Profile for Wayne > Reviews

Content by Wayne

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Wayne (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Olympus TG-1iHS 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
2 used & new from CDN$ 372.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged Camera takes Very Good Photos, Jan. 18 2013
I purchased this camera becaiuse the specification list put it above most all weather cameras. The camera is clearly designed for outdoor use. 3 of the scene settings are for taking underwater photos. While I do not plan to go swimming with this camera the all weather abilities appealed to me. The camera takes great pictures indoor as well.
It is worth spending a little more to get the adaptor ring.This allows you to use a telephoto and fish-eye lens which you must purchase separately.However even if you do not want the extra lens the adapter ring is still worth buying as you will be able to use filters and it also comes with a lens cap,something which does not come with the camera.I am enjoying the Tough-1iHS a lot.

Grimm: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
Grimm: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ David Giuntoli
Price: CDN$ 41.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 41.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I bought Blu-ray, Aug. 8 2012
I started watching Grimm last year on TV and it got off to a bit of a rough start.The characters are varied and interesting and as the season progressed the story became more compelling and by the end of the season it was firing on all cylinders.I cannot wait for season 2.
I am glad I got the Blu-ray version as the sound and picture are much better than even HD TV.The packaging is great and it includes a list of every one of the different character types that appeared in season 1 complete with their German name and their characteristics. The Blu-ray comes with 5 discs packaged in a very good quality heavy cardboard fold out book. I have not have time to watch the extras but the list includes an interactive guide, audition tapes and more.

IMAX: Hubble [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
IMAX: Hubble [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Price: CDN$ 21.98
6 used & new from CDN$ 9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-ray Viewing, May 12 2011
This video was filmed in high quality IMAX format and the high picture and sound quality shines in this Blu-ray format.The topic of this film is the Hubble telescope a voyage to distant stars that are not computer simulations but are created from Hubble photographs of deep space.The film also shows the various missions of the Space Shuttle where astronauts had to make a number of repairs and upgrades to the telescope.It shows how difficult the astronauts job was working in space on a complex and delicate piece of technology.If you have a sound system hooked up to your TV you are in for a special treat as the video captures the thunderous sound of the space shuttle launch.It's great viewing.

Le Noise
Le Noise
Price: CDN$ 14.36
56 used & new from CDN$ 2.11

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Bad, April 23 2011
This review is from: Le Noise (Audio CD)
It really is not only too bad but very bad.Neils voice comes through in the songs as a dissembodied echo surrounded by a halo of distorted guitar noise.If one song on the CD was like this maybe it would have worked but why every song.The sad part is that the melodys of most of the songs are good and if Neil had sang those songs with just his guitar this might have been a good album but my advice to you would be to save your money.

Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet
Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet
by Bill McKibben
16 used & new from CDN$ 2.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for the Future, Aug. 31 2010
I have read a number of climate change books and most of them are very pessimistic about the future of earths climate.The are written either by scientists or journalists who's books are based on scientists research.This book is a bit different in that the first half describes in disturbing detail the degree to which our planets climate is changing but the second half offers real hope that if we take action soon we can survive the inevitable changes that are here now or soon will be.The future depends on individuals building a fiture in living in smaller communities and surviving on locally made products.If you read only one book on climate change then this is the best one.

Ancestor: A Novel
Ancestor: A Novel
by Scott Sigler
18 used & new from CDN$ 1.39

5.0 out of 5 stars This Novel is Very Good, Aug. 30 2010
This review is from: Ancestor: A Novel (Hardcover)
I have read previous novels by Scott Sigler "Contagious" and "Infected" and enjoyed both of them.As good as the other books were "Ancestor" is much better than his other novels.The characters are interesting and the plot is unpredictable making for a very interesting story.If you enjoy thrillers or horror novels then read this book.It is about the best monster novel I have ever read.

North Face
North Face
DVD ~ Benno Fürmann
Price: CDN$ 21.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Movie, July 25 2010
This review is from: North Face (DVD)
The North Face refers to the Eiger, a mountain in the Switzerland Alps.The north face of this mountain is very hard to climb. Since 1935 64 climbers have died trying to scale this part of the mountain.
This is the true story of one of these attempts.In 1936 the Nazi's sent climbers to scale the mountain hoping that the first to climb the north face would be Germans.This is one of the most suspensful movies I have ever seen.The movie is very realistic and while watching this movie I wondered how they filmed it as the realism and great acting is amazing.Make sure your popcorn is made in advance as you will not want to miss one moment of this film.It is in German with subtitles.

Creative Black and White: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques
Creative Black and White: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques
by Harold Davis
Price: CDN$ 22.56
35 used & new from CDN$ 19.05

4.0 out of 5 stars You Should Know Photoshop, May 9 2010
I am an average photographer who does not do enhancing of my photos on photoshop except for cropping.I do not even own photoshop and that is where this book and I part company. There are many amazing photographs in this book , most of them have been enhanced with photoshop.I would not recommend this book to anyone who does not know photoshop as this is what the athor uses to create better Black and White photos.So how do I rate this book. It is good at what it does but it does not explain what I want which is creating better B&W photos using my camera or finding the proper lighting.If you like enhancing your pictures on the computer then get this book.If you don't then do not buy it.

The Sign
The Sign
by Raymond Khoury
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 11.25
64 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away, April 22 2010
This review is from: The Sign (Mass Market Paperback)
I foolishly bought this book in a bookstore based on the cover and the description of the story based on the back cover.When I got home and started to read it I knew after reading only a few pages of very bad writing I had wasted my money and after only 1 chapter I threw this book into the garbage.I would not waste my time reading further.Don,t waste your money on this book.

The Silent Man
The Silent Man
by Alex Berenson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
111 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Espionage-Thriller, April 16 2010
This is a very good book right from page 1. The story background is very realistic with real world situations playing an important role in the plot.The writing is good, even the minor characters are interesting and there is a high degree of detail in locations and story elements.If you like thrillers and have not read this book it is certainly worth a look.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3