march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for Mili Fay > Reviews

Content by Mili Fay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mili Fay

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Rumpelstiltskin
Rumpelstiltskin
by The Brothers Grimm
Price: CDN$ 9.41
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more..., April 30 2016
This review is from: Rumpelstiltskin (Paperback)
3.5 Stars

It has been a while since I heard this tale. Reading this, I do not find the story satisfactory. I like that the poor Miller's daughter is saved and becomes Queen, but I do not like that the boasting father and the greedy king did not get their comeuppance. Also, poor Rumplestiltskin! He did all that work, saved the girl, and did not get any reward. If he wanted to eat the baby, maybe the ending would be justified, but perhaps he only needed a surrogate, because he could not have kids of his own?

As a modern woman, I would also like to see the girl be clever and save herself. She did not even go into the woods to seek out Rumple (which is how I remember the story), but sent a maid.

This fairytale is in serious need of retelling, because what is the moral here?

I'm also divided on the illustrations. Some are very beautiful, and others are messed up. As I recall Renaissance was when perspective was discovered. The wrong perspective in some illustrations makes me sea-sick. Rumple is rather cute. I think he should be more sinister.

The Village of Round and Square Houses
The Village of Round and Square Houses
by Ann Grifalconi
Price: CDN$ 18.98
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story. Beautiful Artwork., April 30 2016
Beautiful pastel illustrations. I loved getting to know a bit about a culture I'm unfamiliar with. Though I'm a fan of National Geographic and OASIS, I have never heard of an African village of Tos with square and round houses.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this story. Thank you.

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
by Audrey Wood
Price: CDN$ 18.56
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, but forgettable story. Nice illustrations., April 30 2016
Ridiculous, but lots of fun. The book I got from the library should have had a CD, too, with six original songs, but it did not. I have no idea if this would enhance the story.

I think this story would have been better if the pageboy was not the one asking for help all along.

The illustrations are solid if a bit stiff at times. I love the bathtub scenes. It is a good book, but I think children would appreciate it more. For me it has the quality of a knock-knock joke; amusing as you hear it, but forgettable.

The Story of Jumping Mouse
The Story of Jumping Mouse
by John Steptoe
Price: CDN$ 21.77
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful metaphor that encourages us to never give up on our dreams., April 30 2016
Wonderful! This is the kind of storytelling I like. On the surface it is a wonderful adventure story about a brave, hopeful, and generous mouse who journeys to the far-off land.

If read between the lines, it is a metaphor for life and the importance of not giving up on your dreams, no matter what the challenges are and no matter if others think you foolish. It also shows the importance of being a good person and helping others even if it costs you, because we all need a little help sometimes.

"He lost hope of finding his dream and now his life is over." As long as you are alive and have hope, you have to keep fighting for your dreams.

The black and white pencil illustrations are lovely, though sometimes I had to pull back to see what was going on. Personally, I would have liked to see this story in watercolor, or even in the Native American style. However, my preferences do not take away from the beauty of this book.

I borrowed the hardcover from the Toronto Public Library for my book club.

Alphabatics
Alphabatics
by Suse MacDonald
Price: CDN$ 9.87
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Alphabet book I've ever seen!, April 30 2016
This review is from: Alphabatics (Paperback)
Fabulous! As a trained animator I love the way letters morphs to reveal the image of the subject that begins with the letter. I also appreciate the plain, non-distracting background. Though the illustrations are a bit more simple than what I personally prefer, I love the brightness of the colours. This is by far the best Alphabet book I have ever seen.

I borrowed the hardcover book from the Toronto Public Library.

Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
by Rick Riordan
Price: CDN$ 18.32
22 used & new from CDN$ 18.32

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read!, April 29 2016
4.5 Stars. I enjoyed this retelling of Greek Myths. I like the simplified, colloquial style (after I got use to it). Sometimes the style creates quite a bit of entertainment, as it turns horrible traumatic experiences into the equivalent of cartoon violence. I'm also happy Riordan included "Cupid and Psyche", which according to Mythologica does not originate in Ancient Greece, but is my favorite story.

I also loved learning about Amazons and Argonauts, the stories I missed in my previous readings of mythology.

I think Atlanta is awesome!

I would love to read Riordan's take on Egyptian gods.

This book looses half a star, because somehow I found the book about Greek Gods more interesting than this one about Heroes.

Worlds Of Ink And Shadow
Worlds Of Ink And Shadow
by Lena Coakley
Price: CDN$ 17.43
5 used & new from CDN$ 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An imaginative fantasy about the Brontë family., April 24 2016
I couldn't put this book down. From page one I was hooked on the fantastic story of the Brontë family.

I was hooked on the story, since I first saw some of Coakley's rough drafts. This book has exceeded my expectations. Coakley is a wonderful author with lyrical prose I miss in most books written these days. All the characters were real as I read, and as a writer I could appreciate the terror of getting lost in one of my stories like the Brontës.

As a fan of Witchlanders, I feared I will have to wait for the conclusion to this series, but no. This book stands on its own. I love it!

Sir Dudley Tinklebutton and the Dragon's Lair (Rosehaven, The Dudley Diaries Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 3.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous, but fun, April 14 2016
I think this book is what they mean by the "tongue in cheek" expression. It is simple, ridiculous, and quite charming. There is nothing new about the duo of an arrogant foolish knight and his wise squire and horse, but I quite like Sir Dudley. What I love about him is his kind heart. He has a chance to kill the sleeping dragon, but he does not for quite a noble reason.

What I do not like about the book is that everything is too simple. I think kids will enjoy the book, but as an adult I wish there was a bit more struggle.

This is a story that is told and not shown, and as such I felt separated from the characters. I also wanted to see an illustration of how Sir D and his squire are coping with their new situation. The ending is a perfect setup for some comic artwork, and since there was none, I felt cheated.

However the ridiculousness of the plot and writing made me smile, so I think the four stars are well deserved.

I like the style of illustrations. They go well with the story. The one of Sir D running from a bee is hilarious.

Music
Music
Price: CDN$ 30.55
24 used & new from CDN$ 16.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution., Oct. 9 2015
This review is from: Music (Audio CD)
Disappointing. David Garrett is great, and maybe listening to individual tracks is fine, however listening to an entire CD at once is exhausting. Unlike the 2009 CD (which I love) this one has terrible electronic background arrangements that take away from Garrett's fabulous playing. As a result, a lot of the tracks sound like noise. Most of the tracks have similar rhythm and are at the same level of intensity. "Chopin Nocturne" track is a welcome relief. If you do get this CD I would suggest spreading the tracks between other, more mellow, music to give your ears a break.

David Garrett
David Garrett
Price: CDN$ 16.75
48 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect blend of classical and rock!, Oct. 9 2015
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
Amazing! This whole CD is absolutely fantastic. David Garrett is sublime. I have not heard such virtuoso playing since Stefan Milenković. The blend of rock and classical music is perfect. Honestly, there is not a single track on this entire album that I do not love. However, my favourite is "He's a Pirate".

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6