Profile for RicR2 > Reviews

Content by RicR2

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

RicR2 (McLean, VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
New Millenium Soul Party
New Millenium Soul Party
6 used & new from CDN$ 7.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Named "Millennium 60's Rock", March 15 2004
All of this CDs songs got extensive airplay in the 1960s on not only Soul but also Rock stations. And I agree with prior Reviewers that the songs themselves are excellent.

Hot Rocks: 1964-1971
Hot Rocks: 1964-1971
Price: CDN$ 26.22
24 used & new from CDN$ 19.87

5.0 out of 5 stars It's on TWO CDs, not just one, Nov. 19 2003
This review is from: Hot Rocks: 1964-1971 (Audio CD)
First, I agree with the prior reviewers about the content.
I already own this compilation as a two-CD set, and ordered this version solely because I thought all songs were on one CD: They're not; they're still on two CDs.

Pure Funk
Pure Funk
Price: CDN$ 15.12
29 used & new from CDN$ 3.30

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Popular CD at the Office Party., July 31 2003
This review is from: Pure Funk (Audio CD)
For a Christmas Office Party, I emailed my colleagues a list (Excel Spreadsheet) of song names (not CD Titles) from over 100 CDs. The CD with the most songs chosen was "Pure Funk."

V2 Hard To Find Pop Instrument
V2 Hard To Find Pop Instrument
Price: CDN$ 19.32
17 used & new from CDN$ 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars For Water Aerobics, THE MOST POPULAR CD!, July 3 2003
This CD Series (Hard-to-Find Pop Instrumentals I, and II) is THE MOST POPULAR at water aerobics classes (whose typical member is over age 50), and has been for a several weeks. It is even more popular than both "Abba Gold" and the "Hooked on Classics" series.
I've lent this CD Series to so many water aerobic instructors (four different ones), for so many days, that I've actually purchased second copies, something I've done with no other CD.
So, why this popularity? Possibly because: (1) The music is positive/upbeat, (2) the variety, and (3) the excellent sound quality. If you know why the popularity, please tell me.

Hard-To-Find Pop Instrumentals

The Ultimate Rock & Roll Collection: The 50's
The Ultimate Rock & Roll Collection: The 50's
Price: CDN$ 14.97
12 used & new from CDN$ 12.84

5.0 out of 5 stars The best single CD of 50s Rock. Well worth the price., May 11 2003
The best single CD of 50s Rock, and 25 songs too! Well worth the price.
All songs are original hits by original artists.
Of 55 CDs of 1950s songs that I own, this is easily the best.

Women's Lib
Women's Lib
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 28.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Can a Title Make an Album? Perhaps So., May 11 2003
This review is from: Women's Lib (Audio CD)
All these are remakes, some of the singers voices have changed more than the others, and some of the special sound effects of the hit versions are missing. Nevertheless, this has been popular at water aerobics (most participants are AARPers) for the last several sessions. Perhaps its popularity is due to both the album's catchy title (Women's Lib) and the songs selected.

Gold: Greatest Hits
Gold: Greatest Hits
Offered by BonnieScotland
Price: CDN$ 11.80
32 used & new from CDN$ 1.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A Suprise Hit with the Water Aerobics Crowd, March 3 2003
This review is from: Gold: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I provide music to water aerobics classes, and usually the participants debate whether to play 50's CDs (by Various Artists) or Big Band, so the popularity of "Abba Gold -- Greatest Hits" took me by COMPLETE SURPRISE. I only played it because a younger (read: Under age 50) participant requested it.
What really astonished me was that an 80-year-old (whom I have known for 20 years) who (1) when asked what music style she wants will reply, "Classical," (2) Gets excited by WW II songs, and (3) can't stand "Billboard's Greatest Soul Hits of 1961," told me she liked "Abba Gold!"
One participant (who graduated college in 1960) mistook "Abba Gold" for the the soundtrack of "Mama Mia," which she liked. From her comment I deduce two things: She likes Abba songs (for water aerobics) even though she doesn't know them, and perhaps part of the appeal of this album is the Musical.

High and Mighty: Suvs-The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way
by Keith Bradsher
25 used & new from CDN$ 2.89

3.0 out of 5 stars 4WD cars also exist, Nov. 3 2002
The reviews here assume that car = 2WD and sedan = 4WD. However, of the five cars my family owns, 4 are 4WD (AWD).

Public Enemies: The Host of America's Most Wanted Targets the Nation's Most Notorious Criminals
by John Walsh
Price: CDN$ 37.95
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.30

3.0 out of 5 stars In-depth reporting of news items, Aug. 24 2001
I bought this book while on vacation. I don't watch John Walsh's TV show, America's Most Wanted; in fact, I probably haven't ever seen an entire episode all the way through. I had heard something about all the criminals discussed. The big appeal of this book is the beginning-to-end coverage of crimes that I knew previously only through a series of sound bites. Like Time Magazine, it expresses opinions rather than remaining neutral on its subjects, and, like Time, mixes together subjective and objective statements to create a blend this is most informative. The biggest surprise, and a plus for the book, is the insights John Walsh gives of us of how both he and other relatives of crime victims react to the crimes, both immediately and in the long term.

Page: 1 | 2