Profile for Walter Blocher > Reviews

Content by Walter Blocher

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Walter Blocher (Crompond, NY USA)

Dracula - The Legacy Collection (Dracula / Dracula (1931 Spanish Version) / Dracula's Daughter / Son of Dracula / House of Dracula)
DVD ~ Onslow Stevens
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 89.50
12 used & new from CDN$ 22.99

3.0 out of 5 stars packaging, May 8 2004
The transfers are as good as I would hope for. However, all the discs were loose in their container and rattling about. The first disc had a crack at the center hole. It doesn't seem to hurt the viewing, but since it was opened I have no recourse. All of the collections purchased, Frankenstein, Wolfman,and The Sherlock Holmes sets arrived the same way. It is really appalling at this slipshod manner of selling merchandise. Individuel DVDs are tight in their packaging, but the collections are, pardon the expression, the pits. One wonders what I will find as I go through these movies over the months. I hope I find no more surprises. These classics deserve better treatment. Again I do like the transfer on the Dracula disc and the rest will probably be the same. At least I hope so. Who knows how many scratches and bumps have been added to the pristine originals by the packaging? Only the the Shadow...

Sherlock Holmes Coll
Sherlock Holmes Coll
DVD ~ Basil Rathbone
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 64.54
25 used & new from CDN$ 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars sync is off, May 8 2004
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes Coll (DVD)
Voice of Terror is the only one I have seen so far. It was almost a joy to see this fine war-time piece. However, when the voice and lip movements are out of sync one must ask how this was allowed to happen. Not only is it a distraction in full shots, but the close ups are truly disconcerting. At fifteen dollars a disc, I certainly want more professional results. Also when my package arrived there was rattling in the box. It turned out that all of the discs were loose in their container. I ordered vols two and three at the same time and the discs in their boxes were also free to move about, making the possibility of scratches and bumps to happen. The packaging of these classics is appalling. If the sync problem exists in all the discs then the "experts" that put these together fall far short of their responsibilities. The fact that it should happen even once to these classic movies is bad enough. Enough! Amazon Books has always been top notch, but I fear the DVD department is far below what one expects. The clarity and sound is very good. Now if they could just get it together.

Byzantium: The Apogee
Byzantium: The Apogee
25 used & new from CDN$ 13.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Byzantine, April 10 2000
This review is from: Byzantium: The Apogee (Hardcover)
Norwich writes with passion and intelligence of a subject that has been near his heart. He lays out the stories and the facts with a style that is never boring or obtuse. After I read each volume I would take time out and read Ostrogorsky's History of Byzantine. Adding the latter's more politically oriented work to the mix made Norwich's work even more complete. If nothing else I had the chance to re-read Ostrogorsky. One does not need anything else to enjoy and learn from Norwich. With the excitement that Norwich created, I then took up Babinger's Mehmed the Conqueror. A wonderful way to continue. What makes these three authors work is their style and subtle sense of humour. Norwich brought me back to an intriging era of world history that we need to learn from in our present time. What makes it even better is that he levels the playing field. I am happy that I opted for the complete set and not the condensed version. This way I get the author's whole intent along with his wit and style. Well worth the time and money involved. This is a work that I will return again and again. A good friend!

The Age of Innocence
The Age of Innocence
by David Hamilton
13 used & new from CDN$ 103.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Innocence abounds, Feb. 10 1998
This review is from: The Age of Innocence (Hardcover)
For me, what sets Hamilton apart from other members of hisgenre, is his humor. "The age of Innocence", is a nearperfect example of his gift. Wingate Paine, in the sixties, published a book with older subjects that was sexy and fun. Hamilton does the same, only having younger subjects with only youthful experience. Overall, his taste and artistry match his imagination. There is less darkroom work and more life in the subjects. Buy the book and enjoy the moments of youth that stay in our dreams. Life is happy. The inner innocence and happiness captured here, is for us to smile and remember

Place in the Sun
Place in the Sun
by David Hamilton
12 used & new from CDN$ 77.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Exotic sights of imagination., Feb. 1 1998
This review is from: Place in the Sun (Hardcover)
At first glance the youthful pictures take away from the flow of the essay. Then it comes together. This is a testament to Hamilton's artistry. He is rightfully called an arist that paints with the eye, lens, and darkroom. What truly sets him apart from other photographers, such as Sturges, is that he captures personality. One shows nudity as dull, while the other, brings charm and grace that quickens the pulse, not dulls the senses. Erotic is not in this book, but a dream-like reality that brings back better times. Not to dwell on, but to enjoy at ones older time.