Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Content by Thomas Duff
Top Reviewer Ranking: 417

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Honeystore Women's Sexy Lace and Chiffon Babydoll Nightwear Long Gown Lingerie with Thong
Offered by Honeystoreca
Price: CDN$ 56.89

5.0 out of 5 stars And it looks very nice..., March 29 2015
I got this for my wife, and it looks very nice... what can I say? I like lingerie. :)

It's a "one size fits most", and it does stretch to cover curvier bodies. The fabric is semi-transparent and very soft, so it covers up the body while also revealing it for a nice tease. The bodice area is unstructured, so it won't provide much in the way of support. Having said that, it showcases that area very nicely. This has a lot of stitching with the lace insets and all, and I'm pleased that they are all finished and lie flat. It's a solid construction and also comfortable to wear.

This is definitely worth buying and wearing for that special evening. I'd be happy if that were most evenings. :)

Payment: Free

iCooker® Coffee Mug - Camera Lens Thermos Travel Mugs for Men & Women - Model 1:1 Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM Lens - Latest Generation Refreshments With Drinking & Quality Stainless Steel Insulated - Best for Morning - Cool Personalized Photo Plastic Mugs with Lid - Lenscup Insulated Tumbler, Vacuum - Cool Dishwasher Safe Customized Cup Holder for Photography - Awesome [12oz]
Offered by Arcadia Mall
Price: CDN$ 58.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique travel mug..., March 28 2015
This iCooker camera lens thermos travel mug is pretty cool, especially for a camera enthusiast. Aside from looking *exactly* like a coffee mug, it does a good job in keeping your hot drinks hot.

The mug holds about 10 ounces of liquid, so it's a bit smaller than some of the other travel mugs I have. I do like the way it tapers, however. It does a good job in fitting solidly into cup holders in cars. The lid is a typical screw-on top with a sliding cap where the fluid comes out.

The mug does a good job in retaining heat. I found that my contents were still hot after four hours, which is about the longest I would go before consuming whatever I was drinking. I found no leaking problems at all, even when I tilted the mug at a steep angle.

The big draw of this mug is, of course, the fact it looks like a camera lens. On that score, it's *excellent*. Even up close, it looks like it's ready to screw into your camera. It has all the ridged rings and switches that you'd see on a normal lens. In case you're wondering, nothing moves on the outside of the cup. All the features are ornamental and fixed in place, so the person using it will not be able to play with the switches and rings. :)

If all you want is a travel mug, you probably would like one that's bigger and holds more liquid. But as a gift for your favorite photographer (or yourself), this is hard to beat.

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (Turquoise Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, distinctive looks..., March 22 2015
I've been trying out these Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones, and they are very nice. Great sound, comfortable, and no noise bleed-through.

These headphones give me a high amount of distance (4.5') from the plug to the earbuds. I've had no issues of them inadvertently being pulled from my ears due to having too short of a cord. Speaking of the cord, I like the fabric covering that they use for it. It makes the cord quite flexible, and it seems to resist tangling better than the normal vinyl cord.

In terms of sound, these are really good. The bass is rich, and the whole sound range is as good as I would expect on regular earbuds. The vinyl earpieces are comfortable, and the package comes with three sets to give you a solid fit, whatever your ear size happens to be. Also, there is no sound bleed-through for anyone sitting next to you. Your co-workers and friends will thank you for that.

Of course, the cherrywood finish on the earbuds give these a classy look, definitely something distinct and different from what you'd normally see. All things combined, I like these a lot.

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic and Nylon Cable (Red)
3 used & new from CDN$ 29.99

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (Blue)
3 used & new from CDN$ 29.99

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (Black)
7 used & new from CDN$ 24.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, distinctive looks..., March 15 2015

Payment: Free

Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (White)
6 used & new from CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, distinctive looks..., March 15 2015

The World Of Postsecret
The World Of Postsecret
by Frank Warren
Price: CDN$ 23.19
46 used & new from CDN$ 20.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone struggles with something..., March 7 2015
If you pick up The World of PostSecret by Frank Warren, it's probably because you're already aware of the PostSecret project that he runs. You probably also read his weekly post where he shares some of the thousands of secrets he receives via postcards from all over the world. If you're a PostSecret addict (like I am), you'll love this book.

Contents:
Introduction; PostSecret at a Glance; The PostSecret App; Surprises with the Project; Controversial Secrets; My Own Secrets; PostSecret France; PostSecret Germany; My Unforgettable Call on the Suicide Prevention Hotline; A Message from My Mail Carrier, Kathy; A Favorite PostSecret Event Story; Is There a Perfect Secret?; The Perfect Secret

The things that makes the book more than just a republishing of secrets are the short pieces listed above that Frank adds. I especially liked the story about his mail carrier, and how the project affected her over the years. I'm guessing that it was the best part of her job.

Like all the secrets, some you'll recognize and relate to, and others you'll wonder how anyone could feel that way. If you're lucky, you'll see yourself in a few, either as the sender or the subject. Either way, The World of PostSecret is an interesting look at the things we all struggle with, but never tell anyone else.

Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed

Johnny McCarthy: A Coal Miner's Son
Johnny McCarthy: A Coal Miner's Son
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A sobering look at the life of a coal miner..., Feb. 28 2015
I recently finished Johnny McCarthy: A Coal Miner's Son by Dwight Norris, and it's a good story set in a very depressing time and place, one that America has largely ignored and forgotten. The book was hard to put down, as it was a compelling drama with the main character trying to decide between doing what was necessary to survive and doing what was right for the greater good.

Johnny McCarthy is a coal miner, one who comes from a long line of miners in his family. He lives in a coal mining town in West Virginia with his wife and son, and their existence is very much hand-to-mouth. Miners are treated as slave laborers by the mining companies, and if they're injured or unable to work, they're tossed aside so that another healthy body can come in and keep up the production.

Much of the turmoil in the story relates to the beginning of unionization of the coal minors in the 1920's. McCarthy lives by his father's motto, which is not to bite the hand that feeds you. But he has a hard time reconciling the human abuse and minimal wages against the profits of the mining companies. All he really wants is to provide a living for his family and do his job. However, everyone in his life seems to have an agenda that's less than honorable, and each agenda comes with major risks if wrong choices are made.

I know the life of a coal miner is hard, and it was horrific in the early days of American history. Norris has researched his topic well, and creates a set of realistic characters that quickly immerse you in the life that they live. This may not be a "fun" book to read, but it's a good one that leaves you thinking throughout.

Obtained From: Author

Obsession in Death
Obsession in Death
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I always look forward to new In Death novels..., Feb. 23 2015
Another six months have passed, so it's time for a new In Death novel by J. D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). This time it's Obsession in Death, and Eve Dallas has to match wits with someone who is obsessed (hence the title) with her, and wants to be her friend who can dispense justice when and where Eve cannot. As you can imagine, that's really not who Eve is and how she works.

As with most of the In Death novels, Obsession starts out with Dallas and Peabody catching a homicide shortly before New Years Eve. This wouldn't be an unusual occurrence except for the fact that it was a high-powered defense attorney (that Dallas had gone head-to-head with in the past), and the killer left Eve a personal message on the wall at the scene. The killer tells Eve that they want to be her personal friend, and that they will make sure that those who disrespect her will pay for it in blood.

Dallas has to walk a fine line, because the mind of the killer can turn in an instant. If Eve won't be their friend, then perhaps she needs to be taught a lesson in loyalty and respect. Unfortunately, that makes all of Eve's close friends potential targets, and the possibility that they could be in harm's way is making her desperate to catch the killer in any way possible.

For some reason I can't quite determine, Obsession started out a bit slow for me. I was wondering if this was going to be a rare case of me not completely enjoying an In Death novel. But once the mind games started between Eve and the killer, I was... obsessed (sorry, had to go there). As usual, I hated when it was over... but I know that six months from now, I'll get my next fix. :)

Obtained From: Library