Profile for Mili Fay > Reviews

Content by Mili Fay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mili Fay

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Arsenic and Old Lace (WB) (Sous-titres franais)
Arsenic and Old Lace (WB) (Sous-titres franais)
DVD ~ Grant Cary
Price: CDN$ 15.94
30 used & new from CDN$ 8.25

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this movie!, Jan. 5 2015
I love this movie. Cary Grant has never been funnier. All of the actors are perfect in their roles. The whole movie is ridiculous. I love it!

Braun Silk-épil 7 Skinspa Beauty Edition 7-929 1 Count Silk-épil 7 Skinspa Beauty Edition 7-929 1 Count
Price: CDN$ 149.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 149.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Why can't I keep the device plugged in until I'm done?!!!!, Jan. 5 2015
I would love this product if it had a better battery. It is frustrating having to charge and unplug the épil-artor mid-way through hair removal. With previous Braun products, I was able to plug in the device and use it until I was done. Now, the battery dies and I have to wait an hour for it to charge, then keep repeating the process until I am done. At this day and age to have a rechargeable battery that lasts less than an hour is ridiculous!

Why can't I keep the device plugged in?

I understand that the device can be used in water, but if there are customers that do not know enough to unplug an electrical device before using it in water, they deserve to be electrocuted.

Other than that, I also like the extra attachments.

Delicious Mind, Body And Soul: Recipes for Pampering Yourself Back to Health (Delicious Forever Book 2)
Price: CDN$ 5.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Surface Insights With Delicious Recipes, Jan. 5 2015
Written with simple charm, "Delicious Mind, Body, and Soul: Recipes For Pampering Yourself Back To Health" is a lovingly crafted book by Dr. Gudrun Frerichs, who has more than 25 years of experience working in mental health and trauma recovery fields.

In ten days, with this book, Dr. Frerichs promises to take us on a Home-Spa, teaching us to use positive thinking to improve our quality of life, while providing daily exercises for the Mind, Body, and Soul, as well as a delicious smoothie recipe. Each day we meet a fictional patient based on her real-life work experience. This patient (sometimes patients) show us one of the common thought challenges we may be facing, and Dr. Frerichs reveals the solution that has "healed" the patient.

This book is not an in-depth psychological heavy weight, however it is an entertaining read that does provide some surface insight into solutions to very complex problems. If you have deep issues, I advise you seek professional help.

The book also contains some wonderful quotes, my favourites being:

"And if a critical thought tried to sneak into her mind we told her to say '...Not now, I am busy having fun!'" (In the chapter about a woman who was too critical of herself to enjoy being creative.)

and

"The recipe for staying together is to show compassionate attention, generosity, and kindness to each other and avoid hostility, criticism and contempt."

I have given this book four stars, because I find the book too simplistic to solve true problems. In my edition, there are also some grammatical and other language mistakes. At times, the prose is somewhat repetitive as well. However, these issues though distracting do not take away from the overall enjoyment of reading this book.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the delicious smoothie recipes. :-)

Self Publishing in Canada: A complete guide to designing, printing and selling your book
by Suzanne Anderson
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars "Your book is self-published?" 8-., Oct. 2 2014
This book has helped me self-publish a picture book that no one can tell has been self-published. In fact my book has recently been selected out of 700+ books to be presented at an international book fair (I will not mention names, because this review is not about self-promotion).

Anderson takes her readers through a step by step process which is still relevant though the publishing world is changing constantly. She does not cover marketing as much, because this book is not about marketing, it is about publishing, and specifically publishing in Canada, which IS different than publishing in USA. If you wish to know all about the publishing industry this book is not for you. However, if you wish to know how to format your book, what elements to include, how to obtain a free ISBN number, give your book to national book deposit... basically get your book out of your head and into print, this book is for you.

I believe she now has a 2nd edition that includes eBooks, so you may want to grab that version.

If you are a Canadian looking to self-publish a book... I have not found a better resource. This book is a great start to your reference library if you plan to become a successful publisher and author.

Animalia
Animalia
by Graeme Base
69 used & new from CDN$ 1.12

5.0 out of 5 stars "Animalia" is An Astonishing Artwork by An Amazing Artist. ;-), Sept. 10 2014
This review is from: Animalia (Hardcover)
I got this book from the library and I feel I have to write a review.

This is a wonderful book, a rich visual feast that may sometimes be overwhelming to the senses. However, that is what makes picture books so great. Unlike animation where a drawing has to "read" in a split second, a reader can go back to this book and spend hours studying the illustrations. Not only will children learn the letters of the alphabet, but several words that start with that letter of the alphabet displayed throughout the illustration and in silly alliterations describing each scene. Illustrations themselves are packed with visual elements that start with the featured letter. For example, the letter P:

"Proud Peacocks Preening Perfect Plumage" are surrounded by a policeman, prisoner, pirate, parrot, prince and princess, players, pigtails, penguins, pandas, puffin, Pan, etc.

There is also a "Find Waldo" element where the reader can search for the child that was Graeme Base in every illustration and a lovely little poem introducing the whole book.

What else can I say?

"Animalia" is An Astonishing Artwork by An Amazing Artist. ;-)

Legend of Korra: Book One: Air [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) [Import]
Legend of Korra: Book One: Air [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ Janet Varney
Price: CDN$ 31.30
26 used & new from CDN$ 23.15

4.0 out of 5 stars A Rushed Story, But Lots Of Fun, Aug. 28 2014
I prefer the original Avatar: The Last Air Bender, but I do like this series, too. It has great comedy moments, and I love Korra. I think the Love Triangle (or Love Square) moves far too quickly. I wish the writers took the time to develop the story more. It feels somewhat rushed. However, great fun!

As far as the Blu-Ray quality: There is one pixel white line between character's skin and the outline that I find irritating. I wonder if this would disappear on a DVD.

That Darn Cat! (1965) (Bilingual)
That Darn Cat! (1965) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Hayley Mills
Price: CDN$ 6.25
29 used & new from CDN$ 4.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Family Fun Movie, Aug. 28 2014
I have always loved this movie. I find it rather funny, in a stagey kind of way. I was surprised by the viciousness of the bad guys, at moments they really managed to frighten me. A Disney Classic, what else need I say? :-)

The Egg Tree
The Egg Tree
by Katherine Milhous
Price: CDN$ 9.99
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary Story, Colours Hurt My Eyes, Aug. 28 2014
This review is from: The Egg Tree (Paperback)
This is another book choice from my picture book club. I have found the book in my local library and the following is my review.

I try not to be harsh when it comes to my reviews, because each book is someone's baby and I'm sensitive to the fact that each one is precious. However, as a writer and an illustrator reading this book, I feel as if I'm missing something. Why was this book a winner?

It is a very ordinary story about kids who search for eggs during Easter, one of them discovers old eggs in the attic, and their grandmother shows them how to make The Egg Tree. The word spreads and next year even people from the Big City come to see the enormous egg tree the children have created.

I found the separation of text mid sentence with a two-page spread in between irritating. I want to stop and look at the illustrations, but I have to flip the page to complete my sentence first.

I'm also not a fan of this type of illustration. Illustrations in the book are very wooden, and the colours are all over the place--some illustrations literally hurt my eyes. I understand that the 50s were the period of expressionism and moving away from classical illustrations, but I would take Beatrice Potter and Arthur Racham's work over this any day. Maybe it is because of the WWII that they could not afford to spend more money on printing full colour illustrations? I do not know. I am not an expert. However, I am not a fan. I realise Milhous was trying to copy the "Pennsylvania Dutch", but it does not feel or look quite right. Terrible sense of colour throughout the whole book. Monochromatic illustrations are the only ones I can stand to look at. Maybe this is just the case with my book? It is the Charles Scribner's Sons First Edition 1978.

"The Egg Tree" did not resonate with me at all. The one thing I did like about it is discovering that you could "blow" an egg, and then paint the shell to keep it forever. I have never heard of this before.

The last sentence makes no sense, because the eggs Kathy found were painted by her grandmother and not by the Easter Rabbit.

I'm sorry, but 2 stars is the best that I can give.

White Snow Bright Snow
White Snow Bright Snow
by Alvin Tresselt
Price: CDN$ 8.08
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Not fond of the colour scheme, but a great book, July 25 2014
This review is from: White Snow Bright Snow (Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed this story, even though it brings memories of the horrible Toronto winters in July. The poem had me a bit confused, because I thought it was a part of the story, so when I got to the first page of the actual story and everyone was saying how the snow was coming, but the poem said it covered the roads and fences... Well, I thought I may have missed a page or something. :-)

However, I love the simple loving story of the coming and leaving of snow. It was a different time and way of life way back in 1947 when the story was first published, but everything in the story is still true today. The adults have to go to work, while children love to play in the snow. I miss the days when snow meant snowmen, forts, and snowball fights. At this point in my life snow means grabbing a shovel and shovelling until I collapse, while work awaits in the never-quite-warm house.

It would be interesting to see what a modern writer could do with this story. For one thing there would not be a patiently waiting, caring, policeman's wife concerned with her husband's needs; though there are probably many of those in real life. I also doubt that there would be the simple peace of the story--something hectic would be happening and all the people would be rushing about forgetting to breathe.

I also find the illustrations quite charming, though the colour pallet is quite hideous in my opinion--people with orange-red faces are quite garish. I find I am not able to look at an illustration for too long. I'm also wondering if there was an accident at the printers resulting in this book.

However, the characters are charming, and the lines, beautiful.

The Big Snow
The Big Snow
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this book to anyone!, July 25 2014
This review is from: The Big Snow (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. It shows how different woodland animals get ready for winter. Then an unexpected Big Snow storm causes plenty of trouble. Will the animals starve?

A truly beautiful book and a perfect solution to working on a budget. Not all of the illustrations are coloured, but I love the sketchy pencil illustrations. My favourite is a page spread of a squirrel trying to avoid the falling snow flakes.

I would recommend this book to anyone.

(A book club's pick.)