countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Suhail Zubaid > Reviews

Content by Suhail Zubaid

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Suhail Zubaid "Suhail Zubaid-Ahmad" (Mississauga, ON, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Wildlife Heroes: 40 Leading Conservationists and the Animals They Are Committed to Saving
by Julie Scardina
Price: CDN$ 25.50
32 used & new from CDN$ 4.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tributes, March 24 2016
The book covers 40 wildlife heroes with each trying to save a particular species, a group of animals or working on a specific area concerning wildlife conservation. The book is very informative for adults and children alike. I liked the way it is organized with special colourful inserts containing information at a glimpse. Wildlife shots are of exceptionally high quality.

In the end, it also lists down the ways to get involved with wildlife conservation. I liked how it lays down a course of action for people with different levels of commitment who want to get involved in different capacities.

Written in big fonts and with lots of pictures, the book is a joy to read.

Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide
Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who love experiences with wild animals, March 12 2016
Written chapter wise with each devoted to a new adventure, this book was a joy to read. It is educational, as well as entertaining. The author covers a wide range of animals that he had experience with – lions, cheetahs, hippos, crocodiles, elephants, African buffalo, cape hunting dogs, honey badger, African birds, etc. In addition, he also narrates his adventures in African wilds that did not involve wildlife, but were equally entertaining. Some of his adventures with unusual tourists and colleagues are super-hilarious. For me, the best story was actually not from his working as a safari ranger, but from the political world of colonial and post colonial Botswana.It is a love story and I loved it.

The author includes in the book some great pictures that he took.

Call Of The Lost Ages: A Study Of The Indus Valley Script
Call Of The Lost Ages: A Study Of The Indus Valley Script
by Subhajit Ganguly
Price: CDN$ 14.17
9 used & new from CDN$ 7.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Did Indus Valley Civilization disppear just like that?, Feb. 18 2016
I bought the book without reading the subtitle, but once it arrived and I quickly flipped through it, I decided to keep it and read through it, nevertheless.

The author puts what is a prevalent theory put by researchers of IVC, primarily from India. He argues against the commonly believed theory of foreign invasion of Asian Subcontinent that destroyed IVC. Instead, he argues that the IVC slowly and gradually evolved into the early Vedic civilization. I am a firm believer in this theory.

The author gives a convincing evidence through comparing later era IVC script versus Brahimi script and it is obvious that several early Brahimi symbols resembled IVC symbols or seemed to have evolved from them. This is enough to convince me that IVC gradually evolved into next civilization.

The author also cites convincing evidence from ancient Vedic history and from geological changes around the same period to support his theory.

However, I disagree with some of his other arguments in favour of the theory.

Overall, the book is well researched, well written, and is a good read.

The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures
The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures
by Lawrence Anthony
Price: CDN$ 20.30
18 used & new from CDN$ 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A super awesome account of saving mega-fauna of African wilderness, Dec 2 2015
I think all wildlife conservation people should be following in the footsteps of Lawrence Anthony, Indiana Jones of Conservation or the Last Rhino himself.

This is primarily an account of how Lawrence Anthony sets out to save the last northern white rhinos in Karamba National Park deep in northern Uganda, which is in the midst of all violence created by a civil war. Actually, this is a much bigger account of Rhino Wars going across the globe and how few people have taken up the challenge of protecting this great natural heritage of us humans. In the process, the author was educating the readers on the politics and wars of Africa, respect accorded by average Africans to their wildlife, and the degree to which the greed of poachers has gone to satisfy the needs of few people who believe rhino horns are panacea for some diseases.

This is a super-awesome read, promising to keep you on your toes with increasing adrenaline on each and every page, and has some great pictures.

Pack Of 2 D-LI90 Batteries And Battery Charger for Pentax SLR 645D K-01 K-3 K-5 K-5 II K-5 IIs K-7 Digital Camera + More!!
Offered by Big Mikes Electronics CA
Price: CDN$ 29.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A battery package that won't disappoint you. Just buy it., Nov. 18 2015
Excellent product. I had bought the same package for my Pentax K-r and Pentax K-S2 and those haven't disappointed me. I hope the same will apply to this package for my Pentax K- 5 IIs.

These packages are substantially more economical than the original Pentax battery, although there is no difference in performance..

Do yourself a favour. Just buy it.

Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
by Alastair Humphreys
Price: CDN$ 26.69
35 used & new from CDN$ 16.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Short of time and money, just go for a microadventure., Oct. 9 2015
This is a great book to read.

I have been following the adventure traveler and author of several books – Alastair Humphreys, Al for short, since 2009. He has written two voluminous books earlier on his bicycle tour of the world. My reviews of his books titled ‘Thunder and Sunshine’ and ‘There will be other Rivers’ are also available on amazon.ca

Al has done tremendous job of shifting his focus on micro adventures, considering that most people today don’t have time and/or financial resources to go on long duration adventure travelling. This is a book that he has written for those of us with exactly those constraints – availability of time and of funding. Through his own interesting microadventures of many different kinds in many different environments (forests, hills, rivers, lakes, oceans, highways, neighborhoods, etc.), colorful pictures, and tips in the book, Al has put forth a convincing case for us in that the time and finances are no excuses for not undertaking adventures. If it is not adventure travelling, let it be micro adventures, which to me, he defines as any short duration adventure with at least one overnight sleeping outside of man-built environment (I repeat, this is what my interpretation is of his definition of micro adventuring).

The book is written from UK’s perspective, but with adequate measures, it can be applied anywhere in the world where conditions are safe for adventuring.

He has also given a hashtag community to link and exchange views with other micro adventurers.

This is an excellent, easy to read, and follow book that should inculcate the desire of adventuring in anyone who reads it.

On the Trail of Genghis Khan: An Epic Journey Through the Land of the Nomads
On the Trail of Genghis Khan: An Epic Journey Through the Land of the Nomads
by Tim Cope
Price: CDN$ 27.16
26 used & new from CDN$ 6.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure travel, history, geography and my passion for animals, all in one, Aug. 30 2015
Although this is a story of the adventure traveller Tim Cope as he travelled from eastern Mongolia to Hungary using horses, camels and a dog, it is actually about much more than just that. I have read this book 3 years after it was published, but I am glad that I discovered the writer. This book covers the time period from mid 2000s, but the conditions described therein will be relevant even 20 years down the road.

The author keeps his travel story intense, but the best part is that he keeps educating the readers on Genghis Khan and his invasions of Central Asian and European steppes 800 years ago, along the way. In addition, he departs from the main story a number of times for developing characters involved in it and in the process explains in detail the history, geography, economy, ecology, ethnicities and culture, and of course the relationship between men and their past as nomads. In fact, the authors goes into further details and educates the readers on different political eras of former USSR, Russia, China, behaviour of various beasts of burden that he employed, etc. and he does all of this so very beautifully, never losing track of the original purpose of his travel. It is amazing to note how well researched this book is. Since I am knowledgeable about Genghis Khan's invasion of the Sultanate of Khwarizm, I was able to confirm what he states in this book is correct.

I am amazed that the author survived the journey. The odds of elements (during the course of this journey, he endured temperatures ranging from -40 to +40 C in Kazakhstan), rogues, terrorists, murderers, wild animals, wild traffic, etc. were all stacked against him.

The book has many tragic events described graphically, but in the end it leaves hope in that the awareness is growing all over the world on nomadic cultures.

When I received my book from Amazon.ca, its thickness and page appearances discouraged me for I am a slow reader. How am I ever going to finish this voluminous book I said to myself. But lo and behold, I completed in a week time. This shows how interesting and intense this book is.

A Pitying of Doves: A Birder Murder Mystery
A Pitying of Doves: A Birder Murder Mystery
Price: CDN$ 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling beginning, but an anti-climatic ending, July 23 2015
The author has made this book very interesting and educating by having a police detective solve murder cases and educating the readers on matters relating to general science, environment, wetlands, and birds as well.

Btw, I had no't read fiction ever since I stopped reading Enid Blyton''s Famous Five series till my teens. My mentor and friend Hillary McLeod mentioned the first book by Burrows - A siege of bitterns to me and got my book from amazon.ca personally signed by the author. I had enjoyed my re-entry into fiction reading with that book.

Back to the book, the way author makes use of some fine tools of writing, such as dialogue, using five senses, scene description, and character development is impressive. It makes you live the scene yourself.

The murder mystery was going interesting till I reached the point in the book where I encountered missing chapters, repeat chapters and the story began after a long gap again. From that point onward, I guess I didn't miss much. I was able to easily pick the loose ends, because the story was developing very slowly.

Overall, a good murder mystery book to read, very well written, with lots of thrilling events.

I am giving it 3 stars, because I don't think that a character like Jejune can last very long in real world's police detective role.

The Invaders: How Humans and Their Dogs Drove Neanderthals to Extinction
The Invaders: How Humans and Their Dogs Drove Neanderthals to Extinction
by Pat Shipman
Price: CDN$ 31.92
38 used & new from CDN$ 24.55

4.0 out of 5 stars A most fun to read book on paleoanthropology, Neanderthals, Home Sapiens, and Mega-fauna., June 17 2015
I liked reading the book simply because the author made the subject of paleoanthropology fun to read and comprehend. Otherwise the authors / researchers argument that homo sapiens expedited the demise of homo-neanderthalis' extinction simply through harnessing dogs for hunting is based on a weak foundation.

If you want to get some basic knowledge on Neanderthals, early humans, mega-fauna, how they all lived and interacted, and how humans may have come to dominate inter-guild competition then this book is for you.

There are some great illustrations provided in the book as well.

Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag  - Black
Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black
Offered by N-lion
Price: CDN$ 99.81
68 used & new from CDN$ 94.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Large space to carry two cameras with lenses on plus more, May 21 2015
I ordered the bag in May 2015 and received it in time to use it during Ottawa's Tulip Festival (on my two days there on May 16 and 17, 2015). I reset the compartments to house a Pentax K-5IIs with 18-135 mm zoom, Pentax K-S2 with a 100 mm macro and other paraphernalia including extra batteries, lens cleaning kit, memory cards, etc. There was still room available in it for carrying an extra mid distance telephoto and a flash gun.

I found the bag easy to carry and the opening flap offered easy access to the equipment I wanted to use or put back.

The bag complements my repertoire of other Lowepro bags - Lowepro Photo Sports Pro 30L AW and Photo Sport Shoulder 12L

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9