ARRAY(0xa470fc00)

Profile for Dewey Finn > Reviews

Content by Dewey Finn

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dewey Finn (School Of Rock)

Page: 1 | 2
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bilingual)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
Price: CDN$ 15.98
22 used & new from CDN$ 2.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Brainless crap, Oct. 19 2010
This movie is a prime example of how society is declining. People actually don't give a toss for acting, dialogue, or plot anymore. As long as there's plenty of eye candy on the screen. And yes there is a lot of eye candy in the second Transformers movie. Megan Fox (I think she's overrated personally), explosions, giant robots beating the tar out of each other just like some gigantic version of WWE, I see lots of eye candy here. However the story is just plain unbelievable and stupid, the dialogue is insipid and juvenile and the acting is pathetically bad. I just saw another eye candy movie called Avatar and while it wasn't even close to being a great movie, it sure was a lot better than this crap. At least it has a story and an allegory. This has nothing, part of the plot was in fact ripped off from an earlier movie called Alien Vs. Predator. (An even dumber movie at that.) The thing is that I used to like the Transformers cartoon when I was little but this movie doesn't even attempt to make Transformers anything more than a cartoon or a toy movie. All the characters are stereotypes, every single one of them, no kidding, go watch and see for yourself. Also I'd like to know why Bumblebee can't talk all of a sudden.

I guess to sum up, I want to know why people watch stuff like this AND consider it "good" or "great" or whatever the comments here say. Do people not know how to think critically anymore? Are we that brainwashed by TV that we actually want to just "turn our brains off" and watch images on a screen? Think about that for a second! Just give that thought one second of your time, please!

Power Grab: How Obama's Green Policies Will Steal Your Freedom and Bankrupt America
by Christopher C. Horner
Price: CDN$ 22.37
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Paranoid drivel, Oct. 19 2010
I was going to give this book five stars, and then I realized it's not a comedy.

I did read it, and I'm just kidding about the comedy part. However if you truly believe the assertions in the book, your doctor needs to up your meds because they're not working.

Good Luck Chuck (Uncut Widescreen Version)
Good Luck Chuck (Uncut Widescreen Version)
DVD ~ DVD
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 5.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good At All, Oct. 1 2010
I bought Good Luck Chuck cheap in a bargain bin somewhere. I thought it might be OK because Dane Cook's standup is funny (sometimes) and Jessica Alba is potentially good. Well I shouldn't have bothered. This was a one-watcher. Rent, don't buy.

The Listening
The Listening
Price: CDN$ 11.32
19 used & new from CDN$ 4.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising quality, Sept. 28 2010
This review is from: The Listening (Audio CD)
I didn't want to like this CD, honestly. I judged the books by its cover. I can't say that Lights (aka Valerie) has a super great voice, and that's what turned me off initially. She has this breathy little girl voice and I didn't take her seriously. I saw that "gui-board" and I thought, "You don't even remember the 80's, kid! Stop being so pretentious!"

However....

I kept hearing "Drive My Soul". Etherial. Atmospheric. Melodic. Catchy. Then I heard "Second Go". Even more melodic and catchy. Sure, a lot of this stuff is bubble gum pop at its core, but Lights infuses that with a spacey coolness. There is something of quality here, that probably comes from her own artistic vision. The girl creates her own artwork and videos and is clearly influenced by the sights and sounds of the golden age of science fiction.

I was even more impressed to discover that Lights is not just some synth-pop wonder, but that she also creates acoustic music. Fantastic! I hope while she continues to grow as an artist, she doesn't lose track of whatever makes her sound unique and different.

Loved: "Drive My Soul". Didn't love: "Ice"

Murder in Italy: Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher, and the Murder Trial that Shocked the World
by Candace Dempsey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing and interesting, Sept. 23 2010
I couldn't avoid hearing about this case as it was happening through the media. What I didn't know at the time was how badly the media spun this case against the accused, Amanda Knox and her boyfriend. This book attempts to undo the damage the media caused. Why the media chose to attack this girl is pretty easy to see, with her odd bohemian behaviour, smoking pot and singing aloud. Dempsey's book helps understand the girl and the circustances.

I've read the Massei motivational report and it left me with more questions than answers. It makes many assumptions and certain things just don't add up. The police and prosecution, according to this book, really messed things up at the start and by then it was too late to de-contaminate the evidence. Read the report and then read this book and decide for yourself.

I find it interesting that certain customers post their negative reviews of this book, customers who run an anti-Knox website called "True Justice" (hey, if you can't be unbiased, just call yourself unbiased -- it works for the "fair and balanced" Fox News). I don't know why those people feel the need to skew the reviews on Amazon, but it is yet another thing that casts doubt on the case against Knox.

Star Wars Ewok Adventures (Caravan of Courage / The Battle for Endor)
Star Wars Ewok Adventures (Caravan of Courage / The Battle for Endor)
DVD ~ Eric Walker
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 134.31
11 used & new from CDN$ 59.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, Sept. 8 2010
These low budget movies are not animated, they are live action. These are the two Ewok movies made for televion in the mid 80's. They are a bit better than the holiday special, but not much.

Persecution Of Sarah Palin, The
Persecution Of Sarah Palin, The
by Matthew Continetti
Price: CDN$ 26.00
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Sore Loser, Sept. 2 2010
Yeah, she was persecuted alright. This is a woman who doesn't even know who the leader of Iran is. Yeah, Katie Couric was so unfair with all those questions! Even Meghan McCain thinks she's a sore loser.

Media manipulation is one of the biggest problems in American politics (and Canadian too, don't think we're immune to the almight dollar). However, Continetti doesn't convincingly make his case here. Those with sharp memories will recall that both sides manipulated the news in the crucial months leading up to Election 2008. Palin wasn't persecuted. She was an easy target. It was like shooting ducks in a barrel. Continetti consistently ignores this fact. Because of this, you can't really assess any of his suppositions. Sure, I think he's right, the Big Bad Dems did indeed play dirty. But no dirtier than the GOP, in what amounted to one of the dirtiest elections in history. None were innocent, and certainly not Palin. She fought as dirty as anyone.

Palin sunk not because the media were out to get her as this book claims. Palin sunk because the majority of Americans were scared silly of what might happen if she were vice-pres.

Dirty Sexy Politics
Dirty Sexy Politics
by Meghan McCain
Price: CDN$ 17.00
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars (Hopefully) the future of the right, Sept. 1 2010
This review is from: Dirty Sexy Politics (Hardcover)
You may know her dad a bit better, but if you haven't read her "blogette" then you don't know the daughter. Meghan McCain is a heck of a smart girl. Displaying a bright, open mind, this was a joy to read. She's tactful when she needs to be, and you get the sense that when it comes to certain disasters (cough Palin cough) she could have said a lot more than she did.

But don't worry. She says plenty. If you want an inside look at the dirtiest election in recent memory, this is a great read. But it's also just a great read if you're sick and tired of the same old right-winged cliches. McCain proves that you don't have to be a teabagger to be on the right.

I felt that John McCain was a bit misunderstood. Not a great public speaker, with a muddy disorganized campaign and too much mudslinging, McCain the man got lost a bit. Now you can get to know him through his daughter's eyes.

Highly recommended!

That's No Angry Mob, That's My Mom: Team Obama's Assault on Tea-Party, Talk-Radio Americans
by Michael Graham
Price: CDN$ 21.47
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Paranoid Garbage, Sept. 1 2010
If anybody's attacking teabaggers, it's because they come across as a bunch of looney-toon whackjobs to a regular "Joe the Plumber" type guys like myself. It's not because of some deep conspiracy ("Team Obama").

Let's face it, politics is dirty. There are mudslingers on all sides. Count this book as among the worst of the mudslinging. This tripe isn't not going to clarify the mudification at all. Sorry. The far-right-wingers lost. So sad, too bad, how about hearing about the issues next time?

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, Aug. 17 2010
This is simply Wikipedia entries on these First Nations printed out. I found this by looking up "Brocket 99" on Amazon. I was looking for Brocket 99 compacts discs. I shouldn't have bothered. This is all available for free on the web.

Page: 1 | 2