Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer (Woodland, AL United States)

The Valley of Horses
The Valley of Horses
by Jean M. Auel
Price: CDN$ 19.60
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.68

3.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 Good-1/2 Bad, April 5 2002
This review is from: The Valley of Horses (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved The Clan of the Cave Bear so I was anxious to read this book too. Instead of the historical, informative, bibliography that was so well done in the first book, I found myself reading a trashy romance novel half of the time. I loved the parts about Ayla and her adventures with Whinney and Baby, but I hated the chapters about Jondalar and his brother. SEX SEX SEX. WHY? WHY? WHY? was all that necessary?
I hope the next one will be better.

The Wind Done Gone
The Wind Done Gone
by Alice Randall
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 5 2002
This review is from: The Wind Done Gone (Hardcover)
I was hoping for MORE. I know it would be hard to follow a novel as great as Gone With The Wind, but even the dialect that was soooo good in Gone With The Wind is missing in this book.
I hated that Randall tarnished the reputation of Mamie. I loved that character in Gone With The Wind, and now I am so disappointed.
I love books and I am glad that I own this one, but I was not impressed.

Red Flags: How to Know When You're Dating a Loser
Red Flags: How to Know When You're Dating a Loser
by Gary S. Aumiller
Price: CDN$ 11.55
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Informative, and Eye Opening, April 5 2002
This book catagorizes people into types that are losers. Yellow flag losers may be worth the effort, while RED flag losers need to be weeded out. The book even tells you how to get rid of a loser.
The book is FUNNY, but also informative. Although you know the guy is a loser, sometimes it is difficult to put your finger on what is wrong. This book helps. The book helped me see some similarities in the losers I have met. It also helps to educate you on how to get out of the relationship. Some losers are easy to leave, but there are others that you just can't run from either because they keep returning, or because they become violent.
There is one loser that the book does not mention. That is the one of the selfish or stingy person.
I really enjoyed this book.

The Relationship Rescue Workbook: A Seven Step Strategy For Reconnecting with Your Partner
by Phillip C. McGraw
Price: CDN$ 13.00
94 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It Still Take Two, April 5 2002
This is a great book and it contains excellent information to bring a relationship back to a healthy one, but it won't work unless both are willing to read the book and work on the relationship.
Don't waste your money unless you are sure you both have the same goals in mind.

The Clan of the Cave Bear
The Clan of the Cave Bear
by Jean M. Auel
Price: CDN$ 19.44
42 used & new from CDN$ 1.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Spiritualism similar to Early American Indians, April 5 2002
I first read this book in the 80's and enjoyed it tremendously. I read it again just recently and it still remains one of my most favorite.
The story of Ayla and her determination to overcome give me strength. Auel's detailed descriptions of everyone and everything left nothing to your imagination. I laughed and I cried. I felt every heartbreak and every ounce of pride that Ayla felt.
The spirits of the totems and the ceremonies remind me of the spiritualism of our Early American Indians. Auel's book, although fiction, is very believable.
I love this book. It is WELL WORTH THE PRICE!

Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
by Melody Beattie
Price: CDN$ 13.36
60 used & new from CDN$ 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Melody Beattie is a fly on the wall., March 26 2001
I was amazed at how much Melody Beattie knew about me when I read this book. It seemed as though she had followed me around my entire life and wrote my biography in this book.
I was raised by an alcoholic mom and several alcoholic step-fathers. In order to have SOME stability and order in my life, I took on a lot of responsibilies that were not mine. This resulted in my Codependency character. I carried this behavior into my marriages to alcoholic men.
Alcohol was so prevelent in my family that I did not see it. All of my family members were high functioning alcoholics other than my grandfather, who was a low functioning alcoholic. I labled my grandfather an alcoholic and the other members of my family as normal drinkers. I do not drink much at all so I WAS AN ABNORMAL drinker.LOL (Hindsight is 20/20)
Anyway, this way of life teaches Codependency. Recognizing codependency and taking responsibility for YOUR OWN life can help your emotional health. And that is exactly what this book helped me do. Melody taught me how to set boundaries on myself to not do for others what they can do for themselves. She taught me that by taking on others responsibilities, I am taking away their opportunity for self growth.
This book was my first eye opening experience into my own life. It was just the beginning to an extremely adventurous ride into self knowledge.
Well worth the money.

When I Say No, I Feel Guilty
When I Say No, I Feel Guilty
by Manuel J. Smith
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.92
102 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Results, Oct. 6 2000
I purchased this book in order to learn to quickly recognize criticism and manipulation. I was always getting very defensive or extremely angry at criticism. It was my hope to learn how to not allow the biting words of others affect me so greatly. I was always devastated when someone disapproved of me. It was always important to me that everyone's opinion of me had to agree with mine, or I had to convince them of my opinion.
While reading this book, I discovered that I was not always the one being criticised and manipulated. MY EXTREME DESIRED TO BE APPROVED OF MADE ME A CRITICISER AND MANIPULATOR ALSO. This huge character flaw of mine could explain why I have not been able to have a successful love relationship. This was truly an eye opening book for me. Thank you Mr. Manuel J. Smith.