Profile for Mashenka > Reviews

Content by Mashenka
Top Reviewer Ranking: 923

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mashenka (Canada)

Edition: Cards
Price: CDN$ 24.14
24 used & new from CDN$ 24.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic artwork, June 12 2014
This review is from: The Steampunk Tarot (Cards)
I give the artwork 5/5 but I find that the companion book does not tell a good story to deepen the meaning of each card. I know Rider-Waite deck and that helped a lot to connect with this deck.
I noticed that for me, this tarot works great for only the following topics : career and finance.
The majority of the cards convey intellectual curiosity, creativity, materialism and action. I feel that the tarot emanates the energy of Wands the most, then equally the energy of Swords and Pentacles. The energy of Cups is barely felt. This is why I found it hard to use them for relationship readings.
What is very interesting is that the majority of deck has female characters and I really loved the fact that these characters look strong, independent and intelligent in comparison to a typical portrayal of female characters among some other decks looking overly sexual or being too passive.

The Victorian Fairy Tarot
The Victorian Fairy Tarot
by Lunaea Weatherstone
Edition: Cards
Price: CDN$ 22.40
22 used & new from CDN$ 22.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic artwork, June 12 2014
This review is from: The Victorian Fairy Tarot (Cards)
The deck is amazing to look at. In addition, the companion book elaborates wonderfully by telling inspiring, imaginative tales depicted in each card.
When I look at the whole deck I find that the cards evoke a sense of wonder, innocence and a deep connection to the world . There is joy in almost every single card and they make me think of my family or of a caring community, of the wonders of the physical and spiritual side of nature and how we are all interconnected. They tell me that life is what it is, beautiful, dangerous, exciting, and that it is important to live with an open and curious mind. I see this deck being used in readings regarding family, social life, lifestyle and self-development.

Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food
by Susan Albers
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., May 6 2014
A small book rich in examples, methods and inspirational quotes. It is engaging, motivational, meditative, poetic and the writing flows effortlessly.

Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
Price: CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Less is so much more!, May 6 2014
A mix of philosophy, poetry and practicality. A book that saved me money, time and gave me a piece of mind.

Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World
Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., May 6 2014
It explores mindfulness and the ways to achieve it in order to alleviate anxiety, stress or impulsiveness. This is a great workbook that helps appease an overwhelmed mind and to find clarity and peace.

Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., May 6 2014
Everytime I re-read it I uncover more valuable lessons on how mindfulness and Buddhist wisdom transform the human mind. It provided me with so much insight into the methods of dealing with life's difficulties. There is a poetic quality to it that is just so beautiful and uplifting.

Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good variety of exercises..., May 6 2014
There are approximately 20 exercises and the rest of them are variations. It has a short section on workout plans and even a shorter one on nutrition. He spent way too much time boasting about his amazing plan and saying that anything else is ineffective. He says that gyms are a waste of money and that trainers are incompetent. I think I was more annoyed by his arrogance and contempt then by the lack of variety of exercises.

Keep Calm and Get Fit: 150 Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do At Home For The Perfect Total Body Workout
Price: CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value !, May 6 2014
For each exercise there is a photo and a description. It also includes few pages of workout styles and plans. This is a minimal, straight-to-the-point bodyweight exercise book.

Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go
Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go
Price: CDN$ 14.55

5.0 out of 5 stars It is all about letting go..., Aug. 20 2013
The book was enlivening and I could not believe how many times I had "that is so true" moments. It felt as if my favorite art teacher was speaking to me. Three main obstacles that he constantly revisits are : struggling with bringing a concept to life, emotional blockage and impatience. He explains why it is important to find the source of our creative expression in our personal life experience and how ideas can emerge just by working with materials. He points out how important being patient is, that struggle is necessary and that constant working is the only way to achieve better results. As he likes to paint in expressive manner, he also focuses on how our emotions, our ego can have a big impact on our art. He suggests to approach art as child approaches it, without judgement, without fear, without preconceptions but just letting yourself go...
I can't praise this book enough as it really transformed me and my approach to artistic expression.

Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
by Joan Bunning
Price: CDN$ 21.84
40 used & new from CDN$ 21.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok as an introduction, Feb. 24 2006
This is a first book I consulted on tarot. It is a good introduction to the tarot world however when it came to the card descriptions I found it uninspiring. Each card has a very brief description and lot of keywords or short phrases that you need to end up memorizing as if it was a science formula. In other words, the text is "dry". I bought the Rider-Waite deck because she was using the same and I've found it hard to connect intuitively to the cards. This deck is complex, rich in symbolism and metaphors and as she was providing a general description without paying attention to the particular aspects of each card I found it difficult to link the cards with the meaning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3