Profile for Customer > Reviews

Content by Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Customer

The Bishop's Wife
The Bishop's Wife
DVD ~ Cary Grant
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 13.47
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.87

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Great Christmas Classics, Oct. 3 2007
This review is from: The Bishop's Wife (DVD)
What can I say about "The Bishop's Wife" except, I love it. It is a heartwarming and funny film which is perfect for the holiday season and even for those times throughout the year when you need a little shot of humanity.

I have shown this film to many friends who also agree that it is a Christmas classic that can be enjoyed every year. It is one of my family's favourites. Give it a try.

Sophie's Choice
Sophie's Choice
DVD ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by DealsAreUs
Price: CDN$ 9.69
11 used & new from CDN$ 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars If anyone wants to know why Meryl Streep is one of the finest actresses of our age - show them this film, Oct. 3 2007
This review is from: Sophie's Choice (DVD)
This is a truly sad movie, but consider the subject matter. How could you make a happy movie dealing with the Holocaust?

All the actors in this film offer haunting performances, but Meryl Streep is the stand out. She becomes Sophie! She is luminous, humorous, heartbreaking, thoroughly convincing in her role. If Meryl Streep had not won the Oscar for her performance, it would have been a terrible travesty.

It is a deep film - difficult to watch at some points, but worth the ride.

Feast of July
Feast of July
DVD ~ Embeth Davidtz
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 66.93
7 used & new from CDN$ 37.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but sad, Oct. 3 2007
This review is from: Feast of July (DVD)
I took a chance on this film because I love period pieces, and I am glad I did. It is a tragic tale, reminiscent of Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Beautifully filmed and beautifully acted. The score's main theme is lovely. The first time I heard it, when Con is following Bella, it made me cry.

I was not expecting the film to be so sad, but despite the copious tears shed for the plight of the main characters, I would still gladly watch this film repeatedly because of its quality. Besides, many period pieces do not end happily (Jane Austen adaptations excepted).

I recommend this film. Just don't expect happy.

Passport to Europe France and
Passport to Europe France and
Price: CDN$ 17.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 11.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Great scenery, terrible host., July 18 2007
I took a chance on this DVD because I love travel DVDs. Unfortunately the host, Samantha Brown, is very annoying. She is too perky and tries to be entertaining and "funny" (I put that word in quotations because she is anything but). The second time I watched it, I watched with the sound off so I wouldn't have to listen to her, that is how much she bugs me. The woman has been to Paris 3 or 4 times and she still can't count to 5 in french?? Come on lady. You are in the travel hosting business. Learn a little french for crying out loud.

If you like perky, then maybe she is the host for you, but I recommend purchasing anything by Rudy Maxa. Now there is a wonderful guide!