ARRAY(0xa4022c78)

Profile for K. Woodworth > Reviews

Content by K. Woodworth

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

K. Woodworth "Dad's Medical Bills Fund" (USA)

Bend It Like Beckham (Widescreen)
Bend It Like Beckham (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Parminder Nagra
Price: CDN$ 16.98
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but way too many musical interludes...., Jan. 28 2004
The story was great - I loved how there was tension yet all the characters were caring and redeemable....the tension between cultures, the modern and ancient traditions....There were WAY too many musical interludes though and I found myself fast forwarding through all the music. I liked the music chosen, however the volume was much louder than when people spoke and I felt like I was either going deaf (during the musical interludes) or I already was deaf (during the spoken parts) because I couldn't always understand what the characters were saying with their British accents. It was a feel-good, somewhat fun drama.

I'm with Lucy (Bilingual)
I'm with Lucy (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Harold Ramis
Offered by BARGOONS
Price: CDN$ 6.99
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute..., Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: I'm with Lucy (Bilingual) (DVD)
This was a cute romantic comedy and I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. It was a light movie and pretty well-done. It isn't the best movie ever but I still would recommend it...

Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
by Barbara G. Walker
6 used & new from CDN$ 52.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Different Take on History and Religions..., Jan. 19 2004
Despite the title, this encyclopedia is not necessarily for women. This book reveals an incredible amount of information about myths, symbols, gods, goddesses, fairy tales and religious motifs from a feminist-historian perspective. The Women's Encyclopedia has aided me in countless occasions for research - but the book is so plentiful with historical anecdotes & the threads that brought about contemporary symbols that I often get lost amidst its propensity. The information within is interesting & rarely found elsewhere. Walker certainly did her research. This book is worth every penny.

Rose And The Beast
Rose And The Beast
by Block
Price: CDN$ 11.25
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Retelling of Fairy Tales, Jan. 18 2004
This review is from: Rose And The Beast (Paperback)
I found Francesca Lia Block quite by accident. I was looking online to see what Suza Scalora (one of my favorite artist/photographers) had illustrated - to see if she had published any other books (in addition to her Fairies and other book) - and I noticed she had illustrated the front cover of The Rose and the Beast (it's a gorgeous photo illustration, by the way).
This collection of "fairy tales retold" by Block was intriguing. I have long been retelling fairy tales in a weird and twisted way, so I was naturally curious as to how Block treated it, and wondered if she was a "sister spirit" in writing. Reading about Block, I noticed she was placed by publishers in a strange liminal zone where she wasn't quite treated as a writer for an adult audience (fairy tales are always treated as childish in the Western world), but she was too dark and real for children. She now has a very avid fandom of young adult females.
The Rose and the Beast had some dark adult undercurrents in its pages, but nothing too horrifying for women coming-of-age. Inside her pages are stories of Sleeping Beauty pricking herself with heroin needles, Bluebeard the serial killer and Little Red Riding Hood's Wolf as a child molester and wife-beater. Many of the other stories were less intense - but frankly, I liked the stories that touched upon the more violent and sadistic side of society better. There was something more satisfying about them.
I found "Wolf" to be very suspenseful and intriguing - it had a genius quality - a story that flowed so easily it seemed the author wrote it quickly and in a deep trance. The voice of the narrator was very raw - it seemed honest and real. One paragraph reads: "I don't know what else I said, but I do know that he started laughing at me, this hideous tooth laugh, and I remembered him above me in that bed with his clammy hand on my mouth and his ugly ugly weight and me trying to keep hanging on because I wouldn't let him take my mom away, that was the one thing he could never do and now he had..." (p. 127-128)
"Bones" was another one of the stories I just loved. It begins with "I dreamed of being a part of the stories-even the terrifying ones, even horror stories-because at least the girls in stories were alive before they died." (p. 153) Bones continues with "We were all over his house. On the floor and the couches and tables and beds. He had music blasting from speakers everywhere and I let it take me like when I was at shows, thrashing around, losing the weight of who I was - the self-consciousness and anxiety, to the sound. He said, You're so tiny, like a doll, you look like you might break. I wanted him to break me. Part of me did. He said, I can make you whatever you want to be. I wanted him to. But what did I want to be?"
As you continue to read, you discover that "Derrick Blue" is a modern-day Bluebeard, collecting bones in deranged, serial killer fashion...And the story gains in suspense while you root for the female narrator to escape his Casanova clutches.
Block ends her book with a punch in her story "Ice". It first reads: "She came that night like every girl's worst fear, dazzling frost star ice queen. Tall and with that long silver blond hair and a flawless face, a perfect body in white crushed velvet and a diamond snowflake tiara." How many hordes of young women can relate to their hearts getting run over as the men (or boys) they love fall for an "ice queen"?
Block's genius is that she writes in a down-to-earth, yet metaphorical fashion for her readership: the young female. She finds the archetypal themes still threading through contemporary society and shines light on them, while catching a raw and honest young woman's voice, as if in snapshot.
About the only weak link that I found was her story Charm. I got a little lost in Charm and wasn't always certain - or interested - in what was happening. It could have been my mind-state at the time however, and the other stories were well worth it, so I should give Charm another chance.
I'm now another fan of Francesca Lia Block, for her modern-day risks in lyricism, her magical realism, her metaphorical, mythical themes, her archetypal yet fleshed out characters...Since The Rose and the Beast is divvied into 9 stories, her book is both a fast intriguing read, and one you can easily put down if you are interrupted constantly by a busy lifestyle. The book is definitely worth buying, and in this case, you can tell a book by its cover!

Prescription for Nutritional Healing: Third Edition
Prescription for Nutritional Healing: Third Edition
by Phyllis A. Balch CNC
73 used & new from CDN$ 8.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference Book..., Jan. 18 2004
If there is ever a book I refer to again and again when I am not feeling well or have some physical challenge, this is it. Prescription for Nutritional Healing is Western in its foundation, although it doesn't encourage typical synthetic Western pharmaceuticals. In various sections, the book explains how various vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, herbs and natural food supplements work, and which are best to take in combination. Balch reviews wholistic lifestyles & alternative treatments such as fasting, juicing, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, preparing for & recovering from surgery. The bulk of this virtual encyclopedia is focused on ailments and disorders - everything from Acne and Age Spots to Wrinkling of the Skin and Yeast Infections is described in detail. Symptoms are explained, as is other possible causes for the symptoms. Nutrients & herbal remedies are suggested to help put the individual back into a state of balance, and the nutrients are categorized into very important, important and helpful. Many helpful recommendations and considerations are added at the end.
Although Prescription for Nutritional Healing does not delve into detail about preventative care & healthy choices so that you don't get sick, it is a thorough reference book for when you do. It's many insightful suggestions have helped me & my loved ones through insomnia, colds, fevers, hypoglycemia, eye troubles, backaches and allergies. I've given a copy of the book to several family members & "in-laws" and they always value and appreciate it. Prescription for Nutritional Healing is a classic when it comes to educating ourselves about our well-being & taking responsibility for our good health.

Acu-Yoga: Self-Help Techniques to Relieve Tension
Acu-Yoga: Self-Help Techniques to Relieve Tension
by Michael Gach
17 used & new from CDN$ 9.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Yoga Series + Variety of Postures to Heal Ailments, Jan. 18 2004
This is by far my favorite Yoga book. I have been practicing Hatha Yoga for years (Hatha Yoga is the physical Yoga that is the most common form in the Western world), but have discovered that many of the techniques and sets of asanas (exercises) described in Yoga books were not very tuned in to Westerners. Acu-Yoga combines Acupressure and Hatha Yoga into a very palatable form for the common Westerner. It is the best book I've seen as of yet for anyone suffering an acute or chronic disease or symptom. There are symptomatic exercises for such discomforts as the common cold, sinus problems, menstrual tension to exercises for more serious problems such as hypertension and spinal disorders. I have often warded off an oncoming flu or cold by following some of the advice in Acu-Yoga. There is additional supplemental advice from Michael Gach, in terms of lifestyle and nutritional imbalances - and very effective solutions to bring our bodies back into a state of harmony.
For instance, on our natural resistance to illness, Gach writes: "An ancient Indian method for maintaining resistance against illness is to swing a thick branch or club back and forth. The Yogis would do this when they felt any illness about to come on, since it was common knowledge that the tensions which accumulate between the shoulder blades contribute to illness. The swinging motion helped break down this tension. Swinging a baseball bat around moves and stretches the shoulder blades to release the tensions that collect there."
He goes on to describe the exact acupressure points around the tips of the shoulder blades, and then delves into a Yoga asana to help alleviate the oncoming flu or cold. Every exercise is complete with both a photo and an illustration, which details precisely his written directions. I have a terrible time learning physical things from books, even when they have illustrations and photos, but I have never had difficulty from Acu-Yoga.
Even if you aren't prone to illness or a symptomatic approach isn't for you, Acu-Yoga is split into 5 parts: a general introduction to the philosophies and practices of yoga and acupressure, a series of exercises based on the meridians (channels) of acupressure, a whole-body self-treatment emphasizing flexibility of the spine, a series of exercises that balance the chakras, and then the Acu-Yoga postures that benefit specific conditions.
This is a perfect book for the Westerner just beginning to practice Yoga, and for anyone who has an interest in expanding their current horizons of Hatha Yoga and Acupressure.

Feminine in Fairy Tales
Feminine in Fairy Tales
by Marie-Louise Von Franz
Price: CDN$ 18.77
29 used & new from CDN$ 12.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening Discernment Between the Feminine & Anima, Jan. 18 2004
There are not very many fairy tales geared towards the real woman and the real woman's needs and life journey. Most fairy tales with female characters are based around the real man's inner woman - the anima. Von Franz accurately points out some of the fairy tales which point the way to healing for women, and delves into the meaning of their symbols. Even those who only have a rudimentary idea of Jungian concepts would learn a lot from The Feminine in Fairy Tales. I have read the book several times, learning more and more from each reading. I highly recommend it.

Forever
Forever
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 13.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethereal....Magical....Beautiful....Excellent!, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Forever (Audio CD)
I love the Cranes. This is one of my favorite albums. It is ethereally beautiful and haunting. I highly recommend it!