Profile for Book addict > Reviews

Content by Book addict

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Book addict (Canada)

Take Up The Shield: COMPARING THE UNIFORM OF THE POLICE OFFICER & THE ARMOR OF GOD
by TONY MIANO
Price: CDN$ 10.78
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.08

4.0 out of 5 stars A handbook for Christians and ministers, Jan. 31 2011
I must say this was a thoroughly satisfying book to read. I am an ordained minister, and this is a fine tool to have on hand in order to reach police officers (or laypersons), whether as a resource to leave with them, or simply as an informational guide. (One of the most appealing parts of the book is that the author starts with his own spiritual journey: straight up, just as you would expect from an honest police officer.) The comparisons with a police officer's armor to the armor biblically defined in Ephesians is inspired and, given that this writing comes from a police officer/chaplain, this alone "ups" the credibility factor.

I believe this book will also appeal to those (Christian or not) of faith who have a sensitive conscience but realize we should have higher expectations for human behavior. For example, if trying to balance kindness, compassion, and forgiveness with the more physical, or [seemingly] uncompromising aspects of police work, this book can support the calling of policing in a brand new way. There are some perfect examples of this in the book; one of which is exemplified when a fellow is "caught" and handcuffed, but says to Tony (and I must paraphrase and leave out the page number as I already lent out this book!), "Hey, great...you're a chaplain! You'll forgive me [let me go], right?" And Tony answers, "Oh, I forgive you already. You're just experiencing the consequences of your actions!"

For all those who love justice, respect policing, and want to hear a balanced Christian perspective about justice and/or consequences, this is THE book to read to establish and confirm one's respect for a sensible mix of justice, law and Christianity.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality poster, Aug. 24 2010
This poster arrived in excellent condition, indicating that it was packed with care (and that delights me). Also, it is larger than I thought it would be, and my special needs daughter is very happy to have Zac as a door decoration for her room.

Bones: The Complete Fourth Season
Bones: The Complete Fourth Season
Price: CDN$ 15.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Forensics and flirtations, May 31 2010
This is Bones "heating up," professionally AND personally. While I still miss the young genius Zach, it is immense fun to watch all the other long term characters develop a true comfort in their various roles. What makes this most interesting [for me] is the forensic information inserted into each episode, providing a most useful way to spend time while being fully entertained!