Profile for Aaron G > Reviews

Content by Aaron G

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Aaron G (London, Canada)

Retribution Falls
Retribution Falls
by Chris Wooding
Price: CDN$ 10.82
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ketty Jay Series, March 24 2014
This review is from: Retribution Falls (Paperback)
I am writing this review not only for Retribution Falls, but for the entirety of Chris Wooding's "Ketty Jay" series (Retribution Falls, The Black Lung Captain, The Iron Jackal and The Ace of Skulls). I can't recommend this series enough. I bought and read all four novels in the span of the last month, finishing the final book at one o'clock this morning. When I finally closed Ace of Skulls, I actually felt sad that this would be the last time I got to spend time with Darian Frey and the Ketty Jay's crew.

It's not without its flaws, though. "Retribution Falls" is a bit on the rough side, with scenes and chapters that don't quite flow together perfectly. But if you stick with it, by the time you reach the middle of “The Black Lung Captain”, the series is firing on full cylinders and you're in for a ride that will take you all the way through the Mummy-movie like “The Iron Jackal” and won't end until the very last triumphant pages of “The Ace of Skulls”.

A lot of people have compared this series to a steampunk version of Joss Whedon’s “Firefly”, something that I would honestly consider to be a great compliment. It’s true that Ketty Jay hits many of the same notes, but eventually it evolves into something special of its very own.

In the end, though, Ketty Jay has one major thing in common with Firefly – I think I will always feel the same sadness that I’ll never again step foot on that beat-up old ship Ketty Jay or have a drink with Frey and the crew.

Thanks, Mr. Wooding. It’s been a long time since I loved a series this much. You’re an inspiration to us wannabe authors.

Caveat Emptor
Caveat Emptor
by Ken Perenyi
Price: CDN$ 20.38
51 used & new from CDN$ 8.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly disappointed, Jan. 9 2014
This review is from: Caveat Emptor (Hardcover)
Several months ago, I saw Mr. Perenyi's interview about this book on CBS' Sunday Morning program and, being interested in the art world, it seemed like a good read. Now, I'm about 170 pages into it and extremely disappointed. Rather than a backstage look at the underground art world, it seems to be a collection of stories about the famous people Mr. Perenyi met and/or hung out with (Roy Cohn was his lawyer? Really?), 1960s and 70s counterculture, drug use, the parade of women he slept with and how many people he robbed, with only the occasional discussion of the art.

While it may be a good look at the seedier side of New York in the 60s and 70s, I find that it doesn't exactly deliver what was promised.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Art of the Animated Series
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Art of the Animated Series
by Various
Price: CDN$ 24.44
46 used & new from CDN$ 23.08

4.0 out of 5 stars No longer available?, June 22 2010
Being a huge fan of the series, I was about to order this book but now it's saying that it is "Available for pre-order" even though the release date is June 15th and it was available yesterday. What happened between yesterday and today?

NEW Complete Series (DVD)
NEW Complete Series (DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaged Goods, June 16 2009
This review is from: NEW Complete Series (DVD) (DVD)
I bought this gift set for my fiancee as a birthday present after she saw it advertised on TV. Unfortunately, when it arrived, half the discs had a line of paint streaking the backs of the discs. I returned it and got a replacement, only to find that it was even more damaged than the first set. I've since returned the set for a refund.
Honestly, I was disappointed with the manufacturer of the set. I wouldn't try buying this again until I learn that the packaging is completely redesigned.