Profile for David Stabler > Reviews

Content by David Stabler

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

David Stabler "dwivian" (Marietta, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Price: CDN$ 5.97
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The extras are worth the DVD, Oct. 3 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense (Bilingual) (DVD)
The extras on the DVD (making of, extra footage [which explains why it was cut, in my opinion], and the director's first horror film) were nice additions to an amazing story. By the way, the butler did it.
Okay, so there _IS_ no butler. But, I can't say much more without running the risk of giving away the story, so I'll just stop here and say it's a great purchase. And, even with the knowledge of the story from a first viewing, it's worth a second and third watch.

The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 26.48
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD worth the widescreen..., Oct. 3 2000
This review is from: The Fifth Element (DVD)
I prefer widescreen. It is a favorite of mine, and the main reason I prefer DVDs is that they can have a widescreen version. This movie is SO MUCH BETTER on widescreen, with the enhanced angles and, of course, the DVD resolution, that I heartily suggest it over the VHS version.
Why this movie, though? Really cool story line, and some good cheesy moments. You have to love the radio-star!

Ladyhawke
Ladyhawke
DVD ~ Matthew Broderick
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 89.98
8 used & new from CDN$ 40.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story! AWFUL music....., June 9 2000
This review is from: Ladyhawke (DVD)
I guess we all concur - even with the transfer to DVD they just *HAD* to bring over that hideous music. I do my best to ignore it, and the story is good enough that I succeed most of the time, but I just don't wanna think about the bishop grabbing his crozier and stepping out on the dias, lighting up under him in blocks, to the beat of "Staying Alive". And, this is entirely what it sounds like to me....*GAG*
Still, it is lots of fun, and bargain priced! Take advantage of the opportunity to put a favorite show into your permanent collection for little money.

Labyrinth
Labyrinth
DVD ~ David Bowie
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 25.59
42 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Connelly, as a young girl!, June 9 2000
This review is from: Labyrinth (DVD)
My wife showed me this film, made in the same pattern as Dark Crystal, to prove that muppets could be serious actors. Actually, I think she's hung up on the Goblin King, but I can't find fault with that -- he's cool, does this amazing trick with crystal spheres, and walks through an Escher world with the right regard for gravity.
Me, I just noticed that Jennifer Connelly was pretty good even back then. I had no idea she'd been in movies this long!
And, when we heard that Hoggle was hiding out in the lost luggage depot (there is a store in Alabama that buys luggage that never gets claimed or returned to the right people that managed to get a Hoggle muppet that stays in permanent display in their museum of the weird) I just had to watch it again.
The DVD is a really good transfer, and the audio quality is standard DVD fare. I just wish there were the special tracks that other DVDs have, but maybe they'll release a new print in the future and make us all rush to buy it again!
I know I would!

Price: CDN$ 5.97
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ARG! Now I own the DVD, and I know the ending!, June 9 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense (Bilingual) (DVD)
The problem with buying a film like this, one that is masterfully done, with suspense and thrills, is that once you know the secrets the story isn't quite the same.
But, the angles, lighting, and dialog make this one a keeper despite that. The additional footage on the DVD, along with the commentary, makes for quite the fun second and third viewing! And, if you are as forgetful as I am, you can watch it again for the first time a few months later anyway.
A great buy, for such a good film!

Excalibur
Excalibur
DVD ~ Nigel Terry
Price: CDN$ 8.11
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great rendition of the tale, even if the armor is wrong..., June 9 2000
This review is from: Excalibur (DVD)
Nobody can accept that Arturus probably wasn't going around in full plate armor, because it is really flashy and makes good cinema. Oh, well. Still, the story is done VERY well, with an amazing blend of sword and sorcery, much like the real thing.
The lighting, sets, and characters are done very vividly, even if it surprised me to see Patrick Stewart in the middle of the Sword scenes. I just expect him to draw a phaser and take out the opposing forces, I guess.
My wife loves Merlin. I have to replay his lines several times just to make her happy. Well, as they say, if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, so we replay a lot.
Gotta love DVDs! They don't stretch like VHS tape!

Winds of Heaven, Stuff of Earth
Winds of Heaven, Stuff of Earth
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 31.19
7 used & new from CDN$ 30.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary Christian, good beat, no dancing, though!, June 9 2000
This is a good CD, filled with powerful words and good musical rhythms. The message is clear, more so than many other musicians of this genre who produce family-oriented bubble-gum pop music about doing good and being good without returning the focus to Jesus and God.
There are many mixed feelings about "Awesome God", which is a powerful and well handled piece. If Rich really doesn't like it, well, he still did a good job of singing it! I wonder now how he likes the works he's done on other CDs...
Time to find that One-Click button and surf for related titles!

Runaway Sunday
Runaway Sunday
Offered by nagiry
Price: CDN$ 4.95
25 used & new from CDN$ 4.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Not their best, but still pretty good...., June 9 2000
This review is from: Runaway Sunday (Audio CD)
This was a present for my wife, who loves to listen to Altan on our multi-disk changer. As a result I've learned that this isn't their best effort, but is still pretty good. Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh is spellbinding, but the nature of the recording is subtly different from previous works, and doesn't sound quite as bright nor bold. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure that this, while still amazing, could have been just a little better.

The Taming of the Shrew
The Taming of the Shrew
DVD ~ Elizabeth Taylor
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 3.94
31 used & new from CDN$ 3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Good transfer, GREAT FILM, subtitles in asian languages?, June 9 2000
This review is from: The Taming of the Shrew (DVD)
I used to check this tape out from the University film library and watch it on the top floor of the main library in the media center any time I wanted to get a lift. It's a really well done version of the great play, and of course Taylor and Burton make it a joy to watch.
I was a bit concerned about the transfer to DVD, as many such transfers have been poorly handled with degraded masters. There is some age to this master print as well, but the transfer comes off very good, with little pixillation, and the sound is bright and clear.
Imagine my surprise when I found I could listen in multiple languages, and view subtitles in others! And, we're talkinga bout going beyond the basic French or Spanish! I don't even know what some of those were, but it was cool to watch!
And, there can't be enough said for the ability to view this movie in wide-screen for the first time! I had no idea how much image I was missing!
Now I just have to convince my wife to get a bigger television!

Shadowlands
Shadowlands
DVD ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 158.30
13 used & new from CDN$ 36.48

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought it for my wife. Really. I'm serious., June 9 2000
This review is from: Shadowlands (DVD)
Anthony Hopkins does an amazing job portraying the story of C.S. Lewis and Joy Gresham, and how waiting on love is the most foolish of self denials.
I bought this DVD for my wife. The transfer is pretty good, and the sound is well done. The camera work really showcases the scenery well, and picks up on the ambiance the directer wanted.
And, after all that drivel, I must admit, I just *LIKED* it. I don't like this kind of film, but it was **GOOD**. Don't tell my wife.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3