Profile for L. R. Travis > Reviews

Content by L. R. Travis

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

L. R. Travis "lotsoftreasure" (Mansfield, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Get Your Act Together
Get Your Act Together
by Pam Young
Price: CDN$ 11.19
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the classics, March 12 2004
This review is from: Get Your Act Together (Paperback)
Okay, obviously some of the people writing reviews here are not the kind of people it was written for. ("why would I need a card to tell me when to change the kitty litter?) We all know that lots of people in the world cannot even imagine that some people struggle with the simple routines of life. They think that people with messy houses just don't care. Really, even those of us who struggle sometimes can't understand why we can't manage those things that seem so simple for other people. Well, if you are the kind of person who can't understand why someone would need a reminder to make up the bed, do laundry, etc. -- you just won't get this book. If you are the kind of person who hates living in chaos but can't figure out how to get out of it, you just might love this book. Also, I highly recommend Sink Reflections and The Messies Manual.

How to Play from a Fake Book
How to Play from a Fake Book
by Blake Neely
Price: CDN$ 13.68
38 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars now I get it!, Jan. 19 2004
I took piano lessons for 5+ years and in elementary/junior high. I never had the least idea how to make any chord, except by reading the notes. I never knew why one chord was called a G and another was a C7. (Possibly my teachers tried to tell me, and I was not paying attention -- I wasn't the most attentive student.) I started recently trying to play keyboard and I bought one of those little books that shows every chord and its inversions. Very time consuming to look up and try to memorize each chord! But after reading this book and "How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons" I can actually sit down and play any major chord, and figure out any minor, diminished, augmented, and 7th. There is actually a rhyme and reason behind it all! Who knew?! I'm having a lot of fun with these books, although I can't say I'm ready to play for an audience.

The Right Stuff
The Right Stuff
by Tom Wolfe
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorite books..., July 4 2003
This review is from: The Right Stuff (Paperback)
This book is just a thoroughly enjoyable read. Funny, exciting, charming, moving; what more could you want? It does certainly personalize the astronauts, but I do not agree that it cuts these heroes down to size, as some other reviewers have suggested. On the contrary, Mr. Wolfe's theme is that these men really are heroes, albeit thoroughly human ones. He does, however, let us know that there are a lot of other men out there who are just as heroic, without the acclaim. Don't miss this one!

by Ann Coulter
80 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Please! Look up the documentation! It's important!, July 3 2003
The fact that so many people are giving this book 5 stars and praising its "facts" and documentation is downright scary! Check out these "facts" before you believe them! To get started, go to Spinsanity.org, a non-partisan site that exposes deceptive statements from BOTH sides. (They hit Michael Moore just as hard as Ann Coulter.) It is amazing how often a mis-statement is made, the media quotes itself repeatedly until before long, it becomes accepted wisdom. I believe most conservatives are thinking people who want to know the truth. I hope I am right!

by Ann Coulter
80 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A fair and balanced defense of McCarthyism, June 30 2003
Oh, yes, this is the kind of America I want to live in! An America where it is treasonous to criticize the president (unless he is a Democrat). Where only people that agree with ME are considered patriots! Where a Committee on Un-American Activities is a good thing! Yes! Let's have one in every community! We'll just let each community vote, anything unpopular will be declared Un-American! We could all turn in our neighbors if they criticized the government! What a great country this would be!
Ann Coulter is not funny, she is scary. If it were up to people like her, America would not be worth defending. I have always considered myself a moderate, able to listen and learn from both sides. I have always believed that most conservatives and liberals are people of good faith, with common goals -- just disagreements about how best to reach them. If Ms. Coulter represents what conservative Americans believe then I have been very wrong and the historical ideals of America are in jeopardy. What about it, conservatives? Does Ms. Coulter speak for you?

Expecting Adam
Expecting Adam
by Martha Beck
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one!, Oct. 28 2002
This review is from: Expecting Adam (Paperback)
This is one of my new favorite books. When a book has me shedding tears of sadness AND laughing out loud repeatedly, (sometimes at the same time!)it's got to be a winner! This is a beautiful book, one that I could thoroughtly identify with -- even though I don't have a Down Syndrome child, didn't attend Harvard, haven't experienced the paranormal experiences they did. The books' true-ness transcends those external experiences and touches those internal experiences that mothers, women, (people?) all share.

Take off Your Pants and Jacket
Take off Your Pants and Jacket
Price: CDN$ 18.35
23 used & new from CDN$ 9.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, June 16 2001
Ok I don't know what that other guy's problem is because this is a terrific CD. It's not for everybody and I think there's a lot more language in this CD than their previous ones but if you liked Enema you'll love Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
DVD ~ George Clooney
Price: CDN$ 11.98
43 used & new from CDN$ 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, June 16 2001
This review is from: O Brother, Where Art Thou? (DVD)
For some reason, the previews for this movie did not make me want to run out and see it. It wasn't until I heard raves about the soundtrack that I thought it would be worth checking out the video. What a wonderful surprise! Just an absolutely terrific movie! We watched it last night and had to watch it again today -- even funnier the second time around. Tim Blake Nelson absolutely should have won Best Supporting Actor. I am probably going to have to buy the video -- something I almost never do -- but this is one that will be fun to watch again and again.
BTW -- the music is as wonderful as I've heard. I am not particularly a blue grass fan, but I may be now! I'm just not sure whether to buy the sound track or the movie first!

At Any Cost: How Al Gore Tried to Steal the Election
At Any Cost: How Al Gore Tried to Steal the Election
by Bill Sammon
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.22

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for you if...., May 10 2001
If you are looking for an interesting, un-biased behind the scenes look at the biggest election story of our lifetimes, sorry! This isn't the book for you! If, however, you bought the Republican party line that trying to get a more accurate count was trying to "steal" the election, you'll love the book. I didn't buy the party line OR get much out of the book. (Luckily, I was able to get my money back!) Perhaps there was some worthwhile information in there somewhere, but when a book is SO clearly biased, I can't believe anything it says! Sadly, many Americans obviously look to such works as The Truth.

A Monk Swimming
A Monk Swimming
by Malachy McCourt
Edition: Audio Cassette
Price: CDN$ 16.06
11 used & new from CDN$ 3.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this! No Angela's Ashes, but still great fun!, Jan. 5 2000
This review is from: A Monk Swimming (Audio Cassette)
I was a great fan of Angela's Ashes, but after reading so many negative reviews of A Monk Swimming at this site, decided not to buy it. After Christmas, I found a copy of it on the bargain table, and thought it was worth checking out. What a treat I had been missing! Now, I'm ordering the audio book, because to hear these hilarious stories read with an Irish brogue has got to be even more fun. I can certainly see how some people might be offended at some of the language and raw anecdotes, but if you can handle such things, this book is a rare treat. Don't expect another Angela's Ashes; the books have almost nothing in common! Remember how Frank McCourt describes his brother in his two books: as an irrepresible, irreverent, adorable, charming scamp, you'll know what to expect from A Monk Swimming.

Page: 1 | 2