Profile for Patrick Lafontaine > Reviews

Content by Patrick Lafontaine

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Patrick Lafontaine "peppersquirt" (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Automatic
Automatic
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
14 used & new from CDN$ 4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Dec 24 2003
This review is from: Automatic (Audio CD)
Jesus & Mary Chain have 2 sets of fans, those who like the feedback drenched "Psychocandy". And the rest of us, who like everything after. "Automatic" is full of 50's - 60's guitar style rockers played in the JMC way. Perhaps, one little flaw is the drum machine. But you can't deny the sheer power of "Her way of praying", "Coast to Coast", "Blues from a gun" and the classic "Head on". Without all the feedback, the songs really come out! They made it a point to stray away from "Psychocandy"'s sound alltogether and sort of reinvented themselves, pissing off their early fans. (Like the reviewer before me). The band made that very clear with the title of their next great album "Honey's dead" in 1992. Get it?

Shabooh Shoobah
Shabooh Shoobah
10 used & new from CDN$ 1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Early masterpiece, Dec 24 2003
This review is from: Shabooh Shoobah (Audio CD)
This is not commercial INXS from the "Kick' days but this album got them on the map.. "The one thing", "Don't change" &
"black and white" are just 3 of the great songs on this cd. No bad songs here. Give this one a try, you should like it.

Raise the Pressure
Raise the Pressure
Price: CDN$ 25.97
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't the New Order fans eat this up?, Dec 24 2003
This review is from: Raise the Pressure (Audio CD)
I remember walking into the cd store and being surprised that Electronic released another cd back in '96. Was I glad I picked
this up! This is probably what New Order would have sounded like at this time (minus the Peter Hook bass sound). Solid throughtout. Great pop-rock somgs with more dancier numbers as well. 'Raise the pressure' went basically unnoticed here in North America.
There were 4 hits from this album in the U.K: "Forbidden city", "For you', "Second nature" and "Out of my league". It seems that North America no longer listens to this kind of music.. Too bad, they're missing out on some great stuff here.

In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003
In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003
Price: CDN$ 17.09
41 used & new from CDN$ 1.79

2.0 out of 5 stars For the younger casual fan and completists only., Dec 21 2003
Being a huge R.E.M. fan since 1985, I'm always intrigued at what Micheal and the boys have new to offer.. But this so-called "best of" from 1988 (the sad year they left the I.R.S. label to join the big boys at WEA) to 2003 is needless. Most R.E.M. fans enjoy listening to their regular albums because that's the best way to listen the them. "Automatic for the people" and "New adventures in hi-fi" are my favourites from this period. Most (but not all) of their most popular songs are here but true fans know their best songs are NOT the singles. A smarter approach would have been to release a b-sides compilation along the tracks that were not on regular albums like "the great beyond". But alas, we do not live in perfect world now, do we? Oh, and for those of you wondering why "Shinny happy people" is not included... Micheal Stipe has said in interviews he's pretty much embarrased about the tune. He must have had a say on what went on this compilation. And yes, there are some glaring omissions here as well. Most notibly "New-test leper", "World
leader pretend", "Drive", "Texarcana" and "Bittersweet me". The new songs are ok but don't hold up to the songs I just mentioned. May I suggest buying "Eponymous" for a great intro to the early (and best) period.

Out of Time
Out of Time
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 14.21
111 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok, What happened here?, Nov. 1 2003
This review is from: Out of Time (Audio CD)
First of all I'm a HUGE R.E.M. fan since early '85. This is REM at their weakest. I am still stunned at how people can call this a masterpiece. After the so-so "Green" album , I was highly anticipating this release back in '91. I had heard "Losing my religion" beforehand on the radio which I think is a good (but not great) song. So I thought there was some promise there. How wrong was I? The first track on this cd "Radio song" is downright scary!! I almost felt embarrased for the band. The rest of this cd wonders down the road of mediocrety at best. If you're wanting to taste the "True" R.E.M., I suggest trying "Life's Rich pageant" and "Document". Those are good starters. If you want the best R.E.M. album, (in most people's opinion including mine) try out "Murmur". Luckly, after this "Out of time" disappointment, "Automatic for the people" came out and restored my faith in R.E.M. once again. Don't get this!

Crisis? What Crisis?
Crisis? What Crisis?
Price: CDN$ 6.99
43 used & new from CDN$ 2.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The "underrated" album, Oct. 28 2003
This review is from: Crisis? What Crisis? (Audio CD)
This album is just as strong as the "BIG 3" (Crime of the century, Even the quietest moments & Breakfast in America). In fact, It's my favourite! How can you not be hooked in by "Easy does/Sister Moonshine?" The rest of the album flows very well. There may be no big hits but that dosen't mean there isn't great tunes througout this cd. How "Another man's woman" or "Lady" didn't become hits is beyond me! Just get it. You won't regret it.

Blow Your Cool!
Blow Your Cool!
Price: CDN$ 16.95
25 used & new from CDN$ 9.65

5.0 out of 5 stars What great momories...., Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: Blow Your Cool! (Audio CD)
Sadly, The Hoodoo's have split but that dosen't mean it's too late to enjoy one of the best albums from the 80's from my favorite Aussie band! The is power-pop glory and the Hoodoo's were one of the best at this style! C'mon, Try it! and then get the rest of their collection. :o)

12 Memories
12 Memories
Offered by bigmediadeals
Price: CDN$ 6.90
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't make it three in a row :o(, Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: 12 Memories (Audio CD)
After 2 classics: "The Man Who" & "The Invisible Band", Travis have hit a creative snag on this one.. Only two songs stand out for me: "Mid-life Krysis" and "Re-Offender". The rest isn't horrible, it's just so-so.. Let's us hope the next one will be better.

Corporate America
Corporate America
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 82.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 77.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not that bad..., Oct. 19 2003
This review is from: Corporate America (Audio CD)
OK. I've read about 100 reviews for this album. Looks like many people are disappointed. Well, first things first, If you're looking for something like the first album, forget it. This is 2003, not 1976. Those fans will be disappointed, for sure. Tom does not make music for his fans, Tom makes music for Tom. He's a perfectionist (hence, the 8 years between releases). The most important thing for me was to listen this cd WITHOUT any expectations. He's "branching out" and "experimenting". Oh no! heaven for bid! If U2 can do it (think Zooropa), so can Tom. For those people who have open minds and can accept change, this album is a grower.. At first, I didn't know what to think. But after a few listens, the album as a whole has a good flow and is very listeninable. There are many more acoustic songs, it's also much mellower then the previous 4 and even contains one song with a country flavour (but it's not a country song!!) with a female vocalist and it's a pretty good tune. Now that being said, there are some flaws with "Corporate America". The drumming.. I don't mind the programming but it would be nice to have a real drummer on all the tracks. Those tracks that have real drums sound the fullest. The mixing has also some weak spots as well. Sometimes there not enough guitars when there should be and vice-versa. On the whole, it's new step for Boston, and a good (but not perfect) step at that. But you must have an open mind...

The Christians
The Christians
Price: CDN$ 23.88
23 used & new from CDN$ 4.84

5.0 out of 5 stars What a debut!, Oct. 5 2003
This review is from: The Christians (Audio CD)
I heard The Christians during my first visit to London, England and I immediatatly hooked. What a sweet mix of soul & pop! It's very unfortunate they did not make it big over here. They did have two minor hits with: "Words" and "the bottle". Singer Henry Priestman's voice and the sweet melodies of brothers Russell and Gary Christian should have you hooked from the very first listen. This album have 4 Uk hits and there's not a bad (or average song for that matter!) song throughout this fantastic cd. Give it a shot.

Page: 1 | 2