Profile for Sylvie Lacroix > Reviews

Content by Sylvie Lacroix

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Sylvie Lacroix "Sly" (Northern Ontario, CANADA)

Twilight Saga: New Moon / La saga Twilight: Tentation  (2-Disc Special Edition) (Bilingual)
Twilight Saga: New Moon / La saga Twilight: Tentation (2-Disc Special Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Kristen Stewart
Price: CDN$ 9.99
47 used & new from CDN$ 1.62

3.0 out of 5 stars "New Moon" Review..., Feb. 25 2010
I find myself very amused with Amazon.ca Product Description by Ellen A. Kim and the Review by Tracie Cooper, All Movie Guide. Both are very just descriptions of the movie. I am sure that most 'tween and 'teen Twihard (try saying that three times fast!) girls probably won't agree.

Let me start by saying, I read all the books. Liked the first one, loved the second and third, HATED the fourth. I took 5 days to read the first three and FOUR MONTHS to read the last book. Meyer took the vampire genre and took a dump all over it...But that is for another time. Movie review time (at least you now know where I stand).

I liked the first "Twilight" film. I admit it. Hardwicke's vision was great. The characters seem to be slowly coming into their roles. I was hoping that in "New Moon", they would fully be comfortable in their character's skins. Some did, some didn't.

Stewart is a pretty girl. But if she bit her lip any more than she did, I was sure it would fall off. She is far too, (oh, what's a good word?), uh, emotionless? I know that your vampire loving stalking off to Europe to brood over your impossible love is very heartbreaking. But, really, a little smile once and a while won't break your face. Even better if you could not mumble all the time. Speak up, sweetie.

Pattison. Really good looking. Plays Edward like an Emo Teenager (don't get me wrong, I love emo music) and I find the character (not the actor) really hard to fall for. The whole "I-love-you-but-I-will-crush-your-little-heart-and-completely-and-utterly-destroy-you-because-we-can-NEVER-be-together-because-I-am-a-vampire-and-you-are-mortal-OH-WOE!" (runs off like an emo b----, uh, getting off track) is getting pretty tiresome. Pattison is a great actor. I hope people will not base their entire opinion on him because of this role. There's more to him than just Edward.

Jacob! Our little boy who grew and grew to become an testosterone driven werewolf! Lautner worked damn hard to keep his role. DAMN hard. And it paid off. The character loves Bella, Jeebus knows why. But he f-ing loves her. His scenes were my favourite. I didn't even flinch when all the Twihard girls burst into fits of giggles and cheers and fainting spells when he hit the screen. Shirtless. I found myself smiling. The movie was no longer boring once that King Jacob arrived in Movieland. (I guess you can say I'm on Team Jacob...) Lautner is really coming into his own. Jacob is his. He is Jacob. 'nuff said.

The plot...Vampire parts were really boring. Werewolf parts were really cool. Volturi? Not enough. I know there is more to happen in the next two (possibly three) films but, a bit more would have been awesome. The Cullen scenes were boring. Too much Edward in a movie that is based off a book that had very little Edward. The whole point is that the viewer is suppose to miss him as much as Bella does. I didn't get a chance to miss him. The book was better in this aspect.

I know that Jacob spent lots of time sans shirt. Is anyone complaining? I'm not. The werewolves were nice to look at. (I know Lautner is underage, shut up)

Overall, Hardwicke's movie was darker and fit the mood of the first movie really well and Weitz did well with what he had to work with. Visually, the effects are pretty cool. The acting is a bit better. But implanting more Edward time? Not too great.

I am sure that Twihards will buy this no matter what. Older crowds looking for a real vampire movie can skip this one. You wanna see werewolves and a teenage supernatural love triangle? Rent this one before buying.

I've seen it. And I think that it could have been better. *shrug* I might buy it just to have it sit next to Twilight but, meh. Not a high priority.

Let's see what they do with Eclipse.

Carnivale: The Complete Series (Seasons 1-2) (Bilingual)
Carnivale: The Complete Series (Seasons 1-2) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Michael J. Anderson
3 used & new from CDN$ 65.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Carnivale!, April 15 2009
This is an amazing TV series. I was really captivated by it when it aired on The Movie Network. Every week, I just kept looking forward to more.

When I saw that it was on sale here at amazon for an amazing price of both for under $50.00, I had to jump on it! (Now, I am sure that it went up as that was a one day sale that I was fortunate to spot but, still! These use to be $100! EACH!!)

For those who like a little Heaven and Hell and some mind blowing storylines, with every twist and turn imaginable, check this series out!

My only grief is that there is no season 3. But a girl can still hope...

Passchendaele (Bilingual)
Passchendaele (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Paul Gross
Price: CDN$ 6.99
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See For Every Canadian!!, Feb. 24 2009
This review is from: Passchendaele (Bilingual) (DVD)
I saw this movie at my local theater on Remembrance Day 2008 and loved it. I am not one for love stories and, being a self-proclaimed history buff, I was going to see it out of curiosity.

I love Paul Gross. He is an amazing representative of Canada. He writes, directs and stars in projects that promote Canada. He is a national treasure.

Now, on with the review. The first review on this site about the film was not favorable as the reviewer was looking for something more historically accurate. This is not a documentary. It is Mr.Gross' attempt at getting the Canadian movie goer interested in the battle of Passchendaele. Write a movie with a love story, insert battle scenes that will have us squirming in our seats and then insert some Canadian pride and BAM! People are looking into what was the battle, who fought, what happened, etc. Many of my friends, who abhor History, were looking on Wikipedia and Googling info on Passchendaele. Mr.Gross never said that this was going to be a documentary. He was telling a story. And did he ever!

The movie had some comedy, some romance, lots of action and amazing scenery. The costumes and dialogue really fit. All the characters in the film seemed very real. All the stories meshed together in the end as a whole. There was no plot point left unfinished. The battles were brutal, the explosions and wounds made me ache. I am not ashamed to say that I cried at the end of this movie not because of the love story but because of the thought of all the men who fought and died on the battle field during this battle, WWI and WWII. And to think that Canadian Men and Women are out in Afghanistan fighting and dying...

Films like this are made to commemorate their sacrifices.

Every Canadian should see this film. Support your Canadian Film Industry and tell them that projects like this that tell OUR story, OUR History, deserve to be told. OUR History as a people needs to be up on that big screen just as much as the next U.S. war movie. Canadians have many stories to tell, not just war stories or hockey stories. Not just French and English. Our wonderful country deserves to tell its various stories on film! Canada has cultural diversity. Let's get those stories out there!

I bought this movie and watched it on Flag Day (Feb.15/09) with my friends along with other Canadian films and had a Flag Day Film Fest. I know I will be watching this again on Remembrance Day (Nov.11), Canada Day (July 1st) and Flag Day (Feb.15) for years to come!

To our American neighbors, see this film if you are curious about Canada's role in WWI. It might surprise you.

Buy it. Rent it. Borrow it from a friend. Whatever. Just SEE IT!

Yentl (Collector's Edition)
Yentl (Collector's Edition)
2 used & new from CDN$ 32.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one of Streisand's best!!, Feb. 16 2009
This review is from: Yentl (Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Fans of this movie have been waiting for YEARS for "YENTL" to be available on DVD. Even Bab's herself talks about in the opening blurb of the film. I just could not wait for this to be in my hot little hands.

This movie is filled with amazing songs and amazing performances. Barbara Streisand & Mandy Patinkin's performances are unforgettable. Even though Yentl is the only one who sings during this film, the acting of all participants are unforgettable!

Buy this! You will not regret it at all!!!

The Lily And The Rose (Yaoi)
The Lily And The Rose (Yaoi)
by Dany&dany
Price: CDN$ 10.94
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, Sept. 30 2008
This was a very surprising read!

The cover caught my attention at a local comic store and it was shrink-wrapped so I couldn't peek inside. Being a fan of shonen-ai & yaoi I thought about it and picked it up! It is now making the rounds of all my yaoi/shonen-ai loving friends!

The story is about two childhood friends meeting up after a few years apart. One became a priest and the other a rogue. They meet and passions flare!

Very interesting plot and very engaging. I was quite surprised! With it being shrink-wrapped and all, I thought maybe it would be very graphic. But it is mild and just suggestive enough!

Dany&Dany have drawn up some great eye candy. And, even though I hear that many of their characters look the same, I would still be willing to read more titles from these two ladies!

Fun book!

In Love.. (Amended)
In Love.. (Amended)
Price: CDN$ 17.35
26 used & new from CDN$ 4.74

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK album but..., Oct. 23 2007
This review is from: In Love.. (Amended) (Audio CD)
This was an OK album. I bought when it was first released and listened to it off and on for a few months. Then I completely lost interest. The album just seemed not strong enough to be their "Breakout" album, the one to get them over the top and into the mainstream.

When they re-released it with "Under Pressure" (featuring the awesome band My Chemical Romance), as a fan of MCR, I was pissed. They had no right to release it on their album. I am sure it was just a ploy to beef up OK album sales but was it worth the rift with MCR? (If you carefully listen to the lyrics of MCR's "Dissenchanted" off their "The Black Parade" album, you can make out their dig at The Used)

One only hopes that their latest album will be better than this one. I won't buy it.

Give me MCR, Green Day, Queen and Tokio Hotel anytime.