ARRAY(0x10b6af18)

Profile for Joan > Reviews

Content by Joan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Joan "jmac530" (Athens, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Songs of Inspiration / I Belie
Songs of Inspiration / I Belie
Price: CDN$ 20.84
23 used & new from CDN$ 4.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Done!, May 22 2004
When I saw that no one else had reviewed this Classic Doubles two-CD set, I could not resist submitting yet another tribute to Daniel's recording genius. When he put together these two special albums, he chose many selections I would have requested him to sing. He is my favorite singer and recording artist. His easy-listening style of music appeals to many of all ages.
SONGS OF INSPIRATION was first released in 1996 and reached the Number 11 spot on the UK National Pop Chart, as did I BELIEVE released the next year. On the UK Country Charts his albums have quite a record of entering at the Number One spot. He loves to sing and chooses songs and hymns because of their special significance to him personally. But they also touch the hearts of his fans.
"Footsteps" on Disk One, released as a single in 1996, made the UK National Pop Chart. It is a song that will stay with you as will "My Forever Friend", "When I Had You", and "Rivers of Babylon".
I highly recommend this double CD set, as I do all of Daniel's music and videos. Watch for his Specials on PBS, for they are wholesome entertainment for the whole family. Or catch him every year in Branson, Missouri in November, or when he is on tour in the States, Canada, UK, and Australia. Or read his book, MY STORY, which Amazon sells. From it, I learned many interesting and fascinating details about his personal life and rise to fame.

Christmas With Daniel O'donnel
Christmas With Daniel O'donnel
Price: CDN$ 18.01
14 used & new from CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Beautiful Christmas Album, Oct. 26 2003
Daniel O'Donnell sings this variety of beautiful Christmas songs in his own wonderful easy-listening way. This album will win him even more devoted fans of all ages in America, who just adore his gentle manner and his beautiful voice. Because I love this special CD, I play it often throughout the year. I really wish he would release another album of his Christmas favorites.
Daniel's absolutely lovely WHEN A CHILD IS BORN, C.H.R.I.S.T.M.A.S., A CHRISTMAS STORY, and SILENT NIGHT capture the historical and religious significance of the birth of the Christ Child and why we celebrate His birthday.
SNOWFLAKE and CHRISTMAS IN INNISFREE have such beautiful melodies. And who can not love the popular favorites like I SAW MOMMY KISSING SANTA CLAUS, WHITE CHRISTMAS, and SILVER BELLS done so beautifully. There is even ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE to satisfy those who love the rock and roll beat! And do listen with your heart to THE GIFT and have your soul enriched.
The beautiful accompaniment with instruments and back-up singers insure that this will be an album Daniel's multitude of dedicated fans, and most others who hear it, will truly appreciate. We love you, Daniel, and pray you will bless us with your most enjoyable music and charming manner for many decades to come.

Hawaiian Touch
Hawaiian Touch
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 18.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Blending of Hawaiian Instruments!, Aug. 4 2003
This review is from: Hawaiian Touch (Audio CD)
I just knew I would love this CD, and it even surpassed my greatest expectations! These duets, with just an acoustic steel guitar played by an older master, Alvin "Barney" Isaacs, Jr. and one of the younger generation's great slack key players, George Kuo, create a most beautiful blending of old and new sounds.
This CD is so beautiful you will be hoping it will never end. I can only hope they will record more of such dreamy and easy-listening Hawaiian music. In my estimation, together they make one of the sweetest sounds this side of heaven!! Do bless us again real soon, Barney and George!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album with Sentimental Value, July 30 2003
THE TWO SIDES OF DANIEL O'DONNELL was not the first album recorded by Daniel, but was the first to be released, and the year was 1985. (THE BOY FROM DONEGAL album mostly recorded in 1984 was his very first but was not released until 1987).
After a slow start, TWO SIDES OF did well and helped launch his recording career along with a previously released single of "My Donegal Shore", which is included in this album. It did not reach the U.K.'s charts upon release, but did after his next album (I NEED YOU) appeared on the charts the following year. Subsequent albums and videos have all appeared on U.K.'s pop and video charts and dominated the country charts entering at the top. His sensational rise to fame has been well-deserved.
This foot-tapping country album is special to me not only because of all the beautiful songs, but because it has sentimental value being Daniel's first album released. If I had heard Daniel's voice for the first time back in 1985, I would have immediately become a fan, as I did when first hearing and seeing him on PBS several months ago. Billy Burgoyne, who is presently Daniel's bandleader, adds his perfect rhythmic percussion backing. He and the rest of the band make for wonderful listening.
The beautiful "Green Glens of Antrim" and "Blue Hills of Breffni", in addition to "Crying My Heart Out Over You", "Your Old Love Letters", and "I Wouldn't Change You If I Could" showcase Daniel's beautiful voice. If you have begun a collection of Daniel's music, you should DEFINITELY include this album. I predict Daniel will gain an ever-growing and loyal following in the U.S., as he has in Ireland, the U.K., and Australia. See him when he performs in Branson, Missouri, and watch for him on tour next year here in the States and Canada. He is an esteemed entertainer of the highest calibre, and one Ireland can take pride in.

From the Heart/Thoughts of Home
From the Heart/Thoughts of Home
3 used & new from CDN$ 3.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Five Star Collection, June 27 2003
When I listened to these two Classic Doubles albums the first time, I was impressed once again with the variety of the beautiful songs Daniel had chosen. Most are 'country style' as I like country to be, and he makes each and every one special. His pleasing voice, perfect enunciation (rarely does one detect his Irish accent when he sings, though some in the Irish melodies, which is as it should be and which I love), and the pleasing country band make these two albums a valuable part of my Daniel O'Donnell collection.
FROM THE HEART was originally released in 1988 and almost immediately was No. 1 on the UK Country Chart and also crossed over into the British pop charts, as happens with Daniel's releases. "Bye Bye Love" and "Wooden Heart", pop favorites, are balanced by "Act Naturally" and "It Keeps Right on A'Hurting", country favorites. Included are several Irish melodies, notably "Old Dungarvan Oak" and "Danny Boy", and an unforgettable rendition of a favorite hymn, "The Old Rugged Cross". "The Minute You're Gone" and "Things" are just beautiful.
THOUGHTS OF HOME was named Britain's 1989 Country Album of the Year by Music Week Awards. There are several beautiful Irish songs done as only Daniel can, "The Isle of Innisfree" and "Forty Shades of Green", which was written by Johnny Cash after a visit to Ireland. "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" stands out as does "A Little Piece of Heaven", "I Know One" and "My Favorite Memory". Each song will vie for your 'favorite', at least that is always how I feel after hearing this album.
This Classic Doubles set will give you enduring pleasure. If you are going to buy Daniel's music for the first time, this might be the way to go, but any of his CD's will more than please. I guarantee if you like easy-listening country, pop, inspirational, and Irish music, this collection will not satisfy for long, and you will want more, more, more! His music is addictive in a nice way!!

Especially for You / Love Song
Especially for You / Love Song
Price: CDN$ 23.36
12 used & new from CDN$ 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection, June 17 2003
Another great Classic Doubles collection of Daniel's beautiful easy-listening music I would not wish to be without. His music whether older recordings or his latest, never fail to give me enjoyment.
ESPECIALLY FOR YOU, released originally in 1994, has such a variety from old favorites like SILVER THREADS AMONG THE GOLD, SOMEDAY YOU'LL WANT ME TO WANT YOU, and SINGING THE BLUES to tunes I had never heard before. I really love all of the songs, but especially SHE GOES WALKING THROUGH MY MIND, BROKEN HEARTS ALWAY MEND, and NEVER BE ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU were meaningful. It is seldom that you find a collection that each and every track is loved, but this album would contend for the top of my list. I hate not to mention every song, and it is as if Daniel recorded it "especially for me". Many others probably feel the same way.
LOVE SONGS was released in 1998 and of course has some especially beautiful love songs like LOVE ME TENDER. Who can ever hear this too often, and though Daniel does it ever-so beautifully, he would probably be the first to say it will forever belong to Elvis. Daniel has a perfect voice for singing love songs, and FOR THE GOOD TIMES, THE WAY DREAMS ARE, SOMEWHERE, and LAY DOWN BESIDE ME are done with great tenderness and deep feeling. SPANISH EYES and SMOOTH SAILIN' are really special, too.
You cannot go wrong if you purchase this set, so please add it to your collection as soon as possible. You won't be sorry.

Peace In The Valley
Peace In The Valley
Price: CDN$ 31.29
17 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasured Collection, June 6 2003
This review is from: Peace In The Valley (Audio CD)
This three-disk collection of Elvis' complete gospel recordings is priceless to me. I have played it through many times and experience new delights each time. I just finished another play-through and decided I must add my applause along with the other fine reviews. Each disk stands on its own merits as does each individual selection.
Disk One probably is my favorite, because it showcases Elvis' extraordinary voice. I am so awed by his range and how he makes each selection his very own with such deep sincerity and intimacy. Also, the back-up musicians are just right - not too intrusive upon Elvis' voice. HIS HAND IN MINE, IN MY FATHER'S HOUSE, KNOWN ONLY TO HIM, HE KNOWS JUST WHAT I NEED, IF WE NEVER MEET AGAIN, WE CALL ON HIM, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE, and WHO AM I are just a very few of the beautiful songs which leave me so blessed. He was known for his very special renditions of CRYING IN THE CHAPEL and HOW GREAT THOU ART, which was a favorite during stage performances and for which he was awarded a Grammy in 1974. LIFE, which I had never heard before, is unforgettable.
Disk Two has many special selections like ONLY BELIEVE, HE TOUCHED ME, HE IS MY EVERYTHING, and an extra-special live version (1974) of HELP ME. I feel the back-up musicians became too predominate on some tracts which detracted from Elvis himself. His is the voice I prefer to hear unhindered. On the other hand there are some with Elvis improvising alone. There is also some quartet improvising - memorable is TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS/NEARER MY GOD TO THEE. The disk is a valuable part of the set and surely special.
The beginning of Disk Three requires and is well-worth undivided attention. Elvis joined in with Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis in the Sun Studios for some impromptu gospel improvising. This was dubbed the "Million Dollar Quartet" session and took place December 4, 1956 in Nashville. Johnny Cash was also present. Obviously Elvis was already well-versed and accomplished in gospel music. It is wonderful to have these lighter moments preserved, when Elvis was still the charming boy-next-door and in the early stages of his phenomenal rise to stardom. There are more recordings of the beautiful inspirational music Elvis gave us throughout his career. Included also is the gospel medley from his '68 COMEBACK SPECIAL, a memorable live version of HOW GREAT THOU ART from June 1977 (he passed away in August 1977), which proves Elvis could still belt out a song in his last days, and finally PEACE IN THE VALLEY from his Ed Sullivan appearance in January 1957, which has special significance to us older fans.
The booklet enclosed with the album gives background and a nice overview of why Elvis loved to sing gospel for personal inspiration and enjoyment as well as make recordings. I just wish Elvis had drawn on the power of God to help him overcome his personal weaknesses. He might still be singing live, but I am thankful for what he left us. If you are a gospel music fan and even if not, Elvis can touch your heart as few others can. This collection is priceless!!

Live, Laugh, Love
Live, Laugh, Love
Price: CDN$ 19.20
15 used & new from CDN$ 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Tire of Daniel's Music, May 17 2003
This review is from: Live, Laugh, Love (Audio CD)
LIVE,LAUGH,LOVE, another desirable album by this personable Irish entertainer, was released in 2001. Daniel's fabulous voice is rapidly winning devoted fans in the U. S. as he has elsewhere. His easy-listening versatility is demonstrated as usual in this album with a mixture of country, pop, and Irish songs. I can listen to Daniel's albums often (I have most of them) and never tire of any.
Included are two lovely melodies which Daniel had a part in writing with Mark Roberts, ALL I WANT IS YOU and I WILL THINK OF YOU, both with lyrics that will touch your heart. I hope he writes more.
As usual it is difficult to pick favorites, but from lively LIVE,LAUGH,LOVE to lovely Irish BELFAST and AMONG THE WICKLOW HILLS, from WALTZ ACROSS TEXAS (I love waltzes) to the meaningful lyrics of ONLY THIS MOMENT IS MINE, Daniel's love of singing comes through his music. GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME is done as beautifully as anyone could do it. For country ballads all of them will surely please especially THANK YOU FOR LOVING ME.
For more about Daniel, please read my other CD reviews. He is a singer you will be hearing more and more about. If you like this kind of music, you will wish you had discovered him sooner as I do.

The Last Waltz / Follow Your D
The Last Waltz / Follow Your D
Price: CDN$ 23.77
15 used & new from CDN$ 8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow Country Music and More, May 12 2003
Daniel is my favorite recording artist, and I would not be without this Classic Double set of two of his hit albums. For more on Daniel check out my reviews on his "Greatest Hits" and "Daniel O'Donnell Show" CD's.
In 1990 Daniel came to America to record "THE LAST WALTZ" in Nashville. This is a collection of beautiful songs with Daniel's melodic voice and impeccable timing doing every one justice. My favorites, though I truly enjoy every number on both disks, are HERE I AM IN LOVE AGAIN, A FOOL SUCH AS I, and MEMORY NUMBER ONE. The backup musicians are country at their best also.
"FOLLOW YOUR DREAM" was recorded in 1992 and contains an Irish favorite, GALWAY BAY, along with his hit single, I JUST WANT TO DANCE WITH YOU. I also especially enjoy NOT UNTIL THE NEXT TIME and BACK IN MY BABY'S ARMS AGAIN. The backup musicians also add their toe tapping talents to this album.
His exceptional rendition of HOW GREAT THOU ART is a fitting finale to this easy listening album. I am just so overjoyed that his earlier recordings have been made available for his new fans in America and elsewhere. These Classic Doubles Albums are an exceptional value. In my estimation his earlier recordings are just as good and equally as enjoyable as his more current releases.

The Daniel O'Donnell Show
The Daniel O'Donnell Show
Price: CDN$ 28.44
16 used & new from CDN$ 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment at Its Best, May 10 2003
This is a CD with a wide variety of songs taken from the sound track of a video/DVD of the same title filmed in Killarney, Ireland. Portions of the show were used as a PBS Special, and this is when I first heard Daniel and became an immediate fan of this appealing singer. If you enjoy the easy listening kind of music you can sing along or dance with, or just tap your toe to, this collection of songs will give continuous enjoyment.
Daniel puts his heart into his music. He is a captivating entertainer with a beautiful voice, good looks, and who reached stardom in the U.K. during the 90's. His popularity is growing rapidly in the U.S. because of his appearances on PBS and yearly shows in Branson. He has recently begun touring in the U.S. Watch for him!! He is an entertainer who can keep you smiling and lift your spirit to new heights.
If you like the CD, you will love the VHS or DVD. He dances, too, and is accompanied by his own delightful band plus an orchestra. A special guest, Mary Duff, adds a lovely female presence with her beautiful voice and looks. Their duets, "I Heard the Buebird Sing" and "Vaya Con Dios" will thrill your heart. Their voices blend so well.
If you love Irish melodies, his renditions of "An Irish Lullaby", "Belfast" and "Galway Bay" are so touching. Other favorites of mine are "Waltz Across Texas", "Only This Moment is Mine", and "When You Walk in the Room".
But topping everything is his closing of "How Great Thou Art", which I have never heard done more beautifully and with such reverence. You are left with the thought that in some special way God has touched your very soul through Daniel's music.

Page: 1 | 2