Profile for Mark > Reviews

Content by Mark

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mark (Ontario, Canada)

Sightmark .223 Boresight
Sightmark .223 Boresight
Price: CDN$ 35.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 35.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, Aug. 10 2013
This review is from: Sightmark .223 Boresight (Sports)
It'll save you a few bullets but don't expect this thing to be perfect. It does the job and it will get you reasonably close @ 50 yards, but beyond that it will definitely take some fine tuning as to be expected. Just be aware that the laser itself is not 100% straight and I tested this out using a method that I found through the US reviews.

1) Put the sight in one of the grooves of your .223 magazine (an AR-15 mag is what I used)
2) Point it at at wall, flat surface, etc.
3) Rotate the bore sight in the groove so it spins in the channel.
4) Watch the dot on the wall spin in a circle.

This is your radius for error. And even at 50 yards it is fairly big, so at 200 yards+ you still have quite some work to do. It can be fine tuned with some watchmaker's tools (my precisions screwdrivers were still too large) if your model has the outer screws. Otherwise you can scratch one side of the bore sight and always try to place it in the chamber aligned to that mark every time.

But this particular bore sight is quite inexpensive and those high-end models cost over 600 bucks. So there ya go.

Hoppe's Gun and Reel Silicone Cleaning Cloth
Hoppe's Gun and Reel Silicone Cleaning Cloth
3 used & new from CDN$ 13.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Shiny but messy, Aug. 9 2013
If you're putting your firearm away for storage this is a decent product to use. It really brings out the shine on any material. There are better products out there to protect your firearm but this one is inexpensive, quick to use and doesn't take up much space. I don't recommend using this if you plan on shooting any time relatively soon after application because the silicone makes it very slick and you'll have to wipe it all down again to remove it.

Gerber 22-01769 Shard Keychain Tool
Gerber 22-01769 Shard Keychain Tool
Price: CDN$ 7.90
19 used & new from CDN$ 5.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, awesome EDC, Dec 11 2012
For under $10 it's hard to find a better "that's so cool" gift, I keep one in my EDC bag and have purchased others as gifts for friends. Every single person that sees it asks about it and wants one. I only gave it 4 stars because I doubt the effectiveness of it Phillips "cross" head screwdriver, and I haven't tried the wire strippers because I have a professional pair of those. I like my Gerber products and I take some comfort in knowing that I at least have this item on me at all times. And sometimes you just need to open a cold brew with a little style.

Pro Knot Outdoor Knot Cards
Pro Knot Outdoor Knot Cards
by John Sherry
Edition: Misc. Supplies
4 used & new from CDN$ 29.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little item, Dec 11 2012
For just five bucks this purchase is a great buy as a gift for those less handy or a convenient reminder when in the field and a certain step slips your mind. This 2012 edition has 17 knots with adequate step-by-step diagrams and descriptions that identify their best uses. The rivet is tight and it seems like it will hold up, but a small carabiner or a loop of paracord will make sure they never come apart and will let you attach it to your pack. I keep it in my BOB and bring it along when I go camping.

Gerber 22-41121 Prodigy Survival Knife
Gerber 22-41121 Prodigy Survival Knife
Price: CDN$ 61.04
7 used & new from CDN$ 57.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife, Oct. 24 2012
Arrived in excellent condition from Amazon. Has a real solid weight to it. The grip on the handle leaves a little to be desired but it's not terrible by any means. As another reviewer stated, the two straps that hold the handle in place to to the sheath are a bit excessive and I plan to remove the lower one. The MOLLE system attaches perfectly to the side of my 5.11 RUSH 12 backpack with no annoying wiggle room. The sheath itself is extremely durable and high quality.

It's not dull when it arrives but it could use a solid stone sharpening. I was torn between this model and the Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife but save yourself the 30 bucks and grab this gem.

Braun Series 7-720s Pulsonic Men's Shaver (Black)
Braun Series 7-720s Pulsonic Men's Shaver (Black)
Offered by Mercury Shaver Centre
Price: CDN$ 199.95
11 used & new from CDN$ 164.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance for the price, April 11 2012
I've been using regular disposable razors for years and thought I'd try and switch back to electric for a while. Surely the technology must have improved over the years and fixed those annoyances that made me go back to blades in the first place.

Nope.

It takes me a long time to shave with this model, probably longer than regular bladed shaving and not nearly as quality a cut. To get every hair I really have to tug, pull and stretch my face out ... and even then is usually takes vigorous passes over the same areas to get a reasonable shave. My facial hair is thick and grows in several different directions, so the areas above/beside my chin and the central part of my neck takes a long time to get a satisfactory look to my shave. And it results in regular problems with ingrown hairs.

This one is supposed to be one of the best shavers out there I feel like it was a waste of money. I'd try and get a refund if I could actually ...

Wacom CS100W Bamboo Stylus for iPad (White)
Wacom CS100W Bamboo Stylus for iPad (White)
Offered by TradeFlow
Price: CDN$ 8.82
4 used & new from CDN$ 7.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional choice, April 10 2012
The craftsmanship of the pen itself is fantastic. A sturdy, balanced weight enhances the sketching experience. Pick up a few replacement rubber nibs and you'll be set for a while.

I like the soft rubber end compared to the hard plastic ends of other stylus' out there. It allows a little more control and fluid motion of your gestures. If you like to jot down notes on your iPad or use a quality sketchbook app then this is the pen for you.