ARRAY(0xc17903e4)

Profile for Milica Hovanec > Reviews

Content by Milica Hovanec

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Milica Hovanec

Page: 1 | 2
X-Men and The Wolverine Collection (X-Men/X-Men 2/X-Men 3: The Last Stand/X-Men Origins: Wolverine/X-Men: First Class/The Wolverine) (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: CDN$ 62.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 40.99

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT, Jan. 27 2014
I couldn't believe the price of this product, and I could not be happier with it. All of the X-Men movies to date are in this collection in stunning Bluray quality. I will not rate the movies here, just this collection. :-)

Sahara
Sahara
DVD ~ Sahara
Price: CDN$ 21.11
17 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This DVD release is missing several scenes???, Nov. 2 2013
This review is from: Sahara (DVD)
I love this movie.

It is not a critically acclaimed and brilliant movie, but it is a lot of fun. The story is ridiculous. There is nothing realistic about this movie. In fact, it reminds me very much of cheap romance novellas I use to read as a teen, but it is a lot of fun. Brooke Shields and Lambert Wilson are probably the best looking onscreen couple I have ever seen. John Rhys-Davies is as brilliant as always, and Ronald Lacey makes a wonderful, crazy villain.

Cinematography is beautiful and the setting is lush.

The only issue I have with this DVD release is that a whole section of the film is missing in the beginning. It creates a few minor plot holes during the rest of the film. I wonder why? The missing scenes shows Dale meeting the little gypsie boy and discovering the two Mercedes. She also catches Davies' character buying women, and there is an altercation in one of those dancing-girl bars such movies always have. Why did they take these scenes out, I will never know, but it makes me a disappointed customer.

Skyfall (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy]
Skyfall (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy]
DVD ~ Daniel Craig
Price: CDN$ 14.49
16 used & new from CDN$ 10.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bond Ever, Aug. 20 2013
This is my favourite Bond movie, and maybe even my favourite movie ever. I have studied film and am rather jaded when it comes to everything I see in the movie theatres lately, but not so with this movie. There is not a single thing I would change. If anything could be perfect this movie is it.

The Blue-Ray presentation is magnificent, and... What else can I say?

If you like Bond, or even if you do not like Bond, watch this film.

Blood of Dragons (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 4)
Blood of Dragons (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 4)
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Satisfying, Aug. 20 2013
I have never read any other Robin Hobb book before I chose this series purely based on the cover design, because I like dragons and was curious to try out the story. At the beginning of the series I was overwhelmed by the presence of so many characters, but once I caught on who was who, I have enjoyed the whole series immensely.

I have listened to the audio version of this book, and I couldn't stop. It is written in a way where just as you would want to hear more about a set of characters, the story switches to a different set, but you are not long frustrated, because their story is intriguing as well.

I do not understand why the reviews are so lukewarm. This series (concluding with this book) is terrific. Thoroughly satisfying.

The Elite (The Selection)
The Elite (The Selection)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened to strong female characters?, June 20 2013
I want America to be so much more than she is. I want a strong female character who will take charge of herself and her own destiny. She just stumbles along, with a serious lack of emotional balance. I have to keep reminding myself that she is a 17 year-old teenager, because she has emotional stability of a 12 year old child. What kind of model is America to the young girls of today? What is her redeeming quality? She has a moment or two, but most of the time I just kept rolling my eyes.

I was listening to this book on tape, and all I heard is how beautiful she is. I can't see her being smart or brave, she just stumbles along. I like her compassionate nature towards her maids, but sometimes I get a feeling that she is compassionate just for the sake of being liked. Marnie is the truly compassionate one.

I am also fed up with beautiful girls. Most girls would not be considered beautiful by magazine standards, but as an artist I can tell you that I have yet to meet an ugly girl. I want to see the beauty of America's character. At this time she is silly, shallow, and stupid.

Come on Cass. Give us a character we can admire. You must have read Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Persuassion... You are a woman! Give us a character to admire, please.

Fables Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover
Fables Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover
by Bill Willingham
Price: CDN$ 15.15
47 used & new from CDN$ 8.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing And Tiresome, June 6 2012
I love FABLES, but this volume was dreadful. It was an exercise in writing gone wrong. There was nothing mind boggling, and the stories with Literals were rather annoying. I saw the Literals as a bad version of Gaiman's Endless. Too much talk, and little substance. Speaking as an artist, some of the artwork was truly horrible.. Saying that, there were funny and charming moments in the story. SPOILER ALERT!!! I loved that Bigby was forced to change shape, until he found the will to stay true to himself. I love that Sam pitched Hansel off a cliff. I love Rose Red's stinky depression. I love Jack Frost... SPOILER ENDS!!! Despite all those moments, the story was tiresome, especially coming after the wrenching "The Dark Ages".

Bottom line: I would not want to read this volume again.

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
Price: CDN$ 17.98
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Production, Terrible Direction, April 22 2012
I could not enjoy this film, because the direction was horrible. If Laurence Connor is responsible for the horrible shots and ridiculous views and camera motion, please someone tell him to do himself a favour and go back to film class, or at least to read 5 C's of Cinematography.

The stage performance was beautiful, but the terrible camera directing has taken something that could have earned 5 stars and dropped it to 3, I'm not even sure it deserves the 3 stars I gave.

The most horrible direction occurred during big production numbers that involved the whole company. The stage directing of this musical is beautiful, but we could not see any of that, due to terrible frequen cuts that had no purpose other than to destroy the beautifull mirroring and intricate choreography. Close-ups were too close more often than not. Every first year student of film knows that an extreme close-up should be used to show characters' inner thoughts, and sparingly at that. There were angles included for no reason at all othar than the fact that the camera can do that. There were times when crutial lines were heard but the actors were off screen, as well as a multitude of moving shots that would make a person sick!

Whoever directed this, did not use the camera to show the story, but instead was determined to have as many different shots and angles as he could.

In conclusion, the direction was worse than amateurish, it was ignorant and insulting, not only to the audience, but to the performers on the stage.

NEW Andrew Lloyd Webber - Love Never Dies (Blu-ray)
NEW Andrew Lloyd Webber - Love Never Dies (Blu-ray)
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 41.22
18 used & new from CDN$ 17.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Never heard better singing in my life!, April 22 2012
After watching The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall, I went to see Love Never Dies in a movie theatre with some trepidation. I feared the directing of the musical. However, it was BRILLIANT! The way Simon Phillips directed those cameras... There were times when I forgot I was watching a film version of a theatre musical; it was that good.

The cast is unsurpassed. Ben Lewis and Anna O'Byrne... Well, I don't think there are words to describe the clarity and passion of their singing. Jack Lyall, who plays Christine's son Gustave, more than kept pace with the adults.

Though I am not fond of the way the writers messed with the characters of Raoul and Meg, I understand why they did, and the two roles were again brilliantly acted by Sharon Millerchip and Simon Gleeson.

The rest of the cast was amazing, as well. I certainly hope they release the soundtrack by the Melbourne company.

The only reason why I give this film 4 stars instead of 5 is that the producers and the director did not elect to digitally remove the ridiculous microphones. They were very distracting, at times taking your eyes from the brilliant performances. Considering how much money the entire franchise has racked in, they could have spent a minuscule portion of the money on removing the unsightly things.

Since there are no previews on amazon, I suggest you find some on You Tube and take a gander.

The ending of this movie is not what I would have wished for, but it was satisfactory. Though not every song is as magical as the ones in the original Phantom, there were several gems that raised the production as a whole.

I do not wish to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it yet, so what else can I say...

I assure you that I'll purchase a copy of this film as soon as it becomes available.

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
by James Gurney
Price: CDN$ 18.17
44 used & new from CDN$ 18.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Jan. 3 2012
The trouble with ignorance is that one does not know one is ignorant, until one is no longer ignorant.

Though I've studied art in various forms for over two decades, until I've read this book I remained chiefly ignorant of Colour and Light.

As a reference, this book is an absolute must! It answered many questions that I did not know I had, and some I did not know how to ask.

James Gurney dissects theories of light and colour into an easy reference that is a pleasure to read. He approaches art from an artist's view, as well as a scientific view. The amount of his knowledge at times can be quite frightening. Before reading this book, I thought I knew quite a bit about working with colour. Now, I realize how much of my work was instinctive, and I can only anticipate improvement in my work when that instinct is tempered by my freshly gained knowledge.

Reading the table of contents should be enough to convince you that this book will be worth your money and your time. It does not hurt your decision making to know that Mr. Gurney's art is beautiful, or that it enriches this book with the art to text ratio of ~ 7: 3.

Lastly, when you are finished reading this book, if you feel that you still need further explanations, Mr. Gurney includes a list of books you can use to continue your study.

What else can I say?

'Colour and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter' by James Gurney is absolutely amazing. Thank you Mr. G for writing it, and I look forward to reading your other and future work.

Cary Grant 4-Disc Collector's Set (Indiscreet / Operation Petticoat / The Grass Is Greener / That Touch of Mink) [Import]
DVD ~ Cary Grant
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 108.34
7 used & new from CDN$ 49.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Movies, Poor Quality DVDs, Nov. 30 2011
I love Cary Grant. I loved every movie I ever watched that he acted in, and these movies are no exception. Yes, some are better than others, but he is a superb actor and a pleasure to watch any day. However, the quality of the disks is shockingly appalling. Not only are the movies grainy, but they do not allow for wide screen expansion. Having a wide screen TV, most of my screen was black filler. This, of course, forced me to zoom the entire image, making it even grainier (pixellated).
So, the moves are OK, but the quality of the recording is awful! Your choice.

Page: 1 | 2