ARRAY(0xba2f8c48)

Profile for SoulFanGranny > Reviews

Content by SoulFanGranny

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

SoulFanGranny (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Everybody's Brother
Everybody's Brother
by CeeLo Green
Price: CDN$ 19.44
28 used & new from CDN$ 4.42

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Viewing, March 9 2014
This review is from: Everybody's Brother (Hardcover)
I was almost embarrassed for CeeLo by this rather tacky and unprofessional show. It was overly sexualized, which got old within the first 15 minutes. CeeLo came across to me as more or less a pimp showing off his ladies. I don't mean to demean the dancers, because they were talented, but the barely-there costuming was offputting. The production elements were shoddy, overall. CeeLo's audience patter and joke fell flat, and I could observe as the camera scanned the audience that some found the joke offensive and not amusing. I like CeeLo, but this didn't show him at his best. I'd have felt cheated if I'd spent money going to Vegas for that show!

Ginkgo 200-07 Le Prix Flatware Set, Service for 4, 20-Piece (Black)
Ginkgo 200-07 Le Prix Flatware Set, Service for 4, 20-Piece (Black)
Price: CDN$ 56.59
2 used & new from CDN$ 56.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, But Not Perfect, March 9 2014
The set seems generally sturdy, the pieces being of good weight, well-balanced, and comfortable to hold. One fork came with the little metal pieces near the tine end not attached. I was able to repair it with a few hammer taps, as all the loose bits were in the plastic sleeve. My main issue is about them being advertised as dishwasher safe. After only one or two runs through the dishwasher, the little circles on the handles lost their shine and now look dull, almost white. They are obviously not stainless steel. This detracts somewhat from appearance but doesn't affect functionality. If not for that issue, I might have given the set five stars. It remains to be seen how well the pieces will stand up over time to many repeated washings in the dishwasher. All in all, this seems to be an adequate everyday set, and a decent buy for the price.

Heart and Soul
Heart and Soul
by Maeve Binchy
Price: CDN$ 10.82
93 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 16 2014
This review is from: Heart and Soul (Paperback)
Compared to some of Maeve Binchy's early works, this one leaves a lot to be desired. It's not a cohesive novel, doesn't flow well, but is a mishmash of 'short stories' loosely built around the heart clinic. The characters weren't adequately developed for me to care about them. Random characters were brought in from previous books, which was jarring and would be confusing for first-time Binchy readers. The story lines were overly saccharine, with all problems and conflicts too neatly resolved. I've been a fan of her books for a long time, read many, but with this one I was anxious to get to the end and have it over with. One of her weakest efforts.

My Antonia Thrift Study Edition
My Antonia Thrift Study Edition
by Willa Cather
Price: CDN$ 9.25
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile Read, Sept. 18 2013
I found this book to be very well written. It held my interest throughout. I enjoyed the details about life for the early settlers, and the story line was believable.

RCA RP3504 Cassette Shoebox Voice Recorder
RCA RP3504 Cassette Shoebox Voice Recorder
Offered by Audio Plaza Canada
Price: CDN$ 26.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, Sept. 18 2013
The item came promptly, in good condition, and seems to work fine. I like the compact size. I hope it will stand up to frequent use.

The Painted Girls
The Painted Girls
by Cathy Marie Buchanan
Price: CDN$ 16.60
15 used & new from CDN$ 4.69

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Historical Novel, July 16 2013
This review is from: The Painted Girls (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It gave a realistic portrayal of life for the lower classes in France, particularly in Paris, at that period of history. I didn't care for the focus on the different ballet moves and positions because I didn't understand them and found them distracting, but I suppose they were integral to the story. Each female character was sympathetic, but I'd have liked the characters of the mother and youngest daughter slightly more developed. I liked how all was resolved in the end. Overall, a well-written book and a good read.

The Asperkid's Secret Book of Social Rules: The Handbook of Not-So-Obvious Social Guidelines for Tweens and Teens with Asperger Syndrome
by Jennifer Cook O'Toole
Price: CDN$ 23.11
45 used & new from CDN$ 12.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Book, July 16 2013
Delivery was prompt, and the book arrived in excellent condition. I have a relative in his early teens with very high-functioning ASD, more typical of Asperger's, and will pass it on to his parents after I've read through it. I'm sure their family will all find it useful.

Those Who Save Us
Those Who Save Us
by Jenna Blum
Price: CDN$ 11.64
133 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-Provoking, June 8 2013
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
I just finsihed reading this book, and thought it excellent. It gave a different perspective on life in WWII Germany, showing that nothing is all black or all white when it comes to survival. Very well written, at times gut-wrenching and heartbreaking, at other times heroic and touching. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants something of real substance.

The Replacement Wife
The Replacement Wife
by Eileen Goudge
Price: CDN$ 14.39
18 used & new from CDN$ 7.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 1 2013
This review is from: The Replacement Wife (Paperback)
I found the entire premise of this story ludicrous. I couldn't relate to, or sympathize with, any of the main characters or the choices they made. I found the main character's priorities and actions (after receiving her diagnosis) misguided, manipulative, and ultimately destructive. Many characters came across as somewhat shallow. The author's too-frequent propensity to describe what people were wearing, in annoying and pointless detail, was distracting 'filler'; same goes for frequent descriptions of food. There were many deviations into meaningless 'side stories' that didn't add to the main thrust of the story. In short, I found this to be like a poorly conceived and written daytime soap. If women are into that kind of drama, they would probably enjoy this book. To each their own, but I will avoid this author in future.

The Headmaster's Wager
The Headmaster's Wager
by Vincent Lam
Price: CDN$ 20.65
28 used & new from CDN$ 3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absorbing Read, Nov. 17 2012
This review is from: The Headmaster's Wager (Hardcover)
This book was money well spent! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it held my rapt attention throughout. The characters are vividly portrayed, particularly that of the Headmaster. The story flows beautifully and has elements of mystery throughout, with unexpected surprises. It made the confusion and paranoia of the Vietnam War era and its aftermath in that country come alive for me. The writing is impeccable! I highly recommend this book to anyone who appreciates good literature.

Page: 1 | 2