ARRAY(0xacac266c)

Profile for Renee > Reviews

Content by Renee

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Renee (Honolulu,Hawaii, USA)

The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves
by Linda Kavelin Popov
Price: CDN$ 15.16
72 used & new from CDN$ 1.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Great parenting handbook too!, Jan. 3 2003
For the first time it became clear to me what the difference is between values and virtues. A value is culture specific, e.g. in the American culture we VALUE earning a lot of money, but does that make you a virtuous person? In Holland we value being punctual, in Spain they don't value punctuality the same way... VIRTUES on the other hand, are universally valued by all faiths and cultures around the world.
I absolute love the virtue part of this book but the first part of the book is very good too! It puts you as a parent in the right frame of mind on houw to parent. My husband is an intensive in-home mental health therapist and his parenting class for his clients looks very similar to what's described in this book. Obviously we are on the same wave-length here. The virutes part of the book will give you as a parent concreet things to focus on with your child(ren). And the good news: you can take it one week at a time. Buy this book, it will never be a loss. And buy one for your neighbor too, and for your friends, sister, brother and .... you get the message!

Gilgamesh the King
Gilgamesh the King
by Ludmila Zeman
Price: CDN$ 9.89
40 used & new from CDN$ 2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY all three books in this series, you gotta HAVE them all!, Oct. 30 2002
This review is from: Gilgamesh the King (Paperback)
I received all three books in this series this afternoon and just finished reading them. Ludmila Zeman has done a wonderful job in retelling the Epic of Gilgamesh. This series is a great introduction into one of the oldest legends in the world. Children and adults will both loooove to read these books over and over. The artwork is first class and you will find yourself looking through this book just to soak up these beautiful images.
The words Ludmila Zeman used with each one of the pictures is rich but still to the point. So, don't wait any longer and buy buy buy all three! I am an elementary school teacher and I can't wait to share these stories with my students!

Story Of The World 01 Ancient Times
Story Of The World 01 Ancient Times
by Susan Bauer
22 used & new from CDN$ 1.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Wise Bauer has revolutionized the "subject" of history, Oct. 29 2002
I am using this book with the curriculum guide with my kids and the question is who likes it better. History is my kids' favorite subject now and I can't wait myself to read more and more and more. This book would be best for elementary school children, although the language and the stories are not super simple! The stories in this book are soooo interesting. It realy is his-STORY, a story about people, instead of boring facts from a time long gone. The curriculum guide to accompany this book is an absolute MUST since it will direct you to more history and literature about what you just read in this book. There are also coloring pages, maps and numerous projects (doing an archaeology dig, building a model of the Nile, making a mummified chicken to writing in cuneiform on clay). So don't wait any longer, buy buy buy this book and the curr.guide!