Profile for Jacquelyn Bailey > Reviews

Content by Jacquelyn Bailey

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jacquelyn Bailey (Ft. Washington, MD)

Joshua
Joshua
by Joseph Girzone
Price: CDN$ 12.78
139 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars a minor quibble, July 1 2004
This review is from: Joshua (Paperback)
Overall I liked JOSHUA--it was a light, touching, feel-good book, and sometimes you need something like that. I only have one minor quibble. Joshua carves a statue of Moses for a local synagogue? I thought the Jews were totally against graven images! That said, I still thought the character of Joshua was compelling, and the book a pleasant read.

NEW Angels In America (DVD)
NEW Angels In America (DVD)
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 34.16
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars beyond wonderful, June 22 2004
This review is from: NEW Angels In America (DVD) (DVD)
If they had released this movie in the theaters, there would not have been enough Academy awards to give to the writer, the director, and the wonderful cast. Who should get Best Actor? Al Pacino as the loathesome Roy Cohn or Justin Kirk as the dying Prior Walter? Who should get Best Actress? Meryl Streep as the practical, compassionate Mormon housewife, or Emma Thompson as the beautiful, terrifying angel? This series had me riveted to the TV set. I could not do anything but watch. Get this movie. You owe it to yourself to witness one of the major artistic events of the decade.

Return of Chandu, Volume 2 (Chapters 7-12)
Return of Chandu, Volume 2 (Chapters 7-12)
DVD ~ Bela Lugosi
Price: CDN$ 6.98
21 used & new from CDN$ 3.48

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful old serial, Feb. 14 2004
Today I sat down with popcorn in hand and watched THE RETURN OF CHANDU, both DVDs. It was wonderful! It had the kind of wonderfully improbable plot you don't see now that movies have to be believable. Bela Lugosi, cast against type as the dashing hero, battles evil cat-worshippers for the life of his Egyptian princess fiancee. Good thing he has most of the powers of a Jedi Master! If you want to see the kind of old serials that inspired the Indiana Jones movies, this is a good one to see.

Whom The Gods Love
Whom The Gods Love
by Kate Ross
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars I mourn Julian Kestrel, Feb. 10 2002
This review is from: Whom The Gods Love (Hardcover)
I mourn Julian Kestrel, and even more, I mourn Kate Ross, the gifted writer who created him. I would have read ten, twenty or more Kestrel books, but alas, there are only four. In WHOM THE GODS LOVE, Kestrel investigates the death of a "golden boy" who turned out to have a nasty way of ferreting out other people's secrets and turning them to his advantage. The question is, which of Alexander Falkland's many victims finally killed him? Like Anne Perry, the late Ms. Ross touched on the social problems of the time, but her touch was lighter. I recommend WHOM THE GODS LOVE and all the other Kestrel books to anyone who enjoys the work of Anne Perry and Dorothy L. Sayers.

Thus Was Adonis Murdered
Thus Was Adonis Murdered
by Sarah L. Caudwell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars delightful, wodehouse style, Sept. 11 2001
Having read two of Sarah Caudwell's books so far, I have decided that Hilary Tamar is a man. In fact, I would cast Sir Derek Jacobi as Hilary in the MYSTERY series of the books--should they ever make one.
I find the mysteries delightful in their anachronistic style, and I wish Sarah Caudwell had lived to write ten or twenty more!