Profile for Rob A. > Reviews

Content by Rob A.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rob A. (Canada)

Kuvings Silent Juicer SC Series With Detachable Smart Cap Silver
Kuvings Silent Juicer SC Series With Detachable Smart Cap Silver
Offered by Raw Nutrition
Price: CDN$ 379.00
2 used & new from CDN$ 379.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty awesome juicer, Dec 15 2014
We bought this exact same juicer from our local Costco warehouse (not available from Costco online) for $279 and it came bundled with the sorbet maker attachment ($25 value). Since it’s the same juicer I thought I’d write a review here as well for fellow Amazon shoppers.

My wife and I have been juicing for 2 years. We’ve been using a fast centrifugal-type juicer, a Breville model (800JEXL) that’s comparably priced to this one. Our typical daily juice includes; carrots, celery, cucumber, lemon, apples, kale, spinach, ginger root and beets. Sometimes we also include kiwi, oranges and a lime.

We’ve been comparing the two juicers for the last few weeks and if I was to summarize the differences in one sentence it would be this: The juice quality and yield from the Kuvings is a lot better than from the Breville, but the speed and clean-up of the Breville almost makes up for it.

Compared to the centrifugal Breville juicer, here are the pros and cons of the Kuvings:

Pros:
1. Excellent juice yield from every type of vegetable and fruit we’ve tried
2. Same produce made up to a quarter more juice (in volume)
3. Leftover/discarded pulp was very dry
4. Juice for the most part did not separate into juice water and juice particles like it does with the Breville
5. Due to its low speed, very little oxidation occurs
6. Maintains nutrients due to no heat from the low speed press
7. Very quiet operation - can be used when others in the house are sleeping
8. 10 year warranty

Cons:
1. Very slow juicing process
2. Need to cut down most produce into small pieces
3. A lot more parts to disassemble for cleaning, some not easily taken apart
4. A lot of nooks and crannies for pulp to get stuck in, making the cleanup process very tedious
5. Compared to the Breville, a lot more pulp is in the juice - use a strainer when pouring juice

A few notes to add:
- The cleanup process takes me almost 20 minutes for a good clean; the Breville takes me about 5 minutes.
- I recommend the removal and cleaning of the silicone ring at the bottom of the bowl every time.
- We haven’t needed to remove the 3 rotating rubber wipers for cleaning very often but they are removable.
- The rotating cleaning tool for the strainer/screen is cool but not very handy as you still need to use the other brush to clean the screen by hand both inside and out.
- After juicing, close the juice cap and pour water from the top into the juicer until the bowl fills up and run it for a minute or so then clear the water out. This helps cut down the cleaning process somewhat.
- The produce that needs cutting down the most are the stringy green type (i.e.. Celery).
- Cutting down the produce eliminates clogging and stoppages.
- Alternate carrots in between other produce; of all the foods we found carrots to move pulp through the ejector the best, clearing all pulp in the process.
- We barely needed to use the pusher, if you’re having to force food down then you may be going too fast and/or not cutting down the produce small enough.
- At first we noticed a small amount of juice leaking from the bottom of the bowl onto the main unit but it was due to the pulp-plug in the bowl not having been inserted all the way in.
- I assumed that the parts are dishwasher safe, the manual actually says otherwise. Hand-washing is what’s recommended.

Overall, even with the lengthy clean-up process we still highly recommend this juicer. Where it counts the most, yield and juice quality, this is a winner. Took off one star for the long clean-up process and the amount of pulp left in the juice.

Oral B Precision Black 7000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Oral B Precision Black 7000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: CDN$ 156.72
4 used & new from CDN$ 147.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, Oct. 10 2014
This is our 3rd Oral-B electric toothbrush. My wife and I have always been partial towards them as the smaller round head of the Oral-B system worked best for us in cleaning tight, hard to reach areas such as wisdom teeth.

We've owned a basic Oral-B model many years ago that we eventually replaced with the Oral-B Professional Care Triumph about 6 years ago. The Triumph is the predecessor to the current Professional Care 5000 and also came with the Smart Guide.

Our Triumph served us well. The battery eventually started losing charge, lasting only a few days before needing a recharge. More critically, the plastic started to chip around the top causing the head to twist somewhat loosely, so it was time to replace it.

We compared the 5000 and 7000 and really had a hard time choosing until Amazon.com (U.S. site) put the 7000 on sale while at the same time Oral-B was giving an additional $30-off via an instant online coupon, making it cheaper than the 5000 so I decided to order it.

Even with the exchange rate, shipping to Canada, taxes and duty etc... it came to ~$30 less than the lowest Amazon.ca price, which itself was significantly cheaper than all Canadian brick and mortar stores (which were all selling for above $200). And to my surprise the package that came was the full retail Canadian packaging with both English and French text, manuals and included both US and Canadian warranty.

There are two disappointing things about the 7000 that I should mention:

1. The battery is still NiMH. I had hoped that Oral-B had finally transitioned to Lithium Ion but they haven't.
2. The included AC charger is 110V only. My old Triumph included a world charger (100V-240V) which now Oral-B sells separately.

These might be deal breakers for some but I knew going in about them and they didn't impact us. First, our old Triumph also had a NiMH battery and with proper care (e.g. complete discharge every 6 months) it easily lasted 5+ years; by that time we started seeing other, more pressing, physical breakdowns necessitating a replacement. Second, the 10-day battery life on the 7000 covers most of our trips outside North America.

Now if you can live with these two limitations then you're in for a real treat with this toothbrush. Compared to our old Triumph, which we still consider it to be a great toothbrush, this one just trumps it in most respects.

It's thinner and lighter yet Oral-B managed to somehow retain, if not improve, the feel in the hand. The outer casing has rubbery parts and is more sticky (in a good way) than the Triumph which was very slippery especially when wet. Operation wise, button layout, modes etc... are almost identical (the 7000 has one additional mode than the 5000 - 6 modes in total) making it really easy to pick up and use without even reading the manual - it's very intuitive.

The toothbrush, shockingly, took almost 24 hours to fully charge from a complete discharge state, which is much, much slower than any of our previous toothbrushes. This is partly due to the use of a NiMH-type battery, but more likely I think Oral-B went to a new charging model (old Triumph charger does not work with the new 7000) where it now trickle charges instead of the old fast charge method. Upon further researching, if it is indeed true that this new charger is a trickle-type charger, then it's a good thing as evidence suggests that trickle charging these types of batteries not only reduces heat and wear on the battery but can in most cases significantly prolong battery life and charge cycles. Maybe that's Oral-B's small way of combating long term battery issues without going to Lithium Ion.

The new Smart Guide is a little smaller but unlike the old one which when sitting its LCD display was angled slightly up, making it easy to read, this one sits with its face perpendicular to the surface so when looking down on it the display is a little faded. It comes with a clear mounting apparatus that allows you to have it mounted on a bathroom mirror. I found that with the mounting apparatus installed, but without actually mounting it to a mirror, you can have it sit on the counter with the display angled slightly up, making it much easier to read and this became our preferred placement option.

While it is nice to see the timer and sequence of mouth quadrants while brushing, I don't think the Smart Guide adds much value overall. However we do find that it makes a great bathroom clock so that's handy.

The travel case that's included is really nice. So nice in fact that I almost feel like I need a case for the case. The inner lining is removable and can be washed in a dishwasher.

The kit included three different Oral-B brush-heads. Our favorite is the Floss Action; one of which is included.

Up to four brush-heads can be stored neatly on the charging base and each brush-head, as with most Oral-B units, can have a different colored ring on the bottom to differentiate individual ones (his, hers etc...).

But where it counts the most, teeth cleaning and gum massaging performance, is where ultimately one decides whether this is a good buy or not. And boy is this ever great in those regards. After using it the first time, my teeth and gums felt phenomenal, got that tingly sensation back (that one you get right after a thorough cleaning by a dental hygienist). I had used my old Triumph merely a few hours earlier, using the same head, and the difference was night and day. The pulsations on the 7000 felt noticeably smoother and tighter than our Triumph. My wife felt exactly the same way after her first brushing. We threw away our trusty old Triumph immediately after that.

This is by far the best electric toothbrush we have ever used. I highly recommend it. My only gripes are that Oral-B stuck with NiMH batteries and they no longer include a world-adapter. For the asking price, I think it's only reasonable to expect those two shortcomings be addressed. Despite this, we still gave this brush 5-stars based on its most important virtue, performance.

Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL
Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven BOV800XL
Price: CDN$ 219.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 219.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed control panel after 2 years, May 12 2014
We purchased this oven 2 years ago after reading a number of glowing reviews, not to mention this was our 5th Breville appliance; we are happy Breville customers and never had prior issues with any of their products (blenders, juicers etc...).

We loved this oven. It was easy to use, fast heating, It wasn't the easiest to clean but then again which toaster oven is? No issues at all during the first year.

One issue we started having in the 2nd year of use was the fan started to get loud and still is today. It's not a deal breaker but it is annoying. We keep the oven clean and well maintained but we have no idea what's causing the fan to be this loud all of a sudden.

The deal breaker came a few weeks ago when the controls started to act up. For example, when you press the Start/Cancel button to start the oven sometimes it would not register a press no matter how many times or how hard you press and sometimes it works perfectly (in our estimation it works about 40% of the time). Then the Time dial started acting up by skipping intervals, for example: turning the dial up to increase the timer in minutes, it would go 7-8-9-20-23-etc... skipping 10-19, 21-22. Repeating the process it would randomly skip others, no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

So on any given day, depending on pure luck it seems, the oven may be perfectly functioning or completely unusable. We contacted Breville Canada for advice knowing full well that it's out of warranty. They informed us that there is no service centre near us and that the only option is to repurchase the oven. To their credit they offered us a discount to repurchase it directly from them with free shipping but after recently reading online the number of people posting about the exact same control issues with this specific oven, we're very hesitant to invest more in a Breville oven as there may well be a defective design in the panel itself.

We're now researching alternatives.

Braun 760CC Pulsonic Self-Cleaning Shaver
Braun 760CC Pulsonic Self-Cleaning Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver but too expensive here, Dec 30 2011
I have the step-up model of the same shaver (Model 790cc-4, which became available in Canada in late 2011) and it's fantastic. Same shave as this model but with a few more bells and whistles, namely a grey-matte finish, a more detailed and muted LCD display instead of the bright LEDs on the 760 and a fast-clean mode on the base.

Normally I wouldn't recommend the 790cc-4 over this since those minor upgrades are not worth the extra cost but I just got my 790cc-4 from Bed Bath and Beyond (with a 20% off coupon) for $240 (normally retails for $300+) which is less than what the 760 is priced here. FWIW, Walmart also has the 790cc-4 regularly priced at $299. Additionally, the 760cc is actually becoming a discontinued SKU according to a Braun Canada correspondence I received so for those out west London Drugs were clearing out their stocks of 760cc for $199 and they included a free 3-pack of the Clean and Renew cartridges, but locally for me all my LD stores are now out of the 760cc and instead stocking the model 720. But it might be worth looking into whether any LD stores still have stock.

This is a great shaver but way over priced here.

Braun Series 7 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System
Braun Series 7 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System
Price: CDN$ 263.26
6 used & new from CDN$ 263.26

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it get for electrics, Dec 29 2011
I've had the pleasure of trying out just about every electric shaver from the sub-$100 Remington (Foil shavers), to the $300+ high end shavers from Panasonic (foil) and Philips (rotary) and the Branu 790cc-4 is as good as it gets in my opinion.

The Clean and Renew base is terrific. Cleans, lubricates and dries the shaver so it feels like new every time you use it. The cleaning system is superior to Panasonic's too; I found with my Panasonic Arc IV that the cleaning system left a few stubbles and it didn't smell great, and to top it off it didn't dry off completely.

The shave from this Braun is blade-good. I mean, I can run my fingers against the grain after a shave and there's nothing but smooth skin, which is a first for me from any electric shaver. It's not too loud either and the Pulsonic system doesn't cause any uncomfortable vibrations to the hand at all. The head only got marginally warm after 6-7 minutes of shaving and stayed very comfortable. There are three sensitivity settings but I find even the most intense setting to be quite mild and never irritated my sensitive skin. Also, the trimmer is very effective and the head can be locked in one position for shaving in tight spots such as under the nose.

The build quality on this shaver is unsurpassed. It's made in Germany, unlike many other shavers which are cheaply made in China these days.

About the only disappointments I found with this shaver, and to some degree this goes for all the shavers I tried, is that I couldn't get a total close shave in under 5 minutes. I found that it takes me a good 7-8 minutes to get a complete shave as you'll need to go over some areas more than once, and from different angles. It also helps to stretch the skin ahead of the shaver especially on the the neck area to get a really close shave. Also, this shaver only works on a dry face, which is fine for me as I want to move away from using brushes and creams but that means if your face just happens to have a bit of moisture on it, maybe after a shower or from sweating after a workout, it didn't perform at its best. So now every time I shave I have to make sure my face is at its driest, so I either shave before a shower or long after a shower, and before working out. In all, minor annoyances but well worth it to get the best shave from an electric.

In my view, this shaver is as good as it gets. I just wish they are priced the same here as they are in the US. This shaver is about $100 less in the US so if you happen to be heading south, it's probably worth getting from there instead of here.

Braun Clean and Renew Refill, 3 Count (Transparent)
Braun Clean and Renew Refill, 3 Count (Transparent)
Offered by Duty Free Shop
Price: CDN$ 29.44
14 used & new from CDN$ 21.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product, lousy price, Dec 22 2011
This is a great product and highly recommended for people with Braun Clean and Renew systems. However, this is way over-priced here. I found it at my local stores (including Walmart) for $10 less. Why is Amazon.ca becoming synonymous with over-priced?