ARRAY(0xb73a2804)

Profile for Thomas Duff > Reviews

Content by Thomas Duff

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bolse® 4.2Amp 20W High Output Turbo Charge Dual USB Port Wall Charger for iPad, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 / S4, Amazon Kindle Fire, etc - White

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding USB wall charger..., Aug. 26 2013
I recently got to try out the Bolse 4.2Amp 20W High Output Turbo Charge Dual USB Port Wall Charger (that's a mouthful!) and see how well it worked. For something that looks so basic, it's a nice wall charger to have around, as it does more than the ones you normally get by default with your smart phones and tablets.

The first thing that stands out is that it has two USB ports for charging, and each one is rated for 2.1 amps. That means that not only can you charge something that draws a lot when charging (think iPad), you can charge TWO of them at once! I tried out charging both my current generation iPad and my Kindle at the same time, and they both charged in the normal time I would expect. Even better is that the charger goes into "trickle mode" when the charging is complete, so you're not continuing to pull a full current when things are topped off. I like that feature. Add in the nice touch where the electrical prongs fold into the unit when not in use, and this is an excellent wall charger.

When I go on vacation, I usually end up with more than one device to charge overnight (either mine or someone else's). This Bolse wall charger will make it easy to get every device charged back up to full capacity with no arguments over who gets to use the charger first.

Payment: Free

Bolse® 4.2Amp 20W High Output Turbo Charge Dual USB Port Wall Charger for iPad, iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 / S4, Amazon Kindle Fire, etc - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding USB wall charger..., Aug. 26 2013

Payment: Free

Bolse® M4 Mini 2600mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank for Cellphones, iPhone5, Tablets, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC Sensation, EVO, One X, etc.(Built-in USB Charging and Micro USB Cable)

5.0 out of 5 stars Major convenience at a very nice price..., Aug. 18 2013
In my continuing reviews of external battery packs for smart phones, I now turn my attention to the Bolse M4 Mini 2600mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank. If you're looking for an extremely convenient lightweight battery pack to extend your cell phone power for an extra day or so, this is a great choice.

The M4 Mini is *very* light (3.2 ounces), so you almost forget you have it with you in a purse or jacket pocket. The 2600mAh rating is on the low end of the power range, but it's good for at least one full charge, and you could probably get a second charge on your phone in most cases. I tested this out with an iPhone 4 at 34%. In an hour, I was up to 92% (figure a percentage point per minute), and the LED charge indicator (three bars) showed about half the charge remaining. That leads me to believe that I could carry the M4 Mini around and know that I could use my iPhone all day without running out of primary and backup power.

Where this really shines for convenience is the fact that the USB and micro-USB cords are permanently attached and fit into recessed grooves on the side of the battery pack. There are also three adapter plugs that fit onto the micro-USB plug, and those adapters allow you to charge items with mini-USB, Apple 30-pin, or Samsung/Blackberry/etc ports. While the micro-USB cord won't fit into the recessed slot if you leave your adapter of choice attached, I don't think that's a major issue considering you'd normally have to carry around an extra cord to begin with. If it bugs you, just put a rubber band around the unit to keep the cord a little more flush while you're carrying it around.

If your needs or use case fit this particular scenario, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better power supply and price point than the Bolse M4 Mini 2500mAh External Battery Pack.

Payment: Free

Bolse® M3 6600mAh Duall Port External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank With Smart Digital Battery Indicator for Cellphones, iPhone 5, Tablets, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC Sensation, EVO, One X, etc.
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 59.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The numeric display for the remaining capacity is a great feature..., Aug. 11 2013
I recently received the Bolse M2 10000mAh Dual Port External Battery Pack for reviewing. I decided this would be my primary battery pack when I went on a week-long vacation. It turned out to be a solid workhorse with a nice feature that I liked...

I left my laptop at home and went with just my iPad 4 and iPhone 4 this time around. As such, I knew I'd need a reliable battery pack to keep things charged while I was away from the hotel. The Bolse M2 performed perfectly. I could plug in my iPhone and use it as well as charge it at the same time. I could also plug in the iPad and use it at the same time, but the best I could do there was to keep the iPad at the level it was at when I started the "charging". That's not a problem, as I know that's a larger power draw than the iPhone. The ability to charge/use even paid off in the hotel room, as the wifi only seemed to work well when I was close to or on the patio. That wasn't close to an outlet, so the M2 got a *lot* of use with overnight recharges to keep things fresh for the next day.

The design and look of the M2 is very sleek and modern. It fits well in the hand, and has an appropriate weight for the charging capacity. The dual port capability is great, as I could charge up my iPhone and iPad at the same time, or charge both mine and my wife's iPhone simultaneously. The feature that sets the M2 apart from other external batteries I use is that it has a numeric display to tell how much capacity is left. So instead of seeing two of four lights and guessing where you might be between 26% and 50%, you know *exactly* how much juice remains before you need to recharge it. That is a major benefit when you get down to what is normally the final LED light on a battery pack. Knowing that you have 23% of a charge left instead of 2% is a big deal if you get down to crunch time.

The Bolse M2 10000mAh Dual Port External Battery Pack is definitely in my normal "go to" rotation of batteries if I'm going to be away from the house for a day or two. It's more than enough power to keep both my iPad and iPhone going beyond their normal capacity.

Payment: Free

Bolse® AON6 Dual USB Output 5200mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank for Cellphones, iPhone, Tablets, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC Sensation, EVO, One X, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good performance for a smaller external battery pack..., July 22 2013
I recently received the Bolse AON6 5200mAh External Battery Pack to try out and review. I have to admit I'm a real fan of the Bolse power packs, as I have a couple of other higher powered ones, and they are top-notch when it comes to performance and charging capacity. While the AON6 is on the low end when it comes to capacity, it's still a great choice to have tucked away in a pocket or purse should you happen to run low on a charge before you can get to your regular phone charger.

The AON6 has two USB outputs, so you technically could recharge two devices at once if you needed to. The unit comes with one micro-USB cable for charging, and one USB cable with four interchangeable plugs for various devices (figure that means most phones minus the Apple lightning connector). Everything stores in a small velvet pouch so you don't lose all the small bits that seem to go missing of their own accord.

For charging my iPhone 4, I ran it down to about 45% and then started a charge from the AON6. In 20 minutes, I had climbed to 65%, which isn't too bad in my book. That'd be perfect for that "just five more minutes" situations you might find yourself in by the end of the day. My iPad 4 was much slower to charge, but that's to be expected given the additional power drain it takes. Overall, it looks like I could get nearly two full charges on my iPhone if necessary. That would make the AON6 a good choice for a lighter weight external battery to carry around on a regular basis "just in case."

I've come to believe that you can never have too many external batteries on hand and charged up should you have an extended power outage. The Bolse AON6 is a welcome addition to the collection.

Payment: Free

FRiEQ® T2 Premium Universal Dashboard Windshield Car Mount Holder for Smartphones including iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Verizon Galaxy Nexus and more
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an *excellent* dash mount unit..., July 21 2013
My iPhone is great as a GPS unit. Unfortunately, there's no good way to place it so that I can easily see the display without looking away from the road. That's why I was more than happy to try and review the FRiEQ T2 Premium Universal Dashboard Windshield Car Mount Holder. I've tried a few dash mount devices before, but this one tops them all.

The unit adheres to the window or the dash with a combination of a sticky pad on top of the suction cup base. Between the suction provided by the press-down lever in the back and the pad, the holder is going *nowhere*. The part that holds the iPhone (or most other smart phone brands) has adjustable side brackets that pop out when you depress the two side buttons, and then ratchets inward to secure the phone. The bottom of the bracket has a flip-out base that gives the phone a ledge to rest on, so that it won't slip out. I'm not sure it would anyway, but it's just another nice touch. The bracket is attached to the base with a swivel that allows for full 360 degree side-to-side rotation (which clicks into place every few degrees). It also has a ball joint with a tightening screw that allows you to adjust the angle of the bracket in just about any position. For instance, I could turn my iPhone sideways and tighten it down, so that my GPS software would show me the route in landscape mode instead of portrait.

Basically, there is *nothing* about this dash mount that I don't like. It does everything I'd want and expect, and it does it well. If you're looking for a dash mount for your iPhone, the FRiEQ T2 is an excellent choice.

by Richard G. Ellis
Price: CDN$ 67.31
22 used & new from CDN$ 60.79

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the book I wished I'd had about five years ago..., May 5 2011
by Richard G. Ellis
344 pages
Packt Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-849682-40-4

In the world of Lotus Domino development, we've been able to build Web applications for around 15 years. With each successive release, we got more capabilities as Domino incorporated more Web standards into the development mix. In the last two years, all the talk surrounding Domino Web development has been focused on XPages. But that doesn't negate the fact that there are still volumes of applications out there that are built with classic Domino Web development techniques and may have to stay that way. If you need help moving past applications that only target the Notes client (and you can't use XPages), you will benefit from reading "IBM Lotus Domino: Classic Web Application Development Techniques" by Richard G. Ellis. While this book would have had a greater impact three years ago, it's still relevant, as you don't always have the leeway to build or migrate a Domino application to the latest in XPages.

Contents:
Chapter 8 -- Agents
Chapter 9 -- Security and Performance
Chapter 10 -- Testing and Debugging
Index

Ellis acknowledges that someone coming to classic Domino Web development with no Domino background is in for a steep learning curve. Looking over the material (as a long-time Domino developer), I would have to agree. You can do so many different things in different ways and in different places. It's not exactly a "coherent" development environment. But if you do have the Domino background, Ellis captures the essential knowledge you need to start building Web apps that make sense, work well, and are visually appealing.

Chapter 1 is more general in nature, covering how to structure your design efforts for any type of application. It is material you should already know if you're a developer with any level of experience, and I'm not sure I would have included it here. Chapter 2 gets more into what to look for in a Domino application, so it's here that I feel you start getting the value out of the book.

The remaining chapters in the book deal with the technical details of each design element that comes into play for a classic Domino Web application. He does an excellent job in mixing the "how to" content with best practices. For instance, how many of us have inherited a Domino Web application (or wrote one!) where the Cascading Style Sheet information is spread all over the application, in field properties, in HTML tags, in inline CSS code, etc. He properly leads the reader to put all the CSS information in a single file where it can be maintained in one place. Just because you *can* put it in numerous places doesn't mean you should. Having someone teach you all this before you start down the Web path means you'll end up with much better applications in the long run.

This is the book I wished I had when I first started trying to work with Web applications on Domino. Some people will say that a book like this isn't necessary now that XPages is on the scene. I'll take the opposing view that until there are no classic Web applications left to maintain, this book has value and is worth having on your shelf.

by Sparkle Hayter
18 used & new from CDN$ 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely better than her last one..., July 19 2004
In hopes that her next work would be better, I read and finished The Last Manly Man by Sparkle Hayter while on vacation this week. It was definitely better than the last novel of hers, so I'll keep her on my favorite author list.
In this story, Robin Hudson is approached by a man who she doesn't know, but who gives her a hat and an address before being abducted off the street by some thugs in a limo. She attempts to find the address to return the hat, but it's bogus. A couple of days later, the guy turns up dead in the waters off Coney Island, and she wants to figure out what happened. A number of people now appear to be after her, and they think she knows some secrets that were passed on by the dead guy. Throw in animal rights activists, vegetarians, missing horny bonobo chimps, and radical feminism (yes, it all fits), and the story gets wacky, crazy, and deadly at the end.
I continue to enjoy the craziness of the story lines that Hayter puts out, as well as the attitude of the lead character as she tries to steer clear of dead bodies and develop some type of relationship with any guy she can find. While this isn't a "deep" novel with a moral or anything, it is a fun read that will provide a few hours of entertainment.

The Taking
The Taking
by Dean Koontz
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, but I like his writing style..., July 18 2004
This review is from: The Taking (Hardcover)
Also while on vacation, I started and finished The Taking by Dean Koontz. This is his latest supernatural thriller novel, and it's not bad. Not his best, but I still like his style.
A couple wakes up in the middle of the night as a strange torrential downpour starts. It feels oppressive and doesn't stop. Even some of the wild animals in the woods around them (like wolves) start acting strangely and seek shelter in their house. News stories from around the world show that this is not a local occurrance, and pretty soon TV and radio stations starting going off the air, along with the power going out. They go into town to try and band together with others, but people are acting strangely. There are odd creatures that are starting to grow out of fungus that isn't natural to the area (or anyplace else), and these creatures seem bent on evil and killing. They can even animate dead bodies and communicate through them. Throughout all this strangeness and killing, the couple is safe, along with the dog that is helping them find children that have been abandoned. Although they don't know why, the creatures seem to be unable to harm the children or the people/creatures that are helping them. The story progresses through the buildup of the alien creatures and what will happen to earth when they are done.
While this isn't probably his best work, I still like his style of writing. He paints vivid scenes with his words, and I enjoy building the story in my mind as he writes. The plot line seems to be a little short, with a lot of writing about not much action. If I didn't like the writing so much, I'd probably give it an average. But since I learn a lot about style every time I read a Koontz novel, I'll bump it up one star from there.

by Sparkle Hayter