Profile for Marlene > Reviews

Content by Marlene

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Marlene (Calgary)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Veiled Revenge: A Crime of Fashion Mystery
Veiled Revenge: A Crime of Fashion Mystery
by Ellen Byerrum
Price: CDN$ 8.99
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another mysterious adventure with Lacey, Feb. 10 2013
Well you never know what to expect when you get a new adventure with Lacey. Obviously we knew that this would deal with Stella's wedding and the shawl from the authors description of plot. But it was full of twists and turns keeping you guessing who the villain was and if there would be a wedding. What a surprise about the villain I had thought it would be someone else! But a worthy opponent and a crafty one. I think one of my favorite parts is a party that takes place on Lacey's balcony. Just a charming moment in time. What is frustrating is that Lacey's relationship news hasn't moved forward in the book really so we are having to wait for next book on that. I did love Vic's moms idea about diamonds though. Love the way the author integrates all the characters into the book including those two adorable girls. In summary Lacey has her hands full in this book trying to keep Stellas wedding on track, find the shawl, track down the villain, and stay alive. She really does need a gps on her at all times. However as usual Lacey does manage to wrap everything up. This book will keep you turning pages fast to keep up with all the action though I must admit I got tired of Stella's emotions at times . If there is one thing any character in this series should learn is that if you find true love you take it and enjoy it as life is precious.

Bonnie of Evidence
Bonnie of Evidence
by Maddy Hunter
Price: CDN$ 12.64
28 used & new from CDN$ 7.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing adventure, Feb. 3 2013
This review is from: Bonnie of Evidence (Paperback)
This is an author that I eagerly await each book - it cannot come fast enough. Weekly would be good. Anyway this adventure takes place in Scotland. The author does a very good job juggling a travel tour, characters, humor and a mystery til the very end. I was kept in suspense til the end about who did it. It is always fun exploring the world with this author and enjoying the characters and mystery along the way. Great way to enjoy a couple of hours. Highly recommended for armchair travellers.

The Descendants
The Descendants
Price: CDN$ 7.91
29 used & new from CDN$ 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars seriously awesome, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: The Descendants (Audio CD)
While I enjoyed the movie and scenery I loved the soundtrack. Awesome. Takes me right back there. For anyone who loves Hawaii or its music this cd is a must buy. I have played it for others and they share the opinion as well and I've given it as a gift too. It has received lots of play in my home. Currently my favorite Hawaii cd. Buy it and close your eyes you will be transported to the islands. There is no higher praise I can give it. If you buy only one cd of Hawaiian music I'd choose this one. I have others though...

Streets of San Francisco: Season Five - Vol. 1 & 2 - Two Pack
Streets of San Francisco: Season Five - Vol. 1 & 2 - Two Pack
Price: CDN$ 66.78
19 used & new from CDN$ 57.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Good not great - miss Michael Douglas, Jan. 16 2013
Season 5 while still in San Francisco and still with Karl Malden isn't the same as the dynamic duo of past seasons. You really notice it. Richard Hatch while good doesn't have the chemistry with Karl Malden that Michael Douglas had and it shows. The plots are still pretty good so it isn' the writing it is the delivery of the lines in Hatch case. So still good to watch but don't expect to enjoy it quite as much. But that could just be my personal opinion and others may disagree and find it equally enjoyable. I wish they had paid Michael Douglas anything he wanted to finish the show in Season 5. But that said I'm just grateful to be able to see and enjoy Season 5.

Farewell, Miss Zukas
Farewell, Miss Zukas
by Jo Dereske
Price: CDN$ 12.92
22 used & new from CDN$ 10.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely way to end the series, Jan. 6 2013
This review is from: Farewell, Miss Zukas (Paperback)
Well I love Miss Zukas mysteries and was sad when it seemed they just ended. I really missed new books in the series. So I was delightfully surprised to find a new book in this series a while ago. I thought I had written a review but didn't it seemed. As much as I did not want the series to end I admire the author for closing the chapter on this character and family in a way that fans could enjoy. I didn't read all the other reviews but my opinion is after reading all the books again which I do as I love the series this book is a must for any fan of this author. Lots of changes ahead for Miss Z and her family. This book was finely crafted in my opinion to weave a mystery that also tied to heritage and her family. I don't want to give too much away but a crime is committed and there is a death and naturally because it affects her family Miss Z is very concerned and wants answers. In the midst of all this there are lots of developments in the library, with her family, her romantic life and even involving her cat. Highly recommended if you love this series about a charming librarian character and her quirky friend, coworkers and family. Oh and while some may say Helma the main character - librarian Miss Zukas is a straightlaced librarian and therefore must be boring - she is much more than that with some hidden talents and skills. If you haven't read this series give it a try. It is a light mystery but the books keep you guessing.

Christmas In The Sand
Christmas In The Sand
Price: CDN$ 8.00
30 used & new from CDN$ 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new christmas cd, Dec 18 2012
This review is from: Christmas In The Sand (Audio CD)
I am always on the lookout for a good christmas cd. And when you put Sand in the title I'm hooked as that is where I want to be!! Ah the dream....

Anyway thought she did a great new cd. My least favorite is the Brad Paisley duet but maybe it will grow on me. My favorites are Christmas in the Sand, Every day is Christmas, Mistletoe and Happy Christmas. But it is generally just a great cd you can put in the cd player and sit back and relax. Would recommend it for any Colbie fan or someone who likes easy listening relaxing christmas music.

Killer Librarian
Killer Librarian
by Mary Lou Kirwin
Price: CDN$ 9.49
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, Dec 18 2012
I was hooked by the title and intrigued by the description on website. I was not disappointed., I expected a light mystery and that is what I got. I thought the author was very creative in the plot and the twists along the way. Others appear to disagree. Individual taste. But I enjoyed her journey to London and area, the extra characters, book hunting, her love of books and how everything develops. There are a couple mysterious deaths. I don't want to give too many details as the summary already gives you a good idea what happens. But I loved how the book ended with some twists and I cannot wait until the next one! I'd recommend it for anyone who likes a light mystery but hope they do keep some travel aspect to it but I love the book /library aspect as well.

Celebrity In Death
Celebrity In Death
by J. D. Robb
Price: CDN$ 23.60
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but still a great read!, Feb. 25 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death (Hardcover)
I agree with others who have reviewed this book that it is a different kind of book than the fast action pace (racing around the world, chasing bombs, villains) in some of the series books of this author but it is still exciting and captivating. That said I think this is one of my favorite books of the series. I liked the change of pace. I think it is a good way to show the characters a bit more personal and how they are coping with the past and moving on. It is still a very good mystery in that you really don't know who did it until it is revealed then it all makes sense. I love that this series shows how they unravel it and let you see the way the case develops and evidence is gathered.One point in the book where they meet the brother of one of the deceased was very moving and revealing. It gave insight into the character. It was also an interesting look at celebrity and image and reality. I don't have much to say negatively - but I do have one wish in that before they arrested the villain I could have seen them track down more about his financial dealings and evidence about his past crimes. But the book leaves you wanting more and very satisfied overall so it is worth every penny to buy and read. I highly recommend it. It is hard to put down so be prepared and don't start reading it late at night!! Oh and I love the way the author weaves the personal side of Eve's life into the book - with her friends, her husband etc. It really rounds out the book not to mention gives a few chuckles like when Eve is faced with a baby and when she gets gifts (cool ones!). Love the characters, can't stop reading the books and now waiting anxiously for next one!

Death on Heels (Crime of Fashion, Book 8)
Death on Heels (Crime of Fashion, Book 8)
by Ellen Byerrum
Price: CDN$ 8.54
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fun adventure with Lacey! Hang onto your boots, Feb. 16 2012
Wow - you know I was a bit skeptical when I heard it was going to be in Colorado as I'm pretty keen on her usual locale but I should know better - I loved the corset one where they travelled around. Like Vic I was a bit leery of her leaving for Colorado about an old beau. But as usual she got right into the chaos pretty fast by being kidnapped by her former beau/aka suspect. When she was with her former beau I got a little sidetracked and wondered how is this going to work out.She finds a clue. Well soon she was back with Vic and on the trail of a rather ruthless murderer who no one really was looking for since they assumed they had their guy. It took Lacey to come up with a common demoninator and that leads her to the killer (with a clue from her former beau). Mac and Tony come riding into town to save Lacey and end up with a great story for their paper as they tag along on her man hunt. A big surprise for Lacey along the way from Vic and a very good ending. Cannot wait for more! Seriously I wish there was a new one a month. But like other authors I love it was worth the wait. A real page turner....

Deader Homes and Gardens: A Claire Malloy Mystery
Deader Homes and Gardens: A Claire Malloy Mystery
by Joan Hess
Price: CDN$ 23.19
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, Feb. 16 2012
Well I am always anxiously awaiting the new works of my favorite authors and I love Claire Malloy mysteries. It was worth the wait. She really roped me into this one quick. Starts out just like a house search but then she falls into a mystery and more and more odd circumstances. Naturally she cannot help but try to figure it out as she thinks it will help them get the house they want. I was surprised by a couple of events and she kept me guessing to the very end which was very satisfactory. I really enjoy the fact that her daughter and friend Inez are old enough to really be of great assistance and how they help a young girl in the story. Claire gets herself into sticky situations but somehow manages to get herself out. I also really like the way her new marriage is worked into the mystery too. It seems realistic not just as a sideline. Overall excellent and I will reread it again soon. More please!!! :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3