Profile for J. M. Woods > Reviews

Content by J. M. Woods

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J. M. Woods "Teacher, Exceptional Student Education" (West Palm Beach, FL)

Conspiracy (Widescreen)
Conspiracy (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Kenneth Branagh
Price: CDN$ 9.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 6.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Watching, March 17 2004
This review is from: Conspiracy (Widescreen) (DVD)
I had the opportunity of viewing Conspiracy during a Holocaust Education workshop for teachers. It is very accurate (from what I have read) and does show the inner-works of the Wansee Conference.
I believe that the film was either filmed on location or at a place that was very much similar to the Wannsee House. I had the opportunity to travel there this past summer with a group of teachers. I was struck by how much the movie prepared me to think about the house and it's importance in the creation and implementation of the "Final Solution". If you are thinking of showing it to students, you may need to explain to them how the conference was conducted and give them some background -- it has lots of dialogue and plenty of "under currents" that can be hard to follow if you are not familiar with the "power plays" that were going on at that table....lots of ego at that table. It is important to remember that many of these individuals were sent by the "major players" in the Nazi regime to attend the conference. By not attending the conference himself, Hitler and his administrative members could claim "plausable deniability" (so they thought) if anything were to go wrong with the plan. It is hard to believe that this beautiful house that is located on beautifully-decorated ground and of of a spectacular lake could have played such a major role in WWII. Chilling!

The Crayon Box that Talked
The Crayon Box that Talked
by Shane Derolf
Price: CDN$ 14.56
17 used & new from CDN$ 8.85

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites!, Oct. 28 2003
I frequently use books to teach lessons (in an indirect way) to students. My area of expertise is teaching students with disabilities.
For the individuals that I teach, it is important to make them think about issues -- rather than "telling" them what to think.
This books lends itself to some great discussions. Recently a friend of mine used it with members of the Student Council at our high school -- they LOVED it!!!
A must have...(along with Giraffes Can't Dance).
J. Michael Woods, M.Ed.