biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vd2016beauty All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Furniture Tools ca_ty_gno Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist
Profile for B. Cormier > Reviews

Content by B. Cormier

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

B. Cormier "forcryinoutloud" (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Proscan 10-Inch Tablet, Quad Core, Android 4.4 Kit-Kat
Proscan 10-Inch Tablet, Quad Core, Android 4.4 Kit-Kat
Price: CDN$ 109.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 109.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased so far with what I see - though I ..., Jan. 4 2016
This tablet arrived today. I am pleased so far with what I see - though I wish that it did not have quite so many unnecessary apps installed that you cannot uninstall. It came with a cover and a keyboard, which was great, however I was disappointed to see that the case and keyboard are white, while the tablet itself is black - it would have been nice to get a cover and keyboard that was the same color as the tablet. There is an annoying "recommended for you" app that is right there on the main screen when you turn the tablet on, but like other apps, if you just hold your finger on it, the option to delete it from the homepage pops up and you can get rid of it. So far, it seems to work well - but time will tell whether this tablet was worth the price.

AccuMed AP109 Portable TENS Unit Electronic Pulse Massager with Lifetime Support and USA Warranty - Dual Channel Pain Relief with 8-in-1 Functionality for Treating Shoulders, Joints, Back/Waist, Hands, Legs, Feet, and More - Includes Massage/Beat/Kne
Offered by Foscam CA
Price: CDN$ 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Jan. 4 2016
I have chronic pain and had been considering getting a TENS machine for a while now. I decided on this one because the price was right. I am thrilled with it! It works very well, has several different pre programmed options for shoulder, waist, joint, leg/hand, and feet. You can also choose to use the massage, beat, or knead function. The pre programmed ones cycle through the massage, beat and/or knead options for 15 minutes at a time. You have the option of speeding up or slowing down the pulses. There are some areas where I cannot go past 3 or 4 strength wise, but I use 8-10 strength on my back. It helps immensely! The pain relief is, of course, only temporary, but living with chronic pain 24/7 I can tell you, temporary is AMAZING.

My only disappointment is with the pads. If you use the TENS machine on 10 for more than 15 minutes (I use it for 45 minutes on my back, moving the pads to three different sections of my back that give me the most pain), the gel on the pads start sliding off the pads. I had to peel the gel off and reposition it. I am unsure as to whether you could simply peel the gel off and use the bottled gel that some other TENS machines require - since it is not the pads themselves that are not "working" but the sticky gel attached to them. It is convenient to have the pads already sticky rather than having to use the bottled gel, which is why I will be buying extra pads this week, but it would be a shame to throw away these pads when they still work as far as the pulsing goes. I suspect that I am most likely using it more than it is intended to be used - but that is part and parcel of chronic pain.

That said, I am SO glad that I purchased this TENS machine and highly recommend it to anyone that has chronic pain and is looking for some temporary relief.

NeuTab N7 Pro 7'' Quad Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet - Black
NeuTab N7 Pro 7'' Quad Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet - Black
Offered by NeuTab
Price: CDN$ 79.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 69.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Defect, Jan. 4 2016
Got this tablet in a lightning deal during the black Friday sale weekend on amazon for a Christmas present. The tablet worked well as far as I looked into it, however there was a defect with the tablet's screen (a permanent horizontal line that showed through everything, interfering with how the browser/picture/movie looked) and I had to send it back.

Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn Buttery Flavour-24 Pack
Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn Buttery Flavour-24 Pack
Price: CDN$ 8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit, Jan. 4 2016
Typical microwave popcorn - nothing special - however it was a hit as a Christmas gift for my father who loves popcorn, and my sister who does as well and you could get free shipping if you added other items up to $25 - as is usual for amazon, but was even more appreciated with this particular order as the popcorn was really heavy and would have cost almost $30 shipping for the two boxes I got if I hadn't tossed in a book as another Christmas gift and got the whole thing with free shipping. The popcorn tastes great, and is what you would expect from Orville Redenbacher.

Contigo Superior SnapSeal 20-Ounce Monaco Insulating Mug
Contigo Superior SnapSeal 20-Ounce Monaco Insulating Mug
Price: CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Jan. 4 2016
I love this mug! The one I have does not have the handle, but is the same otherwise. It is fabulous! I drink my coffee rather slow, and can sometimes forget about it all together when on the computer, but with this mug it doesn't matter as hours after I make my coffee, this mug keeps it nice and hot. The best part about it is that the coffee does not get that nasty film that it will get in a regular mug after sitting for a while - which ruins the whole coffee. I will put boiling water into the mug first and swish it around to heat up the metal before putting my actual coffee in - I think this helps keep the coffee hotter longer.

There is only one small nitpick - though it wasn't enough to take off a star. The stopper bit of the lid will sometimes get a filmy coating on it - it's not a big deal, and is fairly easy to remove. I'm not sure if it is the film that would otherwise appear in your coffee if it were in a regular mug, or if it has something to do with the material the stopper is made out of. However, as I said, it is easy to remove and does not interfere with the taste of the coffee.

Sherlock Holmes and The Secret Mission
Sherlock Holmes and The Secret Mission
Price: CDN$ 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Review of Kindle Version, Dec 7 2015
This review is based on the kindle edition. While the plot itself is not terrible - though rather predictable - there are several sections MISSING. Whenever Watson or Holmes receives a letter, a telegram, or read an article, the book will state something along the lines of "this is how it read:" and then completely fail to produce said letter, telegram or article. The book has Holmes and Watson responding to whatever is in the letter, but you're left very much thinking WTF are you talking about!? In one instance, the very first, Watson receives a telegram from Holmes presumably giving a reason why he cannot come to London to visit Watson, and that Watson should instead visit him in Sussex. We do not see the telegram, we see the same "it read:" and then Watson commenting about the same old Holmes. In another instance, Watson receives a letter from a woman looking for help - what help she needs exactly we don't find out until we actually meet her, because the letter is missing. Her husband has been kidnapped and she is looking for help in finding him, but we know nothing about that. All we know is that Holmes and Watson begin talking about the letter, and simply say there is nothing WATSON can do for the woman, and thus leave one thinking it is a medical issue that she is contacting him about. Now I am assuming that this is an oversight, a mistake on the part of the author and editor of this version of the book, and not GOD FORBID actually the style in which this author is choosing to write, because if that is the case, then the two stars I gave this book should be removed. Had I actually paid money for this, instead of getting it through kindle unlimited, I would have been LIVID to find sections missing from the book, as is, I am merely disappointed that yet another author has seemingly not bothered to REREAD their own work before uploading it to amazon.

A Sherlock Holmes Trilogy Boxed Set:: Jack The Ripper Versus Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes And the Child In Concrete, and Sherlock Holmes And the Man In Concrete.
Price: CDN$ 4.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid, Oct. 1 2015
The author clearly has an inflated sense of ego, looking at the glowing review they gave of their own work. Unfortunately, it's complete bollocks. These are not good mysterious and are in fact not even mediocre mysteries.

First, there is the formatting. Garish colors, random bolding of sentences for NO discernible reason, a complete lack of attempt, it seems, to even remotely try and emulate the speech patterns let alone the grammar of Victorian England.

Second, the author chose, in the first "story" to give an excessive, and graphic account of the deaths of the women murdered by Jack the Ripper - not only that, the author included the police photos of these women - this was before Holmes and Watson were ever even mentioned - and then went on to include the autopsy reports of each of the murdered women. It was bloated self-important excess to show that the author had researched the murders. The first story, according to the kindle app, was 32% of this book; 14% was the actual story.

Third, the first "story" was short, and rather ridiculous as the author goes on to say, at the end of this short story that there is quite frankly almost no chance whatsoever that the person they named as Jack the Ripper could have been him. Not only that, but the writing itself is amateurish, and based, it seems, solely on the TV versions of Holmes and Watson. Watson - or rather the author - seems to have a complete hate-on for Lestrade who, despite bucking heads with Holmes on occasion respected both Holmes AND Watson in the original ACD stories, never did Lestrade ignore Watson as if he were nothing more than a piece of furniture in the room.

I did not finish these stories, because the first one, and as much as I could get through of the second were simply so badly written that I refused to waste another moment on them. Thankfully, I didn't actually pay for this kindle book, but downloaded it through Kindle Unlimited.

Sherlock Holmes: Year One: The Untold Origin Begins Here!
Sherlock Holmes: Year One: The Untold Origin Begins Here!
Price: CDN$ 3.30

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, Sept. 29 2015
There were several aspects to this story that I enjoyed. The plot of it is a new introduction to Sherlock Holmes and John Watson - having completely changed how they actually met and came to work together which actually was a refreshing take on the story. That said, there were also far too many aspects of the book that did not work for me.

1) It is very disjointed. Rather than sounding like something "Watson" (ie ACD) wrote, it sounds more like a peek at Watson's notebook before he's actually had the chance to turn his notes into a real story. That said, I can almost forgive that as this is supposedly the first introduction to Holmes for Watson, and he has yet to become Holmes' biographer.

2) There seems to be a rather huge gap in age suggested here, between Holmes and Watson. The author has Watson refer to Holmes several times as "the boy" - indeed in the first pages of the book, I assumed it was a child sitting on the back of the police wagon dripping wet rather than Holmes. There was never any suggestion in ACD's work that Holmes and Watson were anything but quite close in age. The fact that Watson met Holmes on the university campus doesn't mean anything - Holmes could have easily gotten permission to use the labs, not actually been a student at the time. And we certainly never see him attending classes or the like.

3) And yet again, another author that feels that Irene Adler is somehow a much more important character in the Holmes verse than she truly deserves to be seen as. In this we have Watson not only suggesting that Holmes is somewhat of a ladies man, but also has Holmes ENGAGED to Irene Adler. Bloody Hell! This was a completely unnecessary addition to the story, and in fact detracted from it quite severely. Holmes, we KNOW from ACD's stories, had NO interest in women. He was far more interested in his work. He would always be more interested in his work. And as I mentioned in another review - the fact that he refers to Adler as 'the woman' in ACD's story does not in any way, shape or form suggest (except to those that ignore EVERYTHING else about Holmes) anything other than that she managed to best Holmes and given his rather misogynistic view of women much of the time, it simply sticks in Holmes' craw as it were. There is no romance between them - she bloody well gets married in the only story she is ever in, and it is NOT to Holmes. He does not spend the remainder of his life, according to ACD's stories pining away for this woman. I truly wish authors would respect that she only had Holmes' notice for the fact that she beat him at the game, nothing more.

Sherlock Holmes and the Man Who Lost Himself
Sherlock Holmes and the Man Who Lost Himself
Price: CDN$ 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous, Sept. 25 2015
Could not even get through this. The idiotic and POINTLESS rambling interlude of some ridiculous relationship between Holmes and Irene Adler that comes to light while Holmes is under the influence of a drug ruined the entire thing and I happily deleted it from my kindle.

ACD states CLEARLY in his original stories that Holmes did NOT love Irene, it is simply bloody wishful thinking on the parts of those that read far more into a blink and you miss it character than is actually there. It is far, FAR more likely that the only reason that ACD has Holmes refer to her as THE woman is that she is the only woman that out smarted Holmes, and his usual rather misogynistic attitude toward women had him not even dignify her with her actual name but simply "the woman". Truly, that's love. *snort*

If you enjoy that kind of wishful thinking in regards to Holmes and Adler, this is the story for you. If you're looking for something that pays respect to the original stories, keep looking.

Sherlock Holmes and the Sea Dragon Murders: A Novelette
Sherlock Holmes and the Sea Dragon Murders: A Novelette
Price: CDN$ 1.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, Sept. 5 2015
So many little things about this that ruined the story. Watson would never steal anything from a crime scene, let alone two things. There were two seemingly random bits to this story that did absolutely NOTHING to further the plot, but were rather more likely included to stretch the length of the story: a rambling pointless section about mediums, and a pointless and RIDICULOUS insertion of an illegitimate criminal son that Holmes refuses to acknowledge (I mean honestly, what the hell?!). And finally, the very suggestion that Holmes would have someone murdered by this illegitimate son ("If I wanted the man dead, he'd be dead already.") proves how very little the author actually knows about the character of ACD's Sherlock Holmes. Instead of adding random bits of nonsense to stretch the length of this short story, the author should have taken the time to flesh out the plot they were actually writing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6