Profile for Douglas Barnes > Reviews

Content by Douglas Barnes

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Douglas Barnes

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
by Julia Ross
Price: CDN$ 13.00
39 used & new from CDN$ 8.80

3.0 out of 5 stars This might help you a bit... perhaps., Sept. 26 2014
I used to regularly suffer from moderate to severe depression for decades, and if there is one thing I learned, it is that depression is complex. It's a tough nut to crack.

Depression has its chemical components, its physiological components, and its psychological components, none of which are fully understood. There is no one-size-fits-all cure. I wish there were, but there isn't.

That said, I did make a number of significant dietary changes based on the author's recommendations, and had some noticeable results. I did feel and function a fair bit better, but when I was tested on the Hamiltonian scale, it turned out I was severely depressed.

I did manage to put depression in the past, but it was not via this book. This book might help you to alleviate some of your suffering, but it is unlikely to be a mood cure.

niceEshop(TM) Studio Microphone Mic Wind Screen Pop Filter/ Swivel Mount / Mask Shied For Speaking Recording -Black
Offered by CZ-Sky
Price: CDN$ 6.67
7 used & new from CDN$ 6.67

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, with some problems -- but it's $7., Sept. 26 2014
For the price, this is a good pop-filter. It works to take the power out of prose peppered with Ps, and flattens to flow frequency formed from Fs.

The pivot of the base is too loose, so you will have to do some MacGuyvering to get it to stay put (try elastics). The clamp at the base is also not great and does not grip well. Wedge some rubber in there to give the clap grip.

All-in-all, for $7, I don't have complaints.

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors
by Linda Mcquaig
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
7 used & new from CDN$ 2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars An important piece of Canadian history, April 21 2013
The one-star review anonymously given is a relic of the days when trolls would come out in force and down rate books they had never read but that dared to counter their personal ideology. Calling it "Mein Kampf for the Homeless" is indicative of how these folks have nothing of value to say.

For Canadians, this is an important book. The tax codes were severely gutted by the Mulroney government in the 1980s, creating a revenue crisis that continues to this day. This also coincides with the period at which the average Canadian income in real dollars peaked. If we all forget or choose to forget this important piece of history, we cannot hope to have healthcare, education, transportation, and communication run well, let alone up to standards.

While it is heart warming that the anonymous one-star reviewer wants to protect the unjustifiable gains of his favourite multimillionaire or billionaire, if we want a decent country to live in, we'll have to restore what has been undone. This book can serve as a guide on that path.

The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
by Timothy Ferriss
Price: CDN$ 19.44
58 used & new from CDN$ 7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Pareto Principle applied to body hacking, Jan. 11 2011
I recently received this book as a gift (but had been planning to buy it anyway) and am very pleased with it so far.

As has been noted in other reviews, the book is not one that is intended to be read cover to cover. So far, I have implemented just one piece of advice from the book, and that was to eat two tablespoons of almond butter before bed to make waking up easier by combating low blood sugar. As someone who would wake up at 11 am if left to my own devices and still feel tired, I was thrilled with the results! I had an excellent night's sleep and woke more refreshed than I have in years.

Though I have yet to implement them, the chapters on muscle gain make sense for a hard-gainer like myself. The advice is very similar to what is written in Scrawny to Brawny, which I know from experience works for slight-of-build folk.

From my own experience so far, I would say this book does what it states and would recommend it.

Permaculture: A Designers Manual
Permaculture: A Designers Manual
by Bill Mollison
15 used & new from CDN$ 137.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for serious permaculturists, Sept. 29 2006
I first picked up this book in 1998 and dug into it without really grasping it. After taking a 72-hour Permaculture Design Certificate course (PDC), it all gelled. The book really is the curriculum of the PDC with each chapter covering sections taught in the course.

While there is plenty of useful material for the average reader, the book is vital for permaculture students as well as anyone planning on becoming a registered permaculture teacher. Simply put, there is no book available that covers the topic of permaculture as a whole better than the Manual. If you are looking to get one book on the subject, this is it.