Profile for Mashenka > Reviews

Content by Mashenka

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mashenka (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., May 6 2014
Everytime I re-read it I uncover more valuable lessons on how mindfulness and Buddhist wisdom transform the human mind. It provided me with so much insight into the methods of dealing with life's difficulties. There is a poetic quality to it that is just so beautiful and uplifting.

Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good variety of exercises..., May 6 2014
There are approximately 20 exercises and the rest of them are variations. It has a short section on workout plans and even a shorter one on nutrition. He spent way too much time boasting about his amazing plan and saying that anything else is ineffective. He says that gyms are a waste of money and that trainers are incompetent. I think I was more annoyed by his arrogance and contempt then by the lack of variety of exercises.

Keep Calm and Get Fit: 150 Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do At Home For The Perfect Total Body Workout
Price: CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value !, May 6 2014
For each exercise there is a photo and a description. It also includes few pages of workout styles and plans. This is a minimal, straight-to-the-point bodyweight exercise book.

Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go
Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go
Price: CDN$ 11.08

5.0 out of 5 stars It is all about letting go..., Aug. 20 2013
The book was enlivening and I could not believe how many times I had "that is so true" moments. It felt as if my favorite art teacher was speaking to me. Three main obstacles that he constantly revisits are : struggling with bringing a concept to life, emotional blockage and impatience. He explains why it is important to find the source of our creative expression in our personal life experience and how ideas can emerge just by working with materials. He points out how important being patient is, that struggle is necessary and that constant working is the only way to achieve better results. As he likes to paint in expressive manner, he also focuses on how our emotions, our ego can have a big impact on our art. He suggests to approach art as child approaches it, without judgement, without fear, without preconceptions but just letting yourself go...
I can't praise this book enough as it really transformed me and my approach to artistic expression.

Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
by Joan Bunning
Price: CDN$ 16.62
42 used & new from CDN$ 7.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok as an introduction, Feb. 24 2006
This is a first book I consulted on tarot. It is a good introduction to the tarot world however when it came to the card descriptions I found it uninspiring. Each card has a very brief description and lot of keywords or short phrases that you need to end up memorizing as if it was a science formula. In other words, the text is "dry". I bought the Rider-Waite deck because she was using the same and I've found it hard to connect intuitively to the cards. This deck is complex, rich in symbolism and metaphors and as she was providing a general description without paying attention to the particular aspects of each card I found it difficult to link the cards with the meaning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3