Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Kindle Furniture Music Deals Store Cycling Tools
Profile for B. Cormier > Reviews

Content by B. Cormier

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

B. Cormier "forcryinoutloud" (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sherlock Holmes: The Dark Reckoning
Sherlock Holmes: The Dark Reckoning
Price: CDN$ 4.17

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, Aug. 8 2015
I could not bring myself to finish this story. Dreadful is being kind. A story that begins with Watson farting just as Mrs Hudson walks in the room, with him bumbling all over the place, knocking stuff over, reads like a story written by someone only familiar with the very worst portrayals of Watson in movies rather than the Watson written by Conan Doyle. If you like Watson portrayed as a buffoon, then this is the story for you. Others have suggested that others parts of this story were well done, but I can't force myself through the utter dreck of the rest to find out if they're right.

Sherlock Holmes and the Sandringham House Mystery
Sherlock Holmes and the Sandringham House Mystery
Price: CDN$ 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars One story too many, Aug. 8 2015
This was two separate stories in one, and they would have both been better served, I believe, had they been kept separate. The stories themselves are typical pastiches, and done well enough but each could have been fleshed out a bit more to have made them more memorable than just another "typical pastiche".

I also knocked a star off simply for the comment that the Americans won the war.

Petmate Jackson Galaxy Twisted Kicker-Plush Large
Petmate Jackson Galaxy Twisted Kicker-Plush Large
Price: CDN$ 6.71
3 used & new from CDN$ 4.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a kick!, Aug. 5 2015
Purported to be just the toy for a cat that loves to kick, this toy was a complete disappointment. My cats never go near it. It's fat and bulky with little to no catnip (at least, not the good stuff) so they are not drawn to it at all. A complete waste of money.

S.H.I.E.L.D: Agent Coulson
S.H.I.E.L.D: Agent Coulson
Offered by GBAGlobal
Price: CDN$ 11.89
21 used & new from CDN$ 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars His name is Agent!, Aug. 5 2015
This review is from: S.H.I.E.L.D: Agent Coulson (Toy)
The Funko Phil Coulson is absolutely awesome, but I am knocking a star off because the box was crumpled in one section on the back, which means it's not in mint condition and that is a disappointment.

The Ghost of Dr. Watson: A Sherlock Holmes Case
The Ghost of Dr. Watson: A Sherlock Holmes Case
Price: CDN$ 3.68

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!, Aug. 4 2015
I could not even get past the first two paragraphs:

Sherlock Holmes spaced the sitting room associated with his Baker Street flat just like a caged panther. Six advances from the fireplace to the window. Eight from of the question to the settee. With the fifth times in as numerous minutes, he pulled his watch from his waistcoat pocket to look into the time, snapping it shut when it stubbornly declined to tell him he was mistaken.

He SPACED the living room? Right "from of the question". "With the fifth times". MY LORD. Granted, with a self-published story you're taking a risk, but this is absolutely dreadful.

The second paragraph:

Damn this! He threw himself onto this settee, the fingers regarding his right hand drumming nervously on his knee. Damn it, Watson; where are you actually?

It is quite clear from these two paragraphs alone that the author 1) did not bother to have someone edit their story and 2) that they did not even bother to proofread it themselves. There is, quite literally, no excuse for this kind of hideous grammar in the day and age of spellcheck & grammar check. I downloaded this copy through kindle unlimited, so thankfully did not spend anything on this, but that said, free of charge is still asking too much for this dreadful story. I've no idea what the reviewer with the glowing comments read, but it could not have been this story!

Sherlock Holmes & The Mystery of the Last Line (New Sherlock Holmes Adventures Book 2)
Price: CDN$ 1.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels unfinished, Aug. 3 2015
While I quite enjoyed this short story, I had to knock a star off for the rather abrupt and unsatisfying ending. The story has several mysteries that are hinted at, but none are quite resolved to satisfaction, I'm afraid. Still, the writing was well done and the story interesting - but either M Pepper Langlinais needs to work on their endings, or they have a sequel to this planned - which it would have been nice to know about ahead of time as I do hate reading stories that end with much still left to be told. If you do not mind an abrupt ending with threads of a story not completely tied together to a satisfying conclusion, this is the story for you. Even if you do mind, I can't say that I don't recommend it - as I said, the writing is well done and the story interesting, it just feels unfinished.

Final Fantasy X-2 - PlayStation 2
Final Fantasy X-2 - PlayStation 2
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 24.66
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, July 5 2015
There are aspects of this game that I really like, and others that I really hate. I have to admit, the last final fantasy game I played was the very first one, many moons ago, and of course this is almost nothing like that (other than the turn based gameplay). That said, when I started the game, I almost shut it off when I basically had to watch a what amounted to a video game music video and saw that Yuna's dressphere was songstress and she's standing there dancing and singing (thankfully you don't hear it) in the middle of a battle - WTF!? But I kept playing, switching her to warrior and now enjoy the game more. The storyline is interesting (I really need to get FFX - this one was just cheaper at the time). There's a LOT of gameplay, lots of stuff to do, which is great. Wish it was a bit more linear though, as it's really easy to end up in a place you're not nearly strong enough to fight in (one aspect that is really frustrating is that in one of the easier worlds, there's an enemy to fight that kills all three characters in three moves, every time - and if you want to do that section of the game (the shop keeper that owes money), you have no choice but to play that area. I've yet to get by it, so have been checking out the other parts of the game, leveling up). The graphics are amazing as well, which is nice as most PS2 games I've played have crappy graphics (yeah, yeah, I get that it's an older console but still). Am hoping that FFX gets here this week so I can finish that one first before going back to FFX2 as it's a sequel and you miss out on a lot of the nods to the previous game if you haven't played it.

Marvel - Loki
Marvel - Loki
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 21.50
12 used & new from CDN$ 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish it wasn't so pink!, July 5 2015
This review is from: Marvel - Loki (Toy)
It's a Funko Pop, it's Loki, what's not to love? Well, only one thing really - this version of Loki with the helmet is just as PINK as the version without. Loki is PALE in the movies, but Funko makes him so pink it's really disappointing. I have him sitting beside my Winter Soldier version of Steve Rogers and the Captain America version is actually pale, and not pink, so I know they're capable of it - I just don't see why they don't make Loki pale. At any rate, even though I hate that the color of his skin looks so off, it's still Loki and I love it.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - PlayStation 2
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - PlayStation 2
19 used & new from CDN$ 5.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, July 5 2015
I haven't played the game much because, to be honest, the dialogue is SO ridiculous (not to mention the numerous aspects of the story that were changed to fit the game - Frodo's birthday instead of Bilbo's, Frodo selling Bag End to the Sackville-Baggins'), and the camera angle is just completely and utterly frustrating. You pretty much have to run in a circle to get Frodo not only pointed in the right direction but the camera angle LOOKING in the right direction. You can move the camera angle itself, but it's annoying to have to keep doing that rather than having the game register where the character is looking and have the camera automatically showing you that angle. There's a lot of running around to do without a lot of actual stuff to do - and a lot of it is more talking than DOING anything. It's fine for what it is, I suppose, and would be good if you have nothing else to do, to kill some time but I wouldn't suggest buying it if it's more than $6-$7.

Honey-Can-Do 8-Shelf Non-Woven Hanging Closet Organizer, White
Honey-Can-Do 8-Shelf Non-Woven Hanging Closet Organizer, White
Price: CDN$ 17.13
4 used & new from CDN$ 17.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Great organizer!, June 17 2015
This is a great little organizer. It suits my needs perfectly. I took a star off because the plastic in the top part snapped in two - though to be fair, I have more on the shelf than it is probably meant to have. That said, even with the split, it is still holding approximately 10 pair of thin pants (like yoga pants), 14 cotton t-shirts, 8 dress shirts, all my socks, all my underwear (I bought the honey-can-do drawers that fit in this), with two shelves left over that are currently holding 14 playstation games, two funko papercrafts, a lootcrate box with items in it, and the velcro is still holding strong, even with the split plastic piece.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5