Profile for Under Ether > Reviews

Content by Under Ether
Top Reviewer Ranking: 423

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Under Ether
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mudwoman
Mudwoman
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Journey, Nov. 25 2014
This review is from: Mudwoman (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting and somewhat complicated story of a successful academic woman's disturbing childhood. I found this book captivating and like all of Joyce Carol Oates books, there are many layers involved. It's definitley not an easy read, and there are many points in the story it's unclear if something is really happening or is part of her madness. Complex but a highly interesting journey.

Foreign Faction: Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?
Foreign Faction: Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Revealing, Nov. 25 2014
If you're interested in the JonBenet Ramsey case, read this book. It presents all of the evidence and theories related directly to the investigation. It can get a little repetitive, the author sometimes goes over the same details multiple times, but I really enjoyed the objective way he presents all of the information. He unravels a lot of the confusion surrounding the case, specifically the DNA evidence that officially (in the legal sense) exonerated the family members from the crime. He explains how such miniscule DNA particles could have been found on the body but not actually connected to the murder. He offers significant evidence that it would have been improbable for an intruder to have entered and escaped the house based on the evidence, and there are several indications that point to the crime scene as being staged. I believe most people will have an opinion about who is actually responsible for the death of JonBenet by the end of the book.

Spiritual Lucid Dreaming: A Manual for Beginners and Intermediate Students
Spiritual Lucid Dreaming: A Manual for Beginners and Intermediate Students
Price: CDN$ 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars This is an great approach to lucid dreaming, Oct. 2 2014
This is an great approach to lucid dreaming. It doesn't just rehash the same info that's already in the majority of lucid dreaming technique books, but offers more of a spiritual approach which I found really interesting and effective. I would give 4 stars, but there are countless grammatical and spelling errors I found distracting.

Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
by Terry Hope Romero
Price: CDN$ 16.61
33 used & new from CDN$ 12.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Healthy and Unique, July 22 2014
I love salads. I usually eat big green vegetable salads everyday, so I was super excited when I heard about this book. I have to say when I got it I was a little disappointed – not in the book itself because I think it’s a really great recipe book. But mainly because in my opinion, these aren’t “salad” recipes per se, they’re more specifically meals in a bowl… ex. pad thai salad, tempeh pizza salad, seitan steak salad. Which again is not a criticism of the recipes because they look amazing and I do intend to try them. It’s just I think I was expecting simpler type salad recipes I could throw together quickly for a lunch the next day. Most of these recipes require a fair number of ingredients, a lot of prep work and most have recipes within recipes. She does offer some tips on how you can prep some things beforehand, or use some dressings and salad toppings interchangeably within recipes, but this also requires a fair bit of planning on your part.

So while my expectations of the book were different, the more I’ve looked through it, it has grown on me significantly. I have tried two of the recipes and they turned out really well, really great flavor combination, and I love the uniqueness of these dishes. I look forward to trying out the rest of the book. I do wish each recipe had a picture, but the ones that do are beautiful and the book is well organized and easy to follow.

When She Was Gone
When She Was Gone
by Gwendolen Gross
Price: CDN$ 13.71
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, July 10 2014
This review is from: When She Was Gone (Paperback)
This was a really strange book. I wanted to keep reading because I was curious how all these characters would come together and I was expecting some kind of conclusion to all these various stories. I won't give away the ending, but it didn't make any sense. I feel the author had no idea how the story should end while writing this book because it didn't fit at all. It starts out really great but completely falls apart within the last few chapters. Disappointing.

Coreyography: A Memoir
Coreyography: A Memoir
by Corey Feldman
Price: CDN$ 18.17
35 used & new from CDN$ 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Honest, June 30 2014
This review is from: Coreyography: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Seeing Corey Feldman in interviews over the last few years, he comes across as one of the strangest people on the planet. I've never been a huge fan but I was interested in this book after hearing about the things he discusses. I was really surprised how great the book actually is. It's well written, engaging and interesting. I have heard criticisms of how he shouldn't have discussed Corey Haim's sexual abuse and experiences with other men, which I somewhat agree with. Corey Haim isn't here to defend himself or acknowledge if these incidences are even accurate and truthful. But I admire Corey Feldman's brutally honest approach in writing this book. He is a very interesting person and who obviously overcame substantial childhood issues which I don't think many people would have been able to do. I still think he takes himself a bit too seriously as an "actor and musician", but I do hope he has found happiness in his adult life.

Price of Life
Price of Life
Price: CDN$ 9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, June 23 2014
This review is from: Price of Life (Kindle Edition)
I recently read Amanda Lindhout's book "A House In The Sky", which was astonishing and devastating and beautiful. I was interested in reading Nigel's side of the story, but unfortunately this book does not deliver. It's not very well organized, or well written. His story makes up about 1/3 of the book and while parts of it were interesting, it really lacked the same emotional impact that Amanda's book had. There aren't a lot of details or description, just a synopsis of his time spent in captivity. The other 2/3 of the book are his family's side of the story trying to organize the ransom payments, which is just a lot of tedious information that goes around in circles. They state pretty clearly they dislike Amanda, whether for personal reasons or because they blame her for Nigel being kidnapped, I'm not sure.. but the sister makes a couple snide comments referring to Amanda as a "cheerleader" and how the clothes she would be forced to wear by her captors wouldn't be stylish enough for her. I personally didn't think these remarks were appropriate considering Amanda endured unimaginable brutality by her captors, much worse than Nigel did. If you're interested in this story, skip this book and read A House in the Sky instead.

Around the Tarot in 78 Days: A Personal Journey Through the Cards
Around the Tarot in 78 Days: A Personal Journey Through the Cards
by Marcus Katz
Price: CDN$ 16.57
29 used & new from CDN$ 16.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference Book, May 27 2014
While I personally really enjoy this book, I don't think it would be suitable for beginners. The descriptions of the cards are more in depth than I've seen in other books, but at times there are so many details that it becomes convoluted and difficult to follow. I tend to use this book more of a compliment to some other books I have that are a little more straight forward. I really like the creative approach the authors have taken to get the reader familiar and associated with each of the cards, and there are a lot of interesting and insightful spreads. My biggest complaint is the way the book is organized - I have to check the table of contents every time I want to find a specific card and it's really quite irritating, especially when looking up numerous cards in a spread. However there is so much information in the book, it's one that I'll continue to return to.

The New Tarot Handbook: Master the Meanings of the Cards
The New Tarot Handbook: Master the Meanings of the Cards
by Rachel Pollack
Price: CDN$ 13.36
28 used & new from CDN$ 6.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Beginner Readers, May 27 2014
Pretty basic, but nice book. The author provides just the key concepts of each card without overwhelming the reader. This would be a good book for someone just starting out in reading cards. For someone more experienced, there is not much new information. Although I really liked the Major Arcana Spreads she provided after each card and her discussion of symbolism in various cards.

The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
by Angela Liddon
Price: CDN$ 14.50
7 used & new from CDN$ 14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh So Good, May 26 2014
I think this might be the first cookbook I've ever had where I actually want to make every single recipe in the book. So awesome and the pictures are beautiful. The recipes are simple and the ingredients are easily found in any grocery store, even for those on a budget. The book focuses around using healthy whole foods, very little soy and nothing processed. Beautiful, delicious and easy meals for vegan and non-vegans, I don't believe anyone could be disappointed with this book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3