Profile for William Marut > Reviews

Content by William Marut

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

William Marut "Do not disturb my circles" (GLASTONBURY, CT United States)

The Object Primer: Agile Model-Driven Development with UML 2.0
The Object Primer: Agile Model-Driven Development with UML 2.0
by Scott W. Ambler
Price: CDN$ 74.54
23 used & new from CDN$ 43.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, enjoyable teaching style, June 13 2004
The author has an excellent pedagogical style. As a result, this book is easy to read. Another plus is that the book covers a lot of ground, including the development spectrum (requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing, etc.), GUI modeling, data modeling, and database modeling, so most readers will be broadened by reading it. Another plus is that the author regularly shares what he has learned from personal experience. I found two minor annoyances. First, CONSTANTLY being reminded to produce models that are "just barely good enough" was like Chinese water torture. Secondly, the book practices what it preaches: instead of depicting models drawn using automated tools, in many cases the book depicts models drawn on a whiteboard by human hand, because that's "good enough." The problem is that in many cases I didn't find it good enough because the penmanship was such that I had a hard time reading the handwriting. Bottom line: if you want an up-to-date, introductory book that covers a lot of ground, this book has a lot of meat in it, it won't put you to sleep, and you'll almost certainly learn something.

Clerks: Uncensored [2 Discs] (Full Screen)
Clerks: Uncensored [2 Discs] (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Brian O'Halloran
Offered by Deal Beat
Price: CDN$ 44.99
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.84

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero stars, actually, Sept. 28 2003
I'm a cheapskate. If I pay for something, I'm gonna use it. Except this once. This is the first time in my life I have ever returned a rental movie after watching only the first few minutes. In one word, insipid.

Equus (Widescreen) [Import]
Equus (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Richard Burton
Offered by polski_film
Price: CDN$ 31.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 24.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Aug. 2 2003
This review is from: Equus (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
Two hours for: Boy tries to make love to girl but can't because he's a horseosexual. Boy blinds horses because they were in the barn when it happened, but out of eyeshot, if you'll pardon the expression. Richard Burton cures boy by getting him to spill story.
I kept watching the clock. Tick. Tick. Tick.
Richard Burton shines when playing cynical characters with acerbic wit. This was the wrong role for him -- he didn't shine.

Napoleon [Import]
Napoleon [Import]
2 used & new from CDN$ 114.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I didn't give it five stars, Sept. 13 2002
This review is from: Napoleon [Import] (VHS Tape)
I've read the other reviews. I agree with them, and I won't bother to repeat what they say. This is a great film. However, I chose to award the film four stars instead of five because of Gance's tendency to fixate and belabor. For example, the snowball fight scene at the beginning made its point long before Gance allowed the scene to end. Even people who don't have short attention spans might justifiably wonder when the movie is going to move on. Gance stops and smells the roses so much that in four hours he gets only up to Napoleon's first major campaign. Other directors could have gotten us up to Moscow and back in four hours (although perhaps they could be criticized for not stopping to smell the roses enough). If you are looking for a film whose plot sweeps you along, this is not it. (Don't get me wrong -- the music, scenery, costumes, camera action, etc. do sweep you along -- but not the plot.) If you are looking for a film that picks and finely crafts one scenario after another, this is it.