Profile for Moe Sasseville > Reviews

Content by Moe Sasseville

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Moe Sasseville "Moester" (Montreal, QC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360
Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360
6 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun game...new content no more than OK, July 31 2008
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I've been playing Madden for over a decade and the gameplay has been getting incrementally better every year with a few exceptions. This year is no different. I wish that they'd go for an overhaul, because releasing a slightly different version of the same game is getting old. Might as well just release Madden and upgrade the roster every year through online services.

SHADOW OF SAGANAMI
SHADOW OF SAGANAMI
by DAVID WEBER
Price: CDN$ 17.48
53 used & new from CDN$ 1.04

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honorverse book without a Mary Sue/Gary Sue Character?, July 31 2008
This review is from: SHADOW OF SAGANAMI (Hardcover)
Yes, its true, there is such a book. This book is a radical departure from the regular honorverse, Weber's favorite superhuman and her merry band of infallibles.

This is probably my favorite Weber novel since Echoes of Honor. I very much look forward to the continuation of this storyline...I can only hope that the characters won't be Mary Sue'd in the future.

For those of you who wonder who this Sue person is check out: [...]

The Tale of Krispos: Krispos Rising  Krispos of Videssos  Krispos the Emperor
The Tale of Krispos: Krispos Rising Krispos of Videssos Krispos the Emperor
by Harry Turtledove
Price: CDN$ 20.76
33 used & new from CDN$ 4.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Triology, July 31 2008
Kispos Rising (the first part of this Omnibus) is among my favorite books ever written. Its follow up is also very entertaining. The third part seemed to lag and was a bit too historical for my tastes. I've read several books by Turttledove and while at times I greatly appreciate the multiple viewpoints, there are some books where its just too much, and Krispos the Emperor is one of those books. I think that in this case, the rigid adherance to history is a hinderance to the overall plot. Some people might like to take in the many turns of bizantine politics; but I'm not one of these people. Its interesting, but not my cup of tea for fiction.

But two fantastic books and an average one packaged together in an afforable package is irresistible to me. I strongly reccomend this purchase.

The Lost Fleet: Valiant
The Lost Fleet: Valiant
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another solid entry., July 31 2008
The more I read these Lst fleet books, the more I'm convinced that they should have been released as a triology. I've talked about this ad-nauseum on previous reviews...but I'll talk about what is new.

Possible Spoilers Ahead
This book takes on a new twist. Now that Geary is all but home-free the enemies within the fleet are massing against him and are taking serious physical attempts at his life. His personal life is also getting more complicated in a very interesting way. In this novel you get a real sense that although the fleet is still fighting, that things are getting more and more serious. Things are becoming more and more critical and the ships are starting to need more and more to keep them going.

According everything I've read the plans are for 6 books in this series, and the last two books are really starting to take shape. These book could use a few hundred pages more to flesh them out. But to me that's a sign of a good book...that you wish that there was more.

Fall With Honor
Fall With Honor
by E Knight
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Knight's best novel yet, July 9 2008
This review is from: Fall With Honor (Hardcover)
I'm a great fan of this series and I strongly believe that this is the best book of the series. The development of the character is great, reading these books is following the development of a character almost from birth, and seeing the trial he goes through is getting more and more harrowing. The simple fact that Valentine (the lead character) is so human and that the setting is so believable that its hard not to feel and wish the character well.

I will leave the plot details to the cover, but I must say that its an extremely satisfying read leaving the door right open for an exiting conclusion in future novels. As always, I look forward to next year for the next installment.

Don’t Start the Revolution
Don’t Start the Revolution
by Jesse Ventura
Price: CDN$ 17.61
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., July 9 2008
I must say that I loved reading this book. The first 2/3 of the book read like you're overhearing a conversation between Jesse and his wife. They spend most of the book remeniscing and going through their lives dropping views and genuine wisdom at regular intervals.

The last 1/3 of the book is much more in depth as far as politics and become much more of an endictment of the system and the people currently running it. Its almost too bad that Jesse doesn't get into this part more; as a matter of fact its a shame that the book is as short as it is. Many of Jesse's ideas and thought provoking statements are sent out rapid-fire and sometimes come out as quotes rather than fully formed ideas. I would have loved to hear him go in depth and lay out his thought patterns a bit more.

I guess its a successful novel that leaves you wanting more. Especially when its comes to a political book that is meant to outline the entirety of a person's political views and career. I can't say I agree with everything that is written; but I think that the most important thing in the book is that everything there whether you agree with it or not is there to make people think. And that's healthy, and in a way its a lot of fun.

A great read, not to be missed for any interested in contemporary American politics.

Starship: Mutiny
Starship: Mutiny
by Mike Resnick
Price: CDN$ 17.33
26 used & new from CDN$ 1.08

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, but not very deep at all, June 26 2008
This review is from: Starship: Mutiny (Hardcover)
I found this novel almost by mistake drifting through the good Ol' "customers who bought this also bought" option in order to cure my jonesin' for some decent sci-fi.

I must say that I really liked the entire premise of the book even if I can't really that I love any of the characters. There's a certain edge of Stargate type heroes and villains cheezyness to it which kinda keep me back from truly attaching myself to the characters. But very much like Stargate, I find myself pulled towards the series for its escapist qualities. Basically, I strongly reccomend this book for anyone looking to read something well written but not especially deep.

Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, Book 1)
Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, Book 1)
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first novel, May 13 2008
This novel has everything to please sci-fi and military sci-fi affictionados. Its at once a character study as well as a study of a society at war, corrupted morals and the ideals of those constantly on a war footing. The character balance is much more nuanced that in Weapons of Choice where every character is written very boldly as white hats and black hats. Although the protagonists are clearly visible, there seems to be more shades of grey than a true "bad guy" You throw in some very "Battlestar Galactica" like scenes of a fleet running and surrounded where supplies are an issue.

Overall this book explodes out of the gate with incredible potential. The ending seems a little truncated, but it sets up the next novel quite well.

Courageous (The Lost Fleet, Book 3)
Courageous (The Lost Fleet, Book 3)
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Deserved 3 1/2 stars, May 13 2008
The more I read, and the more I think that the lost fleet should have been a three book series. Book 1 & 2 together, 3 & 4 likewise. There just isn't enough material to constantly keep coming out with a book so we're served re-warmed writing in the first quarter of the novel until we get to the good parts. The interpersonal relationships are well thought out and very well written, the space battles and tactics are top notch. Much of the technologies are pretty standard sci-fi fare, yet they carry a tang of believeability which is primordial for the military sci-fi genre.

Overall its a really good read...but one I can't help but feel that I've mostly had before. I don't feel like I should have to pay twice or wait six months to read a whole book. The quality is definitely there, but there should be more to the books, and its the lack of a complete arc that to me seperates this novel from a five star review.

Fearless (The Lost Fleet, Book 2)
Fearless (The Lost Fleet, Book 2)
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A step down from the previous books, Jan. 13 2008
Although the writing and the pacing are satisfactory, this book felt like nothing more than a transition novel. Nothing really changed until the last fifth of the novel, and all it did was to setup the next one. I felt that the previous novels were short, but they were satisfying. In this case, it felt like nothing more than half of a novel. I'll buy the next book, but if there's nothing new I don't see myself picking up the book again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6