Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Content by Thomas Duff
Top Reviewer Ranking: 354

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fytto Style 1067 Men's Comfy Support Travel and Dress Compression Socks, 15-20mmHg, Manufactured by Pintoli (XL, Black)
Offered by Comfytopia Inc
Price: CDN$ 19.95
2 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars They really helped reduce fatigue in my legs..., April 18 2015
These compression socks are perfect for me in a number of ways. For one, I like the support and compression they provide around my calves. I tried them out on a day when I was going to be moving around a lot, and they significantly reduced the fatique I would normally feel at the end of the day. I also like that they are longer and come up just underneath my knee. I tend to have problems with socks rolling down my legs over the course of the day, and there was none of that with this pair.

The fabric is very lightweight and slick, so I didn't have any problems wearing the socks with any of my shoes. I did notice that the foot portion of the sock was a bit on the long side, so next time I would order a medium instead of a large. Still, a quality sock with real benefits. In fact, I plan on taking these with me on an upcoming conference trip. They'll help with both the travel and the large amount of walking I'm planning on doing.

The China Pandemic
The China Pandemic
by A. R. Shaw
Price: CDN$ 13.45
7 used & new from CDN$ 13.44

5.0 out of 5 stars The characters and scenario drew me in immediately..., April 11 2015
This review is from: The China Pandemic (Paperback)
Based on a friend's recommendation, I started the Graham's Resolution series by A. R. Shaw with the first volume titled The China Pandemic. It's a post-apocalyptic story of a group of people trying to survive a pandemic that has wiped out 98% of the world's population. I was thinking this would be interesting, but I didn't expect to get sucked in as much as I did by the characters and their interactions. I ended up caring for every one of the characters.

The virus started as a mutated bird flu virus that got out of control in China. It rapidly spread worldwide with no vaccine or way to stop it. Only two percent of the population showed immunity to the virus, but even then they still became carriers for anyone who hadn't been exposed yet.

The main character, Graham, has lost his entire family to the disease. As he's burying his father, a Korean lady who is near death brings her son to him, making him promise to take care of him. Graham has NO idea of how to raise a five year old that he doesn't know, but he doesn't see that he has much of a moral choice. His plan is to head up to his father's cabin as a refuge against predators and killers. Along the way, he picks up two teenage girls, an elderly man, and a woman around his age. This strange assortment of people have to figure out how to survive in a world that's completely foreign to them, as well as how to get along as a default family.

There are a few parts of the story where things are just a little too convenient in terms of finding what's needed, or how certain conflicts arise. Still, the characters and interactions were very real and likeable. I fought off sleep for the last couple of nights as I was trying to read "just one more chapter", and I decided to buy volumes 2 and 3 from Amazon since my library didn't have them. Very much looking to starting the next one this evening.

Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed

Ohuhu® 50 Feet Super Strong Garden Hose / Expandable Hose, 50 ft Expandable Garden Hose with All Brass Connector & Free 8-pattern Spray Nozzle, Green
Offered by OhuhuDirect CA
Price: CDN$ 44.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very happy with this combo..., March 31 2015
I hate garden hoses. The ones I buy tend to dry out, kink up, and generally they're a pain to use. I got the chance to try out the Ohuhu 75' expandable garden hose, hoping for a different experience. I'm happy to say that I've been very happy with the results.

The hose is exceptionally light, which made it easy to carry around (another thing I hate about regular garden hoses). I hooked it up to our faucet in the back yard, and I had no leakage from the connection between that and the hose (a rarity in my case). I liked the connector for the other end that allowed for turning the flow on and off. That made it a *lot* easier to use with a screw-on bottle of weed and feed. The hose has remained durable over multiple uses, and I ditched the other hoses we had that were too much of a hassle to roll up and store after each use.

The spray nozzle that comes with the hose is also very nice, with a number of patterns ranging from a gentle mist to a full-on blast. It's funny, but it almost gets lost attention-wise since I was so focused on the value of the hose. But having the nozzle and hose combined into a single package is an excellent value.

I may well end up getting another set for the front yard so that I don't have to move the hose around.

Payment: Free

Honeystore Women's Sexy Lace and Chiffon Babydoll Nightwear Long Gown Lingerie with Thong
Offered by Honeystoreca
Price: CDN$ 56.89

5.0 out of 5 stars And it looks very nice..., March 29 2015
I got this for my wife, and it looks very nice... what can I say? I like lingerie. :)

It's a "one size fits most", and it does stretch to cover curvier bodies. The fabric is semi-transparent and very soft, so it covers up the body while also revealing it for a nice tease. The bodice area is unstructured, so it won't provide much in the way of support. Having said that, it showcases that area very nicely. This has a lot of stitching with the lace insets and all, and I'm pleased that they are all finished and lie flat. It's a solid construction and also comfortable to wear.

This is definitely worth buying and wearing for that special evening. I'd be happy if that were most evenings. :)

Payment: Free

iCooker® Coffee Mug - Camera Lens Thermos Travel Mugs for Men & Women - Model 1:1 Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM Lens - Latest Generation Refreshments With Drinking & Quality Stainless Steel Insulated - Best for Morning - Cool Personalized Photo Plastic Mugs with Lid - Lenscup Insulated Tumbler, Vacuum - Cool Dishwasher Safe Customized Cup Holder for Photography - Awesome [12oz]
Offered by Arcadia Mall
Price: CDN$ 58.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique travel mug..., March 28 2015
This iCooker camera lens thermos travel mug is pretty cool, especially for a camera enthusiast. Aside from looking *exactly* like a coffee mug, it does a good job in keeping your hot drinks hot.

The mug holds about 10 ounces of liquid, so it's a bit smaller than some of the other travel mugs I have. I do like the way it tapers, however. It does a good job in fitting solidly into cup holders in cars. The lid is a typical screw-on top with a sliding cap where the fluid comes out.

The mug does a good job in retaining heat. I found that my contents were still hot after four hours, which is about the longest I would go before consuming whatever I was drinking. I found no leaking problems at all, even when I tilted the mug at a steep angle.

The big draw of this mug is, of course, the fact it looks like a camera lens. On that score, it's *excellent*. Even up close, it looks like it's ready to screw into your camera. It has all the ridged rings and switches that you'd see on a normal lens. In case you're wondering, nothing moves on the outside of the cup. All the features are ornamental and fixed in place, so the person using it will not be able to play with the switches and rings. :)

If all you want is a travel mug, you probably would like one that's bigger and holds more liquid. But as a gift for your favorite photographer (or yourself), this is hard to beat.

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (Turquoise Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, distinctive looks..., March 22 2015
I've been trying out these Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones, and they are very nice. Great sound, comfortable, and no noise bleed-through.

These headphones give me a high amount of distance (4.5') from the plug to the earbuds. I've had no issues of them inadvertently being pulled from my ears due to having too short of a cord. Speaking of the cord, I like the fabric covering that they use for it. It makes the cord quite flexible, and it seems to resist tangling better than the normal vinyl cord.

In terms of sound, these are really good. The bass is rich, and the whole sound range is as good as I would expect on regular earbuds. The vinyl earpieces are comfortable, and the package comes with three sets to give you a solid fit, whatever your ear size happens to be. Also, there is no sound bleed-through for anyone sitting next to you. Your co-workers and friends will thank you for that.

Of course, the cherrywood finish on the earbuds give these a classy look, definitely something distinct and different from what you'd normally see. All things combined, I like these a lot.

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic and Nylon Cable (Red)

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (Blue)

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (Black)
6 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, distinctive looks..., March 15 2015

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (White)
4 used & new from CDN$ 19.99