Profile for Douglas Stone > Reviews

Content by Douglas Stone

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Douglas Stone (Cambridge, MA USA)

Its Hard To Make A Difference When You Cant Find Your Keys
Its Hard To Make A Difference When You Cant Find Your Keys
by Marilyn Paul
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Stuff, June 1 2003
Took me a while to getting around to writing this review. I was procrastining :) Anyway, this book has tons of useful insights for managing your life, whether or not you tend to be disorganized. It doesn't at all talk down to the reader. The examples really hit home, and the writing is of "literary novel" quality.

How to Break Bad News: A Guide for Health Care Professionals
How to Break Bad News: A Guide for Health Care Professionals
by Robert Buckman
Price: CDN$ 28.33
28 used & new from CDN$ 18.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground Breaking, Feb. 17 2002
How to Break Bad News is one of the best books on the subject I've found anywhere. I wrote a book called "Difficult Conversations" which deals with some of the same issues in a broader context, and I am impressed indeed by Buckman's book. I wish healthcare workers everywhere would read it.

Beyond Machiavelli: Tools for Coping with Conflict
Beyond Machiavelli: Tools for Coping with Conflict
by Roger Fisher
Price: CDN$ 15.16
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Liked Getting to Yes...., Aug. 11 2001
If you liked Getting to Yes, you'll appreciate this one too. To me, this book is really about how to think clearly about complex situations. As the authors demonstrate, too often we don't think through the long term consequences of our actions. We react to the past without thinking how our actions will then be interpreted by those we seek to influence. Great book.

Beyond Winning: Negotiating to Create Value in Deals and Disputes
Beyond Winning: Negotiating to Create Value in Deals and Disputes
by Robert H. Mnookin
15 used & new from CDN$ 20.58

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Anyone Who Negotiates, Aug. 5 2001
Wise, comprehensive, practical, and extremely well-written. Whether you are negotiating deals or disputes, whether you see yourself as a gladiator or a problem solver, this book is indespensible.

Smart Money Decisions: Why You Do What You Do with Money (and How to Change for the Better)
by Max H. Bazerman
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Moly, this book helps!, Jan. 14 2000
Read the whole book last night. I consider myself reasonably savvy when it comes to negotiating and thinking about how I spend money. But this book demonstrates the common money decision mistakes that even smart people make. Why not know what the car salesmen or realtors know about this stuff? I highly recommend it.

Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer: Stories
Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer: Stories
by Ben Katchor
Price: CDN$ 14.59
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Katchor is a genius, June 11 1999
This is just about my favorite book. I read the review in the New York Times, which was a rave. I went out and bought it, struggled with the panels at first, but once I got the hang of how to read the narrative along with the inter-woven dialogue, I was simply entranced. Katchor's world is the world I imagine my father grew up in -- the big noisy depression-era city. Katchor has an almost surreal ability to see how unrelated events and moments are connected. Each page is a wonderfully crafted short story, and each panel drawing is packed with humor and nuance, almost as if it were itself drawn by one of Katchor's fallen characters.