countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Lillian > Reviews

Content by Lillian

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lillian (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Cut Resistant Safety Cutting Gloves for Kitchen, Home and Work Use, -Grey
Cut Resistant Safety Cutting Gloves for Kitchen, Home and Work Use, -Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars feel light on the skin, July 12 2016
These cut-resistant, stretch fabric gloves really do fit all sizes – I have “medium” sized female hands, my husband has “large”… the gloves fit us both – with a little excess on the finger length for me (I don’t do long nails), but a little short on the finger web area on my husband (who is 6’2”), however he found that he could force the web area down and in a few minutes the fabric loosened up a bit and fit well enough that he thought he could use them. Upon research however, I learned that when these types of gloves are stretched to fit larger hands they are not as cut-resistant. Whereas loose fitting gloves can be a hazard when it comes to using motorized equipment that might grab the cloth and wrench the hand.

The gloves feel light on the skin, and were thin enough that we could really feel what we were doing in the kitchen. I think these gloves would be fantastic for people who work with box-cutters on a regular basis, or for anyone who works with sharpening tools, garden tools, etc. Save time, reduce cuts, scrapes and bruises from clumsy handling of virtually any kind of non-powered tool commonly found around the home or garage.

For myself, I think they will be most handy when it comes to grating, zesting citrus fruits, and peeling items (the activities that I tend to get a little knick). The stretch cuff is about 3” long and therefore goes way up the wrist area – where I’m less likely to cut or scrape my hands, and as such I think the cuffs are a little excessive for my needs. I was a little concerned that the cloth would be unsanitary over time, even with frequent washings, or that using the gloves for all foods could contaminate with unwanted flavors, or color from juices. I think the best way of avoiding that would be to wear one glove for things like onion and garlic and then wear the other for things like beets or cherries. Another possible setback is that these gloves need to be hung to dry, they are not to be put in the dryer machine - so that means a lot of wait time before they would be available to use again. That makes me think that using one glove at a time might prove more practical.

The 1.9 oz. gloves are rated as high-performance, food grade (CE Level 5), and are machine washable (hang to dry). There wasn’t any information on the type of cloth or coating that might have been used in the manufacturing process. And - unfortunately, these gloves are made in China, which means a greater chance of poor work conditions and much more environmental impact in regards to shipping (fossil fuels). However, the gloves did arrive with minimal packaging, encased in a single, sealed plastic envelope (recyclable). I think consumers will also appreciate the 100%, 100-day, money back guarantee offered by Eldhus. "Eldhus", but the way is an Icelandic word that translates to: "kitchen"... although the relevancy of the Icelandic theme is not explained since the product is made in China - perhaps the company is based in Iceland but has the manufacturing done in China, but that is just a guess. It could, perhaps, also be a marketing tool to detract attention from being made in China. The main issue with where it is manufactured, for me, comes in the form of equal rights and in the form of environmental impact (fossil fuels/shipping, etc.).

Checked Out
Checked Out
Price: CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars corrupt workplace, interpersonal sabotage, courtroom scenes, and underground crime, July 9 2016
This review is from: Checked Out (Kindle Edition)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review: Recently, Randee Feldmen of Get Noticed PR approached me with the opportunity to review their client’s new novel. It is always a pleasure to work with Randee and I have to say it was a nice surprise to discover a personal note of appreciation from the author, who expressed sincere gratitude for my time and effort in reviewing his product.

Checked Out (by Daniel Harris) is an appropriate title for this 268-page who-dun-it novel based around a corporate grocery store chain setting. Russell Riley continues as the lead character in the action-adventure, murder-mystery series (the first book being: Blood Feud).

For my reading tastes, this book starts out pretty slow, and takes a while to get into the action – I felt there was, perhaps, a little too much background and scene setting, however for those of you interested in the behind the scenes decision making that goes on in corporate settings – the opening chapters would be right up your alley.

I won’t give away the plot, but basically Riley, having proven himself in the grocery chain industry, is given the chance to take over the position that was made available through an unfortunate murder. As CEO he holds a lot of power, determining the success or failure of the grocery chain. As you probably guess, there’s some detective aspect to the storyline as well… and as with most books in this genre – there’s the gorgeous dame who uses her wares to both distract and dismiss the people around her. Cap that off with a corrupt workplace, interpersonal sabotage, courtroom scenes, and underground crime in the busy little city of Providence, Rhode Island (USA).

Besides writing this 2-book series (so far), Daniel is also a world-travelled veteran and retired corporate headhunter. He has published 2 other short stories as well as 2 more novels, including: Goodbye Dearie (love story) and another murder mystery Capital Crimes. All of these books are available at Amazon.com, BarnesAndNobel.com, Apple itunes and Google Play. The price for Checked Out ranges from around $15.95 for paperback, $30.95 for hardcover, to $7.64 for e-book.

Sherlock Holmes and The Sword of Osman
Sherlock Holmes and The Sword of Osman

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, Oct. 16 2015
This novel has Sherlock and John traveling abroad to represent the crown’s interest by wooing, protecting and detecting for someone they don’t particularly like. While the theme of the missing royal sword and betrayal where you least expect it, the author interwove an early 19th century Ottoman Empire royalty romance that will leave some readers (like this one) shaking their heads. Yet despite all this, I found myself wanting more… the story-line seemed disjointed somehow, combined with the author’s overly descriptive writing style – it certainly left a taste of yearning that one feels with unfinished work. I’m sure other readers will salivate over the scene descriptions; this is truly only my personal opinion. That aside, I did truly enjoy the relationship Tim created between the lead characters – watching them interact, finding humor in surprising places and “hearing” John Watson’s voice in my head as he narrated the story.
The book made me very curious about the Ottoman Empire so I looked it up online to find that there are many similarities between the historical facts and buildings, and Tim’s story. He obviously did immense research for this book and he pays tribute to some of the real people that once existed in the Notes From The Author section near the end of the book. You’ll also find a glossary of some of the lingo used in this book via the Lexicon section at the end of the book.
The author, Tim Symonds, was born in London although he spent some of his life in Canada, the US and Africa as well. He holds a degree in Political Science and is a Fellow with the Royal Geographical Society (people considered to be achievers are awarded this honor).

Mrs. Hudson in New York
Mrs. Hudson in New York
by Barry S Brown
Price: CDN$ 21.77
19 used & new from CDN$ 9.05

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed, Oct. 16 2015
I was offered a sample of this product for review purposes on my blog, here is an excerpt of that article: …I truly enjoyed reading this book – and what made it stand out among other Sherlock works is that Mrs. Hudson is a detective, and not just any detective, but an owner of the agency of which Sherlock (a chemist by trade) and John Watson not only act as fronts, but are also serious detectives. Sherlock and John hold a deep respect for Mrs. Hudson, the brains behind the mysteries they choose to solve and the founder of the company itself. In this novel, the three work together to solve a crime that happens soon after they embark on a journey to the US to attend a wedding involving distant members of Mrs. Hudson’s family. It was interesting to witness their comradely and enjoy the humor intricately laced in this late 19th century who-done-it tale. Watch for appearances of other famous and factual characters to appear in the story-line.
Interestingly, the book didn’t have an author bio and upon searching the publisher’s site… I couldn’t find anything there either. However, after doing a search online I found out that Barry’s book is the 4th in a series titled the “Mrs. Hudson of Baker Street” mysteries. Beyond this series, the author has written 2 non-fiction books, works of poetry and many papers on the research conducted his professional life where he dealt in treatment and strategies for mental health and drug abuse, among other issues. He currently resides in North Carolina (US).

Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of the Final Problem
Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of the Final Problem
by Petr Kopl
Price: CDN$ 22.18
20 used & new from CDN$ 8.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Sept. 16 2015
I truly enjoyed reading this book – the art is really quite striking and yet humorous without taking away from the story-line… which I won’t tell you about as I don’t want to spoil it for you! I will tell you, however, that this book is part of a series of 8 graphic novels in the author’s Victora Regina series.

This artistic book was created by Petr Kopl – a caring author and accomplished artist who ended the book with a brief explanation of the reasons behind his creation of the book, a bit of history of the famous story the book (and original author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) is based on and some interesting data that readers new to Petr Kopl would certainly find interesting. Petr enticed his regular listeners to search for a few characters he had created in other publications in the scenes created for this book. He also poses a few mysteries for the readers to solve for themselves – which had me going back and reading the book a second time just to solve the mysteries. I feel comfortable stating this book will find a secure resting spot on our book shelves for the near future.

Sherlock Holmes - Tangled Skeins: Stories from the Notebooks of Dr. John H. Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyed, Sept. 2 2015
I was offered a sample of this product for review purposes on my blog, here is an excerpt of that article: ...I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of 5 stories. The word skeins in the title, by the way, means a tangle or coil often used in describing things like yarn and hair, but it has also been used to describe lies and tales. The book starts out with the author describing his real life passion for Sherlock, how he became associated with the famous Sherlock cap and then trickles into the realm of fantasy where he mentions his real-life pilgrimage but then meets with a stranger who passes on notes taken by John Watson and then decides to honor these notes by editing and publishing them in this collection. It was a fantastic opening for the book. My favorite of the 5 was the last one –The Gower Street Murder.

X-Shade - Car Sunshade Grande Jumbo - Car Windshield Sun Shade - Retractable, Folding and Pop Up Style Auto Shades - Silver/Black - 1 Piece
Offered by O&T Success
Price: CDN$ 14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the size, shape, the case... everything!, Aug. 26 2015
I was offered a sample of this product for review purposes on my blog, here is an excerpt of that article: …When traveling and you have your pets with you a helpful tip is to blast the air conditioner as much as possible while you find a shady place to park. It is helpful if you can back into a shady parking spot, so the shade protects the back windows. Be sure to pour a bowl of water for the pets, and set up the blind to block out the sun in the front windshield. If you can, put up some baby blind sunshields on the side windows too. And try to be away from the vehicle for no more than 15 minutes. This has proved very helpful when we are traveling with our pets and both of us have to go in; otherwise one of us would stay in the vehicle where we could open doors and windows if it got too hot. For those of us who have to park outside at work or at the grocery store you can certainly feel much more comfortable with a blind like this at work, not only protecting your vehicle from the onslaught of the sun but also to prevent visual access to the front of your car (if thieves can’t easily see inside they are less likely to break in). With a sunshade blind like this you will no longer have the inconvenience of trying to drive with a hot steering wheel or sitting down in a pair of shorts or bathing suit on a burning hot seat.
The first thing that appealed to me was the attractive silver case for the blind – it is really quite small, round and is very easy to store in the vehicle without taking up even half the space that our old reflective one did. Also, the case does not attract pet hair – another plus. It is nice to know that the screen will always be safe from damage like scratches or pokes from things in the vehicle and it will always be clean each time we bring it out to use it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2015 5:31 AM PST

No Better Place: Arthur Conan Doyle, Windlesham and Communication with the Other Side
by Formerly Reader in History and Philosophy of Science and Technology Alistair Duncan
Price: CDN$ 25.98
20 used & new from CDN$ 16.12

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed learning about Doyle's life, Aug. 23 2015
I was offered a sample of this product for review purposes on my blog, here is an excerpt of that article: The book was written in a dry, not very entertaining way going from date to date like a calendar or journal. I felt there were a lot of blanks and unexplained areas where the author would mention something but not complete the information on it. I also found many grammatical errors ' one blatant mistake in a sentence quoted here: 'has hasn't have' 'as if they couldn't decide on the tense of the word so included them all. lol Another error I noticed throughout was the term 'entitled'' you are entitled to something if you earned it' but the name of a book or term paper or article would be 'titled' such and such. The author kept saying the book or article was entitled this or that. That got annoying after a while since the word was so repetitively used in the book. The author's introduction to the book also mentioned that he felt he had to touch on Doyle's interest in spiritualism but didn't want to focus on it' yet it seemed to me that about 30% of the book focused on that topic.

That said I truly enjoyed learning about Mr. Doyle as a man. I had no idea he was so proficient at billiards and cricket or that he was so involved in many causes, unjust judicial court cases, unjust happenings in other countries, helping with Olympic events' it seemed he truly left a positive mark with his life, righting wrongs where ever he went and supporting causes he believed in. This book details the last 23 years of his life from 1907' 1930.

The author, Alistair Duncan, has been a Sherlock enthusiast for many years and has written several other books including Eliminate The Impossible, Close To Holmes, The Norwood Author and An Entirely New Country. Believe it or not ' there is a group known as The Sherlock Holmes Society, The Conan Doyle Establishment, and The Sydney Passengers' all of which the author is a member of.

Omega-3 Supreme Fish Oil For Brain and Heart Health. Pharmaceutical Grade +75% 1050mg Omega-3s. 644/336 NON-GMO, NO Fish-Burps Improved Absorption | Molecular Distilled, PCB/Toxin Free (180 ct (s))

4.0 out of 5 stars quality, natural, no additives, well tested, sustainably harvested, Aug. 14 2015
Most North Americans are not getting enough of the good fats (omega 3, 6, 9, etc) and it is wise to take a supplement of these nutrients when you can. Omega’s are essential to a number of bodily functions including: healthy heart, circulation, cholesterol levels, reduces inflammation, improves immune system, reduces stress, aides emotional imbalance, brain and joint support, healthy skin, etc.
I received this product as a review project for my blog, here is an excerpt of my review:
...Each bottle contains 180 soft-gel capsules offering 1,400 mg fish oil – 75% omega-e’s (644 mg DHA & 336 mg. EPa). The instructions are to take 2 pills per day with a meal – each serving (2 pills) is about 14 calories and has 1% protein. The capsules are enteric coated for maximum absorption and reduced burps or aftertaste. The company claims to have a higher pharmaceutical grade of concentrated Omega 3’s than their competitors on the market.
Ingredients are: fish oil, gelatin, glycerine, food glaze, water and the enteric coating.
The product contains no GMO, gluten, egg, additives, filler, binder, artificial ingredients, soy, milk, peanut, shellfish, stearate, sulfate, dioxide or laurate. ...The highly concentrated pharmaceutical grade, refined and tested for toxins and impurities, sustainably harvested wild Alaskan caught Pollock fish oil is manufactured in the USA under FDA, GMP, MSC and NSF certification. The molecularly distilled capsules ensure that you are getting the lowest peroxide and p-anisdine levels on the market. ...The design of the soft-gel capsules was, for me, not as easy to swallow as the company reported them to be. While smaller than most omega supplements they are quite round – as opposed to tapered, and that caused them to stick in my throat.

Swim Goggles for Women - Men's Swimming Goggles - Kids Swimming Goggles with Soft and Durable Silicone Head Strap - Anti Fog Technology Mens Swim Suit Goggles and FastFit System - Goggles for Indoor and Open Swimming - Blue
Offered by O&T Success
Price: CDN$ 16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars love love love them, Aug. 6 2015
These are the best goggles I have seen on the market – with anti-fog coating on the inside of the high-density polycarbonate lenses, 100% UV protection, and 2 elastic-like rubber (or perhaps silicone) headband straps that are easily adjusted …but be careful that you don’t stretch it and let go or you’ll hurt yourself. They were a little tight when I first tried them although I didn’t notice right away, as I was too excited to get in the water… also, the lenses have very comfortable elastomer-foam cushioning gaskets. I swam with fins on for a good 20 minutes and truly enjoyed the experience. I especially liked that whenever I popped my head up to check on Dave and the dogs on the beach, there wasn’t any glare involved – these things act like sunglasses. It was interesting to view the different perception through the glasses, looking at the lake bottom was like being in a bowl but as you swam closer to the edge of your vision the bowl shape continued. It wasn’t all that noticeable, however with the rocks and such on the lake bottom I could see it more easily than a person would in a commercial pool. These high-quality goggles would make it through surfing, waterpark and water ski activities but were divine for my weekend lake therapy… no matter how clear the water is or how choppy the waves are. You may even find them useful for backyard water gun fights.
The 2 head straps are easily adjustable to fit the size and shape of the head, securely fastening the goggles leaving you with both comfort and confidence. While this does come with interchangeable nose pieces (small, medium and large) I kept the medium one that it came assembled with on.
While I did receive this pair of goggles as a review project - I absolutely loved them – and fully intend to purchase a pair in a few days for my husband to use as well, although Dave will likely want to switch over to the large nose piece.
*Instructions for changing the nose piece (medium is already installed on the goggles) http://gogglx.com/blog/2015/02/25/swimming-goggles-how-to-change-nose-piece/
One of the perks with these goggles is their size (150 X 42 X 47 mm.). The hard, clear plastic case (182 X 54 X 52 mm.), which has a strong lid and durable hinge, really can fit into a shirt pocket, and can safely store in any glove box or RV or boat storage box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2015 5:27 AM PST