march boutiques-francophones Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis vpcflyout Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Mili Fay > Reviews

Content by Mili Fay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mili Fay

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Death Cure (Maze Runner, Book Three)
The Death Cure (Maze Runner, Book Three)
by James Dashner
Price: CDN$ 9.55
54 used & new from CDN$ 2.37

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, Illogical, and Predictable, May 12 2016
This book is not for me. If you like shooter games, you may enjoy it. I was intrigued by the first book, got skeptical in the second, and was mostly bored by the third.

If any of the characters developed, I did not notice. I found them as cardboard cutouts. I also found the reality of the world not plausible. There seemed an extreme lack of intelligence in the authority figures.

I expect more from books, especially ones with good reputation.

I'm also tired of writers who write these fatalistic books for teens. Why is there no one who can write a book about a post apocalyptic society that rises from the ashes to create something wonderful? Or why not write a book about saving the planet, before we get to the apocalypse? No wonder depression is sweeping the world when even fiction is painful to read.

I borrowed the audiobook from the Toronto Public Library.

The Relatives Came
The Relatives Came
by Cynthia Rylant
Price: CDN$ 9.41
89 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun book with some lovely pencil crayon illustrations., May 8 2016
This review is from: The Relatives Came (Paperback)
A fun book about family. I loved it! I loved the way the illustrations expanded upon the well-written story. I found them quite whimsical and entertaining though I wish humans looked better.

I love the tracks showing that the car hit and broke the mailbox, and I love the illustration showing the relatives' initial journey.

A fun book.

I borrowed this book from the Toronto Public Library.

Have You Seen My Duckling?
Have You Seen My Duckling?
by Nancy Tafuri
Price: CDN$ 7.97
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little book., May 8 2016
Sweet. I think kids will have a lot of fun searching for the missing duckling. This book consists mainly of pictures with two sentences in total.

Some of the illustrations are nice, but others are quite lacking. I'm surprised by the lack of structure in the drawings. However, I'm an artist, so most people may not see anything wrong.

Nice little book.

I borrowed this book from the Toronto Public Library.

Little Red Riding Hood
Little Red Riding Hood
by Trina Schart Hyman
39 used & new from CDN$ 1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful! A classic for a reason., May 8 2016
This review is from: Little Red Riding Hood (Paperback)
Delightful! I have always loved this story as a kid, because it was quite creepy. I never thought all the wolves were bad, but I knew they were dangerous and that I should keep away from them. This story is so ridiculous, but somehow believable, too. It is the quintessential metaphor of the "Don't talk to strangers." and "Stranger = Danger" that every child should know.

I loved the illustrations. I especially love the cute black cat that follows Riding Hood and is the one to alert the hunter. I only wish that they were not as muddy as they are.

This story is a classic for a reason, and this presentation should not be missed.

I got this book from the Toronto Public Library.

When I Was Young in the Mountains
When I Was Young in the Mountains
by Cynthia Rylant
Price: CDN$ 9.48
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., May 8 2016
I grew up on the mountains mostly with my grandparents, but somehow this book did not make me feel warm and wistful. I found it rather creepy. There are dark swimming holes and snakes, also a very segregated crowd. Makes me wonder what happened to the kids' parents. It looks like the village from "The Lottery". Parts of the book were poetic. I love the sentiment on the last page.

The illustrations do nothing for me. There are some nice patterns in the tree branches, but the figures feel stiff and wooden. The chickens are cute. I would not buy this book, but I did not mind reading it.

I got this book from the Toronto Public Library.

Hansel and Gretel
Hansel and Gretel
by Rika Lesser
Price: CDN$ 20.78
41 used & new from CDN$ 3.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better., May 8 2016
This review is from: Hansel and Gretel (Hardcover)
And the award for worst parents in the world goes to... The Woodcutter and his Wife.

I never understood why the father agrees to abandon his children. Then at the end when they come back rich, everyone is happy? Awful parents!

I feel this retelling could have been better. I did not feel the drama of the witch wanting to eat the children.

The illustrations were wooden and wanting. It reminds me of my teachers telling me that it does not matter how much time you spend on the pretty painting, if the structure is not solid underneath. The gingerbread house was not made of gingerbread! Nor marzipan. It did not look appetising at all. Instead of being made of delicacies that most poor people of that time would never have seen, it is made of bread and pancakes?

Disappointing.

I did like the page at the end about the origin of the story.

I got his book from the Toronto Public Library.

Rumpelstiltskin
Rumpelstiltskin
by The Brothers Grimm
Price: CDN$ 9.41
80 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more..., April 30 2016
This review is from: Rumpelstiltskin (Paperback)
3.5 Stars

It has been a while since I heard this tale. Reading this, I do not find the story satisfactory. I like that the poor Miller's daughter is saved and becomes Queen, but I do not like that the boasting father and the greedy king did not get their comeuppance. Also, poor Rumplestiltskin! He did all that work, saved the girl, and did not get any reward. If he wanted to eat the baby, maybe the ending would be justified, but perhaps he only needed a surrogate, because he could not have kids of his own?

As a modern woman, I would also like to see the girl be clever and save herself. She did not even go into the woods to seek out Rumple (which is how I remember the story), but sent a maid.

This fairytale is in serious need of retelling, because what is the moral here?

I'm also divided on the illustrations. Some are very beautiful, and others are messed up. As I recall Renaissance was when perspective was discovered. The wrong perspective in some illustrations makes me sea-sick. Rumple is rather cute. I think he should be more sinister.

The Village of Round and Square Houses
The Village of Round and Square Houses
by Ann Grifalconi
Price: CDN$ 18.97
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story. Beautiful Artwork., April 30 2016
Beautiful pastel illustrations. I loved getting to know a bit about a culture I'm unfamiliar with. Though I'm a fan of National Geographic and OASIS, I have never heard of an African village of Tos with square and round houses.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this story. Thank you.

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
by Audrey Wood
Price: CDN$ 18.73
86 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, but forgettable story. Nice illustrations., April 30 2016
Ridiculous, but lots of fun. The book I got from the library should have had a CD, too, with six original songs, but it did not. I have no idea if this would enhance the story.

I think this story would have been better if the pageboy was not the one asking for help all along.

The illustrations are solid if a bit stiff at times. I love the bathtub scenes. It is a good book, but I think children would appreciate it more. For me it has the quality of a knock-knock joke; amusing as you hear it, but forgettable.

The Story of Jumping Mouse
The Story of Jumping Mouse
by John Steptoe
Price: CDN$ 21.99
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful metaphor that encourages us to never give up on our dreams., April 30 2016
Wonderful! This is the kind of storytelling I like. On the surface it is a wonderful adventure story about a brave, hopeful, and generous mouse who journeys to the far-off land.

If read between the lines, it is a metaphor for life and the importance of not giving up on your dreams, no matter what the challenges are and no matter if others think you foolish. It also shows the importance of being a good person and helping others even if it costs you, because we all need a little help sometimes.

"He lost hope of finding his dream and now his life is over." As long as you are alive and have hope, you have to keep fighting for your dreams.

The black and white pencil illustrations are lovely, though sometimes I had to pull back to see what was going on. Personally, I would have liked to see this story in watercolor, or even in the Native American style. However, my preferences do not take away from the beauty of this book.

I borrowed the hardcover from the Toronto Public Library for my book club.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7