countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools
Profile for Book addict > Reviews

Content by Book addict

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Book addict (Canada)

Country Legends
Country Legends
Offered by Gray Fox,
Price: CDN$ 53.57
4 used & new from CDN$ 53.57

5.0 out of 5 stars This is some of the best music I have heard in a long, July 20 2016
This review is from: Country Legends (Audio CD)
This is some of the best music I have heard in a long, long time. The harmonies are outstanding, and the genre is refreshing, to say the least. I just find this music uplifting, and have to caution myself when putting in these CDs on a road trip as it is easy to become heavy-footed!

The Last to Die: Ronald Turpin, Arthur Lucas, and the End of Capital Punishment in Canada
by Robert J. Hoshowsky
Price: CDN$ 19.84
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an excellent and informative book, July 20 2016
This was an excellent and informative book. It reminds us that any approaches to social justice should, to be effective and lasting, be multifaceted and using interventions that begin in early childhood. However, it stimulates thinking as to whether it was judicious to remove the death penalty in entirety, given our knowledge about predators such as Homolka, Bernardo, Pickton, etc.

The Gift of Fear
The Gift of Fear
by Gavin De Becker
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.11
83 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be required reading for all parents and ..., July 20 2016
This book should be required reading for all parents and anyone working with children, including social workers daycare personnel, and more. This is so comprehensive and yet so rational that it is truly compelling. Additionally, it reminds us to nurture our instincts rather than negative them, potentially saving lives (maybe even our own).

Take Up the Shield: Comparing the Uniform of the Police Officer & the Armor of God
by Tony Miano
Price: CDN$ 14.23
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A handbook for Christians and ministers, Jan. 31 2011
I must say this was a thoroughly satisfying book to read. I am an ordained minister, and this is a fine tool to have on hand in order to reach police officers (or laypersons), whether as a resource to leave with them, or simply as an informational guide. (One of the most appealing parts of the book is that the author starts with his own spiritual journey: straight up, just as you would expect from an honest police officer.) The comparisons with a police officer's armor to the armor biblically defined in Ephesians is inspired and, given that this writing comes from a police officer/chaplain, this alone "ups" the credibility factor.

I believe this book will also appeal to those (Christian or not) of faith who have a sensitive conscience but realize we should have higher expectations for human behavior. For example, if trying to balance kindness, compassion, and forgiveness with the more physical, or [seemingly] uncompromising aspects of police work, this book can support the calling of policing in a brand new way. There are some perfect examples of this in the book; one of which is exemplified when a fellow is "caught" and handcuffed, but says to Tony (and I must paraphrase and leave out the page number as I already lent out this book!), "Hey, great...you're a chaplain! You'll forgive me [let me go], right?" And Tony answers, "Oh, I forgive you already. You're just experiencing the consequences of your actions!"

For all those who love justice, respect policing, and want to hear a balanced Christian perspective about justice and/or consequences, this is THE book to read to establish and confirm one's respect for a sensible mix of justice, law and Christianity.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality poster, Aug. 24 2010
This poster arrived in excellent condition, indicating that it was packed with care (and that delights me). Also, it is larger than I thought it would be, and my special needs daughter is very happy to have Zac as a door decoration for her room.

Bones: The Complete Fourth Season
Bones: The Complete Fourth Season
Price: CDN$ 16.97
18 used & new from CDN$ 14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Forensics and flirtations, May 31 2010
This is Bones "heating up," professionally AND personally. While I still miss the young genius Zach, it is immense fun to watch all the other long term characters develop a true comfort in their various roles. What makes this most interesting [for me] is the forensic information inserted into each episode, providing a most useful way to spend time while being fully entertained!