Profile for David C. Halkett > Reviews

Content by David C. Halkett

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

David C. Halkett (New Westminster, British Columbia Canada)

Child 44
Child 44
by Tom Rob Smith
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and chilling, May 18 2009
This review is from: Child 44 (Hardcover)
I picked Child 44 up one day and knew nothing about the book but the cover caught my interest and the blurb on the back cover intrigued me.

Set just before Stalin's death, it covers the downfall of KGB officer Leo Demidov who is unjustly demoted for not wanting to denounce the wife who doesn't love him. There is an element of Les Miserables in it as Leo's nemesis Vassili will stop at nothing to ruin Leo's life. The downfall is set against the backdrop of a series of grizzly murders in a country where crime officially does not exist and those who say it does are either sent to the Gulags to die a slow death or simply executed.

Leo has an epiphany as he hits rock bottom after his demotion and decides come hell or high water he will solve the murders and kill the killer. The twist is both gripping and chilling. As I got to the last 200 pages of the book, I simply could not put it down.

I highly recommend it.

Rasputins Revenge
Rasputins Revenge
by John T. Lescroart
6 used & new from CDN$ 7.28

4.0 out of 5 stars A super find, May 20 2006
This review is from: Rasputins Revenge (Paperback)
I was walking through a local Wal-Mart one night and came across a paperback called Rasputin's Revenge. Being a history major, the title caught my eye so I picked it up. I'm certainly glad I did.
In a fast paced prose, Lescroart delves into the intrigue and mysteries surrounding a series of deaths in St. Petersburg during WWI. 1916 was a tough year for Russia as it was suffering food shortages at home and military losses at the front.
Rasputin, the mystical monk who captivated the Czarina and whom Her Highness believed could save her hemophiliac heir, sets a trap for Auguste Lupa in order to seek revenge for the death of his father.

While only a piece of historical fiction, I did come away with a slightly better understanding of Russia in 1916 and of the reasons why the Czar was toppled in March 1917.
It is not an easy book to find, but if you find it, be sure to buy it, you won't regret it.