march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Under Ether > Reviews

Content by Under Ether
Top Reviewer Ranking: 962

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Under Ether
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ayurveda: Ayurvedic Healing For Natural Health, Self Love, And Peace Of Mind (Ayurvedic Medicine, Alternative Medicine, Naturopathy, Ayurveda Diet, Holistic ... Natural Medicine, Chronic Illness)
Price: CDN$ 2.99

VitaClay VS7600-2C 2-in-1 Yogurt Maker and Personal Slow Cooker in Clay, Stainless Steel
Offered by Juicers4life
Price: CDN$ 59.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 15 2016
Works great. I've been really happy with the product so far.

Uni-posca Paint Marker Pen - Extra Fine Point - Set of 12 (PC-1M12C)
Uni-posca Paint Marker Pen - Extra Fine Point - Set of 12 (PC-1M12C)
Offered by Santa Trading Japan
Price: CDN$ 21.42
124 used & new from CDN$ 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them, April 15 2016
These are great. They took forever to arrive (about two months) but once I actually received them, I've been really happy to use them. Really bright colours and they are perfect to use over paint in mixed media.

Paris Red: A Novel
Paris Red: A Novel
by Maureen Gibbon
Price: CDN$ 27.95
19 used & new from CDN$ 6.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, Badly Written, April 15 2016
This review is from: Paris Red: A Novel (Hardcover)
I wanted to read this book because I'm passionate about art history, especially the Impressionists and I was interested in reading a story about Manet and his mysterious muse Victorine Meurent. However this definitely fell short of my expectations. It read like a trashy semi-erotic bad romance novel with a bit of art history thrown in as an after thought. If you weren't already familiar with the small handful of Manet's work she actually references, you would have no idea this book was about one of the most important modern painters in history. I got the impression the author isn't even very interested or knowledgeable about art. It's like she just read a wikipedia article about the Impressionists and then wrote a trashy novel just using one of their names as a main character. There were so many fascinating things going on in the art world in Paris in the late 19th century, but you would not know it from reading this. Just overall not good.

Columbine
Columbine
by Dave Cullen
Price: CDN$ 15.08
38 used & new from CDN$ 8.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but Flawed, March 18 2016
This review is from: Columbine (Paperback)
I read this book a number of years ago when it first came out and I remember being impressed with the depth of information Cullen provides. I've since read both Brooks Brown and Sue Klebolds books and decided to come back to this one to see how it compares to the two stories of people who actually experienced living through this terrible situation. I still think it's worth a read and provides significant insight into the killer's minds in the years leading up to the massacre, and the impact of their actions on the families of those who were killed, and also those who were injured. I do feel the book is a little choppy in the way it's organized, it's doesn't follow a chronological timeline as he tends to jump back and forth from various events, in both Eric and Dylan's lives and those of other people.

My big issue with the book is that Cullen goes into a lot of detail about the psychological complexities of Eric and Dylan's state of mind but never addresses bullying as being a component of fueling their anger. I think there was maybe one or two lines in the entire book that he mentions bullying, in which he states they were not bullied at Columbine. I feel this is a huge oversight, as he never explains how he would know this. Brooks Brown was a friend of Dylan since childhood and he discusses in length in his book that Dylan was bullied from grade school, and it continued up until the massacre. He claims bullying was rampant at Columbine and it created a very aggressive, hostile environment and people had even jokingly commented Columbine High School was the next place a school shooting was going to occur. Sue Klebold also touches on the issue in her book, although she said she wasn't aware of it occurring at the time because Dylan never confided in her, she noted there were times he came home from school obviously upset and he once said he had the worst day of his life but wouldn't tell her why. She also says in hindsight, she realizes now after Dylan was arrested over a year before the massacre, she wishes he had not been allowed to return to school because the toxic environment there was debilitating to his depressive mental state. Clearly there was a lot more going on in the school than Dave Cullen ever alludes to, and this I feel is the weakest component of his book. It's really unclear why he makes zero reference to this important issue. Obviously I don't believe bullying alone was the reason or a justification behind the attack, but I think it's a very significant factor in understanding how Dylan and Eric viewed their peers, and the world around them. Still, it's an interesting book.

A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy
A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy
by Sue Klebold
Price: CDN$ 26.24
35 used & new from CDN$ 22.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Devastating and Honest, March 7 2016
This book is devastating portrayal of grief and questions that can never be answered. It's a very raw and honest look at the life she thought she was living in, and the collapse of her illusions after the Columbine shooting. Her love for her son Dylan is prevalent and unwavering, even after she realized she had been in denial about his involvement in the massacre and how troubled and angry he had been during the last years of his life. What really struck me after finishing the book was really how completely unknowable another person can be, even someone we love and care for deeply. I was very moved by her story and I sincerely hope she can find a place of forgiveness for herself.

The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook: A Seasonal Guide to Eating and Living Well
The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook: A Seasonal Guide to Eating and Living Well
by Kate O'Donnell
Price: CDN$ 31.30
34 used & new from CDN$ 22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Informative, Valuable Information, Feb. 24 2016
I feel this book has honestly changed my life. Although I've always been a healthy eater, following a mostly vegan/raw diet, I still felt something was off, my energy levels were sometimes low and I experienced occasional digestive issues like bloating and frequent cravings. When I first heard about Ayurveda several years ago, I was skeptical, mainly because I didn't fully understand the concepts and teachings behind it, and it just seemed like it would be a lot of work to incorporate these ideas into regular life on a consistent basis. However it's something that stayed in my mind and when I saw this book, I really wanted to learn more. Kate O'Donnell does a really great job of explaining the concept behind Ayurveda, how to balance the elements that make up your body, how to eat for specific seasons and which foods can be paired together. It might sound complex but it's presented in a way that's easy to understand and I really connected to her message. I realized most of my issues were a result of just being out of balance, even though I was always eating typically healthy foods, I wasn't doing it in a way that benefited my specific body. The book is organized in a way that's very straight forward and easy to follow, with each season separated with it's own list of foods you can choose from. She also provides recipes you can use everyday with just a few alterations to make for each season, which I find very convenient. All of the ingredients are common, simple, and easy to find in any grocery store. Since I began using this book only a few weeks ago, I have noticed amazing changes both in how I look and feel. Yes, it does take a bit of extra time and pre-planning to organize and prepare each meal and it's not as convenient as some might desire, but honestly it's so worth it. I love the feeling of creating and preparing a healthy nourishing meal and then taking the time to really enjoy it. I'm so grateful for this book and so excited to have discovered this healing practice.

Steve Madden Women's Troopa2.0 Boot, Black Leather, 7 M US
Steve Madden Women's Troopa2.0 Boot, Black Leather, 7 M US
Offered by SHOEme ca
Price: CDN$ 150.00
2 used & new from CDN$ 150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Feb. 24 2016
Great boots. I find they fit a little on the bigger side but otherwise I love them.

Astrology of the Seers: A Guide to Vedic/Hindu Astrology
Astrology of the Seers: A Guide to Vedic/Hindu Astrology
Price: CDN$ 14.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Feb. 24 2016
Complex but highly worth delving into. Very informative.

Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer HX9170/10
Offered by Madprice
Price: CDN$ 149.88

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved the brush when I bought it, Feb. 24 2016
I loved the brush when I bought it, but after a few months I didn't think it was working as well but kept using it. A few months later it quit working altogether. Would not repurchase, definitely not worth the cost.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5