Profile for Toan Nguyen > Reviews

Content by Toan Nguyen

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Toan Nguyen

Endogenous Growth Theory
Endogenous Growth Theory
by Philippe Aghion
Price: CDN$ 88.00
17 used & new from CDN$ 68.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Good theory, Poor presentation, Jan. 10 2002
To read this book effectively, you really need to have the articles that the authors cited in the book, especially their own articles.
The ideas from the book are excellent. However, the presentation of the is extremely bad. I am not saying for just myself. Many of my professors and my peers also agree.
The authors skipped a lot on the derivation of the equations without mentioning where they came from, or without even defining some terminologies. Sometime, you will get really frustrated.
I prefer to learn not just the ideas but also the technical foundations. Barro and Xala-i Martin's book on Growth is excellent in this. It is impossible to learn that in this book. Sorry, the book is a failure!!!
I talked to my friends in other schools in Cambridge. They were surprised because Aghion is supposed to be a very careful professor. I don't know. But I have attended a conference and seen how Howitt presented. It is a big, really big, conference, and the guy just wrote down those equations and calculations by hand. They are even not neat.
The exercises are interesting and helpful if you want to master the tricks. However, again, you need to read the articles that they used since many steps will be skipped carelessly.

Recursive Methods in Economic Dynamics
Recursive Methods in Economic Dynamics
by Nancy L. Stokey
Price: CDN$ 91.15
22 used & new from CDN$ 61.00

2.0 out of 5 stars You better read something else, March 19 2000
This is among the worst books I've seen in economics. I suggest you read something else in maths such as dynamic programming, stochastic dynamic programming, measure theory to get the neccessary tools instead of reading this book. By studying these serious books in maths, you get the foundations. The arguments do not flow. To much exercises are left for the readers. The explanations are bad and too terse. The references are really bad and creat a lot of diffculties for you to keep track. This book teachs you many thing you can find in Sargent's three books: Dynamic macroeconomics, recursive macroeocnomics and macro theory. But I found those books are much,much more entertaining and systematic. Forget about this book. I first studied this just to get pass with my course requirement however, after that I switched to more serious mathematic books and read Sargent's in complement. That helps.