Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools
Profile for Mili Fay > Reviews

Content by Mili Fay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mili Fay

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Shadowline: The Art of Iain McCaig
Shadowline: The Art of Iain McCaig
by Iain McCaig
Price: CDN$ 59.95
31 used & new from CDN$ 43.80

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more., July 12 2015
I expected more. I love the artist's work, there is no question about that. However, I expected more from the book. Somehow, I feel there was not enough artwork. I also feel that there are many pages where the artwork was sized up and as a result it does not look as cohesive. I fell in love with Ian McCaig's work as I looked through The Attack of the Clone's Art Book, and I was too excited about purchasing this book.

I'm not sure I like that the book is a fantasy story about Byron the intrviewer who falls into Ian McCaig's imaginary world, Shadowline. I think the idea is very creative, and I have enjoyed the beginning. However, as a standalone fantasy, the story it is weak. It's disjointed. I'm not sure how to explain... It is as if we fell into this incredible world where we caught glimpses of characters and settings, but we were snatched away before anything really made sense. The sporting cast of characters come across as rather flat. In the end there are more questions than answers. What is the deal with the mouse? Is the Centaurine McCaig's muse? Why does McCaig become a monster? Why a pigmy T-Rex? ... I'm sure all of this makes sense in the author's mind, but I cannot connect the dots; in the end the story left me dissatisfied.

While reading the book, I hoped to find out more about the artist; I hoped for some funny anecdotes from his life, his struggles and triumphs, words of wisdom... I bought this book because I watched McCaig's Schoolism interview. I fell in love with the guy. I expected more of that guy in this book, but he was barely in it.

I did like the tiny lesson booklets included in the book, though most of these lessons were not new to me.

In conclusion, this is not a bad book. I was disappointed, because it could have been so much better.

120 Great Fashion Designs, 1900-1950, CD-ROM and Book
120 Great Fashion Designs, 1900-1950, CD-ROM and Book
by Tom Tierney
Price: CDN$ 31.83
15 used & new from CDN$ 16.10

2.0 out of 5 stars The title should be "120 Great Fashion Designs for Women", June 24 2015
Disappointing. I have a few of the other books by Tom Tierney and they are great. I was expecting the same kind of book; with men, women, children, different hairstyles, underclothes... I use these books for drawing reference. This book only has women and a limited number of them, too. Instead of utilising every page, most of the pages have blank backs. This is because, unlike the previous black and white line artwork, the drawings are in colour. I would gladly give up colour in exchange for more artwork and different gender and age representation.

On the positive side, my seller from England was great! The book arrived before I expected it in pristine condition.

The Grand Seduction / La grande séduction à l'anglaise (Bilingual)
The Grand Seduction / La grande séduction à l'anglaise (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Taylor Kitsch
Price: CDN$ 6.88
8 used & new from CDN$ 6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember the time I laughed so much., June 24 2015
Last night I watch a great movie with my family, "The Grand Seduction". It is not forced, it is not Hollywood, it is a true hidden gem, and it takes place in beautiful Newfoundland, Canada.

Paraphrasing:

"He loves crickets? Well, I thought eating raw fish was bad enough, but to each his own."
"No! It's a sport!"
"What??? Do they race them or something?"
"No! They use bats."
"Those must be some tiny bats..."

That joke still makes me laugh.

It is about a once prosperous fishing village in Newfoundland. Since they are no longer allowed to fish to make a profit, the villagers live off welfare. They are trying to entice a big oil company to chose their village for a waste repurposing plant, so that all of them can have a job. However, the oil company insists on having a doctor present in the village, and there has not been a doctor there in 8 years!

I will not reveal how it happens, but a young plastic surgeon ends up in the village for a month. The whole town hatches a plan to seduce him into staying.

Ridiculous capers ensue.

Ruby Sparks [Blu-ray]
Ruby Sparks [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Paul Dano
Offered by TechDepot Canada
Price: CDN$ 19.97
8 used & new from CDN$ 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful. Hidden gem of a movie that moved me like no other has in years!, April 24 2015
This review is from: Ruby Sparks [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A modern Pygmalion. Calvin is a troubled writer, a genius who wrote his "Great American Novel" at 19, but who has trouble coping with the social scene. He dreams of a girl, writes about her, and she comes to life. He can change her however he likes, but should he? What is it that makes a woman a perfect mate?

This movie blew me away. It is one of those hidden gems that enriched my life and changed it forever. Just beautiful. I have not been so moved by a movie since August Rush/Stardust.

I watched a DVD version from my local library, and now Ruby Sparks is on my Wish List.

Knight & Day (DVD/Blu-ray/Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
Knight & Day (DVD/Blu-ray/Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 7.00
26 used & new from CDN$ 4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous Move, But Oh So Funny!, March 24 2015
This movie is absolutely ridiculous, but I love it! It reminds me a bit of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" but much funnier. This is the way "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" should have been. A pure comedic fantasy.

Tom Cruise plays a James Bond type of character who has been set up by a fellow agent. Cameron Diaz was at the wrong place at the wrong time--or was it the right time to find true love? There is a ton of action and comedy that ensues. The directing is superb. In the hands of a lesser artist this movie could have been terrible, instead it is a pure gem.

If you are looking for a realistic type of thriller, this movie is not for you. However, if you are looking to be entertained, like romance, lots of action, and are not too serious, you will love this movie.

I just wanted the move, so I cannot comment on the extra features on the discs. The quality of the Blu-ray was great.

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (A Percy Jackson and the Olympians Guide)
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (A Percy Jackson and the Olympians Guide)
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations could be better. The book is a fun entryway into Greek Mythology., March 7 2015
If we are to believe the author, this book was written by the demigod Percy Jackson (you may have heard of him). It is an account of a teenager talking about his relatives, mainly the following Greek gods: Hestia, Demeter, Persephone, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, Zeus, Athena, Aphrodite, Ares, Hephaestus, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, and Dionysus.

I have loved all of Percy Jackson books, though at times I had issues with the colloquial language of the teenagers the author used. This book is the first where I actually had to read the language (I listened to the other books). I believe the language is better heard than read, but after I got use to it, I have enjoyed this book very much.

What makes this book different than other mythology books I have read in the past is that the author talks about these stories as if he was there observing the events as they happened. He also interprets the stories in a way relative to our time. For example:

"...Hermes was in charge of guiding dead souls to the Underworld. He was Zeus's personal FedEx service, carrying his boss's messages all around the globe with guaranteed overnight delivery..."

Because of this treatment the Greek gods feel familiar, as if they are our neighbours, people we can cross our yard and reach. As a reader I feel connected to them all. I also love Jackson's interpretation of every god; Kronos is a canibal, Ares is a bully, most of the gods have anger issues, Apollo is a narcissistic psychopath...

Reading between the lines, I got all the necessary information about each god; how they came to be, what their sacred animals are and why, etc.

If you are looking for some deep interpretation of the Greek gods, this may not be the book for you. However, if you are looking for an entertaining way to fill some gaps in your Mythologica studies, you'll love this book.

The illustrations are better at some times than others, but they carry the story well at all times. Apparently they were created "using graphite on paper, then colored digitally using various stains and textures". As an illustrator myself, I would not buy this book for the illustrations. At times they are too stiff and crude, anatomy tends to slide all over the place, they feel rushed... However, there are a few I've enjoyed. My personal favourite is Zeus facing Kampê.

I will definitely get the next book in this series.

Note: I got this book at my local bookstore.

The Scarecrow's Dance
The Scarecrow's Dance
by Jane Yolen
Price: CDN$ 21.99
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Artwork, Perfect Bedtime Story, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: The Scarecrow's Dance (Hardcover)
Beautiful. A story about a scarecrow inspired by the wind to dance. But anyone can dance, only a scarecrow can protect a field. ;-)

The story is simple and written in rhyme. The rhythm of the words is soothing. I think this will make a perfect bedtime story.

The illustrations are beautiful. They carry the sentiment of the story. Each one is a painting to be enjoyed at leisure. However, each one is also full of movement and grace. The staging is phenomenal. I think this illustrator may have been an animator, or at the very least a film buff.

I got this book from my local library.

Chasing Degas
Chasing Degas
by Eva Montanari
Price: CDN$ 20.71
33 used & new from CDN$ 3.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Story Illustrations Wanting, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: Chasing Degas (Hardcover)
This is a story of a little ballerina who swaps her bag with that of a prominent Impressionist painter: Edgar Degas. The bag he took holds her tutu for the evening performance and she must get it back. But will she be able to do so in time? With the help of other Impressionist artists, she just might.

Though, the story is fictional, it feels real, and it is a lot of fun. I'm an artist and Impressionism is my favourite period. As I was reading the story, I felt transported to the late 19th century where I caught glimpses of my favourite artists. I even managed to discover a new one, Mary Cassatt.

The illustrations roughly mimic Degas' style of painting, and though sometimes they are very crude, they carry the story along, giving it a sense of urgency. The illustrations seem to unravel and the angles sharpen as the little ballerina's time is running out, then they come together in the end.

I may get this book, or I may not. Though I like the story, I do find a lot of the illustrations in the book are a bit too crude to inspire me.

Tallulah's Tutu
Tallulah's Tutu
by Marilyn Singer
Price: CDN$ 22.99
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.68

5.0 out of 5 stars What does it take to earn a tutu?, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: Tallulah's Tutu (Hardcover)
Loved it! It is a story about a little girl who only wants a tutu, but discovers that she loves ballet.

The story was real and funny. Tallulah is a little princess, who thinks the world revolves around her and her wishes, she can be bratty, but she is also a kind kid who learns her lessons.

The illustrations are gorgeous; whimsical, full of movement and emotions. Tallulah's face when her teacher tells her that it takes time and lots of practice to earn a tutu is priceless!

This book is definitely making its way to my shelf. :-)

Swine Lake
Swine Lake
by Maurice Sendak
2 used & new from CDN$ 46.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing can make you forget how hungry you are!, Feb. 26 2015
This review is from: Swine Lake (Paperback)
Wonderful! A lone, hungry, mangy wolf finds his way in an unfamiliar part of town, only to discover "Swine Lake" playing in the New Ham Ster Dam Theater. His plan is to gobble up the dancers, but he soon discovers that there is more to the ballet than dancing pigs.

The writing is full of humour and filled with anticipation, the ending is enjoyably surprising.

Maurice Sendak's illustrations are wonderfully executed with humour not written in the text. They begin telling the wolf's story long before we read the first line.

Whether you are a fan of ballet or not, I think you would enjoy this story. I like it so much that this book may find it's way to my shelf one of these days.

I got this book from my local library.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5