Profile for Thoms-Mom > Reviews

Content by Thoms-Mom

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thoms-Mom (Somewhere In America)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Full Screen)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Dick Van Dyke
Offered by Mega Media CA
Price: CDN$ 36.78
13 used & new from CDN$ 3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty - FUN FUN !!, Feb. 13 2004
I kept hearing from my friends who have young children (2 - 5 year olds) that their children loved this movie, so I decided to finally buy it and check it out for my 2.5 year old son. He loves it and so do I. It has all the important components for a fun family/childrens movie:
1. The Music: It's fun and gets my son up and dancing around the room. Also the words are catchy and easy for children to learn (although Chitty can be tricky for the little ones :-)
2. Story line: It's really fun and easy to follow. Anything with a car, let alone a flying car rates high with my son.
3. Children: The children in the story are sweet and respectful. Since there is a boy and a girl not only does my son like it, but his little friend (a girl) also relates.
I have a lot of "dusty" DVD's that I wish I could return, but I'm confident that you won't regret spending $'s on this one and making part of your family DVD/VHS collection.

Blow Fly
Blow Fly
by Patricia Cornwell
112 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Blow Fly - Blows !!, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: Blow Fly (Hardcover)
I've read every book in the Scarpetta series and as a HUGE fan I pre-ordered this book and eagerly awaited my copy. I was so excited the day it arrived and ripped open the box in anticipation. Unfortunately there is no other word to decribe this book other than - TERRIBLE. I'm almost offended that Patricia Cornwell thinks she can deliver this poorly written garbage to her loyal fan base without backlash.
Patricia Cornwell should spend less time trying to uncover the secret plot to kill Princess Diana, or uncover the true identify of Jack the Ripper and focus some attention on the charector that made her the money she needs to travel the globe on her kooky quests.
The only thing this irritated fan can do at this point is warn some unsupecting person (you) looking to purchase this book. Don't waste your time or money on this one. If I could return it - I would.

Raising Confident Boys: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
Raising Confident Boys: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
by Elizabeth Hartley-Brewer
Price: CDN$ 11.91
94 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is worth your time and $'s !!, Sept. 29 2003
I've bought a lot of "raise your child to be" books, but this one is one that I continue to refer back to. It is very insightful and VERY well layed out which makes it a pleasure to read (half the battle).
This book comes into play when your son turns around 18 mos. old, but you'll use it until he is probably in his teens. I pick it up often and read through areas that are important to me at that time and feel like the tips they give you to communicate really do work.
I've definitely gotten my money out of this book and I'd recommend this highly.

ON BECOMING BABYWISE
ON BECOMING BABYWISE
by Gary Ezzo
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Baby UNwise - Save your $, Sept. 29 2003
This review is from: ON BECOMING BABYWISE (Paperback)
Listen. Like all "quick guides to getting your baby on a sleeping schedule" this is an interesting, but fictional read. This book promises a surefire guide to getting your baby on what all new parents dream about - a "sleep schedule". Well keep dreaming. There is nothing remarkable in this book (except if you think placing your child in its crib and allowing him/her to scream him/herself to sleep) is insightful.
I was a new mom (Thomas is 2 now) and actually did an excel spreadsheet after reading the book and was quite pleased at what Thomas' (and my) new schedule looked like now that I was "BabyWise". I still giggle when I think about it.
My advise is. If you really are intrigued, try it. If it works for you great. If you try it and you aren't comfortable, ABORT mission immediately. I felt like I failed when I couldn't pull it off - I know now that was an unreasonable plan for my son (he by the way is an excellent sleeper). In the end, kids figure it out, they always do.
The best advice I can give new parents is follow your head and your heart. You know more than you think.
PS: In the interest of being an informed parent, I would also suggest that you go on the web and do a little research on Gary Ezzo before you jump in. I did after I bought and tried the Babywise method and was pretty surprised about what I found out.