Profile for Melissa > Reviews

Content by Melissa

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Melissa (Dallas Tx)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
When Harry Met Sally (Special Edition)
When Harry Met Sally (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Billy Crystal
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 6.96
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It Had to Be You, April 14 2002
This movie has been a favorite of mine back in highschool when I first saw the film either on HBO or Television. It also has personal meaning as well, not in the romantic way as some might have the film in their lives but just in a fun eventful personal way.
The movie is about the single life, dating, and the age old question "Can woman and men just be friends?" The movie stars my personal favorites Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal who are perfectly paired up together in this film. Meg plays Sally who's I guess the more positive, healthier (speaking from the film of course) of the two where as Billy is completely different he's deep and depressed. They meet each other on the trip to New York City where they want their lives to start after college. Then ironically keep meeting a couple years later...the final time they meet he's seperated and she and her boyfriend break up. The movie continues to go into the question, in a way its a hopeful movie for the romantics and other words it could give relationships like this a false impression as Nora Ephron explains in the Documentary of the Film. But nonetheless its a hopeful and very cute romantic comedy. It also stars the wonderful Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby. Who are great as Sally and Harry's best friends in the movie. Its fun romantic and witty. And great for both men and woman I believe. It'll be up to you to decide if woman and men can be just friends :)
The soundtrack is great. It's all performed by Harry Connic Jr. to give it the classic touch. With the hit tune "It Had to be You." And many more classic songs.
The DVD has tons of goodies. I'll ignore the fact that it doesn't have a full screen selection as well. But let's move on it's got a great behind the scene's documentary fully on how the idea was scripted, when people came on board such as Nora Ephron, Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal and so on. It goes through who had the idea for what, and how each of them relates to the characters they play. To even how the music was picked for the film and so on. They also have the movie trailer and trailers for other movies by Rob R. as well as the music video to "It Had to be You" With Harry Connic Jr., Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan. There's also commentary by Rob R., Billy Crystal, Carrie Fisher and cast and crew which I still have yet to view and go through but I can't wait. This will always be my first classic romantic comedy and how I came to adore Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. I'm sure both men and woman will love this movie :)

It
It
VHS
4 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Through the Eyes of Children - Great Movie!, March 19 2002
This review is from: It (VHS Tape)
This movie I believe was one of the first mini series I have seen by Stephen King. I watched from start to finish I was so interested in the kids in this film. Two who are played by popular actor's today Seth Green (Young Richie Tozer), and Jonathan Brandis (Young Bill Denbrough). The children band together and call themselves "The Looser's Club" they face being different from their classmates and they also face their parents. But what they must ultmiately face is the monster who kills children called "Pennywise the Clown." Together and only together as a team can they defeat the monster.
In the first half of the film we learn of the Clown (Played by the great Tim Curry) and the history with the town of Derry, Maine. We see the kids meeting for the first time and the fun they all have. But the serious times comes when they band together to stand up for themselves against a few of the classmates namly Henry Bowers who likes to torment the other kids in the school. They then come together to form a circle and defeat the clown/monster. With a promise that if it wasn't dead they would all come back to destroy it.
In the second part of the film we see whats happened to them career wise and love life wise. Its a tad slower, but it is definately funny and has its serious moments as well. The kids all grown up are now played by a great cast: Henry Anderson (Richie Tozer), Dennis Christopher (Eddie Kaspbrak), Richard Masur (Stan Uris), Annette O' Toole (Beverly Marsh), John Ritter (Ben Hascom), Tim Reid (Mike Hanlon), and Richard Thomas as (Bill Denbrough). Again the second part starts off slow. But its fun to see them all come together again. And to try and remember the good and bad times and defeat the "clown."
I was very much interested to see Stephen King use children to believe in this monster to where the adults couldn't. It's also interesting to see this sort of similarity in some of his other where the children are the key. Which I find really grand in a way. This movie did; however, really turn me off of clowns. So it does have its creep factor in the movie. I would definately recommend it! Athough the book does give more great detail and is better, and the book is different in most parts. But for a mini series this was my first love of Stephen King.

LT's Theory of Pets
LT's Theory of Pets
by Stephen King
Edition: Audio Cassette
10 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly Funny, March 19 2002
Okay I'll try to make this review long but its a short tape. I was very pleased with it. Stephen King shows off his funny witt in the start of the tape, and he tells the story very well as if someone in your family was sitting around telling it. The story is about a family a couple rather, who then end up getting pets. He tells the story of how pets can act like their owners. Its funny, and serious, and the ending did shock me. I liked this because it wasn't as long as his other book on tapes or his books rather. I listened to it in one night. Reason for the three stars is because I was expecting a bit more on the tape. I thought King had said on the second side there will be answers and questions and there wasn't. All in all it's funny, serious, and with a shocking ending. Or at least I thought so. So I would definately get this because its something different I think by King. But it will definately catch your interest in the start of the story :)

Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (Bilingual) [Import]
Moulin Rouge (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ Nicole Kidman
Offered by Deal Beat
Price: CDN$ 47.99
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea for a Fairy Tale, But a tad disappointing., March 6 2002
I guess the build up for me was really too much to expect after everyone saying I need to see this movie. Thinking of its length I had to wait till I was in the mood to see it. So I finally get in the mood and it's not that long at all it's about two hours on the dot. The Fairy Tale is about a woman who is the star of course at the Moulin Rouge (Played by the lovely and talented Nicole Kidman), and a man from sort of the different side of the tracks played by Ewan McGregor (Who's really enjoyable and likeable). It involves a story between these characters, the man gets mistaken for a Duke, but Satine falls in love with the writer. The creator Baz Luhrmann (I think) who did Romeo and Juliet, really did an amazing job of putting this together. The plot was weak I thought, it seemed to go by really fast for me, after trying to get into it, and understanding the story plot. The ending seemed to come up too quickly where I kept saying "That's it?" I was expecting more espically with a 2 disk DVD set. I think the problem is that this would have made a much better Broadway show seeing it live and in person. It seemed like this was one of the movies that got taken off a Broadway show and crumbled at the movies. However, this was a blockbuster hit, and I really can see why and this is why I rated it a 4 and not a 3. The costumes, and the music was just stunning. The dancing was also spectacular. The music was a lot of 80's hits it seemed like from Madonna to Elton John and a hint of Nirvana. Plus some of their own music tied in as well. Nicole I think missed her calling and would have made a wonderful singer as well as an actress...I think she would be fabulous for Broadway. The voice of Ewan McGregor was spectacular as well. I didn't even really see the chemistry though between the two actors till maybe the end where everything was very dramatic. Maybe it's one where I have to watch it over again to really understand it and have a feeling for it. But it really should be seen at least once.
The DVD is really good though. I would give that an A itself. It's cover is beautiful designed. The menu for the movie is really a thrill as well beautiful graphics that fit the feeling of the movie and a 3D menu. But just basically the basics with the first disk. On the second one is really where you get your money's worth. Two Lady Marmalade Music Video's one from the MTV Awards, and the other the chart topping hit. Behind the scene's, music and much more added to this DVD.
So basically I would give the movie a C+-B+ and the DVD an A.

Roswell (Original Television Soundtrack)
Roswell (Original Television Soundtrack)
Price: CDN$ 9.49
13 used & new from CDN$ 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing CD!!, March 2 2002
Wow, I wasn't too sure at first to buy this but I wanted to start collecting merchandise in case Roswell left for good, and since I'm a huge fan of the show. But when I listened to the CD I was amazed. It's very soft type music with a little edge to some of the songs. I could remember what episode the song played in like Sheryl Crow's "I Shall Believe," and Senses Fields "Save Yourself" (Which star Shiri Appleby makes a guest star appearance in the music video). And of course it has the beautiful tone of Dido with the hit theme song "Here With Me" sung in its full version. I not only instantly fell in love with the music but I fell in love with what it had on the CD itself.
It has Roswell Desktop Wallpapers (Which is now on my computer), Screensaver (Another that I easily installed to my computer), and an Exclusive Family Character Map and much more. Now the map was extremely impressive, it has the most updated information from the show!!
I never wanted to write a positive review so fast in my life. Even if you aren't a Roswell fan you will enjoy this CD. But if you are a Roswell fan you definately won't be disappointed in it, so definately add this to your collection!!

The Neverending Story (Widescreen and Fullscreen) (Bilingual)
The Neverending Story (Widescreen and Fullscreen) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Noah Hathaway
Offered by SURPLUSDVD NEW YORK
Price: CDN$ 34.31
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Fantastic Movie!!, Feb. 16 2002
I had loved this movie since I was a kid and I had to get it on DVD. This movie is spectacular! Above anything else it teaches children what a wonderful gift of reading can do for the imagination and how important reading is. The story takes us through an oridinary world of Bastian, who's having trouble in life with the recent death of his mother. And his father who wants him to put both feet on the ground and stop living in the clouds. However, when Bastian is being chased by bully's from school he finds a bookstore that has a rather thick but interesting cover. The bookstores owner warns him its not your typical book and that he couldn't have it. However, he steals it and then finds himself in the school's attick. He finds himself soon lost in an adventure of The Neverending Story. Which the book is about a land being destroyed by The Nothing. As Sabastian is being led on the adventure following another young boy in hopes to save Fantasia and it's people, named Atrial. When all along it's only Bastian who can save them.
This movie has everything you could possibly want in a fantisy. It's full of adventure, special effects, and all through a little boy that is using his adventure through a not so ordinary book. This show's how important again it is for kids to read, and to use their imaginations, and what books can do to take you on a realistic adventure. It's amazing and I call it a classic as well as millions of other fan's across the world.
The DVD is pretty good, the sound seemed a bit faded but its a pretty good DVD. Only thing is it doesn't give you the opition to have it full screen like some of them do. However, it's got Notes and Trivia on the book and characters, interactive menus, theatrical trailer, and language selections.
All in all a great buy you won't be sorry. I give the movie an A+ and the DVD a B!

My Life (Bilingual)
My Life (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Michael Keaton
Offered by Kay's Movies
Price: CDN$ 22.49
13 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Touching Movie, Feb. 16 2002
This review is from: My Life (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is a fantastic movie staring Michael Keaton in a role I have never seen him in before, and the beautiful and talented Nicole Kidman as his wife. The movie is spectacular and defiantely a tear jerker. The movie is about a man played by Michael Keaton who is dying of Cancer, the only thing about this is that his son is about to be born. He struggles to survive long enough to clean up the mess in his families life, and to see his son born.
I could really relate to Michael's character in this film, at least the struggles with his family. I have a family on my father's side that some what resembles his, to where they don't understand me, or hardly know me at all and I feel like him sometimes trying to make them understand or to clean up messes etc.
The movie is very touching how Michael's character Bob videotapes everything he wants to tell his future baby, that he won't have a chance to tell in person so he video tapes everything. He also struggles to deal with him self as well as his wife, and child and family.
If your a softy you'll definately probably have a good cry at the end but it's very touching to say the least. The movie stars: Michael Keaton, Nicole Kidman, Queen Latifa, and some other notable guest stars. It's funny, sweet, romantic, and sad. It's about life.
The DVD is okay not great but it's okay it does give you at least the presentation of having Full Screen or Widescreen, you can decide on the languages you wish, and the audio is very great! No flaws there at all. It also has theatrical trailers and some trailers to other movies, has talent files, and interactive menu's. All in all your typical DVD.

Practical Magic (Widescreen)
Practical Magic (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 33.57
17 used & new from CDN$ 1.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchantingly Fun!!, Feb. 16 2002
This review is from: Practical Magic (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is a very magical, romantic, and fun movie for almost the entire family! This has a sluth of stars such as: Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Aidan Quinn, and the spectacular Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest. The movie is about a family curse on a witch family. When someone long ago in the family had put a curse on herself to never fall in love again it turned into a curse, for any Owen woman who falls in love they are sure to be doomed when they hear the ticketing beattle. Sandra Bullock plays Sally Owens a witch who has seen her mother die of a broken heart and never wants to fall in love again, so she creats a man who's got qualities that wouldn't exsist. Her sister is played by the amazing Nicole Kidman who's a bit of a wild woman and wants to fall in love, however, falls in love with the wrong guy. The sisters get wrapped up in a bad seed of spells, and the elder aunts make them clean up their own messes. The film is fun, adventerious. And studying Wicca and Witchcraft they make it a point to explain how witches where wrongly cheated by others who believed they studied dark, and devil worship which isn't the case at all. They make good points in the movie about Witchcraft, and the horrid teasing they get from the townspeople. The movie is fun, very spooky, and the cast is brilliant. Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman have excellent chemistry together and I would love to see them do something together sometime soon. Not to mention the kids are very sweet and cute in this film and the aunts played by Stockard Channing and Diane Wiest are fantastic together this movie is great, its a bit slow but ultimately great storytelling, fantastic special effects, and wonderful acting!
The DVD is a great buy as well it has a great special 3D menu, with a great Jump to a Scene, Special Features, Special Languages, Reel Recs, and of course playing of the movie. The commentary I didn't find all to great it was a bit boring but interesting to say the least, it's done by Sandra Bullock who I believe co-produced the movie, director Griffin Dunne, and the amazing Alan Silvestri who has done a great job with the music of the film. The sound is a bit low but it's a great movie and great DVD!!

Ghostbusters 2 (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Ghostbusters 2 (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Bill Murray
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 17.50
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Sequal A Rather Disappointing DVD, Feb. 16 2002
The sequal finds the Ghostbusters in new job's, after saving New York City from the big and bad they had to go into hawk and pay for all the damages. So now they are left as a laughing stalk of the city. That is till a new big and bad is back. This time it's red slime with mood swings, and a cute little baby named Oscar. The big bad in the painting is an evil Lord so to speak of way back when. He takes control of a man who works in an art atmosphere, and he tries to take the baby Oscar from the mom of Sigourney Weaver who returns as Dana Barrett. As the case unfolds the Ghostbusters get back to busting ghosts :) And Dana rekindles the romance between her and Dr. Peter Venkman played again by Bill Murray. The whole movie was a bit more corney and a less spooky then the first but nevertheless funny and adventurous. The old movie theme is back, but with a less hype this time around. The ending was sweet and fun. It was really nice to see the original cast including the favorite Slimer make a comeback. That shows what fun they all had together making this movie :).
The thing about the DVD is that with the classic keepsake one it had a 3D menu, behind the scenes, commentary, and many more exciting goodies. If they come out later with a special DVD of Ghostbusters II as they did the first one I would buy it. So in general if that's what your looking for like the first one then just wait I'm sure it'll come out because this DVD just had the basic stuff, widescreen (No choice in Widescreen or full screen), just a simple cast list and a few other things. Not as fun as the original but if your using it to add to your movie collection then go ahead and buy it or just wait and see if they come out with one like they did with the first DVD set of the original Ghostbusters :)
But I would give the movie a B and the DVD C.

Alice in Wonderland (Full Screen)
Alice in Wonderland (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Kathryn Beaumont
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 39.17
15 used & new from CDN$ 9.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Curiouser and Curiouser, Feb. 16 2002
Disney's retelling of the classic story of Alice in Wonderland is pretty cute indeed. The animation of course is breathtaking as almost all of the Disney's films are. It's not a big musical, and it's not a grand movie as when it was released way back when. However, Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite all time stories by Lewis Carroll. Disney has done a spectacular job of creating the story and combining both Alice in Wonderland and Alice through the Looking Glass, and added their own little touches to the movie. Kathryn Beaumont does a fantastic job of creating the voice for Alice. And she is in one of the Disney's hall of famers now, she went on to do the voice of Wendy I believe in Disney's Peter Pan. The character's are very creative with The White Rabbit, The Mad Hatter and March Hare, The Snobby Flowers, The Caterpiller, The Cheshire Cat, and the Queen of Hearts who really seems to be fond of cutting off people's heads. It's witty and really fun for children of all ages. Though if your a fan like me of the classic story, you may sit there and nitpick the movie. But as I remember it's generally for kids, and they will love this movie. The only thing is now when I try to show the kids other films of Alice in Wonderland they always think of the Disney version :) But it's fun, witty, and a classic Disney hit.
The DVD is a bit disappointing though but does have some rather fun stuff such as: Alice in Wonderland Storybook, Alice in Wonderland Trivia Game, Operation Wonderland (This is actually a very nice feature includes tours through Walt Disney's offices and the creation of Alice in Wonderland, besides that a promotional fun of Alice in Wonderland staring Kathryn Beaumont). They also have an Unbirthday Song Sing-Along, All in the Golden Afternoon Sing-Along, and a Theatrical Trailer. After perchasing the Snow White Collectable DVD collection this is a bit disappointing DVD seeing as how much more attention was paid to Snow White all of Disney's versions should be like the extravagant Snow White DVD. But it's fun, has some really nice things, and the animation on the DVD is spetactualar. Kids and Adults will really enjoy this fun hit :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6