Profile for not telling > Reviews

Content by not telling

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

not telling (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 25.26
109 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST movie of 2003!, Dec 23 2003
I saw this movie three times in the theater and bought it on DVD the day that it came out and have watched it about a million times since then!
This movie is nothing short of amazing!! I was really surprised at how true Disney kept the story to the Disney World ride - while still keeping it a great movie.
Jerry Bruckheimer is the producer of this action-packed-hilarious movie starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightly.
The story:
When the daughter of the Govenor, Elizabeth, is kidnapped by cursed pirates of the infamous Black Pearl ship, it is up to Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) the blacksmith, son of a pirate who is in love with Elizabeth, and Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) the quirky and eccentrically charming pirate with a grudge, to save her. What none of them know, however, is that the Black Pearl and the entire crew are cursed forever as the undead (they look like regular people during the day, but are revealed as skeletons by the moonlight - and they can not be killed) and the only thing that can break the curse is the blood of the son of the man who bestowed the curse upon them - the blood of Will Turner.
The effects in this movie are amazing! I was blown away! The action scenes and sword fighting is superb, never a dull moment. The acting is spectacular!! Especially by johnny Depp - Captain Jack Sparrow. His blend of Keith Richards and Pepe La Pue are absolutely hilarious and mesmorizing! You can not take your eyes off of him!!
This is a movie that is great for the whole family - adults and kids (although I don't recommend for very young children who might find some scenes scary, and some are slightly violent)
there are over 10 hours of special features on this DVD:
19 Deleted and Alternate scenes
Blooper Reel
Audio Commmentary with Gore Verbinski and Johhy Depp and with Jerry Bruckheimer and Keira Knightley and Jack Davenport
An Interactive history of pirates
DTS 5.1 Digital Surround Sound
THX-Certified with THX Optimizer
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Widescreen (2.35:1) - Enhanced for 16x9 Tv's
French language track and subtitles
Rated: PG-13
Approx. 143 minutes
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

The Muppet Christmas Carol
The Muppet Christmas Carol
DVD ~ Michael Caine
Price: CDN$ 66.91
4 used & new from CDN$ 34.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Christmas movie, A classic Muppet movie!, Nov. 25 2003
This review is from: The Muppet Christmas Carol (DVD)
What a great movie!
It's the Muppet Version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Ebenezer Scrooge is played, not by a muppet but by Michael Caine. Everyone knows not to mess with Ebenezer Scrooge - his penny-pinching ways and bah-humbug attitude could make even the bluest skies cloudy. But when he is alone on Christmas eve, he is visited by three spirits: The Ghost of Christmas Past, The Ghost of Christmas Present and The Spirit of Christmas's Yet To Come - and gets to see the impact that he has had on the world - and it's not a pretty sight! But, along the way he comes across the life of his poor and kind employee, Bob Cratchit (Kermit) and his family including Tiny Tim who teaches Scrooge the true meaning of Christmas and ends the with the immortal words "God Bless us, everyone."
This is a great movie to watch for kids and adults! Jim Henson's movies never disappoint! Full of hilarious jokes and good humor for families, and a wonderful performance by Micheal Caine, you and your entire movie will love this movie - and it will hopefully get you out of your Humbug mood and put the Christmas spirit in you too!

Method: Pilates - Target Specifics (Full Screen)
Method: Pilates - Target Specifics (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Jennifer Kries
Offered by BuyCDNow Canada
Price: CDN$ 18.90
11 used & new from CDN$ 18.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work out!, Nov. 25 2003
I was happy when I picked up this DVD to find that it is not as long as the Pilates All In One Work out (which was an hour and a half!) - this work out squeezes all the necessary exercises into one hour... anything that saves me time is a good thing!
Starts off: 15 Minutes of Abdominal exercises (they really work.. they helped me lose my baby belly after I had my daughter)They are pretty difficult, though. I found that it took me a long time to be able to do these exercises without taking breaks. But you know it's working 'cause you can already feel the burn 30 seconds into the workout!
Then 15 minutes of arms - this really helps you tone up your arms... but don't expect to really bulk up. This is just a basic beginners work out to keep the extra skin from flapping underneath your arms - you won't become a body builder from this! They are not very difficult at all.. even if you have no strength training experience at all, you should be able to do these... you may have to take short breaks here and there, but keep up with it and you'll get better.
Then 15 minutes of hips, which is great because it's always been my "problem area" and there aren't that many exercises out there that specifically target the hip area. This work out helps my jeans and skirts fit so much better and makes me feel much better about the way I look! They're a little difficult at first, but if you keep with them you will get better and be able to do them!
Then last is 15 minutes of thighs which are all standing and floor exercises target to your thigh area to help tone and strengthen to help you shed fat, flab, and inches. They are difficult... I've heard that your thigh area is the hardest area on the human body to tone and keep toned - I don't disagree. These exercises are very challenging, but start off at your own pace and you will gradually get better and better.
I try to do this work out 3-5 times a week, depending on my schedule... It has really helped keep me in good shape. it's especially great to own if you're like me - I'm a stay at home mom and I don't have the luxury of being able to leave my house multiple times a week so that I can work out, and I don't have very much free time on my hands.
So, I put this dvd in when the kids are napping and I get in a good work out and then shower... saves much more time (and money!)than heading out to a gym.
If you're serious about finding a routine that you want to stick to, then I recommend this video.
If you're looking to burn a lot of fat though (say over ten pounds) you're going to also have to get an aerobics dvd also, there are no aerobic exercises on here. Just muscle and strength training.

Method: Pilates - All in One Workout (Full Screen)
Method: Pilates - All in One Workout (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Jennifer Kries
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 29.46
18 used & new from CDN$ 1.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout, but not for beginners, Nov. 25 2003
AFter I gave birth to my daughter I had some extra weight to lose. I have been going to yoga classes on and off for two years but I had never tried pilates before, so I got this workout dvd and decided to give it a try.
Starts off with 15 minutes of warm-up conditioning (basic stretch movements).
Next is 30 minutes of aerobic cross training to burn fat and firm major muscle groups.
Centering Makeover - 35 minutes of abdominal and back exercises that I think really do work.
Lengthening - a 10 minute cool down to stretch all the muscles out again to keep you from cramping and from bulking up.
I thought the warm-up was very basic and as extensive as it should have been for the exercises that follow.
I hate aerobic exercise, but realize that it's part of losing weight... the 30 minutes of dancing around isn't exactly my favorite, but it's not bad. Every once in a while I have to walk in place to take a breather.
The Centering work out is difficult. Luckily I've had the yoga training, but even I wasn't able to do everything so I don't know how someone with no dance/pilates/yoga experience would be able to pull this off. NOT for beginners! You will be discouraged and annoyed -or even hurt yourself!- with this and never use it again if you are not in good shape.
I kept up with it, though, and gradually got better. I lost 13 pounds and three and a half inches by doing pilates and barely cutting down my calorie intake in about three months time (I did the pilates work out 4-5 times a week). So it definitely does work. It's just extremely difficult. Even after three months of doing it almost daily, I still have trouble with the moves.
The strength training part with 3-5 lb weights is pretty good if you're looking to tone but not bulk up. I don't like looking bulky, I just like not having that extra flap of skin hanging under my arms!! So this workout is pretty good for that.
I'm giving it four stars because it succeeded in helping me lose the weight that I wanted to lose. It's great for your abs and back strengthening. Picking my daughter up all the time really does a job on my back, so these exercises help with it a lot. I didn't give it five stars because of how difficult it is and it can get boring if you're planning on doing this video all the time.

The Lion King (2-Disc Special Platinum Edition) (Bilingual)
The Lion King (2-Disc Special Platinum Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Matthew Broderick
Offered by anime.comic.canada
Price: CDN$ 39.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 31.51

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Disney's best!, Nov. 23 2003
The Lion King, in my opinion, is one of Disney's best films. It's an animated, youthful, and modernized adaptation of Hamlet:
The King (of the jungle) is murdered by his jealous brother, Scar, who takes over as King by running the young heir of the throne (and his nephew), Sinba out of the Jungle by convincing him that HE was the one who killed his father.
A young Simba leaves behind his freinds, family, and home in shame and creates a new life for himself with two new friends, Pumba and Timon, who teach him how to survive on bugs and a carefree lifestyle: "Hakuna Matata!" But, years later, Simba is discovered and revealed as the living heir to the throne which was stolen from his father. Now he must go back to the past which haunts him and face the uncle that took his life away from him and reclaim his true destiny as the King of the Jungle.
This is a fantastic movie with wonderfully catchy songs (by Elton John and Tim Rice)and a great story line. It's funny, heartwarming -and in the tradition of all Disney movies - has a great ending!
I don't recommend this movie for kids under the age of 6, though. There are some scenes that younger kids find scary, not to mention that there are some graphic scenes (violence, and especially the scene in which Scar murders his brother Mufasa).
But over the age 6, I recommend for everyone!
If you are a Disney or DVD collector, you MUST own this DVD!

Shrek (Two-Disc Widescreen & Full Screen Edition) (Bilingual)
Shrek (Two-Disc Widescreen & Full Screen Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Mike Myers
Offered by niff78
Price: CDN$ 29.97
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars For kids AND adults!, Nov. 23 2003
Mike Meyers is the voice of Shrek: an ugly yet endearing ogre who is sent on daring quest with the help of his loudmouthed donkey friend (brilliantly named Donkey, voice by Eddie Murphy) to rescue the somewhat annoying and feisty princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) by the evil spirited Lord Farquaad (John Lithgow), who is too much of a chicken to do it himself. He promises Shrek the deed to his beloved swamp back in exchange for the Princess. But, this journey gives Shrek a lot more than he EVER bargained for: friends, introspection, and love!!!
I love this movie and I love that my kids love this movie! During the course of the movie it is revealed that there is a spell on Princess Fiona - during the day she is a beautiful princess - but as soon as the sun sets, she is turned into a very much less attractive ogre. She is mortified by this and tries to keep it a secret, but by the end of the movie she realizes that beauty is not only in the eye of the beholder, but it truly is what lies within. I love that the movie sends this message out to young girls -- with so many movies out there that tell girls that they have to be beautiful or change who they are to be accepted (i.e. Grease, The Princess Diaries, Ms. Congeniality, etc.)... I'm glad to see that there is a movie out there that lets girls know that it's okay to be who you are and to be proud!
I recommended this movie for everyone!
And the DVD-Rom has a really fun feature for kids that lets them dub their voices to the characters lines exactly! It keeps kids entertained for hours!

Dogma: Special Edition (Widescreen) (Bilingual) [Import]
Dogma: Special Edition (Widescreen) (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ Ben Affleck
Price: CDN$ 69.62
16 used & new from CDN$ 3.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Smith is so smart it's almost sickening!, Nov. 23 2003
I would give this movie 5 stars just based on the research alone that Kevin Smith had to have done for this film. All of his characters (names mostly relating to biblical days) and back story are nothing short of brilliant.
The story is about two fallen angels (Matt Damon, Ben Affleck) who have been cast out of heaven and forced to live in Wisconsin until the end of existance for giving God the finger. When the two find a loophole in the catholic religion, which would allow them to re-enter heaven, thus by proving that God isn't perfect, all hell breaks loose -literally! Demons come up from hell to make sure that the two angels suceed in their mission which will be the cause of the end of the world. The demons incapacitate God in the body of a comatosed human and are off to help existance cease to exist. In an attempt to stop them, The Voice of God tracks down Bethany - an abortion clinic worker- and convinces her that it's her job to stop the two angels thus by saving all of humanity. And Jay an Silent Bob (What would a Kevin Smith movie be without those two?) are sent with her as two very unlikely prophets, along with the thirteenth apostle (who was left out of the bible for being black!), played by Chris Rock. So now the clock is ticking. Bethany and her gang must get to New Jersey before the two angels have a chance to walk through the archway of forgiveness which would allow them to re-enter heaven.
This movie is full of classic Kevin Smith humor, a great plot, and an amazing cast: Chris Rock, Alan Rickman, Ben Affleck, Kevin Smith, Matt Damon, Salma Hayek, George Carlin, Alanis Morissette, and more).
It is an intelligent and hilarious fantasy film. You don't have to be religious to understand or like this movie! Highly Recommended!

Empire Records Remix!
Empire Records Remix!
DVD ~ Anthony LaPaglia
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 33.62
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is what teen movies are made of, Nov. 23 2003
This review is from: Empire Records Remix! (DVD)
The story goes as such: A group of well cast teenagers find out that their beloved record store (in which they are all employed) will be going out of business. Over the course of the worst day imaginable, they all try different ways to raise money to save "The Empire" from going under - and are pretty unsuccessful - until the end, that is!
This is a great teen movie! Full of great music (with a killer soundtrack), hilarious characters (my favorite is Lucas), really funny scenes and an actual believable plot. Every main character in the story has a story of their own, so it's not just a one dementional look at a bunch of kids dancing around a record story.
Corey (Liv Tyler) is a beautiful, hardworking, college-bound, daddy's girl, do-gooder, perfectionist ... who just so happens to be a speed freak. AJ (Johnny Whitworth)plays the nice boy who finishes last that is in love with her. Jeanna (Renee Zellwegger) is Corey's friend - actually she's EVERYONE'S friend according to her reputation - she's even friends with Rex Manning - the washed up child celebrity of the 70's -think a modern day Leaf Garrett- who's trying to hold on to his career by making an appearance at the record store. Deb plays the mysteriously suicidal grunge girl with a shaved head and bandages on her wrists. Mark is the weird but lovable guy in a band without a clue. Lucas is an eccentric and hilarious weirdo who takes 9,000 from the stores safe to Atlantic City and gambles it away in an attempt to change the fate of the store. "Warren" is a smart mouthed punk who Lucas catches shop lifting an eclectic variety of cd's and spends most of the movie sitting on the couch with Lucas until the cops pick him up. And finally there's Joe. Poor Joe. He's a 30something, stressed out, divorced drummer and manager of Empire Records who, thanks to the characters listed above, is having a nervous breakdown.
This is a great movie. Everyone I know loves it. Highly recommended!

Reality Bites (Widescreen)
Reality Bites (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Winona Ryder
Price: CDN$ 92.55
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars So much potential!, Nov. 23 2003
This review is from: Reality Bites (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie could have been really great. But, it just ended up being mediocre at best.
It's very stereotypical and predictable in it's portrayal of a bunch of twentysomethings living in an apartment together in the grunge era of the 90's.
Winona Ryder plays Lelaina Pierce, a freshly graduated college valedictorian who finds it impossible to find a job - or to choose between the two guys in her life (Ethan Hawke, Ben Stiller).
It's really just a grunged out version of boy (ethan hawke) loves girl (winona ryder) but is too afraid to tell her, so girl goes off with another boy (ben stiller) and boy confesses his love to her, afraid that he will lose her forever - and now she must choose.
It's not a horrible film. But it's nothing great either. If nothing else, it's a good keepsake of the grunge movement of the early nineties.

Dora the Explorer:Meet Diego [Import]
Dora the Explorer:Meet Diego [Import]
DVD ~ Fatima Ptacek
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 8.68
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Diego is a great addition!, Nov. 20 2003
My ten month old daughter loves this movie and she's always watching it with her 3 year old cousin who is a boy. He likes the show too, but he was really excited when they added Diego since I guess it gave him someone to relate to better. A reviewer on here had mentioned that she didn't like the fact that they added a boy because there are not many shows out there that show strong girls just for girls. I don't see what the big deal is though. They are little kids who are just watching a show to have a good time. I'm all for my little girl being empowered by watching Dora - but I'm not going to leave it up to the cartoon to do it for her... So what if they add a little boy to the show. I'm the one that's going to be teaching her how to be a strong, independent woman. Not Dora.
My daughter and nephew love this movie! They love watching Dora and Diego and Boots go on their adventure to save the baby Jaguar that is calling for help. I'm glad they added a boy to the mix! I think that it teaches kids that there doesn't have to be a difference between boys and girls! I recommend it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7