Profile for SoulFanGranny > Reviews

Content by SoulFanGranny

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

SoulFanGranny (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Hundred Summers
A Hundred Summers
by Beatriz Williams
Price: CDN$ 17.96
27 used & new from CDN$ 1.80

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent romantic novel, Sept. 10 2014
This review is from: A Hundred Summers (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book, which was well written, but I didn't feel much empathy for the main characters. Some story elements seemed implausable, perhaps too coincidental, but overall didn't distract from a good yarn.

Orphan Train: A Novel
Orphan Train: A Novel
by Christina Baker Kline
Price: CDN$ 12.99
50 used & new from CDN$ 4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Sept. 10 2014
This review is from: Orphan Train: A Novel (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which was well written with well-developed characters one could relate to and care about. I learned a bit of history I hadn't been aware of, which was a nice plus. I'm not a huge fan of stories that skip back and forth in time, but in this case it was appropriate and not disorienting in any way.

Scalpicin Anti-Itch Liquid, Maximum Strength, Clear Liquid 1.5 fz (Pack of 6)
Scalpicin Anti-Itch Liquid, Maximum Strength, Clear Liquid 1.5 fz (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product, the only one that works for my ..., Sept. 10 2014
Delivery was even faster than expected. This is an excellent product, the only one that works for my dry itchy scalp.

Rise and Shine: A Novel
Rise and Shine: A Novel
by Anna Quindlen
Price: CDN$ 14.56
113 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A Major Disappointment, Aug. 12 2014
It's rare that I don't finish a book, but in this case I couldn't. Halfway through, I lost interest. I read Quindlen's 'Blessings' and thought it very good, so I expected this to be of a similar standard. No So! The narrator came across as someone with Attention Deficit Disorder who couldn't complete one though stream or event without branching off into something else. The ceaseless 'meandering' became very tedious, distracting, and interfered with the flow of the book. Sometimes I felt like yelling "Stick to the point, for God's sake!' I still don't know what the main thrust of this muddled story was, and none of the characters were particularly likeable or relatable. I won't read anything else by this author.

Everybody's Brother
Everybody's Brother
by CeeLo Green
Price: CDN$ 24.80
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.53

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Viewing, March 9 2014
This review is from: Everybody's Brother (Hardcover)
I was almost embarrassed for CeeLo by this rather tacky and unprofessional show. It was overly sexualized, which got old within the first 15 minutes. CeeLo came across to me as more or less a pimp showing off his ladies. I don't mean to demean the dancers, because they were talented, but the barely-there costuming was offputting. The production elements were shoddy, overall. CeeLo's audience patter and joke fell flat, and I could observe as the camera scanned the audience that some found the joke offensive and not amusing. I like CeeLo, but this didn't show him at his best. I'd have felt cheated if I'd spent money going to Vegas for that show!

Ginkgo 200-07 Le Prix Flatware Set, Service for 4, 20-Piece (Black)
Ginkgo 200-07 Le Prix Flatware Set, Service for 4, 20-Piece (Black)
Price: CDN$ 58.13
7 used & new from CDN$ 58.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, But Not Perfect, March 9 2014
The set seems generally sturdy, the pieces being of good weight, well-balanced, and comfortable to hold. One fork came with the little metal pieces near the tine end not attached. I was able to repair it with a few hammer taps, as all the loose bits were in the plastic sleeve. My main issue is about them being advertised as dishwasher safe. After only one or two runs through the dishwasher, the little circles on the handles lost their shine and now look dull, almost white. They are obviously not stainless steel. This detracts somewhat from appearance but doesn't affect functionality. If not for that issue, I might have given the set five stars. It remains to be seen how well the pieces will stand up over time to many repeated washings in the dishwasher. All in all, this seems to be an adequate everyday set, and a decent buy for the price.

Heart and Soul
Heart and Soul
by Maeve Binchy
Price: CDN$ 10.82
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 16 2014
This review is from: Heart and Soul (Paperback)
Compared to some of Maeve Binchy's early works, this one leaves a lot to be desired. It's not a cohesive novel, doesn't flow well, but is a mishmash of 'short stories' loosely built around the heart clinic. The characters weren't adequately developed for me to care about them. Random characters were brought in from previous books, which was jarring and would be confusing for first-time Binchy readers. The story lines were overly saccharine, with all problems and conflicts too neatly resolved. I've been a fan of her books for a long time, read many, but with this one I was anxious to get to the end and have it over with. One of her weakest efforts.

My Antonia Thrift Study Edition
My Antonia Thrift Study Edition
by Willa Cather
Price: CDN$ 9.25
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile Read, Sept. 18 2013
I found this book to be very well written. It held my interest throughout. I enjoyed the details about life for the early settlers, and the story line was believable.

RCA RP3504 Cassette Shoebox Voice Recorder
RCA RP3504 Cassette Shoebox Voice Recorder
6 used & new from CDN$ 83.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, Sept. 18 2013
The item came promptly, in good condition, and seems to work fine. I like the compact size. I hope it will stand up to frequent use.

The Painted Girls
The Painted Girls
by Cathy Marie Buchanan
Price: CDN$ 16.60
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Historical Novel, July 16 2013
This review is from: The Painted Girls (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It gave a realistic portrayal of life for the lower classes in France, particularly in Paris, at that period of history. I didn't care for the focus on the different ballet moves and positions because I didn't understand them and found them distracting, but I suppose they were integral to the story. Each female character was sympathetic, but I'd have liked the characters of the mother and youngest daughter slightly more developed. I liked how all was resolved in the end. Overall, a well-written book and a good read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3