Profile for Mili Fay > Reviews

Content by Mili Fay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mili Fay

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Scarecrow's Dance
The Scarecrow's Dance
by Jane Yolen
Price: CDN$ 15.87
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Artwork, Perfect Bedtime Story, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: The Scarecrow's Dance (Hardcover)
Beautiful. A story about a scarecrow inspired by the wind to dance. But anyone can dance, only a scarecrow can protect a field. ;-)

The story is simple and written in rhyme. The rhythm of the words is soothing. I think this will make a perfect bedtime story.

The illustrations are beautiful. They carry the sentiment of the story. Each one is a painting to be enjoyed at leisure. However, each one is also full of movement and grace. The staging is phenomenal. I think this illustrator may have been an animator, or at the very least a film buff.

Chasing Degas
Chasing Degas
by Eva Montanari
Price: CDN$ 16.57
43 used & new from CDN$ 4.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Story Illustrations Wanting, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: Chasing Degas (Hardcover)
This is a story of a little ballerina who swaps her bag with that of a prominent Impressionist painter: Edgar Degas. The bag he took holds her tutu for the evening performance and she must get it back. But will she be able to do so in time? With the help of other Impressionist artists, she just might.

Though, the story is fictional, it feels real, and it is a lot of fun. I'm an artist and Impressionism is my favourite period. As I was reading the story, I felt transported to the late 19th century where I caught glimpses of my favourite artists. I even managed to discover a new one, Mary Cassatt.

The illustrations roughly mimic Degas' style of painting, and though sometimes they are very crude, they carry the story along, giving it a sense of urgency. The illustrations seem to unravel and the angles sharpen as the little ballerina's time is running out, then they come together in the end.

I may get this book, or I may not. Though I like the story, I do find a lot of the illustrations in the book are a bit too crude to inspire me.

Swine Lake
Swine Lake
by Maurice Sendak

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing can make you forget how hungry you are!, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: Swine Lake (Paperback)
Wonderful! A lone, hungry, mangy wolf finds his way in an unfamiliar part of town, only to discover "Swine Lake" playing in the New Ham Ster Dam Theater. His plan is to gobble up the dancers, but he soon discovers that there is more to the ballet than dancing pigs.

The writing is full of humour and filled with anticipation, the ending is enjoyably surprising.

Maurice Sendak's illustrations are wonderfully executed with humour not written in the text. They begin telling the wolf's story long before we read the first line.

Whether you are a fan of ballet or not, I think you would enjoy this story. I like it so much that this book may find it's way to my shelf one of these days.

Max
Max
by Rachel Isadora
Price: CDN$ 9.49
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Dancing is not only for girls., Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: Max (Paperback)
Cute! At a first glance this a very simple cute story about a little boy, Max, who discovers that ballet is not just for girls. However, considering that the story was written back in 1976, it is a forward thinking piece of literature. These days, I find nothing strange about a boy taking ballet, but even in my youth (1990s) any boy who liked to dance was given a derogatory name of one sort or another.

This is a very gender-neutral book about dancing (quite yellow ;-) ) that I think both boys and girls will enjoy.

I read the Aladdin Paperbacks edition. As an artist, I find the pointillism illustrations quite charming, though I sometimes wonder if there is detail lost in the printing of my copy of the book, or if they are supposed to be that fuzzy. I like both Max's grin and his frown. Though the artist is clearly not an animator, the illustrations have a lot of movement.

This is a nice story. The reason I'm not giving it 5 Stars is because for me it does not go beyond nice, and I cannot see myself wanting to reread this book over and over again.

I got this book from my local library.

EOS Lip Balm Blueberry Acai Smooth Sphere (Pack of 1)
EOS Lip Balm Blueberry Acai Smooth Sphere (Pack of 1)
Offered by US Direct Sales
Price: CDN$ 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dries my lips and made the skin tighter and painful. Severely disappointed., Feb. 22 2015
I got this lip balm in the drugstore after reading so many positive reviews. I was excited to try it, but after using it for about a week, I have noticed that it dries my lips. The skin feels thinner and tighter, and it provides absolutely no protection against the cold. Severely disappointed, especially for such an exorbitant price. I'm going back to Burt's Bees.

FRiEQ® Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with 3.5 mm Aux Input Jack - Compatible with all Bluetooth enabled devices including iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Galaxy Note 2 / 3 and Other Smartphones - Dual USB Car Charger and Magnetic Base included
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 59.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat device, with set-up issues., Feb. 16 2015
I got the Frieq Bluetooth Car Kit for my sister. She works in a medical field, and I was sure a device that can help her answer her phone with a push of a single button would be very convenient; not to mention that she can also listen to the audio file reports on her phone while she drives and easily skip from one audio file to the next.

The device arrived promptly. The design is slim, small, and functional. The magnet could be affixed wherever you feel is most convenient and the device attaches via the said magnet, so that it could easily be removed from the car when not in use. However, please note that this DEVICE HAS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE CHARGER THE WHOLE TIME WHILE IN USE.

I've plugged the device using the dual USB charger and followed the instructions. This is where I've encountered my first problem. The instructions say that once the device is plugged in and charging, I should hold the home button for five seconds until the tiny light starts alternately flashing blue and red. The device kept flashing blue, but there was no red light. In my phone's Bluetooth settings the device was consequently not listed. It took me a few tries of pushing the button, but finally it flashed blue and red and I was able to connect the device to my phone.

Unfortunately, my sister's car is a 2005 Sebring and it does not have AUX input! Our family car is a 2012 Mazda 3, but it turns out that there is something wrong with the car's AUX input. Not the device's fault, but how could we use it?

Finally, I've hooked the device to my friend's car and it worked as advertised. It was extremely simple to answer the phone, and the sound came clearly through the speakers. The music played beautifully, too; however, your sound quality depends on the quality of your car's speakers not on the device.

In conclusion, my only issue with this device is the initial blue-red light setup. I held the button for five seconds: it flashed blue. I held the button again: it turned off. This went on for quite a while, until I finally managed to get the light flashing red and blue, and was able to connect my phone. Fortunately, the device did recognise my phone the following trip and I did not have to repeat the set-up process.

Can you use another phone with the device? Not if the first phone is in the car. The device does not control the car, but your phone, so that makes sense. If the first phone is not in the car... I don't know. I couldn't get the set-up process to repeat for my friend's phone. :-)

You should get this device:
- if you have a car with the 3.5 AUX input jack for your car's stereo
- if your car does not already come with the Bluetooth connection for your phone
- if you spend a lot of time in your car and need to take important calls
- if you want to listen to your phone's audio files

You should not get this device:
- if you do not have the patience to set up your device when the instructions don't work as easily as you expect

I've received this product for free in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sweetie's Search for a Forever Home in the Garden State
Sweetie's Search for a Forever Home in the Garden State
Price: CDN$ 4.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story that explores New Jersey in support of an animal rescue shelter, Feb. 5 2015
This is a lovingly crafted book that creatively supports the efforts of the Eleventh Hour Rescue, an organisation that "saves dogs and cats from death row". It is a charming tale about a dog named Sweetie who travels the state of New Jersey as she searches for her forever home. Along with Sweetie we discover many places as she makes new friends. I particularly enjoyed the fun facts, all of which were news to me. I had no idea that an American state has its own animal, bird, or even seashell! Or do only states bordering the ocean have their own official seashell?

Watercolour illustrations, though lacking the expert structure, nevertheless portray Sweetie's journey with a wealth of feeling. I particularly like the portrayal of a horse and the tiny yellow finch. I would also love to visit Cape May, "the oldest seashore resort". I will never take New Jersey for granted again!

(Note: I have the hardcover edition of this book.)

Arsenic and Old Lace (WB) (Sous-titres franais)
Arsenic and Old Lace (WB) (Sous-titres franais)
DVD ~ Grant Cary
Price: CDN$ 15.94
26 used & new from CDN$ 8.96

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this movie!, Jan. 5 2015
I love this movie. Cary Grant has never been funnier. All of the actors are perfect in their roles. The whole movie is ridiculous. I love it!

Braun Silk-épil 7 Skinspa Beauty Edition 7-929 1 Count Silk-épil 7 Skinspa Beauty Edition 7-929 1 Count
Price: CDN$ 149.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 149.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Why can't I keep the device plugged in until I'm done?!!!!, Jan. 5 2015
I would love this product if it had a better battery. It is frustrating having to charge and unplug the épil-artor mid-way through hair removal. With previous Braun products, I was able to plug in the device and use it until I was done. Now, the battery dies and I have to wait an hour for it to charge, then keep repeating the process until I am done. At this day and age to have a rechargeable battery that lasts less than an hour is ridiculous!

Why can't I keep the device plugged in?

I understand that the device can be used in water, but if there are customers that do not know enough to unplug an electrical device before using it in water, they deserve to be electrocuted.

Other than that, I also like the extra attachments.

Delicious Mind, Body And Soul: Recipes for Pampering Yourself Back to Health (Delicious Forever Book 2)
Price: CDN$ 5.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Surface Insights With Delicious Recipes, Jan. 5 2015
Written with simple charm, "Delicious Mind, Body, and Soul: Recipes For Pampering Yourself Back To Health" is a lovingly crafted book by Dr. Gudrun Frerichs, who has more than 25 years of experience working in mental health and trauma recovery fields.

In ten days, with this book, Dr. Frerichs promises to take us on a Home-Spa, teaching us to use positive thinking to improve our quality of life, while providing daily exercises for the Mind, Body, and Soul, as well as a delicious smoothie recipe. Each day we meet a fictional patient based on her real-life work experience. This patient (sometimes patients) show us one of the common thought challenges we may be facing, and Dr. Frerichs reveals the solution that has "healed" the patient.

This book is not an in-depth psychological heavy weight, however it is an entertaining read that does provide some surface insight into solutions to very complex problems. If you have deep issues, I advise you seek professional help.

The book also contains some wonderful quotes, my favourites being:

"And if a critical thought tried to sneak into her mind we told her to say '...Not now, I am busy having fun!'" (In the chapter about a woman who was too critical of herself to enjoy being creative.)

and

"The recipe for staying together is to show compassionate attention, generosity, and kindness to each other and avoid hostility, criticism and contempt."

I have given this book four stars, because I find the book too simplistic to solve true problems. In my edition, there are also some grammatical and other language mistakes. At times, the prose is somewhat repetitive as well. However, these issues though distracting do not take away from the overall enjoyment of reading this book.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the delicious smoothie recipes. :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5