Profile for Alexander E. Paulsen > Reviews

Content by Alexander E. P...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Alexander E. Paulsen "AlexP" (Jacksonville, Fl United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
sed & awk
sed & awk
by Dale Dougherty
Price: CDN$ 26.30
31 used & new from CDN$ 3.05

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 cute little guys that will work hard for you, July 1 2004
This review is from: sed & awk (Paperback)
I've had this book for 3-4 years now and find it to be mu handiest refernce. I even use ot more than my vi book.
The raw power of sed and awk will humble even the proudest VB programmer and this book will help you get the most out of both the "Aho, Weinberg and Kernigan" and the "stream editor".
The first chapter section is entitled "May You Solve Interesting Problems" a paraphrase of the old Chinese curse, but with sed and awk no problem seems insurmountable and wil make all problems appear interesting.
This book is an outstanding reference and will get you up and running with both of these handy little programs in no time.
Just to give you an example - the first time I ever used these programs (sed and awk) I developed a cron script to query a database every day at midnight, sort the results, grabbed lines with tagged values within certain limits, added a few totals, did some averaging, "starred" the lines that departed from certain parameters, then formatted the results into a report with a header showing the dates, times and query results, statistics then packed them into a report file and e-mailed them to a dozen recipients and added a few recipients if the data was outside certain values.
I did this remarkable feat by copying a few examples from the book, changing a thing or two and in the end had a little shell script that was a few K-bytes at the most.
This VB guy from corporate worked on a VB version of the same function and ended up with six revisions, several megs in the executable and never was able to get it formatted right. Not to say that it couldn't be done but..... I wrote mine before lunch one day. He worked on his for weeks and weeks.
Such is the power contained within should you want to tap it Grasshopper.
Great book. Amaze your friends and colleagues. Have the office women ( or men) throw flowers at your feet as you enter every day - well maybe not, but this will make you more productive.
You real nerds will hardly get finished with a single box of Pop Tarts before you are writing really cool scripts when using this book.
Like all O'Reilly books this one is terse, practical and highly usable - just like UNIX.

by Arnold Robbins
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.27

5.0 out of 5 stars vi is addicting - impress your friends, July 1 2004
This review is from: Learning the vi Editor (Paperback)
When you see someone that knows what they are doing writing with vi you will be amazed. Get a taste of it yourself and you will be hooked.
vi is powerful beyond belief and honestly I had been using it for years before I got this wonderful book from O'Reilly. The power of vi is revealing in this easy to use and well structured reference and learning aid.
Impress your friends with some of the little known and used features and functions. The authio Linda Lamb certainly knows her way around the editor so pay careful attention to the examples she uses to illustrate functions. Many of these can be used almost as-is in your daily work.
I suppose with all the latest WYSWYG word processors vi seems a little dated, but using vi I can create, edit, copy and manipulate documents in a fraction of the time others can by clicking and drilling in a windowed application.
I love vi. It's the raw power thats addicting. Yeah sometimes you can really screw the pooch with a typo but generally vi is fairly forgiving. I should know, my typing stinks but vi is generally kind to me when I mess up.
I rated this book highly in spite of I would have liked a few more examples, but the examples Lamb included are very representative of what you as a user may need and actually use.
This is a typical O'Reilly book - excellent and a worthy addition to any serious compter professionals library.
Hey I just heard that vi is available even to Windows lamers.
Try it folks, give your mouse finger a badly needed rest. Going to vi is like getting out of Chevy Impala into an Indy car. The Chevy may have better seats and A/C, but when you touch that gas pedal you'll be hooked.

by Arnold Robbins
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.27

5.0 out of 5 stars vi is addicting - impress your friends, July 1 2004
This review is from: Learning the vi Editor (Paperback)
Hey I just heard that vi is available even to Windows lamers.
Try it guys. Going to vi is like getting out of Chevy Impala into an Indy car. The Chevy may have better seats and A/C, but when you touch that gas pedal you'll be hooked.

UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
by Daniel Gilly
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Get started quickly, July 1 2004
This is a great reference for beginners. It is billed as a reference for System V and Solaris 2.0 but applies well to most versions of UNIX, even Linux.
It is more of a command and function reference than a tutorial, in fact it is NOT a tutorial but with a little practice on a UNIX system you will find this book invaluable. I have O'Reilly books specific to vi, sed and awk, but this one is the main reference I use for looking up command structure.
Its the most comprehensive and usable UNIX references I have seen and compares well to the big books that cost a lot more and could prop the wheels on a DC-3.
This book in easily carried in an brief case for quick deployment. You can look up things quickly even when folks pop out of the room for a moment, you can look up something and be working away with your newfound information whenthey return and everyone will think you knew it all along. hahaha
Great book, highly recommended. I even use it for AIX although mostly for vi, se and awk.

White Death
White Death
by Clive Cussler
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.92
101 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Confirmed, July 1 2004
I have been reading Dirk Pitt novels since the beginning. I even relate myself a little with Pitt having had a not dissimilar background and interestes, not to mention green eyes. In short I have been a loyal Cussler reader for as many years as Clive has been writing.
That being said......
I theorized in an earlier review that Cussler has developed an ingenious computer program to write his novels for him. I think there is a database of descriptive metaphors, names and evil plots with another database of georgraphy and history.
This program randonly selects items from the database and inserts them into a pre-written structure that follows the "NUMA" formula.
Let the CPU's churn for a few trillion cycles and Bammo a new book all ready for the publisher.
After reading White Death I am more convinced them ever that I am right on the mark.
This book is exactly like I described. A pat formula, change a few names, reuse some metaphors, grab a few odd historical details sprinkle in soem geographical descriptions and you have a novel that is basically like every other that Clive and Paul have co-written ( or co-programmed ).
I could not get enthusiastic about this book since through the whole thing I felt that I had read it before. You know what I mean, you read a book then years later forgot you read it, re-read it and through the whole thing you say to yourself that I have seen this before. I know what will happen next.
Well thats White Death. I've read it before and knew what would happen in each page.
I have no problem with a formula especially a good one like Dirk and Al and the Admiral and Rudi and Loren. This is a bit abusive and way too repetitive of his other novels.
The good thing is that you can save a lot of money. Buy this book and read it. Put it up, then when the next one comes out just re-read this one. It saves the price of the next novel.
I think Clive and Paul need to dump the database and get some new descriptions and ideas. After all how many evil corporations can there be inthe world all run by meglomaniacs wanting to <fill in the blanks> __________ and __________, then _________ so Dirk/Kurt will ________ and well you get the idea.

The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War
by Thomas DiLorenzo
Price: CDN$ 12.31
33 used & new from CDN$ 8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this book originally a year ago, June 29 2004
I read this the first time over a year ago and recently re-read it. It really takes more than a single reading to fully absorb the information.
In the meanwhile I have been browsing the reviews and they seem to be divided into two camps: the first camp read the book, checked the references and kept an open mind. These people seem to rate the book highly.
The next group who have obviously not read the book and criticize DiLorenzo for everything up to and including halitosis and rate the book low.
So far I have been unable to find single negative "review" from anyone who seems to have read the book. So far I have not seen any obvious sign that any of the single star reviers have cracked the cover. If the negative reviewers here would kindly list a single example of flawed research or falsified evidence I would be happy to check it out.
Don't you get it? You negative folks are just making yourselves look stupid for reviewing a book you have obviously never seen much less read.
Yeah, this book deconstructs St. Abraham. Yes this is NOT what you have learned in your government schools. Yes, this is a ugly history. Real history frequently is ugly.
I just read "Brainwashed" and its funny that the reviews of this book support Shapiros conention that schools brainwash students and suppress debate on most subjects and that instead of real debate, authorities resort to personal attacks against the messenger.
They never question or debate the facts. Not once in a a single negative review have I seen even one "reviewer" document a single error of fact in DiLorenzo's work.
No one has taken a single example from the book that is demonstrably in error or even questionable. Not one.
This is a very good book. It is an uncomfortable book. Like most of us I was taught of Lincoln's "greatness". It was not easy to question 40 years of schooling and yes - brainwashing.
This is an important work and anyone lambasting it without reading it is merely wallowing in their own ignorance. They are afraid of the facts evidenced that no one had yet questioned any.
To you negative reviewers; before writing think. Ask yourself: "Have I read this book and have factual objections?", or "I have read this book and am not convinced because...."
Not - "arrggh, an Anti-St Abraham book. Hey, Captain Kirk admired Lincoln so must I. My 3rd grade teached told me Lincoln was our greatest president. Oh my we can't have this questioning of St. Abraham. Never mind that I've not read the book, never mind that I have no clue what I am talking about. Never mind that I am making myself look like an idiot in front of millions of Amazon surfers....
Try it you might like it.

by Ben Shapiro
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I did read the book, June 11 2004
This review is from: Brainwashed (Hardcover)
I think there is an epidemic of "reviews" by reviewers who have not read the book they are reviewing. Shapiro does recite a lot of examples that are impossible to explain by the reviewers who still have no idea what this book contains.
I have been to several colleges like the several others here. While my initial crticism of Shapiro is his limited sampling of colleges, at least they are representative of his own experiences.
There are plenty who le disagree with the author and I commend the "single star" reviewers who took the time to debate the book. It is certainly more then you will every see in one of todays universities. Debate is prohibited or at least tightly controlled. I have seen debate points scripted by the professor and vetted by the administration. I have also seen people "assigned: debating points based on "what we expect you to think".
I do have to laugh and wonder how a person that contends that -
"they question every belief, every preconceived notion. To openly confront you with a situation you'd never before been face-to-face ..."
- can explain campus "speech codes".
How does one reconcile -
" argue with your conservative beliefs and try to sway you to theirs, it's to help you either better defend and know your position ..."
- with the censorship of The Daily Barometer at the University of Oregon and the firing of the columnist David Willimans who dared to "question preconcieved notions."
The most interesting thing I have noticed here is the the negative reviewers have not in a single instance attempted to refute or explain a single example cited by Shapiro.
I wonder why?

by Ben Shapiro
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, interesting, June 9 2004
This review is from: Brainwashed (Hardcover)
I have been trolling the negative reviews, they often tell you more about a book than the positive ones. This book seems to have struck a few nerves here.
I saw one that referred to this book as "Paranoid Right-Wing Perspective of Education" going on to say: "There is no tolerance among right-wing extremists for anyone to get a different viewpoint".
Actually the truth is the exact opposite. It is the leftist colleges who do not tolerate any other viewpoints. While preaching "tolerance" and "diversity" they suppress any debate that challenges the established leftist positions.
Debate is where you refine your arguments and I have often learned as much from my debating opponents as from my partners, maybe more. In todays schools debate is all but prohibited - well no, actually is prohibited. When you confront the establishment view or the politically correct view you are immediatelt labeled a "racist", or "mean spirited", perhaps you are a mysoginistic dinosaur or an evil oppressor who worships "dead white males".
No debate, no discussion especially if you confront the PC crowd with inconsistencies in their arguments. They refuse to defend themselves or their positions. They will just scream invictives and shout you down.
It's pathetic really and embarassing.
Shapiro has done a wonderful job exposing the truth in todays colleges. Bravo Ben - also very brave.

Dora the Explorer:Pirate Adv [Import]
Dora the Explorer:Pirate Adv [Import]
DVD ~ Fatima Ptacek
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 6.82
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, June 7 2004
The Dora series are really run and imaginative. I have a 2 year old granddaughter who can't get enough of Dora.
I find them to be very educational and Caitlin picks up words and phrases constantly as well as learns the names of animals and other objects.
It's a terrific thrill to hear her yell "I did it" after she accomplishes soemthing new and special.
I think she's gotten more out of Dora videos than Bay Einstein - and they are a lot less annoying to the adults.

A Little Light Music
A Little Light Music
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 23.78
11 used & new from CDN$ 9.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, June 7 2004
This review is from: A Little Light Music (Audio CD)
I normally don't care for live albums however this is close to my favorite collection of songs live or not.
First of all the music is a eclectic collection of Tull from over the years. WOnderful pieces such as "One White Duck", "Too Old for Rock and Roll..." and "Life is a Long song" all done while Tull was on an Eastern Eurpoean tour.
I've had this for about 3 years now and has elevayed up to my top ten most played albums.
The first time I heard it I was amazed that it was a live album and thought to myself "the mixer was some kind of genius" it had none of the hollowness of most live albums and the range and tonal balance is just about perfect. Then I looked and my initial observation was confirmed - it was mixed by a genius: Ian Anderson.
Highly recommended even for casual Tull fans. Esstential for the long time Tull lover ( like me)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8