Profile for wilfulcait > Reviews

Content by wilfulcait

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"wilfulcait" (Bowie, MD United States)

Fact Of A Doorframe
Fact Of A Doorframe
by Adreinne Rich
Price: CDN$ 14.44
29 used & new from CDN$ 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, sharp language, April 6 2004
This review is from: Fact Of A Doorframe (Paperback)
I don't read poetry on a regular basis, but I loved this book of work by Adrienne Rich. Every time I page through it I find something new to catch my eye.

The Years of Rice and Salt
The Years of Rice and Salt
by Kim Stanley Robinson
Price: CDN$ 9.89
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame this boring book can't get 0 stars, June 28 2003
It's unusual for me not to finish a book, but I'm having a difficult time plodding through this one. It lacks almost everything. It doesn't have continuity of plot, except at a ruinous level of abstraction -- as if a story set in the Roman Empire had the plot "Rome rose and then fell." It doesn't have compelling characters; instead, there are a bunch of cardboard cutouts who go through their paces and, when there is any risk of one becoming interesting, KSR kills everyone off and we go on to the next incarnation. I'm a fast reader, but I've been at this book for almost two weeks, because I keep wandering off to read toothpaste tubes, cereal boxes, almost anything other than this. If I weren't downright stubborn I wouldn't be bothering to finish.

For the Defense
For the Defense
by Kate Wilhelm
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating characters & good relationships, June 25 2001
I'm a real fan of Kate Wilhelm, both because her plots are interesting, and because her mysteries feature adult women who have good relationships with their fathers and healthy romantic relationships that don't make me want to throw the book away cursing their stupidity. Her books are consistently good -- she never disappoints. And her use of language is beautiful.

The Surrendered Wife: A Practical Guide To Finding Intimacy, Passion and Peace
The Surrendered Wife: A Practical Guide To Finding Intimacy, Passion and Peace
by Laura Doyle
Price: CDN$ 13.71
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars My husband doesn't want a subordinate, April 4 2001
My husband and I discussed the precepts in this book. His conclusion is that she is recommending manipulative, passive-aggressive behavior; that if he'd wanted a subordinate, he'd have married someone else; and that strong men want strong women as partners -- not people who are unwilling to voice an opinion.
With that said, the author's own description of her past behavior makes clear that she never was a partner in her marriage. It's a shame that she can't conceive of any alternative to having one person or the other be the boss!

The Knowledge of Water
The Knowledge of Water
by Sarah Smith
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd take this book to a desert island, Oct. 3 2000
I just finished Sarah Smith's The Knowledge of Water. Absolutely incredible, with passages at the end that are worth reading, and reading again, and then stopping to savor. It's a book about passion, and in particular the passion for one's art, one's calling, and how people honor that passion in the context of a whole life -- not "fit it in," because passion cannot be accommodated, does not fit comfortably around the edges -- and it's about how expectations twist people's lives. And it's about women, their expectations for themselves, men's expectations, about the choices they make, about what it does to a person to give up her truth in order to do the laundry and buy the groceries and raise the children.
There are no bad guys in this book. There is a pianist who loves a man, but who for days leading up to her first public performance forgets to write to him. There is a doctor who gets caught up in saving his hospital and forgets that he has left his bride-to-be in a cheap hotel. There is, yes, a wedding that comes off in a paragraph, because the story is not about weddings but about marriage, of which the wedding is only an incidental part. There are discussions of love and risk and art and truth and forgery. I think -- although I won't know for years -- that this book will bear reading and re-reading, and may be one of the ten books that I would take to a desert island.
I was reading this book in Penn Station, waiting for a train, and had to sit down on the floor because I was so far into the book that I was beginning to lose track of where I was.