Profile for Green Arrow > Reviews

Content by Green Arrow

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Green Arrow

Page: 1 | 2
In Our Gun
In Our Gun
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 5.41
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez, you are the best, March 29 2002
This review is from: In Our Gun (Audio CD)
First of all, I didn't even know this was out until I saw it at Hasting's and immediately bought it. And second of all, it's a great record. It's a lot different than the other two, in that there's more electronic stuff going on, but if you are a fan of Gomez, there's no way you won't like this. It's instantly accessible, much more so than the other two albums. And while I have a soft spot for "Liquid Skin", this one is definitely just as good as the first two albums. Good stuff.

The Woody Allen Collection Set 2 (Another Woman, September, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Alice, and Shadows and Fog)
DVD ~ Woody Allen
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 87.77
8 used & new from CDN$ 57.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Quit complaining., Oct. 21 2001
I can't believe all the bad reviews this has gotten. This box doesn't hold a bad film, yet there's so many complaints about it not holding any comedy or being to serious or something. First off, "Another Woman" and "September" aren't really funny at all, but hey, they excellent anyways. And the other three, "Crimes and Misdemeanors", "Alice", and "Shadows and Fog", are essentially comedies! Sure, "Crimes..." has a deathly serious side, but really... does that matter? "Alice" is one of those movies you can't really have any complaints about. It's really fun to watch. The weakest film here is, true, "Shadows and Fog", but that does not by any circumstances mean it is a bad film. It has excellent cinematography and it is really funny at times. Definitely worth seeing, even if it is one of Woody's weakest films. All in all, you pretty much get the best of Woody Allen here. Really funny, funny and whimsical, funny and sad, deathly serious, and more deathly serious. A fine box set. -Randy

DVD ~ Woody Allen

Hopelessly Devoted to You - Vo
Price: CDN$ 6.89
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than any Punk-O-Rama or Fat Music, Aug. 25 2001
This is the best punk comp I've bought. Like any comp, there's a bunch of ..., but on this one there's just as much good stuff as there is not good stuff. There's about two songs from each band and in most cases, if one song is good, both of them are. The good ones are by Mustard Plug, Selby Tigers, Falling Sickness, Digger, The Queers, The Weakerthans, and, of course, Samiam. There's a few other good ones, but those are my favorites right now. If nothing else, buy this comp for the fact that Samiam and the Weakerthans are on here and that it's only four bucks. -Randy

Lazy Line Painter Jane
Lazy Line Painter Jane
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 38.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 18.55

5.0 out of 5 stars To my Dog on Wheels (phase two), Sept. 2 2000
This review is from: Lazy Line Painter Jane (Audio CD)
Tis I. The one, the only, the music fan from Ponca City, Oklahoma. If there's one review I regret, it is my anonymous review of the 'Lazy Line Painter Jane' box, and so I shall now re-review it, ep by ep. Dog on Wheels: The first of the three, this really, really sounds like just a demo tape, but it's a fantastic demo tape. From the looseness of the 'Belle and Sebastian', to the near-flamenco guitar part of 'String Bean Jean', from the spanish tinge of 'Dog on Wheels', to the alternate version of 'State I Am In', this is a great ep, and worth the price of all three if you ask me.
Lazy Line Painter Jane: This one is really the odd one out. The first song is one of my least favorite Belle and Sebastian songs out there. It's not that it's too long or anything (past the five minute mark), it's just that the lead singer in the song is a guest vocalist and her voice clashes with the music. The next song is 'You Made Me Forget My Dreams', which is one of the saddest and sweetest songs Stuart Murdoch ever wrote. The third song on the ep is 'Photo Jenny'. It is very poppy (think 'Mayfly') and very silly and very Belle and Sebastian. The last track is a Stuart David pre-Looper song in which he speaks of his wife, his father, and his cat named Elvis. Very funny and very sweet, this is my favorite track on 'Jane'.
3...6...9 Seconds of Light: This ep is the reason I am re-writing this review. I terribly misjudged it the first time around and now it is time to set things straight. This is my favorite of the three eps, hands down. The first song is 'Century of Fakers' (which is 'Century of Elvis' minus Stuart David's story and with Stuart Murdoch's vocals in the foreground), and it is a great, great song. The next is 'La Pastie De La Bourgeoise', a fast surf/new wave song with some of the most sharp, bitter and witty lyrics contained in any Belle and Sebastian song. The third track is about Lisa, a recurring character in the band's songs, who has to deal with being blind, naive and just plain messed up. 'Beautiful'. The fourth song on this ep has to be one of my all time favorite songs. The lyrics are almost exactly true to my life and I was shocked at how much I could relate to it. Great song. The last track (a hidden one) is in my opinion, the best song Belle and Sebastian has ever made. It's so simple and cheaply recorded with lyrics about the band being on the radio. Wonderful.
Anyway, this is the end of my incredibly long review, and I hope I have corrected all of my wrongs. Buy this and be happy, or sad. It's all the same.

Central Reservation
Central Reservation
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!!!!! You need this! Yes, you! YOU NEED THIS!, July 14 2000
This review is from: Central Reservation (Audio CD)
This is by far my favorite album of all time. Beth Orton somehow topped herself after the stunning "Trailer Park" and the great EP "Best Bit". I bought this album in September, and I can almost smell the autumn air when listen to this. This is the first album I bought by Beth Orton, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but did I! This is something I would rank with Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left" and Belle and Sebastian's "If You're Feeling Sinister". The music is more folky than "Trailer Park", but electronica fans don't fret. There are some (great) techno moments like "Stars All Seem to Weep" and Central Reservation (The Then Again Version)", but for the most part the instruments are played by people. Ben Harper guests on "Stolen Car" and the beautiful "Love Like Laughter", and Doctor John sits in on piano in the flawless "Sweetest Decline". Beth's album recieved a lot of hype and critical praise last year, and if you're skeptical on whether or not to buy the hype, DO IT! You won't, can't, be let down.

Husbands & Wives [Import]
Husbands & Wives [Import]
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.00

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry, but..., July 10 2000
I really love Woody Allen. I haven't seen all of his films or anything, but "Annie Hall" and "Sleeper" are among my top ten favorite movies of all time. I think the seventies was his best decade. The eighties also proved productive, but the nineties, middle of the road. He definetly had his moments ("Everyone Says I Love You" and "Sweet and Lowdown") but he also had some stinkers ("Deconstructing Harry" and "Celebrity"). I decided to see this movie based on good reviews and my almost unwavering love of Woody Allen. I watched it the whole way through, waiting for it to get good, but I'm sad to say, it never did. I found the characters to be annoying and the continual strife between the characters was not pleasent to watch and got old after a while. I don't even think it was that effective. Woody was as always, excellent, and Juliette Lewis and Mia Farrow pulled their weight, but I thought Judy Davis, an actress I'm not to fond of anyway, was miscast. I also did not care to much for Liam Neeson's and Sydney Pollack's performance. Not a movie I would recommend to a 70's Allen fan, but if you liked "Deconstructing Harry"... See "Interiors" or "September" instead.

Trailer Park
Trailer Park
Price: CDN$ 15.29
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beth Orton is my favorite person born in the 20th century!, July 3 2000
This review is from: Trailer Park (Audio CD)
Words cannot describe how much I love this, but I'll give it a try. Beth Orton's "Trailer Park" and newer works are absolutely beautiful, both the music and her wonderful voice. This album combines folk and a little electronica with spectacular results. There is no way you can lose with album. Every song is amazing, with styles ranging from flat out techno (Tangent) to country (How Far), from orchestral (Don't Need a Reason) to atmospheric (Galaxy of Emptiness.) Everyone on the face of this planet will like at least one song if not more on. Great, great music that is sure to last for the rest of time.

Ok Computer
Ok Computer
Price: CDN$ 12.72
70 used & new from CDN$ 3.24

5.0 out of 5 stars !, June 29 2000
This review is from: Ok Computer (Audio CD)
This is the simply one of the best albums of all time. Period. From start to finish, OK Computer is a flat out masterpiece. Every song is absolutely compelling and you would have to be made of stone not to like it. The music is ground braking, the words are beautiful, and Thom Yorke has such a sad voice on some songs (Airbag, Let Down, Karma Police, No Surprises) you may just brake down and cry. I know I do. Buy this or miss out.

I Should Coco
I Should Coco
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 30.57
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Alright!, June 29 2000
This review is from: I Should Coco (Audio CD)
"I Should Coco" is by far the catchiest, funniest, best Supergrass album to date. As you may know, "In It for the Money" (the band's sophmore album) found Supergrass maturing and although "In It for the Money" is a great album, I kind of wish they were still punky spoiled brats. This is the perfect soundtrack for a young hooligan's life: Caught By the Fuzz chronicles a night in jail, Alright is pretty much a kiss-off to maturity, etc. My favorite song on the album is Time. It sounds like an Early Stones recording, an that's when the Stones were the best. All in all, a great album that never let's me down. Come on, there's even a farewell song (way better than the Beatles' Good Night I might add) at the end. Who could ask for more?

Page: 1 | 2