Profile for Suhail Zubaid AHMAD > Reviews

Content by Suhail Zubaid ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 327

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Suhail Zubaid AHMAD "Suhail Zubaid-Ahmad" (Mississauga, ON, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Carnivore Way: Coexisting with and Conserving North America's Predators by Eisenberg, Cristina (2014) Hardcover
by Cristina Eisenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars A road map for carnivore conservation, Aug. 24 2014
As I have always admitted, in my teens, I used to accompany hunters to their hunts. However, I turned passionate about nature conservation by the time I was into my 20s and haven't looked back ever since then. I am especially fascinated by top predators like wolves and Cape Hunting Dogs.

I found this book very interesting as it talks about top predators and how top predators in our North American eco-system ensure balance. In this respect, I found this book to be complementary to William Stolzenburg's 'Where the wild things were'.

The author questions the sagacity of limiting top predators to our national parks. Although she admits that our national parks are huge in size, she looks at the roaming patterns of North American top predators and describes how they move along a corridor along the Rocky Mountains, from North to south, which she defines as 'The Carnivore Way', defying all tangible and intangible restrictive boundaries.

Using her anecdotes in an appealing way, conversations with other wildlife behavioral biologists and general public, and research work, the author then takes on our 6 top predators in their respective eco-systems - grizzly bear, wolf, wolverine, lynx, cougar, and jaguar - and describes their habitat, origin of their names, natural history, ecological effects / improvements caused by them, conservation history, their inter-relationship with humans and other animals, and conservation promises and challenges.

This book is both for people who love predators for their beauty and those who hate them (some hunters of ungulates and some ranchers) as varmints. If you want to know how the absence of top predators in an ecology is leading to proliferation of grazers and browsers who are leading to lands plagued with disease and denuded of any foliage then this book is for you. If you are a hunter, you want to read this book too, especially if you are interested in continuation of healthy grazers and browsers for you and your future generation.

Yukon Quest: The Story of the World's Toughest Sled Dog Race
Yukon Quest: The Story of the World's Toughest Sled Dog Race
by Lew Freedman
Price: CDN$ 16.33
20 used & new from CDN$ 6.26

5.0 out of 5 stars You will fall in love with dog sledding, June 4 2014
This book narrates in a very interesting and captivating manner the entire history of Yukon Quest, the greatest dog sledding race of the world, its major participants and the winners.

I liked the way author developed characters and then narrated their inside stories of participation in the race. The book contains some black and white pictures, although I would have loved more of them.

The book is easy to read. It is organised in chapters, primarily year wise, but many chapters deviate from this particular arrangement.

If you love sled dogs, dog sledding, or new sports like skijoring and hikejoring then this book is for you. Heck, this book is for you, even if you are into adventure travelling and would like to try something new in the winters of the north.

Trust Your Dog
Trust Your Dog
by Joan Plummer Russell
Price: CDN$ 27.38
9 used & new from CDN$ 27.38

4.0 out of 5 stars This books shows a working partnership between humans and our best friends, May 19 2014
This review is from: Trust Your Dog (Hardcover)
I liked the book immensely. The only reason I am giving it a 4 stars is that the stories are narrated by the human handlers with very little or no input at all from the main author. I admit there is an advantage in having this approach. This means that you are hearing from the actual people involved in the event. However, I would have liked the author to turn the stories into a more uniform way of narration, perhaps building more character development and emotions.

There are beautiful stories of tracking the lost persons, catching the wanted people, discovering narcotics and bombs, and especially rescue work relating to 9/11. I liked most of the stories. Some are based on tragic events, while others narrate funny anecdotes.

The book itself is divided into sections with each section having chapters narrating events of a human handler and his/her dog(s). The fonts size makes its easier to read the book.

Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black)
Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black)
Price: CDN$ 829.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 789.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust factor - quality of product, pricing and delivery, Jan. 2 2014
I was looking for upgrading to a new enthusiast level camera to match my lifestyle. I tend to hike and trek with my dog in all seasons. I love doing photography and was looking for a dslr camera that was weather resistant and user friendly. Unlike other camera manufacturers like Canon and Nikon, Pentax offers weather resistant cameras in intro level K-50 and enthusiast level K-5 II, K-5 IIs, and the recently introduced K-3. After doing much research and seeking advice from many camera users I decided on buying K-5 IIs.

The only matter was finding a good price. I kept on looking for good holiday season offers and when amazon offered one for the lowest price, I jumped on it because of the trust factor of both pricing and delivery.

Needless to mention, the camera was delivered on time allowing me to start using it during December 2013.

Note on Camera itself:
If you need a camera for tricky light situations and rugged weatherproof option for hiking or other rigorous outdoor activities, the Pentax K-5 IIs together with one of the company's weather resistant lenses is a natural choice. This combination is not submersible in water, but it's splash and rainproof. Also, the weather resistant camera and the lenses are capable of operating under -10 C. I worked with it recently at -15 C.

Innate UMBM550 Fjord Folding Trekking Umbrella, Fog Blue
Innate UMBM550 Fjord Folding Trekking Umbrella, Fog Blue
Price: CDN$ 30.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Promises to be a good lightweight asset as a hiking gear., Jan. 2 2014
The umbrella is exceptionally lightweight and looks pretty. I had thought that because it is called Fjord Folding Trekking Umbrella, it would appear very strong and sturdy, but it doesn't. It appears to be frail like every other common umbrella.

Lightness and folded size are definitely a huge advantage. I don't even notice the extra load that I am carrying in my Lowepro Sport camaera bag.

The biggest disadvantage is that its canopy cannot be folded back to half its size easily. In order to fold the cover back, one has to flip each spine backwards. Initially, when my children and I attempted to do it, it seemed that the spines would break. If there was a special technique to do so, the little instructions provided on the plastic cover that umbrella came in were insufficient. In fact, there were no instructions as to how to fold the spines backwards. Over a period of time, I have learn't the technique of halving the size of the umbrella and am comfortable with it.

I have tested the umbrella in moderately rough early spring weather and it has passed the test. The worst weather is coming up. It will surely get tested soon.

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
by Malala Yousafzai
Price: CDN$ 15.95
56 used & new from CDN$ 10.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a person who came from the same region as Malala did, Nov. 20 2013
I grew up in the same region, in a much more advanced and developed district of KPK province just 60 kms south of Swat district and was able to relate to cultural and religious nuances and many of the events described in the book graphically. Furthermore, I liked the style of writing as it seemed to be clear, straight-forward, eye witness account that is a s honest as could come from a young person of a particular background (her father supports the nationalist, anti-military Awami National Party). When it comes to narrating fact beyond grasp of her age, she attributes them to her father, which she does a very often. However, she shares her feelings a number of times to bring an emotional touch.

Nobody can, in their right minds, deny the facts contained in the book and as narrated by a young lady, although the views expressed from Awami National Party's point of view hurt many a people.

Pakistan, and especially its military and intelligence service, has earned heaps of criticism recently in the West and in India in its role of aiding the Taliban, exporting terrorism, and radicalization of its own masses. This book is an excellent attempt to bring respect back to innocent Pakistani citizens by clarifying that they have suffered heavily at the hands of benevolent military dictatorships, corrupt dictatorial politicians, terrorists, western and Indian media, and even huge relentless natural disasters. Malala, therefore, has tried her best to bring Pakistan back on the map of respectful countries that need world's help.

However, I have some concerns in that Malala and her beautiful mission of educating Pakistani girls will be hard to accept by the people she most wants to help.
1. Due to her criticism of her own culture and showering accolades on western icons, she seems to have already been rejected by a majority of Pushtoons.
2. It is co-authored by Christina Lamb, who is well reputed to have a dislike for Pakistan. This is a proven fact, Hence, most of the material will not be assimilated happily by Pakistanis.
3. The way this book is written and the topics it touches and the way it touches it seem to prove to many critics that Malala has been used as a tool for marketing the product, i.e. it is a book written by Ziauddin Yusafzai in the guise of his daughter Malala Yusafzai, and via assistance of Christina Lamb.
4. Malala has been very ungrateful to the military and many people who helped the family in times of their greatest need. Her views expressed on the Pakistan military are typical of Awami National Party that was resoundingly beaten in the 2013 elections by emerging Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf.

As far as I am concerned, I am totally bought in by the book and have resolved to generously donate to Malala Fund. However, I do have one honest submission to make. I am utterly astonished at the fact that a girl hailing from such a backward district of KPK, had better English at age 14 to 16 than anybody in the same age group had in my generation, although we got educated at the best schools from much more advanced districts of the same province. It goes to prove that Malala is truly a blessed child from Pakistan who ensured that she overcomes the adversities of the worst nature to accomplish her dream.

The Hidden Life of Wolves
The Hidden Life of Wolves
by Jim Dutcher
Price: CDN$ 18.77
46 used & new from CDN$ 14.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A great argument for protecting wolves against antiwolf lobbies, June 19 2013
This is only one of the few books I have read more than twice. It is both a coffee table book and a serious read on a critical issue, i.e. protecting wolves in today's world when in countries like the USA and Norway federal governments are surrendering to the demands of anti-wolf lobbies.

I liked the book because (1) the authors have included gorgeously beautiful pictures of the wolves under their observation taken from a close range in an almost natural environment, (2) the authors have provided a research oriented and a scientific rebuttal to anti-wolf lobby's arguments on hunting the wolves down, (3) the authors have provided ways to protect livestock against wolves predation, although they did not mention the universally acclaimed effectiveness of livestock guardian dogs, and (4) The authors have described how protection of wolves as apex or top predators ensures healthy ecology.

As a lover of wolves and having written an article on `How to protect wolves and livestock alike', which has been called a balanced article, all of the above makes sense to me.

There is a minor, almost negligible, weakness as well in that the authors have built their observation of wolves in the light of now discarded dominant and submissive wolf theory. Some of the observations reported in this book emanate from the environment in which the wolf pack was kept. It is possible that the alpha, middle status and omega wolves in the pack emerged due to resource limitation issues. However, even here, a majority of observations reported are true to a totally wild pack now believed to be consisting of a breeding pair and their off springs of various age groups.

The book is easy to read, because of the pictures, illustrations, and the font size. The only negative here, albeit a minor one again, is its landscape format, which is difficult to open up in crowded places like commuter trains and buses.

All in all, it was a great read and I am sure I will be reading it over and over again.

I highly recommend it for reading and watching some awesome pictures.

Malamute Man: Memoirs of an Arctic Traveler
Malamute Man: Memoirs of an Arctic Traveler
by Joe G. Henderson
Price: CDN$ 16.33
6 used & new from CDN$ 16.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrill of travelling in the Arctic with te help of Alaskan Malamutes, April 8 2013
I may be a little biased in my review of this book, because I love dogs, hiking, dog sledding, and reading about extreme adventures. This book contains all of these ingredients.

First of all, hats off to the adventurer/writer for putting to work a dog breed, i.e., Alaskan Malamute (and actually 22 dogs representing the breed) for what it was designed - carrying huge loads across the arctic region, rather than keeping them as a pets only.

Second of all, I salute him for restricting himself to minimum of technology. The team of dog and one man are on their own deep in that frozen hostile region.

The book is written in a very interesting and involving manner, giving details of his various dogs, their characteristics and events associated with some of them. He also presents, in a very lively manner, various thrilling incidents (and accidents) he faced during his many forays. Stories about his experience with wildlife are both thrilling and engaging.

The book is easy to read and contains many pictures to give the readers an idea of what his dogs, sleds, and hostile environment looked like.

Following Marco Polo's Silk Road
Following Marco Polo's Silk Road
by Brian Lawrenson
7 used & new from CDN$ 33.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Travelogue that can be used as a guide even today, Feb. 15 2013
I had ordered this book through Amazon.ca and read it in May-June 2011. I decided to read it again and found that I have no memory of reading it, except for some errors that I had underlined and for a nice chapter of The Love Lukla Club. And I have a pretty good reason of why I don't have a memory from this book.

I am giving this book 4 stars, because of the information contained in it. I am 100% positive that the information is still good today. Therefore, it makes the book a good reference source for travelling in the regions it covers. They not only went to more easily accessible touristic resources, but also tried their hands on many off the beaten path kind of events and attractions. I also liked the husband and wife team for their positive attitude. Their ability to relate to the regions, the peoples, and the heritage is exemplary. They were appreciative of, friendly with, and helpful to whoever they met on their journey. They were never condescending to the local residents. They faced the adventure ordeals like true adventure travellers. Therefore, they can be a role model for the rest of us. This compared very favourably with the attitude of those 3 travelling girls of book `The Lost Girls'.

The book is more of a travelogue with author covering destinations after destinations in a very detailed manner. However, the book has two distinct flavours to it. The parts where he employed a travel writer's tool of 5 senses (seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching) and the `dialogue', especially with his wife, in a vivid manner, make it a very interesting read. The parts where he does not employ these tools, read very dull. It seems that in the latter parts the writer was going through writing trying to cover every destination and attraction he and his wife went to without putting emotions into it.

I was disappointed to see that although the book is titled `Following Marco Polo's Silk Road', it really never connects that great traveler of the past with the husband and wife team of the present. The writer and his wife went on a journey that only minimally crisscrossed with the route that Marco Polo took. Even in this scenario, the writer could have made the book interesting by adding excerpts from or giving references to already published accounts of Marco Polo and some history of the destinations they traveled to. They didn't do it, except briefly in few chapters.

The book is divided into chapters by destinations they journeyed to. The font size is good. The language is easy to follow. There are some factual errors like naming the cities and cuisine incorrectly. For example, time and time again, he calls the sheep of the region as flat-tailed sheep, whereas the correct name is fat-tailed sheep. Also, it would have been great if the writer had added a few pictures from his repertoire. Unfortunately, he told us that they lost a bag full of their camera equipment and pictures towards the end of their journey and that actually caused a terrible depression immediately afterwards that prevented them from travelling for many years. I can relate to that, as that calamity has struck me twice on my micro-adventures.

Overall, this is a very good book to read as a reference book to some of the regions where travelling can only be called adventurous.

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know
Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know
by Alexandra Horowitz
Price: CDN$ 13.71
236 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Knowing your dog much better, Feb. 1 2013
First I was inclined to compare this book with Stanley Coran's `How to Speak Dog' with the former being the theory behind the practical aspect put in the latter. I found both the books useful, but the theory part in `Inside of a Dog' impressed me a lot.

Admittedly, it is a controversial book with reviewers having all sorts of comments from most positive to extreme negative. I read the book based on the premise that one should try to learn the most from reading and should absorb what one likes and discard the rest.

Let me say it straightaway. This is not a dog training book, although one can use concepts from it to train dogs better. This is mostly `how the dog thinks' book and `a memoir about a beloved dog' book. In my opinion, the `memoir' part was the best though.

As regards, `how the dog thinks' part, I can safely say that I know my dog at a personal level now. My knowledge about senses of dogs has increased many folds. For example, I didn't know that olfactory sense and taste senses in dogs take priority over other senses. The author explained `Vomeronasal' organ to explain why dogs like to taste everything.

Among other things, the author also explained why dogs find no interest in watching TV, why some guard dogs bark at everything and everyone, can they predict changes in weather, whether or not they have qualities to rescue their owners in survival situations, do they observe us, whether or not they are less intelligent than wolves, if they can hunt like wolves, so on and so forth. All of the things she said made sense to me.

There are weaknesses in the book too. For one, it rambles on and is hard to finish in one or two attempts. However, reading one chapter a day, this book turned out to be very informative. It has brought some drastic changes in my dealings with my dog. Overall, because of this book, I know my dog much better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7