Profile for Betty L. Dravis > Reviews

Content by Betty L. Dravis

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Betty L. Dravis "BETTY DRAVIS, author/reviewer" (Silicon Valley, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Nurse in the Delivery Room Slapped Me...Once
The Nurse in the Delivery Room Slapped Me...Once
by D. Anthony
Price: CDN$ 16.71
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.43

5.0 out of 5 stars To get more out of life, read this book! Unique perspective!, Nov. 22 2007
As this author says, "There has to be more to life than the here and now" ... "more to the hustle-bustle of daily life." And he goes on to tell us how to unlock our own amazing potential.

When I received an ARC of this inspiring book, the title alone grabbed my attention. What's that all about? I wondered, and when Mr. Anthony went on to explain that that was the first blow life dealt him, I began to understand.

I had heard some of these truths in other forms, of course, but none so succinct and clear. This book taught me how to make simple changes in my reactions to the blows life hands me, and how to adjust my attitude so that I could learn from them and "make a difference" ... not only in my own life but in the lives of my friends and family and all those with whom I come in contact.

I confess it won't be an overnight miracle, but if I stop to think about what I'm doing and plan where I'm going and what I want to be (not what others want me to be) I will change little by little until I eventually grow into the successful person I was meant to be.

This book is clear, concise and easy to read, with many examples of successful people to guide us along our way. I especially enjoyed the inspiring story of Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame. He was knocked down more than the average person, but he persisted in diligently pursuing his dream, and the rest is history. We all know how successful he was.

The author also describes how an insignificant little book he read as a child affected him; he cites an intriguing psychological case study ... Well, I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that each chapter gave me more insight into how I (and other readers) can unlock our own potential and fulfill our dreams.

Thanks, Mr. Anthony, for renewed inspiration and for sharing your wisdom with the world. I highly recommend this book.

Periwinkle and the Cave of Courage (The Fairy Chronicles, Book 6)
Periwinkle and the Cave of Courage (The Fairy Chronicles, Book 6)
by J.H. Sweet
Price: CDN$ 8.50
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome series! Realistic fairies come alive before your eyes!, Nov. 22 2007
J. H. Sweet ...
What a treat ...
Writing 'bout fairies,
she can't be beat.

Book one was pure delight;
Book two is "out of sight."

Book three is a kid's dream,
Book four will make them beam.

But wait till you see what's in store;
of fairy books, she has plenty more.

Each of this author's books stands alone as far as story-line, and I discovered something new about fairies and fairy lore in each one. She's a fine writer, so good at her craft that the fairies came alive for me. Interesting story-lines, colorful characters in an exciting, entertaining format.

Highly recommended.

Spiderwort and the Princess of Haiku (The Fairy Chronicles, Book 5)
Spiderwort and the Princess of Haiku (The Fairy Chronicles, Book 5)
by J.H Sweet
Price: CDN$ 7.99
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

J. H. Sweet ...
What a treat ...
Writing 'bout fairies,
she can't be beat.

Book one was pure delight;
Book two is "out of sight."

Book three is a kid's dream,
Book four will make them beam.

But wait till you see what's in store;
of fairy books, she has plenty more.

Highly recommended.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
DVD ~ Ted Levine
Offered by SURPLUSDVD NEW YORK
Price: CDN$ 7.98
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like "Blood and guts," this is for you! A good remake!, Nov. 22 2007
This review is from: The Hills Have Eyes (2006) (DVD)
I don't claim to be an expert about producers, directors, movies, and which remake is better than what remake. I just know I like horror--the new, more realistic kind AND the old cult classic kind--with all the accompanying gore common to this genre.

This movie has enough gore to satisfy even the most hard-core horror addict, but if you're at all queasy, this movie is not for you. But I loved it. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time; it was THAT exciting. The mutant, deformed killers, a product of government bomb-testing in the New Mexico desert, were masterpieces of make-up artistry ... what real monsters are supposed to look like. Terrifying.

The poor family who gets stranded in the desert are terrorized by these monsters, but they muster their survival skills and stand up to their attackers in true "movie hero" fashion.

Do they all survive? Of course not; this is horror, after all, and the more victims the better ...the more blood and guts the better.

The actors were well-suited for the roles they played, but I felt let-down by the non-closure at the ending. Then when I learned there would be a sequel ... well, that explained it. I can live with that.

This movie was filmed in 2006, and I saw it for the first time last night (on DVD). I told my son what I was watching and he told me the sequel is even better. I plan to run to the video store and enjoy back-to-back HILLS ... with a huge bowl of buttered pop-corn.

Anyone wish to join me?

Donald Duck: Case Of The Missing Mummy
Donald Duck: Case Of The Missing Mummy
by Shelly Block
8 used & new from CDN$ 13.02

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Donald Duck's latest adventure! It's intriguing and hysterical!, Sept. 29 2007
I received an advance readers copy of this book and was absolutely delighted. I've always enjoyed Donald Duck's crazy antics; his voice alone is enough to drive me into hysterics!

You just have to see how mischievous and overbearing he is in the setting of Egypt's Bey of El Dagga! It's enough to drive an insane person SANE.

And those nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie, are as precocious as ever; wait till you see how they react when someone kidnaps poor little Huey. Wow! Speaking of adventure!

The neat twist to this book, Gemstone's first-ever "Choose-Your-Own-Disney-Adventure, is that you, the reader, help decide the fate of Donald and Company. How unique is that?

This is a modern tale of Egyptian intrigue that I recommend highly. Your kids will love it!

Power Play
Power Play
by Joseph Finder
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Action-packed adventure! Kept me reading all night long ..., Sept. 16 2007
This review is from: Power Play (Hardcover)
As many people say, best-selling author Joseph Finder does for CEOs what John Grisham does for attorneys--makes them exciting, entertaining, and larger than life!

Finder's famous for focusing on various industries in his popular novels; in POWER PLAY it's the aviation industry. The action in this novel takes place at an elite hunting lodge off the coast of British Columbia. When the management team of California's Hammond Aerospace meets there, an unlikely character--a junior executive named Jake Landry--is asked to fill in for his boss.

Jake may not be as sophisticated, wealthy, and privileged as the higher-ranking businessmen, but he's clever and proves much smarter where it really matters. His "smart-mouth attitude" doesn't help endear him to the others or alleviate the tension developing between the "egotistical" men and the new female CEO, Cheryl Tobin, who has been hired to "clean up" the company.

Toss in some armed hunters who take over the compound--pretending to be thieves but whom Jake suspects have much more devious ambitions--and you have an action-packed drama with more twists and turns than an Indy race track.

And why are the thieves armed with military weapons? What is their real goal? Will the businessmen help Jake overcome them or are they too cowardly? Is the CEO who was in line for Cheryl's job behind it all? Well, you'll just have to wait and see. I promise you a thrilling, white-knuckle read from start to finish.

Finder keeps us guessing about Jake's background, hinting at some juvenile offense, and he's excellent at characterization. All his characters have unique identities and come alive for me. He weaves an irresistible premise with enough high tech jargon in the plot to keep it believable.

This is my fourth book by this author and I couldn't put it down. Finder once said that the best piece of writing advice he ever received was: start the story at the last possible moment--in the middle of the action. Perhaps that's why he's so good at "hooking" his readers on the first page.

I recommend tossing this book into your Amazon cart; it's well worth the money. I thank his promotional team for sending me an ARC of this fantastic novel.

I Was a Teenage Popsicle
I Was a Teenage Popsicle
by Bev Katz Rosenbaum
Price: CDN$ 11.25
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hip! Hilarious! Hot! A must read for teens!, Sept. 15 2007
As I've always said, books that attract me are the ones with really clever, original plots ... and this is definitely in that category. Actually, it's so unique it fits in that elusive category agents and publishers are constantly seeking: HIGH CONCEPT.

Author Katz Rosenbaum has created a teen character (Floe Ryan) who is frozen (cryonics) along with her parents because of some rare disease they carry. Now it's ten years later and she's unfrozen, so must learn to cope with all the changes that have taken place during that time. One of the hardest problems is the trauma that comes from being different in the eyes of her classmates. Equally hard on Floe is that her younger sister is now her older sister. And what teen can't imagine the consequences that could arise from a "combustible" sibling situation like that?

Unfortunately, her parents are not thawed yet, and when a problem arises at the Cryonics Center, it's up to her to help solve it. Adding to the intrigue is a hottie boyfriend, Taz, who ... But that's enough of the plot; don't want any spoilers here. You'll have to RFY (read for yourself).

This is a hip book set in a hip California clime, a book that you won't want to put down until the satisfying ending. Chick lit at its best ... with an exciting touch of sci-fi to add to the broader appeal.

Congratulations to Ms. Rosenbaum on an awesome job of structure, characterization, dialogue, description and all the masterful writing that creates a terrific book.

Sunrise on Kusatsu Harbor
Sunrise on Kusatsu Harbor
by Dan Maloney
Price: CDN$ 17.77
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.21

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring story of lovers torn apart by the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, Sept. 15 2007
Dan Maloney's debut novel is one of the best I've read in a long while. It tells the story of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki from an entirely new perspective--from the inside looking out.

Two lovers are torn apart on the day of the bombings, only finding each other years later. What happens to Tori and Mieko will tear at your heart strings. Why does Tori not reveal herself to Mieko when she finally finds him? Why does he seek revenge on Americans? And how are his eyes finally opened to forgiveness?

To find the answers you'll have to RFY (read for yourself). I'm not about to put any spoilers in this review.

This is a story of true love that lasts a lifetime, of destruction, revenge, and, finally, of redemption. Dan Maloney proves himself a talented writer as he brings his characters to life right before your eyes. He's great at dialogue, description, and pacing too.

I couldn't put this book down; the plot held me spellbound. I fell in love with Tori and was rooting for her all the way. I wanted to slap Mieko up the side of his face a few times, but, all in all, he was a good man.

Great job, Dan Maloney! I look forward to more novels from you and will follow your career with interest.

Dark Pacific 03 Final Fathom
Dark Pacific 03 Final Fathom
by David Meadows
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Author David E. Meadows has come up with another winning series ... the third best-selling series for this retired Naval Captain, July 29 2007
In this third book of the DARK PACIFIC trilogy, as the book description describes, North Korea prepares for war, so the man-made island fortress known as Sea Base will have to prove itself under fire or perish under the depths of hostile waters. And that's as much of the plot as I'm going to divulge.

David Meadows is great at suspense, and the characters are so believable I felt like I were traveling the ocean with them. You can't go wrong by "casting off" with this author's heroic characters; even the bad guys will intrigue you.

This a really different kind of sea story, highly recommended by everyone I know ... not only for men but for women and young adults too. Wait until you read about the phenomenal Sea Base; what a wonderful imagination Meadows has!

Also recommended: Meadows's other best-selling series: THE SIXTH FLEET and JOINT TASK FORCE.

Star-Crossed
Star-Crossed
by Linda Collison
Price: CDN$ 18.36
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic debut novel! Can't wait to read the second book in this trilogy!, July 29 2007
This review is from: Star-Crossed (Hardcover)
Although I don't generally read historical novels, this one intrigued me because I'd had some contact with the author whose background is so interesting I just HAD to read her first novel.

And Linda Collison doesn't disappoint! Her personal knowledge of boating and sailing shine throughout, as does her detailed research ... from her vivid descriptions of the seafaring life to the authentic jargon of seafaring people of those days. These characters and settings came alive for me; I felt Patricia Kelley's pain, her fear, her yearning ... admired her bravery.

STAR-CROSSED is a fascinating story of a young, eighteenth century, proper British schoolgirl whose father dies, leaving her in dire circumstances. Her father promised her a plantation in Barbados, but how is she to get there ... with no one to help? What is a poor, helpless girl to do?

Helpless? Well, this bold, inventive young woman proves to be anything but helpless. Wise-beyond-her-years, Patricia uses her wits to get aboard a ship sailing for Barbados. It's a daring escapade as she sets sail on the greatest adventure of her life.

You'll have to read the book to see how truly inventive our heroine is ... to learn of her relationship with bosun's mate Brian Dalton and other fascinating characters. Can a proper British lady find love and happiness with a bosun's mate? With a ship's surgeon? Could this be the meaning of Star-Crossed in the book's title?

Does our heroine ever regain her rightful estate? Or is her destiny, her happiness elsewhere? Well, you'll have to RFY (read for yourself) to find out. I promise you an exciting reading adventure with many unexpected twists and turns.

Bravo, Ms. Collison. This is a brilliant debut novel, as bold and full of passion as your memorable heroine. I can't wait to read the second book in this trilogy; I want to know more of Patricia and Brian. (My hat's off to the cover designer, also. It's not only aesthetic, it's very creative and colorful.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20