Profile for Adam Munro > Reviews

Content by Adam Munro

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Adam Munro (Canada)

The Drawing of the Three: (The Dark Tower #2)
The Drawing of the Three: (The Dark Tower #2)
by Stephen King
Price: CDN$ 9.49
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than 'The Gunslinger', June 13 2014
I wasn't a huge fan of the first Dark Tower novel for a few reasons (you can check my review of it for an in-depth explanation), and I was worried to continue onto the second book in the series. Well, I worried for nothing. I really enjoyed the much more even pacing of this novel and the vivid and clear writing that sucks you right in.

Highlights of the novel for me included the first door 'into' Eddie Dean, the lobstrosities, and the shooting spree towards the end of Jack's door.

Cons were: Detta Walker's story was confusing (I STILL have no idea what bearing the plate or 'forspecial' had on the story) and it seemed like Stephen King really didn't have a good grip on the the antiquated racist language she used. I also didn't like Eddie falling in love with Susannah Dean.

Overall: a vast improvement from the Gunslinger and it made me want to see the series through to the end.

The Gunslinger
The Gunslinger
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Everything in this novel needs more clear explanation, April 19 2014
I've wanted to read the Dark Tower series for some time now, so I dove in.

Pros:
1) It was short so I was done quickly.

Cons:
1) It read like a bunch of smaller stories pieced together (which is exactly the case, apparently. Originally this 'novel' was 5 separate short stories by Stephen King which he threaded together and released as a novel).

2) Nothing is explained. Stories are just related with little to no detail, backstory, or explanation. Some of the stories were interesting but no follow up or explanation after they were told left me wanting more.

3) Other reviews have stated this sounds like a badly written university fanfic - technically also true because King based this novel on the poem 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came' by Robert Browning which he read in university.

4) I'm nitpicking now, but it took Stephen King 12.5 years to finish this. Really? And it's still not great after being revised and expanded....

He does state that they get a lot better as they go on so I've buckled up and purchased the next 6 books to see where this goes.

I love Stephen King's work in general and am looking forward to seeing what happens next.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Eighth Season [Blu-ray]
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Eighth Season [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Charlie Day
Price: CDN$ 24.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 23.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, great season!, Aug. 7 2013
Like most of the other reviews out there I agree this season had a couple of boring episodes (The Gang Gets Analyzed was almost unwatchable) but the rest of them completely make up for that. "The Gang Dines Out" was probably one of the top 3 funniest episodes of all time! Can't wait for Season 9.

Random Access Memories
Random Access Memories
Price: CDN$ 10.00
54 used & new from CDN$ 2.94

1.0 out of 5 stars If 0 stars was a rating, this album would get it., May 22 2013
This review is from: Random Access Memories (Audio CD)
I'm not sure how Daft Punk got so much worse after having 8 years to record this album, but they managed it. Problems I am having with it so far include:

The album t has NONE of their trademark sample usage
Whiny, crappy sounding robot voices (3 seconds with vocoder = this sound)
One song has Giorgio Moroder talking over it during the intro for 2+ minutes. Yes he is a music legend; no I don't want to hear a monologue from him haltingly spaced over a song that would have otherwise been good.
Lose Yourself to Dance would have been good if the aforementioned annoying, whiny robot voices weren't saying COME ON COME ON COME ON ad nauseam over the entire track.

And at track 6, I turned it off because I hate the lead single 'Get Lucky' and after not enjoying over 1/2 the album due to it being completely underwhelming, what's the point in finishing it?

Sorry Daft Punk, go back to your roots and produce something good like Homework or Discovery.

Meowingtons Hax 2K11
Meowingtons Hax 2K11
DVD ~ Deadmau5
Price: CDN$ 14.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 11.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Flew 3000 km for the show, won't purchase this dvd, Feb. 26 2012
This review is from: Meowingtons Hax 2K11 (DVD)
First of all let me state I am from Edmonton. I purchased a $125+ VIP ticket to this massive show in Toronto, spent $600 on a round trip flight, and $900 (split two ways with a friend) for 4 nights in Toronto all for the sole purpose of attending this show. So basic costs, not including food or souveniers, was $1175 give or take.

That being said, I WILL NOT spent $12.99 on this DVD. From what I hear about songs being cut out, overuse of crowd footage, and lack of visual footage really surprises me. I got almost his entire set with my 1080p cannon powershot elph 300 hs, and I would rather re-watch my footage on YouTube for free than give Joel my money for this.

The Hunger Games Trilogy Box Set
The Hunger Games Trilogy Box Set
by Suzanne Collins
Price: CDN$ 37.60
42 used & new from CDN$ 28.58

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard time rating!, Feb. 21 2012
I had a really hard time rating this series overall. The first two books were enthralling and I enjoyed thoroughly. SPOILERS AHEAD: Then the third novel came along and Suzanne Collins ruins Katniss' relationship with almost every other major character over the course of the novel. Peeta is kidnapped and 'brainwashed' to hate her and want to kill her. Her sister is killed off (wasn't the entire point of the series to keep her alive?) Gail supposedly may or may not be indirectly responsible for her death, and Katniss expels him from her life by the end of the novel. For some reason the writing pace changes significantly in the third novel as well. Whereas the first two were fast paced, the third one seems to drag on with a lot of unnecessary waiting around stylistic delays, and then the end of the novel is basically crammed into 3 chapters which leave a LOT to be desired. The epilogue is a joke. Several plot threads are left completely unexplained or just solved with no explanation. ("Oh hey, Peeta actually DOESN'T hate me or want to kill me anymore and we have kids now!" - totally happens and isn't really explained in the 3 page epilogue). I would give the first two books a 4.5-5/5 star rating, and would rate the third 1/5 because at least the first few chapters of the novel were enjoyable.

Overall 2/5 because I liked the first two novels, but I suggest you stop reading there and make up your own ending to the series which will surely be better than what Suzanne Collins came up with.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with Full 1080p HD Video (Black)
3 used & new from CDN$ 361.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera I've owned, Sept. 19 2011
I felt it was time to upgrade from my previous camera (a Lumix DMC FS15) because I wanted something HD and with great low light settings. I primarily use the camera for shooting concert footage so it's imperative it work in a high volume environment and have great low light visiblity. While I haven't been to a show with it just yet, it withstood the test in my car ([...]) much better than the old Lumix would have. I've only heard and seen positive things about the low light environment capabilities so this is without a doubt the most useful, functional camera I've ever owned.

One thing to note is that a 20 minute video at 1080p takes up 4gb of space and needs to write fast, so you should be prepared to spend an additional $70ish for a class 10 32gb SD card.

A Princess of Landover
A Princess of Landover
by Terry Brooks
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible., Dec 23 2010
This review is from: A Princess of Landover (Hardcover)
I'll start off by mentioning I love Terry Brooks. I have all of his novels, and the Landover series is a particular favourite of mine. That being said, after waiting so long for a follow up novel for the series I was majorly disappointed. In preparation I re-read the original 5 and then delved into this. Here are the things that I hated about this pathetic attempt at revising the series:

1) The writing style is completely different. True, given the length of time that has passed things are bound to sound a bit different, but this sounds as if it's being written by a ghost writer.
2) He didn't even get the details of previous novels correct. He has Ben Holiday reference the fact that he has never taken off the medallion. This was both confusing and enraging because that is the central plot of an entire previous novel in the series, when he gives the medallion to Abernathy so Questor can use it as a catalyst to change him back to a man again.
3) The characters had ridiculous, trite names. Laphroig? Shoopdiesel? Seriously?
4) There's a very obvious attempt to bring back or reference every single character that's ever been in the series, which is done in the worst and least subtle way possible. Going back to point 1), Edgewood Dirk and Strabo don't even have the same manner of speech as in previous novels.
5) Extremely obvious plot set ups. As soon as Misty gets back to Landover in chapter 1 Strabo flies down and tells her "not to ever use his image again or he'd personally appear there within minutes to punish her". Gee, could she possibly use that to get a powerful Dragon to come to her aid later in the novel?

I could go on, but I won't. Please save yourself the money and the sorrow and skip this. Read and love the previous five books, but avoid this and the last forthcoming instalment as well.

These Hopeful Machines
These Hopeful Machines
Price: CDN$ 13.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 13.76

5.0 out of 5 stars BT's new cd delivers at long last., March 7 2010
This review is from: These Hopeful Machines (Audio CD)
After so much waiting what more can I say? BT's new CD is the best music I have heard in 5 years, at least.

I don't even know what else to say, just buy the CD and let yourself be taken away.

I promise you won't be disappointed!

Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy - Theatrical Edition [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Price: CDN$ 34.79
13 used & new from CDN$ 24.00

1.0 out of 5 stars How greedy can you get?, March 2 2010
Waiting such a long time in between the extended editions and the theatrical editions is such an obvious pocket lining scheme that they should be ashamed of themselves. Seriously? Blu-rays are already stupidly expensive, I am NOT paying for LOTR twice no matter how amazing the films are. I think I'm with the other 9 people who agree and rated this 1/5 stars. I am waiting for the extended editions, and I encourage you to rate 1/5 and post a review stating the same.