading about., March 1 2015
It was very difficult to finish this book, but I did! I am so glad I did not spend any money on this book. I really hated the character Mia. who is a spoilt brat who feels she is entitled to always getting her own way. The way she goes off on her own instead of listening to common sense from Burton was very irritating. This book is full of profanity which did not contribute anything to the story. There are two reasons I gave this book 1 star, one for the character Jack Burton and the other reason was so I could write this review. If you value your time try and find something else to read, I will not read anything else from this author.

Kelly's Koffee Shop (Cedar Bay Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
Kelly's Koffee Shop (Cedar Bay Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 1.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, Jan. 5 2015
I started reading this book based on the positive reviews. With in a short period of time I wondered what was wrong with me as I found the characters flat and predictable. Never the less I kept reading as all the 5 star reviews made me want to find out what was so good about this book. I gave this book 3 stars because there are some characters I did enjoy, Doc. and the dog. I will even admit the ending was even though some what predictable, was well written. My review is only about the first part of the book. I will not read anything else by this author.

A Charming Crime: Book One (Magical Cures Mystery Series 1)
A Charming Crime: Book One (Magical Cures Mystery Series 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars To old for fairy tales., Aug. 17 2014
The beginning of this book was great. The rest of the book was a waste of my time. As there where good reviews, I felt I should read the book to the end to find out why my view was so different. I am an adult and I like the books I read to treat me as such. I also like a book that captures my attention and is difficult to put down, this was not the case. I am to old for fairy tales and that is what I felt I was reading. I give this book one star for Mr. Prince Charming, the best character in this book.

As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., July 27 2014
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I love a good mystery where the investigation is carried out by good old fashion police work and this book had this. A good pace was set for solving the mystery. What I did miss was many of the character felt flat. I found it easy to pick out the person responsible for the crimes, but it did not spoil the book. I would have liked a better insight into why the guilty party was motivated to do the crime. I also felt the ending was well written. I will read the next book in this series.

Dead Angler (Loon Lake Mystery)
Dead Angler (Loon Lake Mystery)
Price: CDN$ 5.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the fly fishing!, July 15 2014
I did enjoy this book and will read the next one. The characters where easy to understand and I could relate to the tension between the main character, Paul and the struggle he with his daughter. This part of the book was handled well. I love the challenge of solving a mystery, but with this book I realized to soon who the guilty person was. Therefore 4 stars. Even though I had worked out the main plot and the subplot I kept reading as I enjoyed the story.

3 a.m. (Henry Bins Book 1)
3 a.m. (Henry Bins Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars What an enjoyable read., July 3 2014
I enjoyed this story but wished it had more flesh on its bones which made it a 4 star instead of a 5. It engaged my emotions by making me worry not so much for the main character, but about his father and Lassie. I think you would get more from this read if you have lived with a cat, as the conversations with Lassie where excellent and would be more understandable. I will read other books from this author as I enjoyed his story telling.

Page: 1 | 2