Profile for Mili Fay > Reviews

Content by Mili Fay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mili Fay

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ruby Sparks [Blu-ray]
Ruby Sparks [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Paul Dano
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 89.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful. Hidden gem of a movie that moved me like no other has in years!, April 24 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Ruby Sparks [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A modern Pygmalion. Calvin is a troubled writer, a genius who wrote his "Great American Novel" at 19, but who has trouble coping with the social scene. He dreams of a girl, writes about her, and she comes to life. He can change her however he likes, but should he? What is it that makes a woman a perfect mate?

This movie blew me away. It is one of those hidden gems that enriched my life and changed it forever. Just beautiful. I have not been so moved by a movie since August Rush/Stardust.

I watched a DVD version from my local library, and now Ruby Sparks is on my Wish List.

Knight & Day (DVD/Blu-ray/Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
Knight & Day (DVD/Blu-ray/Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 7.00
25 used & new from CDN$ 4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous Move, But Oh So Funny!, March 24 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This movie is absolutely ridiculous, but I love it! It reminds me a bit of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" but much funnier. This is the way "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" should have been. A pure comedic fantasy.

Tom Cruise plays a James Bond type of character who has been set up by a fellow agent. Cameron Diaz was at the wrong place at the wrong time--or was it the right time to find true love? There is a ton of action and comedy that ensues. The directing is superb. In the hands of a lesser artist this movie could have been terrible, instead it is a pure gem.

If you are looking for a realistic type of thriller, this movie is not for you. However, if you are looking to be entertained, like romance, lots of action, and are not too serious, you will love this movie.

I just wanted the move, so I cannot comment on the extra features on the discs. The quality of the Blu-ray was great.

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (A Percy Jackson and the Olympians Guide)
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (A Percy Jackson and the Olympians Guide)
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations could be better. The book is a fun entryway into Greek Mythology., March 7 2015
If we are to believe the author, this book was written by the demigod Percy Jackson (you may have heard of him). It is an account of a teenager talking about his relatives, mainly the following Greek gods: Hestia, Demeter, Persephone, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, Zeus, Athena, Aphrodite, Ares, Hephaestus, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, and Dionysus.

I have loved all of Percy Jackson books, though at times I had issues with the colloquial language of the teenagers the author used. This book is the first where I actually had to read the language (I listened to the other books). I believe the language is better heard than read, but after I got use to it, I have enjoyed this book very much.

What makes this book different than other mythology books I have read in the past is that the author talks about these stories as if he was there observing the events as they happened. He also interprets the stories in a way relative to our time. For example:

"...Hermes was in charge of guiding dead souls to the Underworld. He was Zeus's personal FedEx service, carrying his boss's messages all around the globe with guaranteed overnight delivery..."

Because of this treatment the Greek gods feel familiar, as if they are our neighbours, people we can cross our yard and reach. As a reader I feel connected to them all. I also love Jackson's interpretation of every god; Kronos is a canibal, Ares is a bully, most of the gods have anger issues, Apollo is a narcissistic psychopath...

Reading between the lines, I got all the necessary information about each god; how they came to be, what their sacred animals are and why, etc.

If you are looking for some deep interpretation of the Greek gods, this may not be the book for you. However, if you are looking for an entertaining way to fill some gaps in your Mythologica studies, you'll love this book.

The illustrations are better at some times than others, but they carry the story well at all times. Apparently they were created "using graphite on paper, then colored digitally using various stains and textures". As an illustrator myself, I would not buy this book for the illustrations. At times they are too stiff and crude, anatomy tends to slide all over the place, they feel rushed... However, there are a few I've enjoyed. My personal favourite is Zeus facing Kampê.

I will definitely get the next book in this series.

Note: I got this book at my local bookstore.

The Scarecrow's Dance
The Scarecrow's Dance
by Jane Yolen
Price: CDN$ 15.87
37 used & new from CDN$ 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Artwork, Perfect Bedtime Story, Feb. 26 2015
Ce commentaire est de: The Scarecrow's Dance (Hardcover)
Beautiful. A story about a scarecrow inspired by the wind to dance. But anyone can dance, only a scarecrow can protect a field. ;-)

The story is simple and written in rhyme. The rhythm of the words is soothing. I think this will make a perfect bedtime story.

The illustrations are beautiful. They carry the sentiment of the story. Each one is a painting to be enjoyed at leisure. However, each one is also full of movement and grace. The staging is phenomenal. I think this illustrator may have been an animator, or at the very least a film buff.

Chasing Degas
Chasing Degas
by Eva Montanari
Price: CDN$ 20.71
38 used & new from CDN$ 3.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Story Illustrations Wanting, Feb. 26 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Chasing Degas (Hardcover)
This is a story of a little ballerina who swaps her bag with that of a prominent Impressionist painter: Edgar Degas. The bag he took holds her tutu for the evening performance and she must get it back. But will she be able to do so in time? With the help of other Impressionist artists, she just might.

Though, the story is fictional, it feels real, and it is a lot of fun. I'm an artist and Impressionism is my favourite period. As I was reading the story, I felt transported to the late 19th century where I caught glimpses of my favourite artists. I even managed to discover a new one, Mary Cassatt.

The illustrations roughly mimic Degas' style of painting, and though sometimes they are very crude, they carry the story along, giving it a sense of urgency. The illustrations seem to unravel and the angles sharpen as the little ballerina's time is running out, then they come together in the end.

I may get this book, or I may not. Though I like the story, I do find a lot of the illustrations in the book are a bit too crude to inspire me.

Tallulah's Tutu
Tallulah's Tutu
by Marilyn Singer
Price: CDN$ 22.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars What does it take to earn a tutu?, Feb. 26 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Tallulah's Tutu (Hardcover)
Loved it! It is a story about a little girl who only wants a tutu, but discovers that she loves ballet.

The story was real and funny. Tallulah is a little princess, who thinks the world revolves around her and her wishes, she can be bratty, but she is also a kind kid who learns her lessons.

The illustrations are gorgeous; whimsical, full of movement and emotions. Tallulah's face when her teacher tells her that it takes time and lots of practice to earn a tutu is priceless!

This book is definitely making its way to my shelf. :-)

Swine Lake
Swine Lake
by Maurice Sendak

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing can make you forget how hungry you are!, Feb. 26 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Swine Lake (Paperback)
Wonderful! A lone, hungry, mangy wolf finds his way in an unfamiliar part of town, only to discover "Swine Lake" playing in the New Ham Ster Dam Theater. His plan is to gobble up the dancers, but he soon discovers that there is more to the ballet than dancing pigs.

The writing is full of humour and filled with anticipation, the ending is enjoyably surprising.

Maurice Sendak's illustrations are wonderfully executed with humour not written in the text. They begin telling the wolf's story long before we read the first line.

Whether you are a fan of ballet or not, I think you would enjoy this story. I like it so much that this book may find it's way to my shelf one of these days.

Max
Max
by Rachel Isadora
Price: CDN$ 9.49
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Dancing is not only for girls., Feb. 26 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Max (Paperback)
Cute! At a first glance this a very simple cute story about a little boy, Max, who discovers that ballet is not just for girls. However, considering that the story was written back in 1976, it is a forward thinking piece of literature. These days, I find nothing strange about a boy taking ballet, but even in my youth (1990s) any boy who liked to dance was given a derogatory name of one sort or another.

This is a very gender-neutral book about dancing (quite yellow ;-) ) that I think both boys and girls will enjoy.

I read the Aladdin Paperbacks edition. As an artist, I find the pointillism illustrations quite charming, though I sometimes wonder if there is detail lost in the printing of my copy of the book, or if they are supposed to be that fuzzy. I like both Max's grin and his frown. Though the artist is clearly not an animator, the illustrations have a lot of movement.

This is a nice story. The reason I'm not giving it 5 Stars is because for me it does not go beyond nice, and I cannot see myself wanting to reread this book over and over again.

I got this book from my local library.

EOS Lip Balm Blueberry Acai Smooth Sphere (Pack of 1)
EOS Lip Balm Blueberry Acai Smooth Sphere (Pack of 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dries my lips and made the skin tighter and painful. Severely disappointed., Feb. 22 2015
I got this lip balm in the drugstore after reading so many positive reviews. I was excited to try it, but after using it for about a week, I have noticed that it dries my lips. The skin feels thinner and tighter, and it provides absolutely no protection against the cold. Severely disappointed, especially for such an exorbitant price. I'm going back to Burt's Bees.

FRiEQ® Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with 3.5 mm Aux Input Jack - Compatible with all Bluetooth enabled devices including iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Galaxy Note 2 / 3 and Other Smartphones - Dual USB Car Charger and Magnetic Base included
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat device, with set-up issues., Feb. 16 2015
I got the Frieq Bluetooth Car Kit for my sister. She works in a medical field, and I was sure a device that can help her answer her phone with a push of a single button would be very convenient; not to mention that she can also listen to the audio file reports on her phone while she drives and easily skip from one audio file to the next.

The device arrived promptly. The design is slim, small, and functional. The magnet could be affixed wherever you feel is most convenient and the device attaches via the said magnet, so that it could easily be removed from the car when not in use. However, please note that this DEVICE HAS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE CHARGER THE WHOLE TIME WHILE IN USE.

I've plugged the device using the dual USB charger and followed the instructions. This is where I've encountered my first problem. The instructions say that once the device is plugged in and charging, I should hold the home button for five seconds until the tiny light starts alternately flashing blue and red. The device kept flashing blue, but there was no red light. In my phone's Bluetooth settings the device was consequently not listed. It took me a few tries of pushing the button, but finally it flashed blue and red and I was able to connect the device to my phone.

Unfortunately, my sister's car is a 2005 Sebring and it does not have AUX input! Our family car is a 2012 Mazda 3, but it turns out that there is something wrong with the car's AUX input. Not the device's fault, but how could we use it?

Finally, I've hooked the device to my friend's car and it worked as advertised. It was extremely simple to answer the phone, and the sound came clearly through the speakers. The music played beautifully, too; however, your sound quality depends on the quality of your car's speakers not on the device.

In conclusion, my only issue with this device is the initial blue-red light setup. I held the button for five seconds: it flashed blue. I held the button again: it turned off. This went on for quite a while, until I finally managed to get the light flashing red and blue, and was able to connect my phone. Fortunately, the device did recognise my phone the following trip and I did not have to repeat the set-up process.

Can you use another phone with the device? Not if the first phone is in the car. The device does not control the car, but your phone, so that makes sense. If the first phone is not in the car... I don't know. I couldn't get the set-up process to repeat for my friend's phone. :-)

You should get this device:
- if you have a car with the 3.5 AUX input jack for your car's stereo
- if your car does not already come with the Bluetooth connection for your phone
- if you spend a lot of time in your car and need to take important calls
- if you want to listen to your phone's audio files

You should not get this device:
- if you do not have the patience to set up your device when the instructions don't work as easily as you expect

I've received this product for free in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5