Profile for Kari > Reviews

Content by Kari

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kari (Tacoma, WA)

Shopgirl: A Novella
Shopgirl: A Novella
by Steve Martin
Price: CDN$ 11.70
123 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the same old tired plot twist..., March 11 2002
This review is from: Shopgirl: A Novella (Paperback)
I enjoyed this short story, its character development and unpredictable plot twist. Martin's creations exist within the people who surround me, so they are believable. As to plot, one might expect typical romantic defeats and recoveries... but Martin has a refreshing surprise in store...

Discworld: Wyrd Sisters - DVD
Discworld: Wyrd Sisters - DVD
DVD ~ Christopher Lee
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 93.56
6 used & new from CDN$ 17.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, Jan. 4 2002
In all honesty, I didn't watch this movie through completely. I couldn't. It was just too painful.
I've read Pratchett's Discworld novels for years and was thrilled to see that they had adapted one of his stories to animation. The transition from words to action was poorly executed, however. None of the subtleties of his humor come across in the cartoon.
Nor was I prepared for the choice of animation. This type of cartooning is far inferior to that which can be seen on television's Saturday morning lineup.
Save your money and buy the books.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment for this Discworld Fan, Jan. 2 2002
I knew this wasn't meant to be an equal Discworld novel when I first opened it, but nevertheless I was disappointed. This lacks the character and fancy of Pratchett's other books. I kept expecting the plot to take an interesting twist, as Discworld novels often do, but was failed.
Also, I was disturbed by a passage in which a rat-catcher strikes the young heroine - a blow so well described that I feel the fist in my own face... particularly distressing to read in juvenile literature.

What to Expect When You're Expecting Pregnancy Organizer
What to Expect When You're Expecting Pregnancy Organizer
by Arlene Eisenberg
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I never left home without this organizer!, July 25 2001
Truly, this was something of a Bible for me in my pregnancy - I kept all of my information here. I particularly used the OB visit section where I could write my questions on one side and then record the next OB visit on the facing page. I only wish there were more of those OB visit page - it ran about 3 visits short for me. I had little use for the incredibly detailed diet journal, but I managed to convert those grids for use in tracking which medications I had taken daily.
This was not only helpful in keeping me organized, but it gave me comfort that if I should become bedridden, my husband would be able to pick it up and know everything - phone numbers for pharmacies, types of over-the-counter medications that were OK, lists of things I wanted to take the hospital, etc.

A Year in Provence
A Year in Provence
by Peter Mayle
Price: CDN$ 12.24
180 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful trip to the continent, May 28 2001
This review is from: A Year in Provence (Paperback)
I'll admit I've never been to France, let alone Europe, but this book fosters the dreams I have of visiting and experiencing the culture of Provence. The author masterfully pulls you in as a witness to the wonders of living in this quaint region, particularly as life is driven by the palate. Written month-by-month, you'll find the year passes quickly. I look forward to reading another of his accounts.

The Enchanted Forest--Melodies of Japan
The Enchanted Forest--Melodies of Japan
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 13.23
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely All-Occasion Music, Nov. 25 2000
I discovered this at the library and, after about a dozen or so check-outs and renewals, finally bought my own copy. I listen to it while reading, when I have dinner guests, and as background music at the office. All ages will enjoy Galway's lyrical Japanese arrangements.