Profile for Moe Sasseville > Reviews

Content by Moe Sasseville

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Moe Sasseville "Moester" (Montreal, QC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Knocked Up (Unrated Widescreen Edition)
Knocked Up (Unrated Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Seth Rogen
Offered by Wulf Electronics
Price: CDN$ 8.99
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a great comedy, Aug. 20 2008
Knocked up is one of those witty films that can take a potentially serious subject matter and make it serious. I mean there's all the hallmarks of a woman-power tear jerker here: Loser boyfriend, dedicated carreer woman, redemption, true love..."TO BLAVE" (To quote Billy Crystal in Princess Bride)

However many parts of the movie are funny, what made it unfunny to me was the unlikability of many of the characters. I'm all for the loveable stoners, but fat, out of work, completely apathetic stoner slobs are unbelieveable as love interests to me. At least not to the type of woman Heigl is in the movie...at least not out of high-school.

At best this is a dress rehearsal for the much superior Superbad.

Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way
Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way
by Bruce Campbell
Price: CDN$ 14.59
47 used & new from CDN$ 1.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Campbell fans, Aug. 19 2008
When I first picked up this book, I was more than a little hesitant about it. I loved "Chins" but really what more could there be? I try not to read covers and its funny that nowhere in the book does it say that its actually fiction.

I bought into it for the first few chapters, laughing at human stupidity...yet when I realised that its actually fiction, I went back and laughed out loud at Campbell's comedic wit.

This is a truly great work of comedy and as I re-read the book, I can't help but wonder why Campbell doesn't have any comedy scripts to his name.

Bruce Campbell has been underestimated as an actor, and now obviously is being underestimated as a writer.

Starship: Mercenary
Starship: Mercenary
by Mike Resnick
Price: CDN$ 22.00
19 used & new from CDN$ 7.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Fun, Aug. 19 2008
This review is from: Starship: Mercenary (Hardcover)
This is very much an old-school sci-fi book. And that is a good thing, its fun, its punchy and doesn't get lost in the minutiae of WHY. There is a feeling of the universe existing in that way because it can, and doesn't try to get credibility by creating fictitious numbers.

The plot moves by quickly and with a sense of fun that is irresistible. Everything is resolved by the end, yet you know that there's going to be another novel. I can't wait to get the next one.

Hell's Gate (BOOK 1 in new MULTIVERSE series)
Hell's Gate (BOOK 1 in new MULTIVERSE series)
by David Weber
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.02
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Loooooooooooong winded, Aug. 9 2008
This book is pretty much what I've come to expect from David Weber. Extremely competent and skilled protagonists with antagonists being mean-spirited morons who invariably are the source of all the world's ills. The book is extremely detailed almost to a fault, I felt like it was chore to spend the first quarter of the book setting up the character's background in such fine details. It definitely bogs down the story in minutiae that is basically nice to know if you're interested, but doesn't take the story anywhere.

The overall story is quite interesting, but this book has about 200 pages full of useless filler. Which basically means that its 200 pages too long. I miss early Weber books that were punchy with just enough background to make things interesting. I think that nobody has ever told the author to let people take some things for granted, and that we don't need a detailed biography of each character along with a socio-analysis of each diverging culture.

Definitely among Weber's weakest works. A great idea, and a good story lost through over explanations and formulaic characters.

Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360
Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360
8 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun game...new content no more than OK, July 31 2008
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I've been playing Madden for over a decade and the gameplay has been getting incrementally better every year with a few exceptions. This year is no different. I wish that they'd go for an overhaul, because releasing a slightly different version of the same game is getting old. Might as well just release Madden and upgrade the roster every year through online services.

SHADOW OF SAGANAMI
SHADOW OF SAGANAMI
by DAVID WEBER
Price: CDN$ 23.63
44 used & new from CDN$ 1.09

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honorverse book without a Mary Sue/Gary Sue Character?, July 31 2008
This review is from: SHADOW OF SAGANAMI (Hardcover)
Yes, its true, there is such a book. This book is a radical departure from the regular honorverse, Weber's favorite superhuman and her merry band of infallibles.

This is probably my favorite Weber novel since Echoes of Honor. I very much look forward to the continuation of this storyline...I can only hope that the characters won't be Mary Sue'd in the future.

For those of you who wonder who this Sue person is check out: [...]

The Tale of Krispos: Krispos Rising  Krispos of Videssos  Krispos the Emperor
The Tale of Krispos: Krispos Rising Krispos of Videssos Krispos the Emperor
by Harry Turtledove
Price: CDN$ 20.76
33 used & new from CDN$ 5.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Triology, July 31 2008
Kispos Rising (the first part of this Omnibus) is among my favorite books ever written. Its follow up is also very entertaining. The third part seemed to lag and was a bit too historical for my tastes. I've read several books by Turttledove and while at times I greatly appreciate the multiple viewpoints, there are some books where its just too much, and Krispos the Emperor is one of those books. I think that in this case, the rigid adherance to history is a hinderance to the overall plot. Some people might like to take in the many turns of bizantine politics; but I'm not one of these people. Its interesting, but not my cup of tea for fiction.

But two fantastic books and an average one packaged together in an afforable package is irresistible to me. I strongly reccomend this purchase.

The Lost Fleet: Valiant
The Lost Fleet: Valiant
by Jack Campbell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another solid entry., July 31 2008
The more I read these Lst fleet books, the more I'm convinced that they should have been released as a triology. I've talked about this ad-nauseum on previous reviews...but I'll talk about what is new.

Possible Spoilers Ahead
This book takes on a new twist. Now that Geary is all but home-free the enemies within the fleet are massing against him and are taking serious physical attempts at his life. His personal life is also getting more complicated in a very interesting way. In this novel you get a real sense that although the fleet is still fighting, that things are getting more and more serious. Things are becoming more and more critical and the ships are starting to need more and more to keep them going.

According everything I've read the plans are for 6 books in this series, and the last two books are really starting to take shape. These book could use a few hundred pages more to flesh them out. But to me that's a sign of a good book...that you wish that there was more.

Fall With Honor
Fall With Honor
by E Knight
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Knight's best novel yet, July 9 2008
This review is from: Fall With Honor (Hardcover)
I'm a great fan of this series and I strongly believe that this is the best book of the series. The development of the character is great, reading these books is following the development of a character almost from birth, and seeing the trial he goes through is getting more and more harrowing. The simple fact that Valentine (the lead character) is so human and that the setting is so believable that its hard not to feel and wish the character well.

I will leave the plot details to the cover, but I must say that its an extremely satisfying read leaving the door right open for an exiting conclusion in future novels. As always, I look forward to next year for the next installment.

Don’t Start the Revolution
Don’t Start the Revolution
by Jesse Ventura
Price: CDN$ 17.61
53 used & new from CDN$ 2.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., July 9 2008
I must say that I loved reading this book. The first 2/3 of the book read like you're overhearing a conversation between Jesse and his wife. They spend most of the book remeniscing and going through their lives dropping views and genuine wisdom at regular intervals.

The last 1/3 of the book is much more in depth as far as politics and become much more of an endictment of the system and the people currently running it. Its almost too bad that Jesse doesn't get into this part more; as a matter of fact its a shame that the book is as short as it is. Many of Jesse's ideas and thought provoking statements are sent out rapid-fire and sometimes come out as quotes rather than fully formed ideas. I would have loved to hear him go in depth and lay out his thought patterns a bit more.

I guess its a successful novel that leaves you wanting more. Especially when its comes to a political book that is meant to outline the entirety of a person's political views and career. I can't say I agree with everything that is written; but I think that the most important thing in the book is that everything there whether you agree with it or not is there to make people think. And that's healthy, and in a way its a lot of fun.

A great read, not to be missed for any interested in contemporary American politics.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7